Running Attempt Take 1

by Meghann on July 6, 2011

In my first attempt to work my way back into training following my accident on Sunday, I tried my hands on a spinning class/ running combo this morning.

The Good News:

Spinning class was awesome. The only time my knee bothered me was when I tried to do a quad stretch with it at the end (HUGE mistake). I was able to keep up with the heavy climbing class and never felt an ounce of pressure on the bruised knee or stitches. Success.

The Bad News:

My first attempt at running following the spinning class wasn’t so good. I worked my way up to a jog on the treadmill, but I could feel the pain almost immediately. It wasn’t a ‘crap, I pulled something’ pain it was more of a ‘this huge bruise on my knee isn’t a fan of jiggling’ pain. I still have hope for running on it soon, but I’m afraid this week isn’t looking good for that.

I managed to stabilize myself at a 3.5 incline and 4.0 speed for 30 minutes. It was enough to keep my heart rate up without bothering my knee. Plus, I was really able to catch up on what all the news sources have to say about the Casey Anthony verdict – it’s crazy how involved our country became with that case!

Breakfast

After my workout I headed home to find a batch of overnight oats in jar waiting for me back home.

• White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter (it will be missed)
  • 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Milk
  • Cinnamon
  • Chia Seeds
  • Raisins
  • Strawberries
  • Uncle Sam’s Cereal

I added way too much plain yogurt. I believe the key to good overnight oats is finding the right balance between yogurt and milk with the oats. Too much yogurt it’s like paste – too much milk and it’s like soup. You need something that’s just right.

My parents say HI from Jasper National Park.

260580_10150248716510750_502505749_7152787_4905026_n.jpg

Jealous.

Also, isn’t it cute how they’re wearing almost the same thing? They were truly meant for each other – denim blue shirt and all. πŸ™‚

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

Sorry to hear about your knee! Although I know how you feel about trying to go from spin to the treadmill. It can be hard for me sometimes because my legs often feel like lead after class- and I don’t even have stitches! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 64

2 Cait's Plate July 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh my gosh it’s beautiful there! And their matching denim is too adorable!

Sorry that running didn’t work but at least you were okay with spin! Honestly I wouldn’t be able to run after a spin class WITHOUT an injury! Spin KILLS me!

Those OOIAJ look awesome – I really need to finish up one of my nut butters so I can do this!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Dreaming of It

3 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

Hope your knee gets better really soon!!

Your oats look really good. I could totally go for some of that peanut butter right now πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Three on the Fourth

4 Ali @ Ali Runs July 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

Your parents are so cute. It’s nice that you were able to do the spinning class with no pain. I’m sure the pain free running will follow once it’s healed a bit more.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Words of Wisdom

5 Amy July 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

Jasper is BEAUTIFUL! Tell them if they get the chance to do the boat tour of Maligne Lake they should do it. It’s the prettiest glacier water i’ve ever seen and the famous Spirit Island (included in the tour) is stunning. Alberta ROCKS!

6 Rachel July 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

The backdrop for your parents’ picture looks fake! So pretty!

White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter?! Where does one find such a thing? Sounds delicious!

Hope your knee heals quickly.

7 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

I second that question! Where do you get such stuff? I must have missed it in a previous post.
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #17: Sunny Seed Fireworks

8 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Chamberlains in Winter Park! I always stock up on all the Naturally Nutty stuff – it’s my favorite!

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 6, 2011 at 9:44 am

That’s a gorgeous pic of the mountains in the background.
Hope your knee gets better soon, it must be frustrating to be sidelined by a few stitches.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Positive splits

10 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

So, with my (less severe) cycling accident this weekend, I found that moving helped get rid of that unpleasant “skin over the bruise moving” sensation quickly. I got out to walk a bit, then the next day I swam, which basically got rid of that sensation about 2500 yards into the workout. It might be worth some walking today since you can’t swim with the stitches.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Montezuma: Salted Chocolate from the U.K.

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

Sorry your knee was acting up — it needs more rest!

