Pizza Tips

by Meghann on July 5, 2011

Pizza Tip #1: Pre-made Publix dough rocks! It’s reasonably priced and almost as good as the homemade stuff.

Pizza Tip #2: If you leave the aforementioned Publix pizza dough on the counter for too long the yeast goes into overdrive and created too many bubbles. In other words – don’t do it!

Pizza Tip #2.5: Cover the holy crust with sauce, no one will notice. Umm… until the they cut into it later… πŸ˜‰

Pizza Tip #3: Eggplant cut in the rounds is prettier than pepperoni.

Pizza Tip #4: Fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan are a thousand times better than the pre-shredded stuff.

Pizza Tip #5: An undercooked pizza crust = doughy pizza crust

Pizza Tip #6: Add the basil last. Much better fresh on top than burnt on the bottom.

Pizza Tip #7: Pizza and salad go together like peas and carrots.

Pizza Tip #8: Raisins on spinach with a lemon herb dressing definitely counts as a salad

Pizza Tip #9: Always follow pizza with chocolate

Pizza Tip #10: An apple makes the perfect afternoon pre-pizza snack

Pizza Tip #11: Peace Out

1 Sara July 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm

We had pizza tonight too! Pre-made dough from the local grocery store, topped with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, spinach, and onion. And fresh basil too!

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm

deeeelish!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the tale of the swim shorts

3 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

ohh YUM! I am all about homemade pizza and your looks DELISH! πŸ™‚

That chocolate looks wonderful as well, what is it?? πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Erin Baker’s Breakfast Cookies and Brownie Bites Giveaway!

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Yum! Undercooked pizza crust is delicious.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..4th of July on the lake

5 Bee Goes Bananas July 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm

That pizza looks delicious! Do you just slice up raw eggplant and put it on the pizza to cook, or do you have to prep it beforehand? I’d like it try it sometime!

6 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I put it on the pizza raw. It cooks with the pizza. πŸ™‚

7 Carissa July 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Mmmmmmm. Must make pizza ASAP!!
Carissa recently posted..Watermelon 5k and 4th fun

8 Fallon July 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Ever since you said Publix had the best pizza dough I had to pick some up. I couldn’t agree more, it is absolutely delicious! I wish they had a whole wheat dough but I’ll settle for the white every now and then.
Fallon recently posted..Happy 4th of July!

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Doughy pizza crust is ok, I actually prefer mine almost burnt to a crisp!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Good Beef + Green Lantern

10 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hahaha “holy dough”. Um definitely. Slashhhh try fresh grapes on top of your cooked pizza, JUST before you take a bite — HEAVEN
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..You Are Captivating.

11 Courtney July 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Such a creative, fun post! πŸ™‚ I wish we had Publix in Chicago πŸ™
Courtney recently posted..Baby!

12 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! July 5, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Your pizza looks amazing!!! I love veggie pizza with all my heart!! πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..4th of July Eats

13 Katherine July 6, 2011 at 12:16 am

Nomnomnom!

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 6, 2011 at 12:46 am

I love using dough from TJ’s for my pizza! It’s the best πŸ™‚ And chocolate is definitely necessary after. Preferably chocolate ice cream!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Races and Fireworks

15 Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time July 6, 2011 at 1:49 am

HAHA! I love tip # 11 πŸ™‚
Amber Faye @ One “Faye” At A Time recently posted..crazy

16 Judy July 6, 2011 at 3:37 am

Is there anything more perfect than pizza?
Judy recently posted..LUNCH TODAY …

17 Emily @ Life on Food July 6, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love homemade pizza and I completely agree the store bought pizza dough is the best invention ever. It taste good and is very inexpensive.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Multi-tasking Master

18 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 6, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love Publix pizza dough! Pizza tip #12: accompany with red wine
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..First Watch pre-workout fuel

19 Hillary July 6, 2011 at 7:32 am

I made eggplant pizza the other night, too! Although, my cheese wasn’t freshly shredded ; )
Hillary recently posted..Reader’s Request: What The Heck To Do Without Gluten

20 Hope July 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

This pizza looks so good! My favorite pizza dough is the whole wheat dough from Trader Joe’s! It’s so good! I really want to try grilling pizza this weekend. πŸ™‚

21 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

I actually LOVE doughy pizza crust. The doughier I can get it while still being cooked, the better (although I will also accept a really thick crust in place of a doughy one)!
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #17: Sunny Seed Fireworks

22 Alaina July 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Oh yum, I love homemade pizza! Really wish we had a Publix up where I am.
Alaina recently posted..The Fourth of July

23 Mary July 6, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love home made pizza too! We usually get our dough from the whole paycheck. πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Almost Exercise Fail

24 Ali @ Ali Runs July 6, 2011 at 8:54 am

I LOVE making homemade pizza! It is the best ever. That looks like a winner πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Happy 5th of July!

25 Christie July 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

Whoa, that crust looks A-MAZING! Isn’t it funny how basically EVERYone loves pizza? Who knew it would be THE universal food? I guess you can’t go wrong with bread, cheese and all the toppings you could dream about…
Christie recently posted..Iceland! In Brief

26 Meghann July 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Everyone may love pizza, but I’ll find different opinions on toppings πŸ™‚

27 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair July 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

Besides peanut and chocolate, pizza and salad is my ALL-TIME favorite combo!

Good thinking on the basil!
Andrea @ Onion in My Hair recently posted..Meet Me in St. Louis

28 rachel July 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

That pizza looks delicious! And that salad is also an excellent combo that I must try!
rachel recently posted..July 2010 vs July 2011

29 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Pizza out was what I read as your last tip.

pizza on the brain, obviously.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: Tuesday Edition

30 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hmmm… definitely craving pizza now πŸ™‚
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Giving in to the cookies…

31 Shanni July 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I used to live in Florida. New York has tons of great food, but I miss Publix. Especially the subs. Pizza tip #47: If you have extra time, make homemade pretzel dough for the pizza crust. It makes for amazingness.

-Shanni
fitango.com

32 sara July 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Everything look so yummy!!!!!!:)
sara recently posted..Dominos menus