more ยป" />

Lunch from a Bag

by Meghann on July 5, 2011

Well, TWO bags to be exact.

Bag #1: Frozen Birds Eye Steamfresh bag of rice that was 50% off at Publix on Sunday

Bag #2: The last of the Gardein Beefless tips that have been in the freezer for a while now

Pop both in the microwave. Combine with hummus, feta cheese, and almonds. You’ve got lunch!

Pretty tasty too. I’m a fan of hummus with rice – it gives a fried rice texture that makes my taste buds happy.

An ode to my Hometown

This Friday the last manned space shuttle will launch from Kennedy Space Center. The end to an era is about to embark upon my hometown. Thousands will lose their jobs, millions of visitors will cease to visit, and the future of my childhood hometown becomes uncertain.

I may take the occasional jab at my hometown, but underneath the sarcasm and quips, there’s a big part of me who wouldn’t have wanted to be raised anywhere else. Titusville may have been small, but it was safe and full of people I loved.

My parents’ were a rarity among my friends. Not just in age and activeness, but in their careers as well. I would say about 75% of my friends had at least one parent (or close relative) who worked out at the Space Center in someway or another. The Space Center fed Titusville’s economy and helped it grow over the years. Heck, even my little brother worked at the visitor’s center (and his fiancee still does!)

Now, those friends’ parents are in a crazy predicament. Many of them have lost their jobs – or are in the process of doing so. It’s a sad, bittersweet time in Titusville. All we can do is sit back and wait to see what’s next.

I’ll leave the politics of Obama’s decision to end the space shuttle program out of this (I’m just a teensy bit bias), but I will say ending the program – and not instating a replacement one – is a travesty. Space travel is something America has prided itself on since the 1960s, now what? Only time will tell what the future holds.

I stumbled across this video on CNN about my hometown and wanted to share it with everyone. Yes, Titusville is small, nosey, and rundown, but it’s home and I love every inch of it.

1 Cait's Plate July 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I LOVE those Birds Eye Steamfresh bags with the rice – it’s so easy to just throw in a protein and call it a lunch ๐Ÿ™‚ Yours looks delish. I’ve tried a lot of the Gardein products and they never disappoint ๐Ÿ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Leftover Lunch

2 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl July 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Great idea for a simply lunch!

So sorry to hear about your hometown. Obviously, the decision seems monumental but it really hits home even more when you bring it to such a personal level. I wish all your family and friends luck in this transition!

3 Shanna, Like Banana July 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m an Aerospace Engineer so obviously this is close to my heart and it will be spectacular sight to see coming up.

However, even as being as close as I am, I do understand Obama’s decision and there is much more behind it as well. Money for all of Aerospace and Defense is beyond tight and priorities have shifted on account of the world we live in. I am hopeful a new space age will reign and will be patient in its coming.
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Shoes-Day!

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m really disappointed to hear the space program is ending ๐Ÿ™ Thanks for the video link!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Independence Day

5 Erin D. July 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I agree that it’s sad to see the shuttle program’s, but it certainly does not mean that space travel is over.

6 Erin D. July 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

*shuttle program’s end*

7 kathleen July 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Titusville is like many other towns who have lost their main source of employment. It is so sad to see many of these small towns change.

The end of the space program has been slated for 2010 for many years. Yes, Obama could have renewed the program, but his administration did not make the decision to cancel it. With billions of defense dollars being spent overseas, the space program just doesn’t make sense right now.

8 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Like I said – I’m just bias. Yes, the end of the shuttle program has been slated for many years, but originally the Constellation Program was suppose to replace it (and that program is what gave my town, and all the NASA workers hope). It was only within the last couple of years that funding for the constellation program has stopped. I guess stopping the replacement program was the real kicker around here.

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Oh wow, that is so sad ๐Ÿ™ But I am sure something good will come of it, at least I hope so!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Living Healthy And Eating

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm

What a great quick lunch idea!

