Four Stitches

by Meghann on July 3, 2011

This morning started out like any other Sunday morning.

I got up, took Maddie for her walk, got dressed, and toasted a bagel thin with some chocolate toffee peanut butter and blackberry preserves.

The bagel thin was fuel for my two hour bike ride I had planned with Courtney. We’d both become a little bored with our normal trail and wanted to meet someplace new for a change of scenery.

Enter: The Pinellas Trail

The Pinellas Trail is a little bit of a drive, but at this point a little drive doesn’t bother me as much. I’d rather drive a little farther for a newer trail, then burn myself out on my usual one. Plus, the trail was great. I loved the change of scenery, I loved how you could take the trail from one town to the next, I loved the shade (!!), and I loved how you never feared being alone because people were always cruising by.

On the flip side – the trail did have a few drawbacks. It was crowded, had way too many stop and go intersections (watching for cars every other block really throws your groove off), and there was a stretch along the road I wasn’t terribly comfortable riding along.

Courtney and I had a great ride. I had a blast riding and talking with her and the time literally flew by. The bonus was being able to hold 15mph+ the majority of the ride <– HUGE for me!

We went an hour out and turned back to complete the hour trip back. Things were going really smoothly – the morning sun was shining bright, our plans for breakfast set, and everything was happy-go-lucky, not a care in the world.

Then – just 5 miles from our cars – I went from upright to horizontal in the blink of an eye.

I’m still not 100% sure what happened. All I know is my watch beeped, I looked down for a second, and all of a sudden I’m colliding with a fellow cyclist. I came down first – falling to the right still semi-clipped into the pedals – and he came toppling after me.

The first thing I felt was pain in my left knee. I was in shock and trying to catch my breath, but all I could think about was my left knee. Was it broken? Did I twist it? Can I get up?

Fellow cyclists came out of no where. They all stopped to make sure I was ok. All they wanted to do was help, but I needed a minute to calm down and catch my breath. I let a few tears fall and slowly I began to untangle myself from my bicycle.

The cyclists who stopped were amazing and immediately jumped into action. Several of them dug into their packs and produced baby wipes, first aid kits, gauze, etc. It made me realize just riding with my phone and camera isn’t going to cut it for long rides – I need to invest in a mobile first aide kit asap.

It hurt, but I knew I was ok. My first thought was that I would catch my breath then hop back on the bike, but my knee had a different story. Putting pressure on it was painful and the gash on my left knee was deep – stitches were needed.

IMG_0834.jpg

After my initial shock wore off, Courtney hopped back on her bike and headed back to the trailhead to pick up her car. A women with a kind heart and big smile stayed behind to help me clean my wounds and keep me company. While we waited, several others stopped to make sure we were ok and offered their own first aide kits. The amount of people who stopped really tore at my heart and made me thankful to be a apart of such a wonderful biking community.

Cyclists rock. Seriously.

Once Courtney returned with the car I hobbled to the passenger’s seat and we headed to the nearest urgent care center to have my knee looked at.

I can not say enough good things about the MedExpress Urgent Care Center. It was a great experience and I really have the welcoming and efficient staff to thank for that.

The front desk noticed my bloody knees and immediately brought me back to be examined. It took maybe 10 minutes to see the PA? and only 5 more to be x-rayed.

Luckily, the x-ray looked fine, but the deep gash needed stitches.

I’ve had a medal rod in my leg, been in a half body cast, and spent a month in a hospital with my leg in traction, but I’ve never had stitches. I guess there’s a first time for everything?

Four stitches later and I was good a new.

I need to keep them out of water for 24 hours – and she recommended holding off from swimming for 2-3 days – but besides that she said to go by how I feel. If it hurts – don’t run. If I feel fine – then go for it. They’re only in for 10 days and after that I’ll be good as new!

I’m choosing to have a positive attitude with the stitches. It’s only a blip on the radar when it comes to half ironman training and I know I’ll be up and running in no time. The PA was fairly confident I’ll be walking normal in less than two days and even told me to enjoy my vacation at the beach next week.

Once I was all stitched up, Courtney and I realized just how much our tummies were grumbling. We got in the car and immediately headed downtown for a belated breakfast/ brunch.

IMG_0843.jpg

We found the nearest restaurant that was open with no weight and practically collapsed at the table in starvation mode.

The greek omelet with fruit and wheat toast I ordered really hit the spot.

Courtney suggested checking out the homemade ice cream shop next door and I didn’t stop her.

Carrot Cake Ice Cream?

Yes Please!

