A Much Needed Haircut

by Meghann on July 8, 2011

When’s the last time you had a hair cut?

Before this afternoon, my last was…umm.. December? Yep ,December. At Acaj. In Orlando. Using an Eversave deal. (The power of having a blog is remembering all these little details with the click of a button. ;))

Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 3.07.22 PM.png

Let’s see, December was – what? – over 7 months ago now? Yikes! I’ve been busy. And lazy. And – dang! – time flies.

Suddenly my hair began to look like this.

262090_10100908812319673_5207154_70314935_7421864_n.jpg

Ok, unfair shot. I had actually taken the time to straighten my hair before this photo was taken on Wednesday, but you get the gist that it was long and a little out of control.

Back in January, I had purchased an Eversave deal for Tranquility Escape Salon – that included a haircut, conditioning treatment, and style for $19 – in anticipation of my future move. Talk about a steal! I sat on the save for months and finally found the time to use it today.

Tranquility Escape Salon is a one woman shop with an owner who was just as sweet and bubbly that I would hope any stylists would be. She immediately agreed that my hair was out of control and needed help. She took my save deal with a smile and got to work.

I’m currently in the process of growing my hair out for Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths program. My goal is donate 10 inches to the cause and hope that it goes to make a wig for someone in need. I have A. Lot. Of. Hair. and with a lot of hair comes a lot of responsibility. I’ve been really kind to it lately by easing up on the straightener, just saying no to hair dye (not an ounce of dye or highlights have touched my head since January 2010), and keeping it super conditioned and clean.

The stylist knew my donation goals ahead of time and suggested a half an inch trim, simple around the face styling, and a round with the thinning scissors to remove the bulk.

I was left with a healthier, lighter head of hair.

I still have the length, but it just feels healthier. Plus, it smells good now too. Love! πŸ™‚

The back. Sort of.

Man, my car is MESSY! And is that a gray hair I spy?!?!?! I’m just going to say it’s the lighting and move on…

The haircut appointment was at a weird time (12:15), so I had a serving of leftover rice before heading out the door at a quarter to noon.

I wanted to pack a lunch and head to a coffee shop afterwards to eat, but we have ZERO food in the house. My second thought was to check out Wicked Wiches (a new Food Truck to Tampa), but it was POURING when I left. Finally I decided to head to another Tampa spot I’ve been dying to try.

Viitals is a Gluten-Free/ vegan friendly Bakery & Cafe in the Seminole Heights area of Tampa. I’ve heard about it through the grapevine and was told it was THE place to go for good food and baked goods.

The menu was full of yummy looking panninis, smoothies and drinks.

And their dessert case was full of cupcakes, cookies, and macaroons.

All organic, gluten free, and – the majority of which- Β vegan.

When I asked the owner what was good he told me that was like asking which was his favorite child – they’re all good! He then asked what [allergies] brought me in today. I think he was a bit surprised I had no food allergies and ate meat, but still liked trying new places. He must not get a lot of allergy free omivores in the door. πŸ˜‰

I settled on the Refresh Vegan Pannini with a Blueberry ‘Mojito’.

The Refresh Vegan had a garbanzo bean spread, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, organic spinach, and lemon juice on a housemade gluten free bread.

The tang of the lemon juice complemented the salty olive and bean spread to a t. Grilled hummus always reminds me of a grilled cheese. πŸ™‚

My only complaint was how tiny the sandwich was. The menu board claimed the sandwich came in at 220 calories and I can see why

( know – I NEED to cut my nails. Add that to my list of things to do, as well as cutting my hair (oh! I did that!), sleeping, and laundry)

The Blueberry ‘Mojito’ was a blend of coconut water, blueberries, limes, and mint leaves.

It tasted just like a mojito! Except it was missing that alcoholic kick. It also could have used a sweetener. πŸ˜‰

The cupcakes are seriously staring me down.

