Just a Run

by Meghann on June 30, 2011

Good Morning. :)

Do you know what I did this morning? I went for a run. That’s it – a simple 6 mile run with no time limits, no other sports attached, and no treadmill involved. I just laced up my running shoes and took off.

I can’t tell you the last time I went for a run just to run (or even went for a run around my neighborhood for that matter). It was very relaxing and serene. My head has been so wrapped up with HIM training and fitting all three sports in at once that I’ve let my running slip a bit. I almost forgot how much I love the sport and how so many miles in the early morning dew fly by.

I think 6 miles is the longest distance I’ve run in weeks. Running is my strongest sport when it comes to triathlon training, so I’ve been focusing on swimming and cycling these first few weeks. I’m grown to appreciate the two, but this morning was proof they’ll never replace my love for a good run. :)

My run ended with a good stretch, foam rolling, and breakfast.

I’m on a summer cereal kick and I’m ok with that.

• 1 cup Multigrain Cheerios (the last of the box)
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • Black Cherry Chobani
  • Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Cacao Nibs

What’s your sport of choice? Running? Cycling? Swimming? Zumba-ing?

1 Lizzy June 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

I love RUNNING! But, I’m trying to get back into swimming. It’s starting to become a close 2nd favorite.

2 Lindsey June 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Running all the way! I love going for a run for no reason (training), with no time, speed limits etc! I went out this morning too, for about 7km, great way to start a day I think!
Lindsey recently posted..Marathon Series: The Gear

3 Courtney June 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Running is now, hands down! When I was growing up, though, it was all about gymnastics. :)
Courtney recently posted..Strong Muscles = Healthy Person

4 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run June 30, 2011 at 9:39 am

I like running, mainly because it’s the only thing I’m sort of good at and don’t look like a dork doing. Well, race pictures say differently, but in my MIND I don’t look like a dork. :-)

But I LOVE spinning. And miss it. I need a new gym membership…
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Motivation Post

5 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

What a beautiful bowl of berries! I was just reading for the millionth time that berries are good for your bones, odd but true!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Preparing for Peachtree

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

Definitely running :) I went for an untimed 4 mile run last night that was actually a lot nicer than I thought it’d be without any expectations.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Flashdance

7 michelle June 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

Running is my favorite sport, hands down. I have been flirting with the idea of training for a tri because I really like the thought of incorporating swimming and biking into my routine instead of mainly running and weight lifting.
michelle recently posted..Revisiting the FIRST Training Program / Running Goals

8 Samantha June 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

I do running most often because I can’t afford a gym membership right now (or a road bike), but spinning is a close second. I love the high you get after a hardcore spin class just as much as I love runner’s high. Not big on swimming, but I think that’s because I haven’t taken the time to thoroughly learn about the sport yet.
Samantha recently posted..Run Before the Sun

9 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

Um, swimming. Best thing ever. Except MAYBE synchronized swimming
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Ritter Sport: Crunchy Stuff

10 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’ve always wanted to try synchronized swimming! I wonder if there are any beginning adult classes around here…

11 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

1. We could have a morning class during HLS
2. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Florida-Synchronized-Swimming/122935767771583?v=info
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Ritter Sport: Crunchy Stuff

12 Meghann July 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

If only there was time at HLS! :) I’ll check the Facebook page out though!

13 Krissie J June 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love to run as well, but I miss playing soccer. A lot.
Krissie J recently posted..Breakfast for Dinner

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

My sport is Weight lifting. Nothing makes me feel more badass.

15 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

I always try to pick my favorite sport – but I can’t. So that’s why I’m doing a triathlon. ha I used to love running – but injuries always forced me into the pool and onto the bike, so I’ve grown to love them too.
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Pass it Forward

16 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers June 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

My sport of choice would have to be volleyball, I like to be part of a team AND I feel as though spandex shorts make everyone sexy. Throw some killer spikes and dives on the floor, and you’ve got yourself a sweaty exciting mess of fun!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..“Diet Foods”: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-Part TWO

17 Cara June 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

I’m a running girl all the way! I do love a break every now and again and then I hit to rode with my bike, or pick up a kickboxing class but generally I’m a run only kind of girl. It’s the best!