I think four stitches deserves an ice cream cone. πŸ˜‰

The bike collision was 100% an accident, but it’s also a reminder that, as cyclists, we need to always be aware of our surroundings. Things can go from normal to scary in the blink of an eye – be prepared for anything and everything on the road. I forgot that today, but I promise not to forget that again.

Also...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember to wear your helmet!

I didn’t hit my head (luckily my whole upper body was un-marked), but I’m still thankful to have been wearing mine. The guy who I collided with wasn’t and that scares the crap out of me. We both got lucky – it could have been so much worse! Like I said, you just never know what could go wrong. Just ask my sister.

I’m off to follow the Doctor’s orders and take it easy for the rest of the day. I hope you’re doing the same.

Be safe!

1 Amy July 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

You’re cute as a button, even when you’re all bandaged up!

Such a scary thing to have happen. Glad you came out ok! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Moving hell

2 Christine July 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Glad you’re okay, and I reiterate the helmet thing! And parents riding with kids in seats they need them too (just last night I saw a dad with an 8ish-month old without). It’s always nice to hear that other people stop to help- I’ve seen runners do the same in races. It’s reassuring that there are nice people in the world!
Christine recently posted..Shots! June Reviews

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) July 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Ah! I’m so sorry to hear about your accident but I am so glad that it wasn’t too serious! Stiches are no fun (I got 3 in my index finger back in high school when I sliced my finger with a sharp knife!), but hopefully you will be good as new in a few days!

Keep it easy and I’m sending good vibes your way!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Suck It Up, Buttercup!

4 Cait's Plate July 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Gosh I’m so glad you’re alright! You’re definitely lucky you wore a helmet (though after what your sister went through I can’t imagine you wouldn’t!).

5 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Glad you are OK!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..July Goals

6 Freya July 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Oh gosh Meghann, how horrible!! I’m glad you’re OK, but OUCH!! I cried yesterday when I dropped a jar of pasta sauce on my toe, but I think your tears were waay more appropriate than mine!
Half body cast? Iron rod? Do tell!!
Freya recently posted..Five Tales and Twelve Miles

7 Erica July 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm

oh my goodness! I’m so glad you’re ok! Getting hurt is always such a scary experience. That brunch looks fabulous and the ice cream was a little more than well deserved! Hope you have a relaxing rest of the weekend
Erica recently posted..Love & Pregnancy Update/VLOG- Week 36

8 Tami July 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

i rode over railroad tracks in the rain and crashed on my bike the week before my first half ironman, i was ok but 20 minutes later some friends did the same thing and they ended up in the ER. I am glad you are OK. if you can, invest in a cycling shirt so you have more room to hold things
Tami recently posted..First of the month

9 Renee July 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Not going to lie- this brought tears to my eyes- that’s so awesome that so many people stopped to help you. I’m glad you are not hurt too badly and will be on your feet in no time!

10 Stephanie July 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm

So glad you are ok and it is always good to hear that people are so nice and willing to help. That ice cream looks awesome πŸ™‚
Stephanie recently posted..Wedding Woes

11 Hilary July 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm

So glad you’re ok…could have been a lot worse! I’ve had stitches twice…both from the kitchen! And yes, 4 stitches TOTALLY deserves ice cream for sure!
Hilary recently posted..Berried Treasure

12 Melissa @ TryingToHeal July 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm

battle scars! glad you’re ok!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Artsy Weekend

13 Krystina (Organically Me) July 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’m so glad you’re okay! Carrot cake ice cream is definitely deserved. πŸ˜€
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Raw Chard Wraps

14 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries July 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Glad you’re OK! I’m sure the whole experience was a bit scary. All in all, 4 stitches isn’t a bad outcome. Hey, maybe Cameron Diaz can take them out for you! She’s had some practice. (If you don’t watch The Daily Show, that won’t make any sense).

I think this is a sign that you should take it easy for the rest of the weekend πŸ™‚
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Halfway check-in

15 Val @ Balancing Val July 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Glad your ok!

I couldn’t help but laugh that you had someone photograph all the steps.

Your a true blogger my friend! πŸ™‚

16 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

So glad you’re okay! How was the other guy? Was he okay too?
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Healthy slurpees make me happy

17 Meghann July 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm

He was fine. He pretty much fled the scene as soon as it happened. He was running late to work but I got his number.

18 Holly @ Pink Runner July 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’m so glad you are okay! You deserved the ice cream!! I LOVE that you brought the camera in for the stitches πŸ™‚
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Boat Adventure

19 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Sorry about the stitches…definitely a great reason to eat ice cream! πŸ™‚
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Festival Fever

20 Dione July 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Glad to hear you are okay! I hope the rest of your long weekend is more enjoyable!

