My First Arepa Sandwich

by Meghann on July 7, 2011

Good Morning!

I’m blogging from the cutest like bakery/ cafe in Orlando.

I was actually on a mission to find a local bakery with good scones on my way back to Tampa this morning (I <3 scones), but all my google and yelp searches fell short of finding anything that was opened for breakfast with a decent scone on the menu and didn’t involve a 30 min+ detour. Bummer.

What I did find was a plethora of Spanish bakeries that came highly recommended. The Venezia Bakery & Cafe right off 417 came highly recommended via Yelp, so I set my GPS and headed straight there.

There were no scones, muffins, or bagels here. Instead guava pastries, empanadas, and golpeados lined the case.

When I asked what was good for breakfast, the girl behind the counter recommended the Arepa sandwich. An arepa is a spanish corn cake that’s fried. It’s incredible greasy, but also incredible delicious. I requested my arepa stuffed with egg and cheese.

The flavor in this sandwich was amazing. The fried arepa was very moist and the melted white cheese mixed with the corn cake and egg was heaven.

Not exactly the sweet scone I was hoping for, but when in Rome? 😉

I also had an iced coffee with skim milk to wash it all down.

Time to hit the road and head back home. I see a good swim in my future. The doc gave me the go ahead to swim with the stitches, so you better believe I’ll be taking advantage. I can’t wait to hit that water!

1 Faith @ lovelyascharged July 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Ooh, I’m a sucker for a good egg and cheese sandwich – that looks like a baller variation!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..A Few Days Late

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yum, I love arepas, but I’ve never had one for breakfast! Sounds like an amped up egg sandwich!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Christo’s Café

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

Arepa sandwiches are amazing! Such a good treat 🙂
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemon, spinach and feta linguine

4 Shanna, Like Banana July 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

While the arepa looks tasty, I now want a scone!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Pregnancy 1st Trimester: Good, Bad, and Ugly

5 Mary July 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

that sammie looks sooo good!

good luck with the swim!
Mary recently posted..Sleeping in

6 Christie July 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yum! Guava pastries sound divine! And empanadas?? For breakfast? Hmm. I never would have thought of that as a breakfast thing, although THEY, as WELL, are divine. Haha. Glad you enjoyed your scone substitute!
Christie recently posted..Iceland! In Brief

7 Hillary July 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

Oh. My. Goodness.

That looks heavenly. I might have to recreate at home!

8 Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com July 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

Holy smokes that look soooo good right now. Way more delicious than my sad apple sitting on my desk. Thanks for making all of us hungry 🙂

Hope the knee is feeling better!
Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com recently posted..Marathon training Week 9

9 Gwen July 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

I had my first arepa at this amazing little hole in the wall spot in New York City. They had so many kinds and it was AHMAZING. We’ve been drreaming about them ever since!
Gwen recently posted..Desperately Seeking Gwen, Circa May 2006

10 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’d rather have a savory sandwich like that instead of a scone any day!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Poor Man’s Garmin

11 Molly July 7, 2011 at 10:52 am

I had my first arepa on Sunday! It was a chicken avacado salad and it was AMAZING. I am drooling just thinking about it.
Molly recently posted..You and Tequila make me crazy

12 Hope July 7, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’ve never had an arepa before. It looks delicious though! Looks like the perfect breakfast to me! Have fun swimming! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Big Brother…

13 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 7, 2011 at 10:58 am

Wow, that looks like the best breakfast sandwich ever!

Cheese and eggs and a fried corn cake? Heaven!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Peaches and roasted red peppers

14 Margo @ peanut butter trees July 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

That looks like the perfect hangover sandwich! 😉
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Upping the miles, upping the veggies

15 Katie G. July 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

I fell in love with Arepa’s at Bonnarroo Music Festival…the perfect greasy late night snack! Looks delicious with egg added to it!! Yum yum!
Katie G. recently posted..Beachin’ It

16 Laura July 7, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love arepas! They are amazing for breakfast as well as any meal, depending what you fill them with. You pictures make me hungry for one right now!!
Laura recently posted..I just ate a papa rellena and salad…together, which…

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 7, 2011 at 11:35 am

A good swim always feels so amazing, so have fun!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Mango Muffins + Thankful Thursday

18 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 7, 2011 at 11:43 am

I think that Arepas are my favorite Spanish/Mexican inspired meal ever known to mankind.

MY KINGDOM FOR A POCKET OF CHEESE!

19 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Holy bananas, that sandwich looks amazing! Good choice, it seems. 🙂
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Style Focus: Emma Watson Edition

20 Cait's Plate July 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Oh MAN! I don’t know what’s better – that iced coffee or that sandwich!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Wish List

21 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Too bad there are no Great Harvests in Florida. They have the BEST scones in the universe!
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #19: Sunny Seed Faces

22 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Ok, if you make it to nyc, myself of another one of the fab NYC bloggers will have to take you to Caracas Arepa Bar. OHMAHGAWD. And they have killer cocktails.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..make you shake your pants take a chance…and a bountiful blueberry breakfast!

23 Chloe (South Beach Girl) July 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Yum! That looks like my kind of breakfast – I love savory breakfasts and will choose that any day over sweet.
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..July Plan of Attack

24 Lauren July 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

That sounds amazing!
Lauren recently posted..Me? A Spinning Instructor?

25 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’ve never heard of that before, but anything stuffed with cheese is good by me 🙂

26 Courtney July 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm

That place is in Hunter’s Creek! I have never been because I did not know what a hispanic bakery would have, but now I know…and I want what you had! Thanks for the info!

27 Heather July 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

When I was in Spain, I would go to the bakeries every morning for breakfast, and my favorite was Spanikopita – spinach and feta cheese inside of a pastry? Yes please!

28 Errign July 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I am a total scone lover too! Bob’s Red Mill makes a good mix (Scottish scones with currants), but nothing beats a good bakery/farmer’s market scone. Here in Asheville, at a couple of the farmer’s markets, a lady sells savory scones that have spinach & basil, smoked gouda & red pepper, etc. SO good.
Errign recently posted..Wednesday Walks, Markets & Packages.

29 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Looks like a pretty cool place!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Wine & Dine Wednesday: Week 3

30 karin July 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That sandwich looks amazing! Enjoy your swim!!

31 Sarah July 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

oo yumm!! That arepa seriously gave me a craving for eggs and cheese. I know what I’m having for lunch!
Sarah recently posted..Meal of Champion

32 Stephanie July 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Always on the lookout for good places and bakeries. I love scones. I went to my favoirte place to get one the other day and they were out of the blueberry ones i love 🙁

33 Carissa July 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

You are the new queen of I-4! Back and forth from Tampa with a fury! The arepa looks good..I had one in Puerto rice one time and it was fab! I need to get better on using Yelp!
Carissa recently posted..Tomato and feta stuffed chicken and rest days

34 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm

wowzers, that looks awesome!!! I’ve never heard of them… must try!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Zebra Pudding– Where Have I Been?

35 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog July 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’m Colombian, arepas are our daily breakfast staple back at home. There’s a gazillion ways you can fix them & they’re delicious every. single. time. Love!
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Lets Shop…Running Shoes!

36 Tiffany July 7, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Yum arepas are soooo.good , also had my first one recently with steak, black beans, fried plantains, cheese, and tomatoes…amazing!!!
Saw your blog thru pbfingers swimmerjoe vid, I’m also a triathlete! 🙂 training for an im, did my first him last may

37 Meredith July 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

i love arepas!!! one of the few things i miss about miami.

38 Amy July 9, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Oh that looks so good!
Amy recently posted..Facebook is the new CNN