Safe and Sound in Tampa

by Meghann on July 7, 2011

I’m home! I’m home! Whoopie!

The drive between Orlando and Tampa really isn’t that bad. Give me an ipod full of ballads and I’m good. I swear my sings skills have improved immensely since I started commuting back and forth so much.

I made it home just before noon and – after a quick changed – headed straight to the pool.

Surprisingly the pool was EMPTY at 12:30. Good to know for the future, since it’s usually packed at 7:00. I had my pick of lanes and didn’t even have to share.

I spent 60 minutes in the pool completing the Pace Swim Workout Courtney had created for me at the beginning of training. I managed to hold a sub 2:00/100 yds through the entire workout and amped it up by adding a few laps with the kick boards and breaststroke.

It felt good to working up a sweat in the water!

The knee [and stitches] held up well! I had to shift my weight to my right leg when pushing off the wall, but besides that I felt great.

And all 4 were still in tact post-swim.

My Arepas Sandwich was filling this morning. Even after my swim, shower, and taking Maddie for a walk, I still wasn’t hungry.

Finally after 3:00 I made myself a snack plate just because I knew I should eat something.

Apples & Carrots with Peanut Butter

Cherry Chobani with Uncle Sam Cereal and Chocolate Chips

Man, today has flown by!

1 Mary July 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

glad to hear your stitches held up in the pool! you’re a speedster in the pool!
Mary recently posted..Sleeping in

2 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Cherry Chobani is my FAVORITE but it is so hard to find sometimes! Not all the grocery stores around my house have the cherry flavor so when I do find it I stock up!!!!!! …and next time I do have it you better believe I am adding chocolate chips!!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Addicted to Pancakes

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I love good, hard swims that get my heart rate reallY up (or else then it feels like a waste of time. ha). Glad you’re back safe!

Everything is better with choc chips sprinkled on top…..
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Mango Muffins + Thankful Thursday

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Chocolate chips in cereal is genius!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemon, spinach and feta linguine

5 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Swimming will be great for your knee. Keep up the great work! I love reading about your HIM training πŸ™‚
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Woooo swimming!! I am so glad that you are there safe and sound. Enjoy the SUN!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Blonde overload ain’t no thang.

7 Cait's Plate July 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Yay! Glad the stitches held up okay with the swim πŸ™‚ That snack plate looks delish – it’s always my go-to when I’m not hungry but know I should eat as well πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Wish List

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Time has flown by today — the workday is almost done!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Poor Man’s Garmin

9 Janiek July 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Just found your blog through the swimmerjoe: fitblogger video. Love your blog!! And I’ll def. be following your posts! (already went throug a lot of them, haha)

10 Chloe (South Beach Girl) July 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

So glad you can swim and your knee is fine! I was wondering if you would do a post on how moving to a new city, living with a boyfriend, commuting for work and having a busy schedule has impacted your eating and exercise habits and what you’ve done to overcome some of the changes. It would be great to hear your perspective, thanks πŸ™‚
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..July Plan of Attack

11 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

haha – aren’t all those topics essentially the foundation for my blog. πŸ˜‰

I’ll try to work some individual posts on the topics in there. Gotta think about how to write though! πŸ™‚

12 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Wait wait wait…do you eat the peanut butter ON the carrots? Or are they eaten solo, and then the pb is for the apple? I must know this.

You are perrrrty. πŸ™‚
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Style Focus: Emma Watson Edition

13 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 9:21 am

YES! PB on carrots is where it’s at! Try it – trust me on this one. πŸ˜‰

14 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 8, 2011 at 11:41 am

Ok, I just had to come and report back.

I tried the PB on carrots today. Good lord, you were right girl! I never would have thought of trying that, but YUM. Thanks!
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Friday Fitness Wrap-up!

15 Bee Goes Bananas July 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’ve never eaten pb with carrrots. So weird!

16 Christine @ BookishlyB July 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I’m all about rocking out in the car when I drive long distances! I may even do a little seat dancing, which everyone I know would find hilarious because I neither sing or dance in public.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..This is Why I’m Not a Writer

17 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Can I just say that your eyes match the color of the pool water?
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

18 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm

yay for empty pools!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Crack-tastic besan and thyme crackers

19 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I am curious how you time your laps? I don’t swim, but am open to it, so I’d love to know how you track it!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Chi Chi Chi Chia!

20 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 9:25 am

I have a cheap waterproof watch from Target I wear. There’s a photo of it in this post: http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/06/06/him-training-pace-swim/

21 Charli [charlisquest] July 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Your stitches look painful. I am sure they are fine, but I have a weak stomach for that stuff. Yay for the pool and lucky for you no down pour on the way home. It was a bit scary on I-4 this afternoon.
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..Parking within the lines

22 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I used to love working out in the morning but now? During the day is where it’s at! The gym is EMPTY!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sick, Again.

23 Alaina July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Good news on the knee! That’s great! I’m sure the pool is refreshing on a hot day. Although, maybe not since you work up such a sweat. πŸ˜›
Alaina recently posted..The Fourth of July

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I need to find a pool that’s deserted midday. I’m too scared to share with other people!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW and Sneaky Exercise

25 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I love singing in the car too! However, I don’t think it’s actually improved my abilities at all, haha!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Fashion Dreaming…

26 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Yay for swimming!!! Ar eyou allowed to swim with stitches? That seems like a “no no” to me!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..how i do β€˜it’ – time management

27 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

I know – I was shocked when the doc gave me clearance. Her only rule was to wait at least 24 hours before getting them wet. After that it was fair game!

28 Roseanne July 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I recently found your blog through another blog that I read and I absolutely LOVE it! I also have a cooking blog (which is fairly new) and live in the Tampa area! From reading some of your posts it sounds like you are fairly new to this area. If you need any suggestions on great places to eat/go/workout I would love to share some of my favs! πŸ™‚ I hope your knee is feeling better!!

29 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 9:49 am

Welcome Roseanne! I moved to Tampa in March and am having a ball finding my way around! I’m always up for new suggestions!

30 Hilary July 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Good swim and good snack….I just LOVE an empty (or near-empty) pool…makes the swim that much more relaxing.
Hilary recently posted..All around the mulberry bush

31 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That yogurt bowl looks awesome!

32 Amy July 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Your tasting plates always look so good!
Amy recently posted..Facebook is the new CNN