21 Katy Widrick July 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh no!!!!!!!

I guess it’s your first badge of honor in half ironman training — I’m so sorry you got hurt πŸ™ but glad cyclists came through to help.
Katy Widrick recently posted..My “Rock the Run” Playlist

22 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I’m glad you were wearing a helmet and that you are ok — sounds scary!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Cool Cucumber Water

23 Sarah July 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

What an eventful morning! I hope you enjoy your relaxing afternoon you deserve it! Homemade ice cream is the bomb.
Sarah recently posted..Hot & Cold

24 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm

OH MY GOD, GIRL!!!! I am so so sorry πŸ™ Wah that sucks so much. Those kinds of things always happen on the most unsuspecting days. At least it wasn’t worse!! <3
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..How To: Be Healthy on the Go!

25 Little Bookworm July 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Glad you are ok!
Little Bookworm recently posted..A Guest Post: Pupusas

26 Courtney July 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Yikes, glad you’re okay! πŸ™ What happened that landed you in the hospital for a month?!
Courtney recently posted..Baby!

27 kristi (sweet cheeks) July 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

yikes! That’s why I like to stick to my indoor spinning classes, hehe. So glad you are okay though!!
kristi (sweet cheeks) recently posted..Pancakes and Tennis

28 MaryBe July 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I’m happy for you that it wasn’t worse. You’re fortunate to have had such a calm collected friend with you.
You looked really cute today! Make sure Derrick spoils you
MaryBe recently posted..Mac and Cheeze and Lunch with Shrimps

29 Clare @ Fitting It All In July 3, 2011 at 5:19 pm

So glad you’re okay! That’s so terrifying but you’re right – it’s a minor blip and you’ll be back to training in no time.
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..What I Want

30 Cheryl July 3, 2011 at 5:41 pm

OMG! You came over to my side of the world and biked the almost same route we did yesterday! We stopped at Strachans, and realized we had $3 between the 2 of us so could not get any ice cream! LOVE their ice cream, the original location is up the trail north to Palm Harbor / Ozona – corner of Alt 19 and Tampa Rd..while you’re there, head west into Ozona and have a cold one out of the tub at Molly Goodhead’s, and some YUMMY ‘Que at the Ozona Pig!!

31 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

ouch – you poor thing! Glad to hear that the xray was ok! Take care xx
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A Jammin’ June

32 Julie @ There and Back Again July 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Taking photos/asking others to take photos in the midst of your first serious cycling injury? Now THAT is the sign of a dedicated blogger!! I love the lessons of cycling safety that you communicated because of this. Hope you are up, running, and riding again soon! πŸ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..One Day, Three Lighthouses

33 Lauren July 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Wow, Meghann I am so happy you are okay. I saw your tweets and I was so worried. Glad to see everything turned out okay and how awesome that so many people cared to stop and take care of you. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Starting It Off Right

34 SheFit July 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm

OMG! I’m so sorry. Glad you had help immediately from the cyclists. Hope the pain is subsiding by now.
SheFit recently posted..Corazonas Snacks Giveaway

35 Amanda July 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Glad to hear you’re okay!! Take an easy the rest of the weekend πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Quotable Sunday

36 Hillary July 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Oy, Meghann. You had an eventful Sunday! You definitely deserved that ice cream; hope you’re feeling better!
Hillary recently posted..Ten Things That Scream Summer

37 Courtney July 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm

so glad you’re okay!
Courtney recently posted..Awesome Saturday

38 TheHungeredOne @ MovingandMunching July 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re doing all right. Crashing is really scary, especially when it’s with another cyclist. I really love cycling culture, everyone is always willing to help and say hello and such. Even if I’m just off my bike at the side of the road, people stop and ask to make sure I’m ok. It’s really great.

That ice cream cone looks AMAZING. I want.
TheHungeredOne @ MovingandMunching recently posted..Weeks Are Flying By

39 rachel July 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hope that nasty gash heals quick!! What a horrible thing to have happened. If you had done that in the UK, you’d still be in A&E 6 hours later waiting for some student nurse to staple you back together. I cracked my ankle a couple of years ago and they didn’t even xray it. Sent me on my way with 2 ibuprofen and a bag of ice. It still isn’t right. Stupid NHS. Grrrrr!!!!
rachel recently posted..Bride. Groom. Chums. Dorset.