I see dessert in my future.. πŸ˜‰

1 Karen at Losing to Win July 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Great new hair cut – looks so bouncy and healthy!
Karen at Losing to Win recently posted..Some runs are easier than others

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love getting my haircut — having someone else brush or comb my hair feels so good to me!

My MIL recently chopped 12 inches off of her hair to donate and my SIL chopped off 10 inches or so to donate as well. It is a nice thing to do!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Bowl of Bacon

3 Meg July 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Your hair looks great! I haven’t had a haircut since December either…I guess I should schedule one soon πŸ™‚
Meg recently posted..What I’ve Been Learning…

4 Alicia at Poise in Parma July 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I’m so bad about getting my haircut. I just had mine cut last Tuesday the 28th. Before that though, it was NOVEMBER! It took me awhile to find a new stylist, but I took a chance on a nearby salon and am extremely happy with the new do.

…and I’m jealous of that gluten free lunch spot. None here in CLE to enjoy quite yet…
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..28 at 28: A New 5K PR on the Way to Laguna Beach

5 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Love your new ‘do! I’m getting my hair cut next week… hopefully it will look as good as yours!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Kombucha, fashion, and old school

6 Dani July 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Love that ‘do! Seriously, it looks so, so good on you!

That sandwich looks mmm mmm good, too!

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm

How do your nails not break or chip at that length!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemon, rosemary, thyme avocado hummus

8 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I have my Dad’s nails – they’re naturally super strong and thick (just like my hair)

9 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

wow 220 calories for a sandwich sounds too good to be true (regardless of size)… I hate that sandwiches can be so much because the bread alone is usually over 100 calories a slice!

I love the new haircut! I am getting mine done tomorrow and CANT wait!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Celebrating One Year As A Vegetarian…

10 Angela @ pinching and packing July 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm

You are in my neighborhood! It’s a lot cuter off Florida ave, I swear! I love viitals! Their chocolate chip cookies are my fave dessert. Have you been to grass roots, the vegan restaurant a little further south on the florida ave? I have been meaning to try it forever!
Angela @ pinching and packing recently posted..Fit Travel Friday – The Poor Man’s Brick Workout

11 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Still haven’t! I keep meaning to though!

12 Cait's Plate July 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

LOVE the cut! It looks so good πŸ™‚ I’m in dire need of one myself…
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Do Like the Mediterraneans Do

13 Amy Chien July 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Well, which dessert did you end up getting? Don’t keep us in suspense! πŸ˜›

14 Amy July 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Daaaaaaang! I’m totally in the same boat. Last time I got a haircut was December 2010, too! My hair grows like a weed and is creeping past mid-back length. This might have been the push I needed to get a cut (trim?). I’m just super picky about going to new places since I had a mullet horror story cut during college. Ahh anyone know of any great, inexpensive places in NYC?!

15 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Girl your hair looks HOT! You’ve just inspired me to take advantage of the “Hey it’s been 6 weeks since your last appointment!” call and actually make one.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Skinny Dipping.

16 Kim @ The Crunchy Kind July 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I just got my hair ‘trimmed’ last Friday for the first time since… SEPTEMBER. Yeah, it’s that bad. I’m also trying to grow mine out to donate it as well and it’s currently the longest its been since probably the 4th grade.
Kim @ The Crunchy Kind recently posted..let’s go grocery shopping

17 Bee Goes Bananas July 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I go so long without cutting my hair! Because my hair is generally very healthy and I don’t get split ends, I’ll go 8 or 10 months before cutting it. Yikes!

18 Dori July 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Haircut looks great! And so does that mojito, what a delicious drink!
Dori recently posted..I Am Really Excited About Everything in the Month of July

19 Laurie July 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Man! I wish I had your hair!!!

20 Christie July 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Yesss!! Did you go for the dessert?!?!?!

Hair looks AWE-some! Hooray!
Christie recently posted..Bill Clinton, Jake Gyllenhaal and Carrots n Cake… oh yeah, and Icelandic Deliciousness

21 Sophie July 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Your hair looks great πŸ™‚ …almost as good as that lunch!!
Sophie recently posted..Guest Posting.

