Antiquing

by Meghann on July 2, 2011

Want to know something i thought I’d never say?

I went antiquing today and it was – wait for it – fun. πŸ™‚ < — somewhere out there my 10 year old self’s jaw just dropped.

The empty walls in my apartment have been driving me crazy lately, CR-A-ZY. They’ve been blank for months and I’m no closer to knowing what I want up there then I was when i first moved in.

Why is it to hard to fill in the blank walls? The people on HGTV and DIY network make it look so easy! Perhaps they shall teach me their ways? Before March I always wondered why people would hire interior decorators to come do their space, now I understand. In fact, I would happily hand someone, anyone, a blank check and tell them to go to town.

I had high hopes for shopping today. My friend Val and I were each on our own missions – I wanted some new art and she wanted a table for her couch. We loaded up and headed to a few antique shops she knew of in the area that were known for having great deals on one of a kind pieces.

The first place was a miss..

But the second was a hit!

So many, beautiful pieces I could have easily walked away with if I had the money or the space.

IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0787.JPG

I fell in love with this beautiful mirror, but it was a little heavy and I was afraid to pull the trigger on something that was so much $$ and I wasn’t 100% positive on.

IMG_0782.jpg

The third stop was even better than the last.

Inspiration leaked from every corner. I kept finding pieces that I knew were unique and beautiful, but I wasn’t 100% sure how to make them work outside of the store.

IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0797.JPG

One day I hope to have a big house where I can characterize each room with elegant, tailored pieces. I also hope to have ‘the eye’ to make it work. Again – the TV makes that skill look so easy!

I did find one piece I found worthy enough of pulling the wallet out.

I plan to hang the shelf up in my closet and hang necklaces on it. Pretty, no?

I never thought I would have fun antiquing, but all the beautiful pieces of art left me wandering the stores for hours. You just never knew what you were going to find around each corner!

IMG_0790.jpg

Our tummies began to grumble around 2:00, so we headed to Panne Rustica for lunch.

I ordered the Roasted Vegetable Sandwich as a salad.

The herbed goat cheese was the best part. So rich and salty – no dressing needed.

Val and I picked Chrissie up after lunch and headed to Homegoods for our final stop of the day.

The treasures in Homegoods weren’t nearly as elegant or rich in history as the antique store from earlier in the day, but I did find something that caught my eye.

Only $25 and it’s just big enough that it might work in the space. Fingers crossed!

I bid adieu to the girls and headed straight to Whole Foods to pick up some goods for dinner.

IMG_8120.jpg

We’re having a lazy Saturday night around here and a lazy Saturday night means I get to have some fun in the kitchen.

Tonight’s inspiration? The fresh pasta sheets I found near the gourmet cheeses.

As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to try them.

The plan was for homemade cannellonis. In true Meghann fashion, there was no recipe – just winging it.

Starting with the sheets that had to be pre-boiled.

30 seconds in the water was all they needed.

The filling was a mix of ricotta, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, italian sausage, salt, and lots of pepper.

Just a big glob of filling on an end of the pasta sheet.

And rolled into a tube.

Easy peasy.

Topped with marinara sauce

IMG_8175.JPG IMG_8177.JPG IMG_8179.JPG

fresh grated parmesan and basil

The pasta baked for 30 minutes at 375.

Now, that’s what I call a Saturday night meal!

I had two of the stuffed cannelloni with a side spinach salad of spinach, tomatoes, and fresh parmesan cheese.

The fresh pasta was like cutting into butter. It melted in your mouth in a ‘oh my god this is what food is suppose to take like’ way. I’m never going back to boxed again. Ever.

Derek’s mouth moaned in pleasure after each bite. I’ll take that as a good sign. πŸ™‚

My pat on the back for a killer meal was an outing to Frozen Yogurt.

I make food. He buys the fro-yo. πŸ™‚

They had all my favorites tonight: peanut butter, cake batter, red velvet, and rocky road – oh my!

