Babysitting Newbies

by Meghann on July 4, 2011

Derek and I took our first stab at co-babysitting tonight.

Let’s just say that neither of us had ever been alone with a newborn before and the last time I babysat a baby – of any age – I had to be driven to the parents’ house because I was too young to drive myself. That was a long time ago my friends. We really had no clue what we were doing!

Still, with our inexperience, I’d say we did alright. Our main goal was to make sure the baby was still breathing at the end of the night and I’m proud to say we handed baby Marley over at the end of the night in one piece, with all 10 fingers and toes, and breathing on her own. Success!

I arrived around 7:30pm with take-out and Blockbuster DVD in hand.

A Power Light Blackened Chicken Burrito from Tijuana Flats with all the fixins.

The movie was ‘Just Go With It’ starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. I figured a light hearted romantic comedy would be the perfect baby sitting fit. It was a cute, funny movie where you really didn’t have to pay attention to catch the jokes or the plot. Nothing I would pay $10 to see, but for a $1 it wasn’t bad.

We put the movie on, ate our dinner and got to babysitting work.

It was a pretty steady cycle of baby crying, eating, pooping, and sleeping. We completed two of those cycles before all three of us ended up passing out on the couch together. By the time the parents walked in the door 3 hours later there were equal amounts of drooling and snoring all around.

I thought babysitting this evening would calm my baby fever down, but all the crying was easily outweighed by just how darn cute she was when she was sleeping and how great Derek was holding and calming her. There’s no doubt I want kids, I just need to quiet down the yearning for a couple of more years.

The rest of my afternoon was pretty low key. I definitely ignored the doctor’s advice and headed to the mall with Derek for a couple of hours (idiot) and to Publix to grocery shop. It’s just so hard for me to stay put for so long! I need to work on this.

I had a lunch/large snack of some Rokit Fuel Oatmeal at some point.

I really LOVE these RokitFuel instant oatmeal containers. They’re really nutty tasting and very filling – just add water.

I’m exhausted. Time for bed.

Good Night!

1 TheHungeredOne @ MovingandMunching July 4, 2011 at 12:25 am

lol babies are fun for the most part.

Any oatmeal called Stud Muffin is worth a shot! lol
TheHungeredOne @ MovingandMunching recently posted..Hooray for Garmin-Cervelo

2 Brooke July 4, 2011 at 12:33 am

I hope you meant all 10 fingers…

3 Sana July 4, 2011 at 12:36 am

Yay! you did it, relax and rest your knee!
Sana recently posted..What is life all about?

4 Maria July 4, 2011 at 12:43 am

I really thought that the oatmeal container was oatmeal ICE CREAM. How amazing would that be? Oatmeal cookie ice cream…I think we’re onto something.

Hope you’re healing up fast!
Maria recently posted..Feels Like Summer

5 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 4, 2011 at 1:03 am

Aw, how fun! It will be good practice for later 😉
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Costco’s Number One Customer

6 Amy July 4, 2011 at 2:29 am

This post totally made me LOL. Glad you and Derek had a sucessful babysitting night!
Amy recently posted..Favorites about the Fourth

7 Judy July 4, 2011 at 3:31 am

Ooooh, babies are so hard to babysit sometimes! Especially if they cry and you’ve tried everything to please them, but it looks like you both did well!
Judy recently posted..DOES THIS QUALIFY AS A STASH?

8 Bee Goes Bananas July 4, 2011 at 7:22 am

My favourite babysitting jobs were ones where you arrived at the house and the baby was already sleeping for the night, so you could just sit around watching movies as it slept!

9 katie July 4, 2011 at 7:52 am

Very sweet Derek teamed up and babysat with you!

I hope you are feeling better girl : )

Happy July 4th!!
katie recently posted..Apple Pie { in a wrapper }

10 Hillary July 4, 2011 at 8:07 am

Your baby fever will not subside so long as you are watching Derek care for the baby! Oy. Mine is really heating up lately, too ; )
Hillary recently posted..That’s Just Bulgur

11 Kara July 4, 2011 at 8:35 am

It sounds like you guys did a great job! My daily goal (even as the mother) was to keep everyone alive 🙂
Kara recently posted..The Wave

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 4, 2011 at 8:36 am

Well I’m glad the babysitting went well — and take care of that knee!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Happy 4th of July!

13 Lauren July 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

When my husband and I baby sit these days, it really gives us a good vision into what our lives will be like when we have kids. Great practice!
Lauren recently posted..And So It Continues….

14 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 4, 2011 at 8:54 am

So nice of you to babysit. It is amazing how much work it is isn’t it! 😛

I LOVE rockit fuel! 🙂
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Whole Foods ‘If I Had a Million Dollars’ Foodie Remix

15 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 4, 2011 at 9:41 am

Props to you for babsitting! I don’t know how I would do with a baby- I’m clueless. Hope you have an awesome 4th!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..B-day Celebrations Begin

16 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

Aww! I have a close friend who has been wanting kids for years (but wan’t to wait until she and her husband are more financially stable), and she–and he–babysit all the time to hold of her maternal clock. Plus, a little extra ice cream money can’t hurt, right?
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Snacks that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good #8

17 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

Haha “rokit fuel”! 🙂 Those sound so. good. Lahve blockbuster.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..A Picture Says a Thousand Words

18 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

Congrats on the successful babysitting! My boyfriend and I babysat my 10 month old twin nephews and 3 year old niece together and, somehow, we all made it out alive! It was super adorable to see him holding my nephews – definitely had my mind dreaming up the future 😉
Kayla @ Sprouty Buns recently posted..Happy 4th!

19 Melissa July 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Do you ever watch How I Met Your Mother…sock?? If not you’re just going to think I’m crazy! Anywho, I’ve been obsessed with TLC’s wedding shows and baby shows lately. I’m 25 and I think it’s just that stage of life where we go crazy for that stuff 😀
Melissa recently posted..Ello Govna!

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm

awwww babies are SO fun!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Oh Say Can You See

21 Fit Chick Britt July 4, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I don’t blame you for not being able to rest that long! Hope you’re getting some rest today.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..A Little Bit of a Lazy Weekend