I am so sorry to hear that your town may be so hard hit if the program is taken away. Having grown up near a city I can only imagine how tough that must be. I hope that whatever happens, that the families are taken care of. Such a tough time ๐Ÿ™
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..2011 Tour de France Viewers Guide Part 1

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

It is sad when businesses/operations of any kind end — and having gone through seeing my Dad laid off a few years ago (and Jason a few months ago and a few years ago as well!) it is tough to think about more people looking for jobs.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Good Beef + Green Lantern

12 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Space program is American’s pride and joy. So sad to bid farewell to the final space shuttle and to many Americans who are directly or indirectly impacted ๐Ÿ™ I’ve always been a space enthusiasts. So sad about the overall impact this would have on the economy.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Penne Pasta with {modern} Spinach Pesto & Portabella

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Wow, I didn’t even know the space program was ending. (probably looking pretty naive by saying that!) It is such a shame to see the end of an era like that.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..4th of July on the lake

14 Mary July 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Oh mann i LOVE those steam fresh bags! I buy them in bulk at BJ’s When HB and I are both working, they’re PERFECT for a quick throw together when we get home.
Mary recently posted..Trying the Worx

15 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Looks like a great lunch, and super easy!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Not your typical PB & J

16 Mike Ontiches July 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Well hey I ran in Titusville once or maybe it was Coco Beach. And just wanted to say, the Space Program isn’t ending! They replace it w/ the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle for flights to asteroids & Mars. Was gonna be Orion, that’s the one they couldn’t fund cause of Budget Cuts. So yeah they downsized KSC for sure but remember the same happened when the Apollo Mission ended in the early 1970’s & the place rebounded, all comes in cycles. BTW don’t get me wrong but the Space shuttle wasn’t as safe as this new thing was supposed to be, I remember the Challenger blow up in 1980’s & how that rocked the Nation. Then the other one, Columbia ??? with the tiles falling off.

Anyway I hope you get that Boston marathon qualifier soon, I just found this Blog and have run Boston more than once & it’s worth it!!!

17 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Titusville had suffered then the Apollo missions ended too. I know it’s a vicious cycle, but it doesn’t stop our little town from stopping and shedding a tear or two over the shuttle program ending.

18 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Yum that sounds like a great lunch! That’s so sad to hear about your hometown. I wish any of your family and friends that are impacted by this the best!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Holiday and Hugs

19 Jane July 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

It is always sad when things like that come to an end for the towns and for the people that live there. Hopefully the Space Shuttle Program will be back in action again in the future!
Jane recently posted..Getting Back on Track!

20 Kaitlin July 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I keep meaning to try those beefless tips! Maybe I’ll pick some up tonight at WF.

It’s frustrating that so many budget cuts are being made to the sciences in these tight times. Without space exploration, we cannot uncover the greatest mysteries of our universe!
Kaitlin recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap #2

21 Sarah July 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Rice and hummus? Never tired it but now I want to.
I agree fully with what you said about the space program. It gave us so much stuff, not only jobs but, cell phones, plastics, newer metals, ect and now we have no way of getting to space. ๐Ÿ™ it’s sad.

22 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Bags make things so much more convenient, don’t they? I’m diggin the TJ’s frozen quinoa these days — it will be a staple in my dorm room this year!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..You Are Captivating.

23 Julie @ There and Back Again July 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I am really sad about the end of the shuttle program, too! My uncle is an astronaut with NASA and has been part of three different shuttle missions over the years – watching him launch at two of them were some of the most amazing moments of my life! The space program is truly his passion and something that has been a part of my family as long as I can remember – it is sad to see it ending. It speaks volumes that you have such proud feelings of your hometown and nice that all the citizens are united in the face of uncertainty! I’m thinking happy thoughts for space travel and Florida ๐Ÿ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Talons & Tea Leaves

24 E July 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I really hope they get the program for the next generation of vehicle for US space travel going soon! I’ve always been enamored with space travel/NASA and for years hoped to work for them as an engineer/astronaut. My career plans changed, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for it still. I find it especially sad how much it will likely affect interest from kids in space/engineering (and of course the effect on the economy in Florida and other related places in the US).

