more ยป" />

Buffalo Chicken Tenders

by Meghann on July 7, 2011

Do you ever have one of those evenings where you accidentally put off dinner until you’re so hangry your significant other is afraid you might literally eat him?

Yep, that was me tonight.

Derek and I had planned to head to Target after he got off work for beach stuff (2 more days until vacation!!). Well, ‘after work’ turned into 7:00 and heading to Target for a ‘quick trip’ turned into a 2 hour outing. By the time we got home close to 9:00 I could have ate the food out of Maddie’s dog bowl ad been satisfied.

Lucky for me, dinner was already marinating in the fridge.

Some chicken tenders chilling in a heavy drench of the Buffalo KC Masterpiece Marinade I had received via the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program last week.

IMG_8416.jpg

The pre-drenched chicken was coated with a mix of wheat bran (my new favorite bread crumb substitute), flour, salt, and pepper.

Baked at 400 for 20 minutes

I was impatient when I haphazardly coated the chicken tenders, so they weren’t as crispy as I’d like, but they were still good. The subtle flavor of the buffalo sauce gave just a hint of spice and flavor that complimented the white chicken breast well.

Do you know what goes hand and hand with buffalo sauce?

Blue Cheese Dressing

IMG_8438.jpg

Sweet Potato Fries

And Brussels Sprouts

Having already planned the meal in my head and prepped the chicken, saved me from stopping at some random spot on the way home for food. Setting the time aside to prep dinner in advance is always worth the outcome. ๐Ÿ™‚

I enjoyed a ice cream sandwich for dessert.

My parents say hi from Kannasakis today.

263495_10150250422755750_502505749_7167746_6697289_n.jpg

They almost make me want to go to the mountains instead of the beach. Almost.

269011_10150250416420750_502505749_7167687_3561851_n.jpg

What about you? The mountains or the beach? Which would you choose?

1 melissa (fitnessnyc) July 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm

tough call. beach wins 3 out of 4 times, but I do love the mountains!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Hotlanta

2 Amy July 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I’ve lived at the beach for 20 years (PEI) and the mountains for 20 years (Alberta)–hands down winner is the mountains! LOVE THEM!!

3 Amy July 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm

ACK…make that 10 years at the mountains!

4 Ashley July 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm

What a yummy dinner!! I love everything on your dinner plate ๐Ÿ™‚
Ashley recently posted..Zebra Puddingโ€“ Where Have I Been?

5 Lindsey July 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Seeing as I live maybe 2 hours from Kannasakis and the mountains, I say beach! I think you always want what you don’t have! haha. We have lakes near by but I love the ocean!
Hope your parents are enjoying Alberta!
Lindsey recently posted..The Little Garden That Could

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Beach always beats out the mountains for me, although where they are does look gorgeous.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemon, spinach and feta linguine

7 Amy July 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This is why I love I’ve come to love Seattle…because you can lay on the beach with an amazing view of the mountains. ๐Ÿ™‚ Best of both worlds!
Amy recently posted..amymoerkehall: Ok, so this Nadal guy is kind of a beast, huh?

8 Allison @ PickyEatingRD July 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm

The beach sounds soooo perfect right now. I think it is cause I just got back from a cold weather vacay. I need the ocean and sand ASAP!

9 Katherine July 7, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Definitely the beach, I am not much of a hiker ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Chloe (South Beach Girl) July 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Beach! Only because I see mountains every day ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m a spoiled Northwest girl!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..What is this thing you call homework?

11 Sana July 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I love the hike, but I need the beach!
Sana recently posted..Living in fear is just no way to live.

12 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

In answer to the question at the beginning of your post, no, I never have those nights because when I have to eat, I have to EAT, and I stop everything.

It get annoying sometimes, so I’ve always admired people who can put off eating even when they’re hungry, though. Be glad you can!
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #19: Sunny Seed Faces

13 Syl July 7, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Kananaskis and the lower and upper lakes are my favorite spot, so gorgeous, and only a short drive for me.
Are your parents coming to Calgary for the stampede?

14 Leigh July 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Definitely the beach! But then again it’s hard to say no to mountains when they are right in my back yard ๐Ÿ™‚ If only I liked the snow though!
Leigh recently posted..Would you rather Thursday

15 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 12:11 am

I DIDN’T KNOW THEY MADE THOSE!!!! Omg. Buying that buffalo sauce asap. Lahve.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Blonde overload ainโ€™t no thang.

16 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 8, 2011 at 12:23 am

I would definitely pick the beach. I love any kind of activity involving water.

Those buffalo chicken tenders look delicious!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Grass appeal

17 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 8, 2011 at 12:49 am

I think I’d pick the beach. Although, I’ve actually never been to the mountains, so I should probably go- at least once!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..One pound of antioxidants

18 Ariffa July 8, 2011 at 1:05 am

aww your parents are right in my backyard, are they coming to Calgary for the stampede??

19 Ashley @ the fit academic July 8, 2011 at 1:18 am

I would *almost* always pick the beach! I’m definitely a water-girl & I LOOOOOVE to swim/laze in the sun/etc. But, seeing as I just returned from a long 4th of July weekend in the mountains, I think I’m currently siding with cool weather!!
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..4th of July Weekend Recapโ€“Part II, On the Road Edition

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 8, 2011 at 1:20 am

If you live in California you can have both ๐Ÿ™‚ I think I prefer mountains though!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Bike Friendly

21 Sally Kate July 8, 2011 at 1:49 am

i live in colorado, so i’d have to say for vacation the beach- but you can’t beat living with mountains in your backyard ๐Ÿ™‚
Sally Kate recently posted..this is winnie and eliza, alanaโ€™s dog that iโ€™m…

22 Emily @ Life on Food July 8, 2011 at 6:09 am

What lovely photos of the mountains, but I am with you I always pick the beach!
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Yukon Gold White Bean Basil Burgers

23 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 8, 2011 at 6:11 am

That dinner looks aaaaamazing! Totally stealing that idea soon.

