Baby, You’re a Firework

by Meghann on July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday America!

Who stayed up past their bedtime watching the local firework display? Anyone?

My afternoon was spent the same way as my morning – glued to the couch with ice on my knee and remote and computer in hand. Do you know how difficult it is to sit still? Very.

Derek officially became my hero when he arrived home at 3:00 with a soy iced coffee in hand. Major boyfriend points there. πŸ™‚

Even more bonus points for popped popcorn.

We shared the bag. Popcorn is always one of those things that taste so good at first, but then the greasiness of the butter catches up to and I start to feel ill. A half a bag is usually just about right.

Our original plans for tonight included a night out at Channelside with fireworks. I kept off my knee all day hoping I could still make it out. Right when 5:00pm rolled around I said ‘the hell with it,’ took a couple of asprin, got dressed, and said ‘let’s go.’ There’s only so much couch sitting this girl can take.

We were good. Limited stairs, limited walking, and lots of sitting. Almost as good as staying at home except then there would have been no fancy meal or fireworks involved.

We headed to Harbour Island first and tried a new-to-us restaurant I found online called Cafe Dufrain.

The menu was short and sweet.

With an emphasis on organic products. Loved that.

I ordered the Wood Grilled Chicken Sandwich and was not disappointed.

The chicken was moist and flavorful, but the real winners in the dish were the sweet and tangy mustard molasses bbq sauce and deliciously rich smoked cheddar cheese.

The lemon hazelnut asparagus was a real crowd pleaser as well. They cut like butter – soft and silky with just the slightest chew.

Derek enjoyed his burger as well. We will be back. πŸ™‚

After dinner we moseyed over to Channelside for dessert.

Knee was doing good. I think it needed a good stretch anyways.

Which one to choose?

IMG_8290.jpg

We picked up a cupcake and headed back to the bridge to wait for fireworks.

IMG_8291.JPG IMG_8292.JPG

Cupcake time!

IMG_8300.JPG IMG_8301.JPG

One of the few cupcakes where I preferred the cake to the icing. Cake – good. Icing – too much sugar, not enough chocolate. πŸ™‚

The fireworks were suppose to start at 9:00, but 9:00 came and went and we were left waiting…

and waiting…

and waiting…

FINALLY at a quarter to 10 something started to happen!

BOOM!

I’ve seen fireworks a million times, but there’s something about seeing them on the 4th of July that just makes them that much more special. Kind of like how you could listen to Christmas music all year round, but it only feels right when you listen to it at Christmas time. Fireworks have their once a year focus and this was it!

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

1 Courtney July 5, 2011 at 12:07 am

Fun! And icing should always be as good or better than cake πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Baby!

2 maria @ Chasing the Now July 5, 2011 at 12:14 am

That last pic of you and Derek is frame-worthy! So cute!

3 Jayme @ Runner-n-spice July 5, 2011 at 12:14 am

That restaurant looks great! I love short and sweet menus too.
Hope your leg is feeling better!
Happy 4th from Canada! The fireworks look amazing!
Jayme @ Runner-n-spice recently posted..Lemon Chia Seed Muffins

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 5, 2011 at 12:15 am

Looks like a fun day! I’m kind of bummed I stayed home this year. I never do anything exciting, but I used to go to a park near my house and watch a really cool fireworks show!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Independence Day

5 Wymberley July 5, 2011 at 12:37 am

We sat at home πŸ™
It is the first year in a long time I will miss fireworks. I even forgot to tape the Boston Pops.
ARG!
Oh well. Next year will have to be epic or something. I’m glad the knee held up!
Wymberley recently posted..A Little Motivation…

6 Amy July 5, 2011 at 1:23 am

Oh you are so right about fireworks and the 4th!
Amy recently posted..Favorites about the Fourth

7 Lauren July 5, 2011 at 6:42 am

Glad your knee is feeling better. It must have felt great to get out and start moving again. That last pic of you and Derek is adorable! πŸ™‚ Happy 4th to you guys!
Lauren recently posted..4th of July 2011

8 Madison July 5, 2011 at 7:22 am

You look so pretty! Love the outfit—bum knee and all!