40 Kara July 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Wow, I’m glad you’re ok! If they didn’t tell you (I’ve had stitches in a similar area) use Vaseline when they get super itchy in a few days. It helps a TON and won’t slow down the healing. I think it might even help it heal faster?
Kara recently posted..The Wave

41 Sana July 3, 2011 at 7:14 pm

So glad you are ok I feell off my bike 2 weeks ago and it was scarrry!!
Sana recently posted..What is life all about?

42 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Stitches are no good. I had a wipeout, too, but it was on a very wide road with no cars. Was lucky – just a gigantic bruise on my butt. Good thing I think sitting on icepacks is sexy.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Salazon Chocolate: Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt

43 Cate July 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Glad to hear you’re OK. Hope you heal quickly and enjoy the rest time! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Guest Post at Then Heather Said!

44 Kathleen July 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm

The Pinellas trail is walking distance to my mother in law’s house and I ran a few glorious miles on it in March. I loved it and ran into Dunedin and went to the farmer’s market. I got lost on the way back and literally went the wrong way 3 times before finding my way but it was such a memorable experience. Especially since NJ was so cold. Unfortunately it was the weekend you were moving so I figured you would be too busy to gtg. Next time. I also had the carrot cake ice cream; the cake pieces were the best part, right?

Check this place out if you get a chance:

Everything is organic and gluten free and there is a little health food store attached. I got a grass fed burger and my mother in law got the quinoa bowl.

Hope you feel better.

45 Lee July 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Glad you are okay!

I’m curious about your half-body cast. What did you do?!
Lee recently posted..Recent Eats

46 emily July 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Yikes, I’m glad you’re ok!
emily recently posted..Psych!

47 Cindy July 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Oh my goodness! I hope you’re feeling better after that spill! Have a great fourth of july! πŸ™‚
Cindy recently posted..July 1?!

48 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Glad that everything worked out ok! Wishing you a speedy recovery! πŸ™‚
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Picnic Eats

49 M July 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hi megan!
Ah bummer but you are so lucky you didn’t have a major injury!

Was the other biker injured at all?

50 maria @ Chasing the Now July 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Yikes! Really glad you are okay and were able to learn to carry a first aid kit in the future without too much injury.

51 Bee Goes Bananas July 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Owie! That must have hurt! I’m so glad the injury was only minor and you weren’t more seriously injured! Funny how things can happen so suddenly and you don’t even know what hit you!

52 Jaime July 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Glad to hear you are ok! I always find fellow bikers wonderfully helpful in those kinds of situations. A great group of people overall!

53 delia July 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I’m glad you’re ok! I hope your insurance covers most of the cost. Doctor visits can be pricey!

54 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Another cyclist collided with me when I was training for a TRI too! Yikes! I am so SO sorry. I know how much it hurts πŸ™ But glad it wasn’t serious!

55 Kim July 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’m glad you’re okay!

What’s scary is that my little brother (turns 14 in 5 days!) rides the Pinellas Trail too but refuses to wear his helmet. I told him people get hit by cars and get in accidents more often then he thinks but he’s too cool to wear it.

I’m going to show him your sister’s story and tell my mother to just not let him out of the house unless he wears his helmet.

56 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

So sorry to hear about your accident, but I’m so glad you’re okay!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Happy hour at Isleworth

57 Meghan July 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Oh wow, SO glad that you’re okay. So amazing that so many people were willing to lend a helping hand. You’ve certainly been through a lot, can’t believe that you had never had stitches! Well until today that is. CARROT CAKE ice cream? umm yum! Definitely well deserved.

58 Leigh July 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Glad that you are okay and it was only stitches! Scary how fast stuff like that can happen. I have never had stitches, broken a bone or had a bloody nose, so I will live through you! πŸ™‚
Leigh recently posted..Three Things Thursday

59 Kelly July 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Glad to hear you’re OK. Take it easy and feel better.

60 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Oh wow! I’m so sorry!!! At least it wasn’t any worse!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..MIA

61 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs July 3, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Dude – you eat stitches for BREAKFAST. So glad you’re OK!!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Chances Are…I’m Going to Embarrass You

62 Amy July 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon πŸ™‚

63 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 4, 2011 at 12:00 am

Glad you’re ok! I’ve never had stitches either, the thought gives me the chills, hope they weren’t too bad!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Saturday scenes

64 Elisabeth July 4, 2011 at 12:16 am

Glad the knee’s OK! πŸ™‚

65 Katie July 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

Oh goodness, glad to hear you’re ok after taking a spill! I have to laugh at the documentation of the accident, stitches, etc! The other night, I happened to step on a shard of glass in our apartment (still not sure how it got there, since I vacuum constantly), and as I’m screaming in pain/bleeding all over the carpet…what do I do? I ask my husband to get my phone and I start taking pictures as I put pressure on my bleeding foot. Why did I do that? I have no clue.