22 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love the feeling of a clean cut! Looks great!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Threaded.

23 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Your hair looks so pretty! I got mine cut earlier this week :). I love getting my hair done!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Tilapia Citrus Couscous Salad

24 Hillary July 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I only get my hair cut every six months for two reasons:
1. My hair is outrageously curly and doesn’t really grow down—it grows out. I know that seems like I should have to get it cut more often, but I don’t!
2. I go to a stylist who specifically cuts curly hair, and she charges a ton of money. It’s worth it, but I can’t afford it more than I already go!
Hillary recently posted..In A Jam

25 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

You look great. I really love the new cut!

26 Kat July 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I just donated to Pantene in April and I’m so glad you’re donating to them instead of Locks of Love. So many people aren’t aware that it’s basically a sham organization and it makes me sad.

27 Courtney W July 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I didnt know that. Where can I find out more info? I have 10 inches that I cut off a little while ago and was going to mail to Locks of Love. You convinced me to at least look at other options.
Courtney W recently posted..Fear of Failure

28 Sam July 9, 2011 at 10:23 am

You can look here & see a lot of the info. Apparently they also do not meet the Better Business Bureau of Charity Accountability. It just bothers me that they do not consider chemotherapy a good enough reason to help a child get a wig.

29 Courtney W July 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Thanks! I can’t believe that. Hopefully the word starts to spread because I know a lot of people that want to donate at some point.
Courtney W recently posted..Fear of Failure

30 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I donated my hair three years ago. I like my long hair, so it felt really funny cutting it all off, but I’m so glad that I did it. Your hair looks really cute!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Gratitude Friday

31 Halley (Blunder Construction) July 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Ha, I am just a faithful reader, but it’s true. You did need a haircut! I’m the worst with them, I wait forever and always get reprimanded by the stylist. I never change.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Goat Cheese Tuna Melts

32 Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm

there’s a resemblance of you and Kate Middleton on the before-haircut picture πŸ™‚

I was growing ou my hair and make it as long as possible for my wedding, but that was last month and I am ready to chop some inches off too.
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Tuna Casserole

33 Caitlin July 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm

that mojito looks awesome!
and you should def. grab a dessert. It is Friday-you deserve it!!

34 Courtney W July 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I love the haircut!!!! And I am really excited you tried that gluten-free bakery in Seminole Heights. This was the place I mentioned to you and I loved that you picked up on the owners excitement for his food πŸ™‚
Courtney W recently posted..Fear of Failure

35 Stephanie July 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I love the haircut! I am trying to do the same, no clue when my last cut was though, eek! I have been worried about the length of the hair running though …
Stephanie recently posted..Stephanie’s Slump….Makes Her Laugh??? Can you help?

36 G July 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I grew out my hair for almost three years and finally donated it a couple of weeks ago. Such a great feeling!!! πŸ™‚

37 Rachel Wilkerson July 8, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Pretty hair!

38 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I see dessert in your future too….literally πŸ˜‰ I mean check out that case!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..When It’s Time

39 Lauren July 8, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Your hair looks great Meghann! A fresh hair cut is always so relieving. Gosh, I wish I could say I go 7 months in between hair appointments. I would be so much richer! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Blame It On The Rain

40 Hilary July 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Nicely done on the hair…I also had mine cut this week after it had been a while..feels so good! And donating your hair is such a great cause! I did it 3 years ago. Minus the olives, the sandwich looks good.
Hilary recently posted..6 months ago today….

41 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm

LOVE the haircut!! Super cute. I’ve donated my hair twice as my dad has chronic luekemia and I never regretted it.

That little bakery looks too cute – and gluten free bread is normally way smaller than other breads because it doesn’t rise as much!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..there’s a reason for everything

42 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love your hair! I haven’t gotten my hair cut in uh, about a year…
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Bike Friendly

43 Jacqueline @smartsolitude.com July 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm

The grey hair comment was the best πŸ™‚ too funny.

