Basil Lover

by Meghann on July 6, 2011

I always forget how much I love basil, until I have a plant sitting on my counter and I proceed to put basil in any and everything and love every bit of it.

One of the best parts about summer is the ability purchase a fully bloomed basil plant from the market that’s cheaper than the already picked stuff at the store. Cheaper and fresher – love that.

Of course, basil tastes best when pared with fresh mozzarella and tomato. Or, in the absence of fresh tomato, marinara sauce.

That’s what I did her. I bake 1/2 an eggplant at 415 with some mushrooms, salt, and pepper for 15 minutes. Once that was done I coated it with marinara sauce and topped it fresh mozzarella and basil.

Yum.

With some a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel thin (what? don’t judge. πŸ˜‰ )

Fresh basil, mozzarella, and marinara sauce. Yep, feels like summer now.

I’m on my way to Orlando to film a segment with for the Florida Swim Network with my friends Joe, Katy, Julie and Bess. We’re discussing swimming and training for races – should be fun!

Be sure to tune in tonight at 8pm to check it out at http://www.floridaswimnetwork.com/?page_id=1570

Then it’s sleepover time at Katy’s! We’re going to stay up all night doing each other’s hair while eating cookie dough, and talking about boys. <– started writing as a joke, but could quite possibly be how our evening turns out!

Time to hit the road!

1 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

WOW, that salad looks amazing! I had a “fake” buffalo chicken salad for lunch… Morningstar Buffalo Wings, Spring Mix, Tomatoes, and Marie’s Blue Cheese Y0gurt dressing. It was pretty darn good πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Comfort in a Bowl

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Mmmm… I love fresh basil in the summer time. Especially with fresh summer tomatoes : d

3 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That mozz looks like it just made the salad! Mmmm.

Haha that sleepover sounds fabulous to me, esp the cookie dough part. πŸ˜‰
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..What I believe

4 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I predict that sleepover will be exactly how it turns out.

I am actually blown away by how much I get to use the basil plant I bought at the market. It grows like a weed, and I try to find MORE uses for it than ever before!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Lunchspiration and Zumba Gear!

5 Hope July 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

That salad looks delicious! I am a big fan of eggplant. It’s so good especially roasted! πŸ™‚

Have fun filming! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Relaxing Day Off & Risotto Success!…

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I love marinara sauce on top of just about anything — and even in the blazing heat I like warm comforting meals like this.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Mongolian BBQ + Jello Cake

7 The Teenage Taste July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have a basil plant too! I like to use my fresh basil to make homemade pesto. It’s so good and it tastes so much better than the prepackaged stuff! Yum!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Not-So-Innocent Chocolate Truffles

8 VeggieGirl July 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Lots of fun planned! Enjoy πŸ™‚
VeggieGirl recently posted..Ballroom & Other Adventures: Part 3 (**Photos & Video**)

9 Cait's Plate July 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love fresh basil – but mostly just to put on top of a pizza or turn into pesto πŸ™‚

That salad looks fantastic though so maybe I out to try adding it in to mine!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Switched it Up

10 Alex July 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Looks delicious. Most markets here sell the potted basil all year round and I always do my best to keep it alive… no luck so far, after I picked the leaves off it just looks pathetic and refuses to regrow anything…
Alex recently posted..Bento Fun

11 Meghann July 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

They sell them year around here, but they’re not always a $1 or in such pretty shape. πŸ™‚

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love basil! I should really buy some herb plants. I love fresh herbs!

13 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love basil too. Lately I’ve been going to this place where you can design your own pasta (or have the sauce over veggies, which is what I do). Then they have this ‘herb bar’ where you can put any kind of herb you can think of in your creation. I cover mine with basil, haha. mmmm…such a good flavor!
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Would you like a chance to win an Amazon gift card?

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

mmm fresh basil is TO die for! YUMM πŸ™‚ Have a wonderful afternoon!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Weight Train

15 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

omg there is seriously nothing better than basil and fresh mozzarella!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..I’ve Joined the What I Ate Wednesday Party!

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Basil is one of my favorite parts about summer πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Positive splits

17 Mary July 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I love basil! it is for SURE my favorite herb. Perhaps its because I’m italian, but regardless, I put that stuff in everything!
Mary recently posted..Almost Exercise Fail

18 SaraRM July 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm

What a fun night, I want to play!! πŸ™‚

19 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Having fresh basil on hand rocks! I just picked up a pretty big plant for just a couple bucks. Such a great deal!

20 Sarah July 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love basil! I have a basil plant at my place too. Fresh basil is so much better than dry basil
Sarah recently posted..Meal of Champion

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

oooh yes – I LOVE basil!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Crack-tastic besan and thyme crackers

22 Lauren July 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love basil too! I love sitting it on my counter and having it intoxicate the entire house.
Lauren recently posted..Me? A Spinning Instructor?

23 Hillary July 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

One of my favorite smells in the world is fresh basil. I lived with my cousins one summer, and my chore was watering the garden. I would always linger a little longer over their basil plants! Smells like summer to me : )
Hillary recently posted..Feeling Old Fashioned

24 Fit Chick Britt July 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I was wondering the other day if they sell already potted basil plants. I was thinking it’d be a good idea to get one.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..The Procrastinators 5k

25 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

mm that is such a great combination! such great summery flavors.

26 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Basil > all other herbs.
FACT
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..30 Minute Elliptical Workout

27 Amber July 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love fresh basil, mostly for the amazing way it smells! I would wear it as perfume if people wouldn’t think I was a super weirdo, lol

I made pizzas the other night with fresh basil and tomatoes, and the aroma in our house was heavenly!
Amber recently posted..From Italian to Oriental

28 Laura @ Backstage Pass July 6, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The combo of veggies sounds great! I also love fresh basil, it’s so versatile.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Easy Black Bean Dip for One

29 Sami July 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

I always need something sweet after a meal (I think the cinnamon raisin bagel thin would be perfect!)

Typically, I always eat a cup of sugar free jello!

πŸ˜€ xo.
Sami recently posted..So Much To Post, So Little Time…