I don’t use yogurt in my overnight oats — I use a mashed banana and it tastes so good. Even if it is too mushy or not mushy enough, it is nice and sweet.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Mongolian BBQ + Jello Cake

12 Mary July 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

Good girl for listening to your bod and letting your knee rest up for a little while. I’m not sure running with those stitches in is the best thing to do anyway… Running is afterall a lot of impact for a fresh wound.
Mary recently posted..Almost Exercise Fail

13 E July 6, 2011 at 9:57 am

Beautiful pic of your parents! (they’re so cute πŸ™‚ )

14 Lindsey July 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love Jasper! I live about 3 hours from there and last summer went on a white water rafting trip there. Hope they are enjoying Alberta!
Lindsey recently posted..DIY Jewelry Holder

15 Christie July 6, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oats in a jar! I first heard about this from Carrots n Cake but it always looks so AMAZING! I just need to hurry up and finish my jar of sunflower butter to try it out. Thanks for the tips on perfecting it πŸ™‚
Christie recently posted..Iceland! In Brief

16 Kara July 6, 2011 at 10:06 am

It’s hard to run with stitches! I was miserable until mine were removed (I had a mole removed on my knee cap). I’d just say stick to what feels good until it heals!

I’m majorly jealous of your parents. MAJORLY. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Hey molars…bite me!

17 Anne @ Your Kind of Salad July 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

Your parents are adorable! And yes, the longer they are married, the more they morph into one another – my parents are now the same person, after 39 years of marriage! And is this random to say…but your Dad looks like he lost weight? (how weird am I?) Just the pics you’ve put up of family stuff over the last year – he’s looking thinner. Go MealsandMiles Dad!
Anne @ Your Kind of Salad recently posted..Back At It

18 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Ha! I’m pretty sure my Dad is anti-trying to lose weight. He’s pretty proud that he’s only gained a XX amount since high school. But I’ll let him know you thought so! πŸ™‚

19 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food July 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

Your parents are so cute! I love when couples start to dress like each other! My parents do it all of the time by accident!

I’m sending you good vibes for your knee! Feel better soon! πŸ˜€
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..WIAW! Again!

20 Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com July 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

I fell on my knee last year and it took a good week or so before I could really get back into any running. The bruising made everything feel very wobbly and unstable. Glad the spin felt okay, it must be the pressure. Hope you get to healing quickly!!

21 Nikki T July 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Your parents are right around the corner from me!! Jasper is beautiful, I hope they enjoy it!
I hope the skeeters aren’t as bad there as they are at my place…fingers crossed!

22 Amy July 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

Wow, that picture is beautiful! It looks like they are standing in front of a painting!
Hope your knee feels better soon! πŸ™‚

23 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

Glad your knee seems to be improving, even if it is still a little painful!! Hopefully you’ll be back to new in no time. And I was watching the Casey Anthony coverage this morning too- crazy how EVERY network was talking about it!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..From Here to There

24 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

Glad to hear spinning went well!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Shin Splits? Or Something More?

25 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com July 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

I totally understand what you’re going through. I ended up with 10 stitches in my knee/shin after a mountain biking accident a few years ago – 2 days before I was supposed to run a 10k. Needless to say the “run” didn’t happen, but I walked it! I think it took me about a week to get to the point where it didn’t hurt to run.

Hope you heal up quickly!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..30/30/30 Workout & G Series FIT

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

What a pretty pic of your parents!!! And yes, take care of that bruise, not too much too fast πŸ˜‰

27 michelle July 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love the picture of your parents! After my first year of university, I worked in Jasper for 4 months during the summer. I did everything from waiting tables, working at a store to cleaning rooms at the Jasper Park Lodge. It was a great summer full of hiking, swimming, and a little too much drinking…
michelle recently posted..Cheater

28 amanda July 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

I hope your knee feels better soon! And I too am jealous of your parents … it looks beautiful there!

29 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) July 6, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hopefully you can get back to old Meghann soon!

I live about 8 hours south east of Jasper, but I’ve been there a few times and it is absolutely beautiful!! If they have a chance, tell them to go on the Jasper Tramway!
Lauren (Neeps and Taters) recently posted..sun and fun

30 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

Sorry the knee didn’t hold up on the run! At least cycle class worked out well.

And your parents are too cute together. Looks like a post card.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..My, What A Satisfied Belly

31 Sarah July 6, 2011 at 11:50 am

Whoa whoa whoa white chocolate coconut peanut butter?!?!! All of my favorite flavors in one jar. I need this now!
Sarah recently posted..Meal of Champion

32 Lauren July 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

At least you can still spin. I know what pain you are talking about and fortunately, it usually just takes a few days to start to feel better. You’ll be back in no time girl!
Lauren recently posted..Inspired by Words

33 Hope July 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I hope your knee feels better soon! πŸ™‚ Love that picture of parents! Too cute! That peanut butter looks amazing!!!
Hope recently posted..A Relaxing Day Off & Risotto Success!…

34 Kelly July 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I <3 Mom and Dad. πŸ™‚ SO wish I was there.

35 Hillary July 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I think it’s a smart move to take it easy and not push yourself. The last thing you want to do is end up making the injury WORSE!