44 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Your hair looks awesome!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..20 Minute Elliptical Hill Climb Workout

45 Erica July 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Your hair looks great girl! I got a haircut a few weeks back. It was much needed. A vegan bakery? How cool. We had a new vegetarian/vegan restaurant open nearby recently. I totally need to check it out. Hope you and D are doing well. Have a great weekend
Erica recently posted..BBQ in a Bowl, Uncle Sam Granola Bars & Giveaway

46 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries July 8, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Your cut looks great! The best way to keep your hair healthy when you’re growing it is with regular trims, otherwise you’re prone to split ends and breakage. Donating it is a lovely goal.

And those back-of the-head grays are the worst. I check in the mirror every so often, but by the time I can see one it is always really long. Yuck.

I’m getting an overdue haircut tomorrow and I can’t wait. Love getting a professional blowout!
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Dreaming vs doing

47 Krystina (Organically Me) July 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..5 Healthy Foods I Love

48 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Wow that sandwich looks so awesome – artichokes and kalamata olives, two of my favorite fancy salad toppers! And I’m just as bad about getting my hair cut, I think it’s been since March for me. Eep!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Ginormous Salad

49 katie July 8, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Your hair looks beautiful! Mine needs a cut so bad, and I got highlights last month, bad mistake, it fried my hair : p

The blueberry drink looks very good ; ) I agree, with alcohol that would be yummy!
katie recently posted..Five on { friday }

50 Cate July 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Your new cut looks great! πŸ™‚
I just got my hair cut today as well, needed to get rid of some of the bulk. A new haircut always feels good.
Cate recently posted..Taste of Chicago – WIAW

51 Rachel July 9, 2011 at 3:24 am

I’ve lately been toying with the idea of cutting my hair short again – after reading this I’m motivated to grow it out a little more and then donate it. Thanks for the inspiration! πŸ™‚

52 Rachel July 9, 2011 at 3:24 am

53 maria @ Chasing the Now July 9, 2011 at 5:13 am

I am SO proud of you for growing your hair out to donate it. I’ve done it once before and will be doing it again next month. It really is a big commitment for me because I hate my hair long and my hair grows so slow. Can’t wait to chop it off!!!
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..My month without cow’s milk

54 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 9, 2011 at 5:52 am

Your haircut looks GREAT, and I’m super jealous of that bakery. It looks incredible!
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..β€œSkittles” Nails

55 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 9, 2011 at 7:43 am

WOW- your hair looks GREAT!!!

Is that your bike in the backseat? How the heck did you fit that in your car?? I tried once, there was NO way my bike was going in the backseat (Maybe your car is bigger than mine though, I drive a pontiac grandam.)
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..Moving Sucks and Simple Summer Guacamole

56 Meghann July 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

Trust me, I have a tiny two door Echo. If I can fit my bike in my car – then anyone can fit their bike in their car! I just had to take the front wheel off. It’s a tight fit, but it works. πŸ™‚

57 Dee @ GF Grad Nut July 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

Aww, yay! Just last week I chopped off 12 inches for Beautiful Lengths! Nothing like a good summer haircut!

58 Meghann July 9, 2011 at 11:45 am

I was joking that my hair will probably be long enough to cut short just when the weather is cooling down again. I picked the wrong season to grow my hair out in! πŸ™‚

59 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Looks great! I just got my hair cut too!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Friday Night Meal

60 Julie July 10, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Cute hair!

61 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 11, 2011 at 5:00 am

Was it really that long ago? I remember that haircut and it certainly doesn’t seem like it was way back in December.

Wait, is it creepy that I remember that? Yeah, we’re going to slip that way with your gray hair discovery and pretend neither happened. πŸ˜›
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Zucchini pizza appetizers – Who needs a crust?