Pre-4th of July firework displays are engulfing our neighborhood and Maddie is NOT a fan. I’ve never seen a dog scramble to a front door so fast. Poor pups. Don’t worry Maddie – it will all be over soon. (I hope)

Good Night!

1 The Teenage Taste July 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I never thought to go antiquing before, but now I really want to. I love the idea of finding “hidden gems” in the dusty, old antique shops. It’s like something out of a movie! Haha. πŸ˜‰
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers

2 Hillary July 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm

There are a bunch of beautiful antique stores right near my house, and I love exploring and finding things that are way out of my price range (and that I have zero room for). A girl can dream!
Hillary recently posted..Ten Things That Scream Summer

3 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Wait I love antiques, it’s fine. I think I have a love affair with the smell of antiques. Get a whiff, waaaait, is that the smell of old people? Can I buy that at Macy’s?
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Are you sure this is healthy?! It doesn’t taste healthy…

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 2, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I have not had fresh pasta before but I’ve heard it is unbelievably good. Great job using it — that looks delicious!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Food

5 michelle July 2, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I love antique stores but don’t have the money to get what catches my eye. I’m always shocked at how expensive some of the pieces are.

That dinner looks so good!
michelle recently posted..Parks, Books, Boats… and a little running

6 Sana July 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished room!!! And dinner looked AMAZINGGG!
Sana recently posted..The Hairy Truth

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I kinda hate how people set off fireworks before and after the actual day.
1. it annoys my dog
2. it annoys me
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Grocery store thoughts

8 Fit Chick Britt July 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I haven’t antiqued in a long time. I bet I would enjoy it now! Youre dinner looks sooo good!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Makeup Free Friday

9 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Rocky road fro-yo?! Yum!

10 Leigh July 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I don’t have Twitter, or else I would respond on there, but what are your parent’s doing in Calgary? I live there (they lucked out as we have been having great weather lately!). Are they turning Banff or Lake Louise at all?

I love the turqouise dresser, but it would not fit into my house ‘theme’!
Leigh recently posted..Three Things Thursday

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 2, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I LOVE antique stores! I could spend all day in them. If I was rich, I would buy so much stuff from there!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hi, July!

12 Amanda July 2, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I’ve never been antiquing before, but you just made it look so tempting! Looks like you had a quite a fun day πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Recovery Weekend!

13 Katherine July 2, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I usual hate antiquing, but I can understand how it would help with decorating a home. Maybe when I have one I’ll appreciate it better πŸ™‚ The dinner also looked so delicious, I wish I was better in the kitchen myself. I love your blog. Happy Fourth of July!
Katherine recently posted..The Worst Movies

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

That sounds amazing! And I agree, fresh pasta is where it’s AT!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sick Days

15 Katherine July 3, 2011 at 12:30 am

I have to be in a certain mood, but if I am in that mood, I can really get into antiquing!
Katherine recently posted..Wooh! A NEW Workout!

16 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) July 3, 2011 at 6:14 am

I have a mirror that looks very similar to that one hanging above my kitchen table. Mirrors help make a small space feel so much bigger so I have a ton in my tiny studio apartment.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Staycation: Montrose Park and Rock Creek

17 Bee Goes Bananas July 3, 2011 at 7:14 am

I love antiquing! I’ve never bought anything, but just walking around and looking at all the neat stuff is so much fun! I really like flea markets too!

18 Ashlyn July 3, 2011 at 7:56 am

please tell me you cooked the sausage before putting it into the pasta? :-/

19 Meghann July 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

Nope – ate it raw. Just the way I like it!

Yes, it was cooked. πŸ˜‰

20 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan July 3, 2011 at 8:29 am

Antiquing? Fresh pasta? Who ARE you? Ha!
Excellent post!