9 Hillary July 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

Ok Meghann, sharing is caring. Where did you get that dress?!
Hillary recently posted..Red, White, and Blue(berries)

10 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

It’s from American Eagle – circa late june 2009

11 Hillary July 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

Darn! Two years behind the eight ball! Haha thanks for sharing, though!
Hillary recently posted..Red, White, and Blue(berries)

12 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted July 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Me too! I was going to ask!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Birthday Picnic & Cream Cheese Brownies

13 Bee Goes Bananas July 5, 2011 at 7:45 am

I used the same title for my Canada Day post! I’m sure many, many other bloggers did too!

14 Fit Chick Britt July 5, 2011 at 7:55 am

I don’t think I could handle the couch all day either, glad to see you got to enjoy the holiday a little. I love your dress btw!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..A Little Bit of a Lazy Weekend

15 Lee July 5, 2011 at 8:06 am

Definitely past my bed time. We had some storms here in Atlanta, so the fireworks didn’t go off until 10. After driving home, it was definitely later than I’d planned.
Lee recently posted..Sixth Peachtree in the Books

16 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

I love your dress! Where’d you get it, if you don’t mind me asking?

Dinner looked divine. Wishing I was in FL! πŸ˜‰
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..From The Marketer’s Desk #5

17 Meghann July 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

It’s from American Eagle. I bought it in June of 2009

18 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hmm, looks like I’m a little late on that one, but thanks!

19 SaraRM July 5, 2011 at 8:20 am

Glad you decided to get up and enjoy your evening!

Im the same way with the 4th and Christmas! Love taking full advantage of the holidays when they roll around.

20 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet July 5, 2011 at 8:23 am

We went to see fireworks, only to realize that our town cancelled them this year πŸ™ Lots of towns around us have been doing that because of budget problems, so we just ended up going on a crazy fireworks hunt! We found a few, and that made for a pretty fun night πŸ™‚

And I’m sure that a little bit of walking and fresh air was just what the doctor ordered!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Saturday Sun

21 Rebecca July 5, 2011 at 8:34 am

Yes, I totally went to see the local fireworks! You’re right about them always being magical on the 4th.
Looks like you had such a nice day. I’m glad your leg is feeling good enough for you to get out!
Rebecca recently posted..Food in Season

22 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

You two are too cute! πŸ™‚

Looks like a great way to celebrate! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..How to Host a Dinner Party Miller Style

23 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

That is a nice picture of your two at the end!

We didn’t watch any fireworks yesterday, but we heard them late last night.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Good Beef + Green Lantern

24 Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides July 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

So happy your bum knee let you partake of the festivities!!
Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides recently posted..an epic 4th of July celebration

25 Anna July 5, 2011 at 10:39 am

Great photos of the fireworks. I can never seem to get good photos of fireworks; mine come out really dark with barely any “sparkle.”

Glad you were able to get up and out last night to enjoy!
Anna recently posted..Mountains

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh you look way cute <—love the outfit!! Yah for the 4th πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Living Healthy And Eating

27 Marissa July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

Ahh, I sympathize with you! It seems like the firework shows around here always start at least an hour after they originally say they’re going to… its kinda the yearly thing–waiting, waiting, waiting forever while getting eaten alive by bugs out on the island for the fireworks to start!
Marissa recently posted..Peach Festival!

28 Angela July 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm

That’s why I’m glad the big fireworks event in the UK is in November. You don’t have to wait as long for it go dark.

29 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Of course I stayed up late. I looooovvvvveeee fireworks!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Tuesday Blues

30 Ali @ Ali Runs July 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love your dress! You looked so patriotic! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Words of Wisdom