Hope it’s feeling better in no time.
Hillary recently posted..Reader’s Request: What The Heck To Do Without Gluten

36 Courtney W July 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Yay! So glad to hear you are able to get any type of workout in! I’m sure the knee will feel better with time. The bruising and swelling was pretty intense and it’s only been a few days since your fall. πŸ™‚ I love that you are so positive Meghann!
Courtney W recently posted..Fear of Failure

37 Mike Ontiches July 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I was lookin at your training for the IM and what jumped out at me is the running part. Seems like unless you are way talented you really need to focus on that ! 13 miles after hours of swim/biking is no joke, believe me! So that has to be a big focus, since it comes last. I know I could never survive a Half Iron Man on less than 20-25 mpw w/ a 10 mile long run. I mean you have a ways yet and the injury is a small set back but boy, I don’t want to see you in for a rude awakening! I have been there!!!

38 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I know! I created my plan with the intent of focusing on swimming and cycling because they’re my weakest sports, but I think I cut back too much on running. I miss it and need to dedicate more time to it each week. As soon as my knee is healed I plan to add some milage onto the plan.

39 Margo @ peanut butter trees July 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I have yet to try overnight oats (gasp! I’m an avid oatmeal eater but have always cooked them in the morning) but I’m going to start soon! Your overnight oats are inspirational, even if they don’t have quite the right balanace πŸ˜‰ I’ll watch out for this careful ratio issue! πŸ™‚
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Back to DC

40 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl July 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm

So sorry to hear about your knee! But great to see that you’re able to still work up a sweat.

You are the queen of overnight oats in a jar. They always look so much better than mine. And White Chocolate PB? Oh my lord…
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Chill-Axin for the Holidays

41 Jane @ Jane's Addictions July 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’ve never made overnight oats before. Your pictures and ingredients got me intrigued to try it out. What’s your recommended dosage of each ingredient?

42 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Here’s an in depth post on how it’s done. πŸ™‚

43 tricia July 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

hope it continues to heal quickly! Your parents are soo cute, what a gorgeous pic

44 Pickynikki July 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm

The pic of your parents is great! It is beautiful here in Canada! Are they traveling around? I saw on twitter they landed in Calgary… They have to go to Lake Louise! Are they taking in any of the Stampede? ha ha… that was a lot of questions! Sorry.. I used to live in Calgary, now live 3 hours away…

45 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yes, they’re just sight seeing and going with the flow. I think they were going to Lake Louise today, not sure about Stampede! they fly back on Friday.

46 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Ouch — you are a brave woman for trying to do both spinning and running after that injury! I’m glad to hear the spinning was a success. But you make sure to take it somewhat easy so you heal up quick!

Your parents are adorable! And that scenery is to die for…mad jealous.
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Would you like a chance to win an Amazon gift card?

47 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Well, I’m glad that you found something you can do while you are recovering! Hopefully running will get easier once you have a bit more time to heal.
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Giving in to the cookies…

48 Kate July 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I hope your parents are enjoying themselves in the Canadian Rockies. I live in Jasper – there’s nothing like waking up to those views each and every day!

49 Holly July 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

glad you were able to spin- sorry the run wasn’t as successful. you should also be able to swim so your cardio will be just fine while you take a break from running. glad you’re on the mend and it wasn’t worse! πŸ™‚
Holly recently posted..Weekend Review

50 Alaina July 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hope your knee heals quickly!

Your dad sure can pull off the Canadian tuxedo look. πŸ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..The Fourth of July

51 Krystina (Organically Me) July 6, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Sorry about the unsuccessful run πŸ™ But at least you had a yum bfast!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Mexican Salad

52 Karin July 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Boo! I feel your pain! Get better!
Karin recently posted..β€œI get by with a little help from my friends”

53 Kim July 6, 2011 at 11:44 pm

whoa, white choc coconut pb? i have died and gone to heaven.

i’m glad your knee at least held up well for cycle. i have an everlasting knee injury from a car accident that flares up sporadically, and sometimes it hurts immediately after starting a run, but i know that i can always resort to the cycle room for some good cardio despite the pain.
Kim recently posted..We heart nutella