25 emily July 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I really dislike it when people blame “just Obama ” like he’s the only one making decisions in the federal government. It’s not as if he’s sitting in his office, saying “Oh, how I can I ruin a small town?” I would hope before you start writing posts about this unfortunate situation and “Obama’s politics,” you would inform yourself enough to recognize that the decision was made by many individuals…unfortunately in a recession there are other priorities.

26 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I didn’t blame Obama (in fact I voted for him in the last election), but – as typical with any presidency – he had final say in signing the papers and unfortunately his name becomes attached to it after that. Just like Obama didn’t completely write the health care stuff, but it’s still referred to as ‘Obama Health Care’

27 Mike Ontiches July 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm

LOL @emily, I think she’s pro Obama not anti thus the biased comment! You are thinking of his predessessor who babbled on about a manned flight to Mars thinking that would be possible w/ present technology.

28 Audrey July 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I feel bad for your hometown, but, as history shows time and time again, no town can afford to rely on one major thing for survival( Flint, Detriot, all those towns that are devastated whenever the demand for one crop drops). Sadly, you have to see this happen to a town you are personally attached to. I do, however, think that it is unfair to put the blame on president Obama, since the decision to change how we explore space was made a decade before he even took office. Also, there is a plan in place as to how to “replace” the failing old space program. You should really read more about it. Here is just one article from the official NASA website on “What’s Next for NASA”: http://www.nasa.gov/about/whats_next.html .

29 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I promise I’m not blaming Obama – it’s just unfortunate that this came through as he was President so his name is attached to it. If it had gone through while Bush was President and he was the one who signed it over, we would be calling it Bush politics.

And, yes, there is a plan, but hey there was a plan before that fell through too. (the plan fell through when Obama was in office, which is unfortunately how his name got attached to it) When that plan fell through was when everyone started being laid off.

30 Audrey July 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I understand. I think it truly is heart-breaking that Titusville is suffering, and hope that the town will be able to band together to help support all those who are being hit hard right now. It’s a small town, but perhaps someone come do a fundraiser to raise money for those who are desperately in need.

31 Fit Chick Britt July 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

As a Houstonian I can understand your sadness. Fortunately, Houston will still go on without the space program, but we will lose a lot of jobs. There was huge uproar when we didn’t even get one of the old space shuttles a few months back!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..The Procrastinators 5k

32 Mike Ontiches July 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Folks quit saying there is no more space program! Jeez! No one said pain killers had ended when they took Vioxx off the market LOL

33 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I never said the space program was going away. The space SHUTTLE program is ending.

34 Mike Ontiches July 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I know! But I feel like I am the only one who read you right! Tell THEM that! ๐Ÿ˜€

35 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm

haha thanks

36 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I LOVE hummus with rice and veggies – it’s my favorite! Such a great flavor!

Without getting into politics, I think it’s so tragic we are not continuing with an American space program anymore.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the tale of the swim shorts

37 Laura H. July 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm

My dad worked at KSC for as long as I can remember. We were very fortunate that he actually found another job in Titusville before getting laid off. I’m also quite sad that this will be the last shuttle and am curious to see what happens in the future for our small town.

38 Lauren July 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm

That is a great lunch idea. I think I might use this next time I need to eat lunch at my desk.
Lauren recently posted..Inspired by Words

39 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 6, 2011 at 7:27 am

I’ve recently been mixing hummus with my quinoa and am looooving the combo!
Kayla @ Sprouty Buns recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookies and Morning Gifts

40 Ali @ Ali Runs July 6, 2011 at 9:05 am

Your small hometown sounds exactly like my hometown. We had a big company leave a few years ago and it effected a lot of my friends families. It’s sad, but they have rebuilt and are still in the process of moving on.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Happy 5th of July!

41 Christie July 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hummus with rice?! I never even thought about that combination! I love both those things so it has now made it to the top of my list of things to try. Love tiny hometowns… so COZY.
Christie recently posted..Iceland! In Brief