As far as mountains vs. beach…definitely beach. Just because I’m from a town right on one of the Great Lakes, so the beach is HOME to me. But I would love love love to explore some mountains one day. ๐Ÿ™‚
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Style Focus: Emma Watson Edition

24 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 8, 2011 at 6:42 am

I always get cravings for buffalo chicken. Sounds delicious!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..โ€œGreenโ€ Smoothies

25 Lauren July 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

Love when the meals that you are craving the most just seem to come together. I think when you are determined for something, anything is possible. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Pursuing Polenta

26 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 7:08 am

I would definitely pick the mountains over the beach any day! I grew up in Miami so I’m pretty much beached out for the rest of my life.
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mulan Kind of Day

27 Hillary July 8, 2011 at 7:19 am

Beach in a heartbeat! I grew up in Rhode Island, so the ocean is in my blood. Being near the water makes me feel like myself again : )

Although those mountains don’t look too shabby either!
Hillary recently posted..In A Jam

28 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

I’d go with the mountains — I’d rather hike around than lay around on the beach.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Bowl of Bacon

29 Cait's Plate July 8, 2011 at 7:39 am

Ha – I’ve DEFINITELY been there! I think it scares my boyfriend nearly to death ๐Ÿ™‚

That looks like an awesome dinner though – usually when I get to that point it’s cereal or bust!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chicken Souvlaki Burger

30 Mom July 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

Beach starts tomorrow! That’s why we do the mountains 1 week and the beach the next! Will see ya manana. Love you! Hope your knee is better!
Mom

31 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

Your dinner looks great! I agree that its a lot easier to hold out from the fast food monster when you know you have something waiting to be cooked at home!

I think I might choose the mountains! It’s so hot in Georgia right now, some cool mountain air sounds fabulous!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Morning Workouts

32 Laura July 8, 2011 at 8:13 am

Beach! Nothing sounds more relaxing to me than reading at the beach and feeling an ocean breeze.
Laura recently posted..Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies

33 Margo @ peanut butter trees July 8, 2011 at 8:56 am

Those sweet potato fries look awesome! And I like both the mountains and the beach – I always need to get a bit of both each summer.
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Itโ€™s Friday, Friday

34 Juli D. July 8, 2011 at 9:25 am

Mountains all the time! Beaches get boring after a day or two – plus I can do without the whole sweating and reapplying sunscreen every 30 minutes.
Juli D. recently posted..Yogassy

35 Jane July 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

“Could have eaten”-come on college graduate!
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Ohh my hubby would LOVE that buffalo sauce!

I am definetly a beach girl 100%!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Celebrating One Year As A Vegetarian…

37 Kristi July 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

I live in Calgary which is very close to Kananaskis. It is beautiful. The mountains are stunning. Living near the mountains my whole life, I prefer the hot sandy beach. Although I would never give up the mountains! I guess I am torn!

38 courtney (pancakes and postcards) July 8, 2011 at 10:34 am

mountains! even though I lived in Los Angeles ten min from the beach for four years, then moved to Mozambique and lived literally ON THE BEACH for two more, and now I’m in SF which is hardly a beach town but does have beaches… I’m confused, apparently.
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..Rocky Mountain Fondue

39 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

BOTH! I love the mountains, but I love the beach. TOO hard to choose!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..When Itโ€™s Time

40 Allie July 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hard decision. Usually I would say mountains, but lately I have been craving a trip to the beach.

41 Marissa July 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’m a mountain girl all the way! I burn at the beach and the saltwater stings, lol. Give me crisp breezy air, rocky hiking trails, gorgeous waterfalls, and tons of mountain wildlife any time.
Marissa recently posted..Meet Mr. Whiskers

42 Lauren July 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wow, when I’m starving my meals usually consist of random handfuls of crap. Good work on actually putting together a great-looking meal! ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

43 Vikki July 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Mountains! I was outvoted this year though so I’m headed to the beach next week.

44 Toronto Girl West July 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Well I live in the Canadian Rockies (my blog is full of mountain pictures) so right about now, I would LOVE me some beach action!!!

Hope your parents are having fun! ๐Ÿ™‚
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Hottest Day, Ever!!!

45 Carissa July 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I LOVE LOVE buffalo chicken anything! It’s fantastic! I’m usually a Frank’s Red Hot fan, but I could try to KC brand.

Keep your head up on the knee!
Carissa recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Meatball

46 Dani July 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Definitely a beach girl over here! Question… when you’re out and about and a starvin’ marvin, how do you resist the urge to stop somewhere and eat? Once I get that hungry, all reason goes out the window and i just want to eat.
Dani recently posted..Vineyard visiting!

47 Amy July 9, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Beach. Hands down. And I think I may just have to make your buffalo chicken… question: how is the yogurt dressing?
Amy recently posted..Facebook is the new CNN

48 Meghann July 10, 2011 at 7:17 am

Weak. It’s not as strong and potential as traditional blue cheese