Also, I had no idea that Strachan’s had a location in Dunedin as well! I wonder if they take credit cards? I’ve only been to the original location, and the hubby and I were SO lucky that we happened to have cash on us to pay…we hadn’t run into a cash-only store in such a long time!
Katie recently posted..Happy 4th of July!

66 Meghann July 4, 2011 at 10:05 am

Nope, they didn’t take credit cards – only cash. Where is the original location?

67 Katie July 4, 2011 at 10:14 am

North of Dunedin, on Alt 19… at the NW side of the intersection with Tampa Road! It’s a little white shack of a building with cows painted on it. I guess it makes sense that they don’t take credit cards because of all the fees they’d incur, but it definitely surprised us at first since I don’t usually carry much more the $5-10 cash on me! I did find it funny that they happen to have an ATM inside of the building…how convenient! πŸ˜‰
Katie recently posted..Happy 4th of July!

68 My Traveling Troop July 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

69 Karolina July 5, 2011 at 12:43 am

Sounds like a scary experience! I’m so glad that the damage wasn’t worse, and I hope that the cut heals very quickly. Your sister’s story is so scary. I’ve always worn my helmet while biking, and think it’s foolish not to!
Karolina recently posted..Thankfulness Project: 4th of July!

70 Dani Delicatessen July 5, 2011 at 5:50 am

Ah that’s crazy, I hope you are recovering quickly! That carrot cake ice cream sounds amazing, I’m definitely going to have to attempt to make a version of that on my own.
Dani Delicatessen recently posted..Lorenzo’s Rice Salad

71 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oh no! I hope you are feeling better! First aid kit is definitely a must!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Tuesday Blues

72 Alaina July 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m glad to see you came out relatively unscathed! I do find it humorous that through it all, the pictures must be taken. πŸ˜›
Alaina recently posted..The Fourth of July

73 Julie July 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

You poor thing! Glad it wasn’t serious though. When I was training for my first HIM, my friend and I went on a long ride, starting in San Francisco and going north across the Golden Gate Bridge. We went up this long uphill and stopped at the top and snapped pictures of the beautiful view of the city and bay. Then we took the back way down, which was super steep and narrow. I lost control and flipped over my bike and onto the side of the road (thank God for helmets!!). I didn’t have any bad cuts or broken bones, but I was pretty beat up and woozy.

It stopped the traffic behind me because the road was so narrow, and one of the bikers nearby stopped to see how I was (my friend was already at the bottom of the hill). His wife and kids were in the car right behind, and since they had a bike rack on the top of the car for the husband, they threw my bike on top and insisted on driving me down the hill. Once we got down there and realized we didn’t have cell phone service and there was no way I could ride the 15 miles back, the husband offered to drive us back across the bridge to our cars while his wife took the kids to the beach. When we got back we tried to give him money for bridge toll, but he refused and said he was happy to help a fellow cyclist out. What a great guy huh?? I totally believe in karma and am sure something great has happened to him in return for helping us in a time of need. Now everytime I’m cycling and see someone on the side of the road, either hurt or with a flat tire, I check to see if they’re alright and if they need any help. We cyclists need to watch out for each other πŸ™‚

74 Emily July 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I’m so glad you are okay! I have to comment because I had a similar experience with a running fall… I didn’t get stitches but I probably should have. I don’t know what happened… I must have tripped or something but in the process of fall I cut up both my knees, my elbow, and my forehead!! I got home (I was living with my parents then) and my sister looked at me and said ‘see this is why I don’t run.’ I’m so accident prone!
Emily recently posted..kitty, first day at work, new jar of peanut butter

75 Gloria July 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Hi Meghann! I know this post is from a few weeks ago, but I rarely get a chance to sit down and play online anymore. Super awesome you’re training for a half-ironman! Do you have a cycling jersey or other top that covers your shoulders? As a cyclist who has wiped out at 20+ mph, landing on my side/back wearing a tank top, I can say that it is very important to cover our shoulder areas that will take the brunt of impact. I had horrible road rash and now have scarring that I’m afraid will never go away. I know, I see fellow triathletes training all the time in sports bras/tanks but after my accident I’m just trying to warn anyone I can!

Good luck with the rest of your training and I’m so glad you’re ok πŸ™‚