21 Elizabeth July 3, 2011 at 8:30 am

I love antique shops too, but since the prices are usually out of my “bargain price zone” I tend to stick to flea markets and thrift stores, where I can hopefully find a diamond in the rough! I picked up a wonderful mid-century modern coffee table in great condition for $30 this week!
Elizabeth recently posted..New-twi-sun

22 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 3, 2011 at 9:11 am

oh my word that pasta dish looks AMAZING! I hope that I can find some of that fresh pasta today while we’re at the store. mm mmm mmm! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Ladies Night Dinner at Founding Farmers Restaurant

23 Jane July 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love antiquing, which my 10 year old self also cringes at! I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. Love the shelf and that clock was a great deal!
Jane recently posted..Finding a healthy, happy balance…

24 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

I SOooo don;t have an eye for decorating… or antiquing!

Your pasta looks delish! There is a ‘made from scratch, fresh pasta’ stand at the local market and their pastas are to die for!
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.

25 Luna July 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

I discovered that antiquing is fun recently, too!

A friend of mine decorated one of the walls with mirrors, from small to bigger ones of every shape and style πŸ™‚ She started with a couple and then kept adding over time πŸ™‚ It’s very nice !

26 Sarah July 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m in love with those dressers!! I used to go antiquing with my mom when I was younger but haven’t been in years. It’s so much fun! The cannelloni looks really great too and so easy!
Sarah recently posted..Hot & Cold

27 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs July 3, 2011 at 10:14 am

Ha – I didn’t have anything on my walls for almost 3 years before I finally figured out what I wanted! And the funny this is – I found it at Target. I’ve also had good luck at Kohl’s. There are still a million things I need for my house though — does it ever end?
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Chances Are…I’m Going to Embarrass You

28 Biz July 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

I wish there was a whole foods closer – I’d love to buy those pasta sheets! I’ll just continue to mess up my kitchen by making them myself though.

Have a safe and happy 4th!
Biz recently posted..Week 5 of 101 Days of Summer Challenge

29 Krystina (Organically Me) July 3, 2011 at 10:34 am

Those cannelloni look SO good! Great job. πŸ˜€
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Raw Chard Wraps

30 Holly @ Pink Runner July 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

I LOVE all of those dressers that you found antiquing! I would want them all! Love that blue one!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Boat Adventure

31 Courtney July 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Sounds like you had a fun day!! Great finds! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..YES!

32 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh WOW. Those stores look great. I love the clock you found! And your pasta dish looks reallllyyy yummy πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Plate It

33 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I went antiquing today too! It’s so funny how something that seemed like torture as a kid is fun now!

That pasta dish looks delicious!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Sunday Shopping!

34 Dynamics July 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

OMG, that is the lamp I have been looking for FOREVER!!!! No wonder I cannot find it, you have it in Florida!

35 Marissa July 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Mmmm–those yogurt flavors sound awesome! I’m not really a fan of antiqueing… maybe I’ll get into that when I’m older and have my own house to decorate. I remember when I was little and we first moved into our house, there was nothing I hated more than when my mom dragged me out of the house to go shopping ALL DAY for furniture/rugs/window treatments/art/etc…

36 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Don’t tell anyone but I love antiquing!!! I always seem to be drawn to the items that are waaaaaay out of my price range. Maybe one day I’ll splurge!
Good luck with the walls πŸ™‚
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Lazy Sunday

37 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Antiquing looks fun! I am so obsessed with HGTV, and I wish I could just absorb some of their skills. But, I’m pretty terrible at visualizing how things come together. That meal looks fantastic. Congrats on an awesome non-recipe!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Happy hour at Isleworth

38 Katy @ RunKatyRun July 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

What’s the name of the store with the grey and white dresser?! I live in Tampa too and my Fiance and I are in dire need of a second dresser (plus grey is my favorite color…well, tied with yellow)! =o)

39 Meghann July 4, 2011 at 7:34 am

It was called Summer House. Great store with lots of great finds!