18 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It June 30, 2011 at 9:44 am

I have been wondering when you where going to go for a run :-)

Soemtimes it’s so nice to just go out and run and clear your mind and not think about anything.
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..New Theme: Delicious Magazine

19 Jen423 June 30, 2011 at 9:45 am

Meghann, how do you deal with thirst when you run a longer distance like that? I’ve recently started stashing a bottle of water in bushes along my running route because I just die of thirst when running anything more than 2 or 3 miles in this warmer weather.

Maybe I’m just a super thirsty person. I have no idea.

20 JessicaEn June 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

I get thirsty during runs but don’t like water sloshing around in my tummy. I tend to have a dry mouth too so I always have a piece of gum or hard candy or cough drop to suck on. it keeps my mouth from getting dry without having to sip.

21 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

The route I take has a water fountain on the 2 mile mark. It’s an out and back, so I get water twice. I’m usually not too thirsty on runs, but always stop.

22 Amy June 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Do you have a water bottle you can take? I got one that comes with a sleeve that makes it easy to carry.
Amy recently posted..halfway point

23 kalli June 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

what a great question! CYCLING for sure…..always has been always will be :)
kalli recently posted..Back to colorado

24 Vikki June 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Hula hooping or hoopdancing as it is called. (I’m sure that I don’t look graceful doing it but we’ll say that I’m a hoopdancer. I probably look like the elephants in tutus doing ballet in the old cartoons.)

I like how I feel after I run, but I don’t actually like running so when I realized that I could get the same feeling from hoopdancing and not actually hate every minute of actually doing it, I switched.

25 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I still need to take a hula hooping class. It’s on my list of things to do for iZon.

26 Vikki June 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm

You’ll love it. A good resource for finding hoopers in your area is http://www.hoopcity.ca and http://www.hooping.org.

27 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair June 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

That Black Cherry Chobani is so delish.

It’s PERFECT with fruit.

Tuesdays and Thursdays my sport of choice is cycling in the from of Spin class. I went extra hard because I won’t be able to make class again until NEXT Thursday!

28 katieRUNSthis June 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love, love, LOVE running. Being 22 weeks pregnant, I’m still trying to keep it up…but I am certainly slowing down. Baby belly + summer heat = slowest jog EVER! :)

I am, however, doing a sprint triathlon next month, so we will see how that goes! :) When I am not running, I love cycling…and swimming comes at a more distant third. I’m not a natural swimmer, but I muscle through it.

Post-baby (early November) I plan on using Zumba and maybe TurboFire to whip my body back into shape. I hope it works! :)
katieRUNSthis recently posted..This is NOT a runner’s diet.

29 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

22 weeks pregnant and still running and training for a sprint tri?!?! Umm…. can I have your energy with I’m prego?

30 katieRUNSthis June 30, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Ha! I never said it was easy and I certainly can’t hit it as had as I would like to! I actually ran the Rock N Roll Mardi Gras marathon this year…6 weeks along…I didn’t even know I was pregnant yet! A few weeks after that I did a half marathon. Its getting harder now and I’m topping out at a 10k for distance.

Its really helped control my weight gain but, honestly, I feel like I’ll only get about a month or so or running in before I have to slow down until after Baby Key.

31 Vikki June 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm

My sister-in-law is a runner and she ran when she was pregnant with my nephew until well into the third trimester. She wasn’t fast or graceful, but she was running.

32 katieRUNSthis June 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm

That’s my goal! Just keep moving! :)
katieRUNSthis recently posted..This is NOT a runner’s diet.

33 The Teenage Taste June 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

Running will always have my heart, but my other favorite ways of exercising are Zumba, Tae Kwan Do, and strenth-training!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers

34 Sara June 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

My all time favorite sport is Water Polo! But I’m really getting into cycling too. And if I wasnt injury prone I think I could really love running too! I like doing various exercises, it keeps things more interesting.

35 Shanna, Like Banana June 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hmm, for me I’d say Yoga…or actually just walking. That may seem not hard core, but I love going for really long hilly walks.
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..WIAW–highlights

36 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

I absolutely love playing Squash! I’ve you’ve never played, you’ve got to get out there, it’s a fantastic sport!!! Great workout!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Sushi Serenity

37 Courtney June 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

Running and cheerleading! :D
Courtney recently posted..Lucky Find

38 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I cheered in High School! back then it was my favorite sport. :)

39 Courtney June 30, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I’m cheering in college and I’m so excited! It is such a fun, happy sport :)
Courtney recently posted..Lucky Find

40 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

Even when I’m sick of it, running will always be my favorite :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW and Blender Explosions

41 Sophie June 30, 2011 at 11:01 am

Jazzercise all the way for me! Although C25K is helping me to love running too :D
Sophie recently posted..Post Workout Fuel.

