Savory Oats

by Meghann on July 1, 2011

Finally FINALLY I succeeded at trying the savory egg/oatmeal combo I’ve been drooling over for a year now and – you know what? – it was GOOD!

I’ve seen the egg on oatmeal combo floating around for a while. I didn’t have a recipe, so I just took the concept and ran with my own take on it.

The oatmeal came first.

I started with some chopped carrot, radishes, and onions on the stovetop. I cooked them with a little olive oil until they were soft. Then I added 1/2 a cup of rolled oats, 1/2 a cup water, 1/2 a cup of milk, and a generous shake of a random seasoning mix from the cabinet. Once the oats were cooked, I threw in a handful of spinach and folded the spinach in until it blended with the oats.

Next, the eggs.

Those were easy. Just fried them up like I normally would in a frying pan. I tried to keep both yolks runny, but accidentally busted one. Oopss….

Finally, the toppings.

A spoonful of salsa. A sprinkle of feta cheese. I was good to go.

What was missing: Siracha(!!!) and more salt. It was a little bland, but that was my fault. Besides the blandness, I was a big fan. In fact, I think the combination passed the ‘Derek Friendly’ test. Perhaps I’ll make it for dinner for him sometime soon? 😉

Any fun combinations out there you’ve been dying to try, but still haven’t gotten around to it?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Ahhh I’ve been wanting to try that for soo long!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..raw cheesecake bites

2 Hillary July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’ve been wanting to try your “egg on pizza” combo for a while!
Hillary recently posted..That’s Bananas!

3 michelle July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Oh wow that looks good. I usually wait another hour to eat but now my tummy is growling
michelle recently posted..2011 Goals–How are YOU doing?

4 Laurin July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm

This looks really yummy!
Laurin recently posted..SUYL-Baked Apple Pancake Breakfast Recipe

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

ohh I love that savory oats combo! 🙂

I love that for when there are only eggs oats and frozen veggies in the house! 🙂
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Morning Boot Camp Class, Very Berry Breakfast & Holiday Plans

6 Nikole July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I make savory oats a few times a week. I don’t care for sugar for breakfast. I make my oats (old fashioned) in the microwave with water and add one over easy egg. Then I cover it with the Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. I also add a little garlic powder and salt and pepper. It is so good and just as quick as any other breakfast in the morning.

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ve yet to go the savory oats route, but I definitely want to try it!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Summer bruschetta

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I think savory oats look/sound good, but any attempt has been a total failure. I love eggs, I love oatmeal, but maybe they just aren’t meant to be together for me 🙂
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Strength + Speed

9 Holly July 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Never tried savory oats–I just can’t imagine it! I wanna give it a go, though.
Holly recently posted..Humid 6 Miles

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Sounds delicious! I love a runny egg over pretty much anything: root veggies, mashed potatoes, leftover Thanksgiving stuffing…
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Anthony’s Pizzeria: Love at first slice

11 Marina July 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love savory oatmeal topped with a runny egg!

12 Marina July 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

And forgot to say that oatmeal cooked plain with water and salt, and topped with canned tuna and tomato sauce is also an awesome combo!

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This is the only time I’ve ever seen savory oats in a way that sounds appealing to me. I might finally brave the combo!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Something To This Goal Thing

14 Jess July 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

After reading your post from last night I might have to try PB-pickle sandwiches 🙂
Jess recently posted..On a Boat

15 Hope July 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Those oats look interesting! I want to try a sweet potato with peanut butter on top and a pizza with an egg on top! Got both of those ideas from you! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Sometimes the Truth Hurts…

16 Stefanie@RUNON July 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Those are the craziest oats I have ever seen. I would have never thought of making savory oats. I may be trying this soon.
Stefanie@RUNON recently posted..Sarcoiliac Joint with a Side of Dysfunction

17 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That looks super good! I usually prefer my oats to be a bit sweeter, but I may have to try something like that
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Survey and Furry Friends Friday Part 2

18 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I have been wanting to try the egg pizza but I never seem to have eggs on hand when I make pizza 🙂

Your savory oatmeal looked great!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Choices at the salad bar

19 sarah July 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

yumm!! I’ve been putting eggs on everything lately! I had my first runny egg salad last night and it was delicious!

20 Wymberley July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I have been toying with savory french toast.

Very tasty! I will try this idea tonight!

21 Ellie July 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Do you ever proofread your posts?

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Uhhhh, that looks really interesting :() but, I am glad you enjoyed it!!

I want to try coconut oil at some point!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What I Love

23 Jamie@everydaydolce July 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Wow, that’s a crazy combination…I love how creative your meals are, I wish I had your ambition 😉
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..all I have to say

24 Alisa @ Runs With Knives July 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Just found your blog! I’ve made savory oats frequently for dinner. I love making them with lots of garlic and greens.
Alisa @ Runs With Knives recently posted..More bacon than the pan can handle.

25 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I wasn’t sure I could get into this, until I just saw one of the replies mentioned adding sausage. Add sausage to pretty much anything and I am there!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Fortune and Rewards

26 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I cannot believe how much you cook. I think it’s amazing! I’m lucky if I “cook” a turkey sandwich!
Your pictures make me want to learn how…I’m just afraid I’ll burn down the house!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Shopaholic…

27 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 1, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I’ve thought about trying the ‘egg ‘n oats’ combo before, but never with all the veggies! Might have to ‘go big or go home’ and give it a try!

I LOVE runny eggs 🙂
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..Put a Cork in It!

28 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I haven’t yet tried savory oats.. something about them turns my stomach. But they DO sound amazing!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sick Days

29 Sana July 2, 2011 at 12:06 am

I don’t think I could ever do savory oats, oy!
Sana recently posted..1 year ago….

30 Leelu July 2, 2011 at 4:48 am

I’ve never tried savory oats before – I’m still mustering up the courage to. Maybe today will be the day. After all – your look great!
Leelu recently posted..Independence

31 Ralph Malph July 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I love savory oatmeal. You might want to try crumbling some cooked bacon over steel cut oats- or spinach and oregano- or corn and cumin- or mushrooms.

It can go on and on- just read a post about using chicken stock as the liquid- brilliant!