42 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

I like running, even though I’m not naturally good at it. I guess my “sport” is more yoga – that one comes very naturally to me and I never get sick of it!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Does Anything Beat Free Cookies?

43 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

I used to be a cheerleader and absolutely loved it! Now, I really like Kickboxing.
Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Bottomless Pit

44 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I used to cheer too! I miss it.

45 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

Swimming!! Or Zumba. I like to run, but only when I FEEL like it. I hate feeling like I HAVE to do it (too many running races caused this. ha) :)

Nicely done!

46 Hillary June 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

Tap dancing will always be my sport of choice, but running is a close second ; )
Hillary recently posted..The Early Bird Hits Snooze

47 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles June 30, 2011 at 11:33 am

My favorite sports are kayaking and rafting…good upper body workout while staying cool and enjoying nice scenery. Can’t go wrong.
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles recently posted..Summer Rain

48 Hope June 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

Dancing is my favorite sport specifically tap. I also like to power walk and run.
Hope recently posted..A Box Full Of Goodies!…

49 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes June 30, 2011 at 11:45 am

The other day I went for “just a run” and it was so relaxing. So speed checking, no mile limit…just running. It was SO enjoyable. Enjoy your Thursday!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Skinny Girl

50 Lauren June 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’d say running is my thing — but I don’t like how hard it is on my body, sometimes. (I’ve had persistent IT band issues for years, even when I’m doing all the right things. So it goes). Lately, I’ve been really, really into ballet barre classes — I adore it! My first love was dancing, and I like that I can once again access my dormant ballerina in these classes. :) I love how they make me feel stronger, more flexible, and more graceful all at once.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

51 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

running or chasing my 3 yr old, which is also running…soooo…running.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Tofu-r Sure!

52 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories June 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Zumba-ing for sure! So much fun, the class is over before you know it. :)
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #15: Sunny Seed Krispy Treats

53 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Yay for running!

I slept in today (which means I got up at 6:45). Does that count as a sport?
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..So Excited for July!!!

54 Sara @ Itemized Eats and Intervals June 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Step aerobics is my absolute favorite, but running comes in at a close second! I’m training for a 10k currently so I’m trying to get in more runs. I don’t know what I’d do if I got seriously injured though, because I can’t stand swimming, and cycling only if I’m outside (I can’t do spinning classes!!) I sound so picky, haha! I used to be a treadmill junkie, but I’m learning to appreciate the simple outdoor runs, much like yours this morning. :)
Sara @ Itemized Eats and Intervals recently posted..Bloggity Blog

55 Carissa June 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm

My sport of choice is – strength training! Nothing builds lean muscles and gives me the toned body I want like weights. But I do mix in some running and races for extra motivation!
Carissa recently posted..The Breakfast of the YEAR!

56 Meghann July 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

Next time I come to Orlando I may have to track you down and train with you!

57 Carissa July 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That’d be awesome Meghann! Bring it on! Then you can get some “guns” like your sis! haha!
Carissa recently posted..Good music and good coupons

58 Lauren June 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Ah, sometimes those no pressure runs are just what we need in the middle of a hardcore training schedule. :)
Lauren recently posted..Do Onto Others….

59 Bill Kelm June 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Have to be running, did a new 5-mile route this morning, and really enjoyed seeing some new scenery.

60 Doc (The Healthy PhD) June 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I also love to ‘just run’. Sometimes I love my long runs best because that’s the closest thing in my training program to ‘just running’. My shorter ones during the week all have time goals and such.

As much as I love running, I love what swimming does to my body. I look soooooo toned when I swim a lot!
Doc (The Healthy PhD) recently posted..That time of year again

61 Lizzy June 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Running all the way!!!!

62 Amanda June 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Do you have a foam rolling routine? Or just wing it every time? How long do you roll for?

63 Meghann July 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

I don’t have a specific routine, but if you search ‘foam rolling’ in youtube – you’ll get a TON of how-to videos for it. I usually roll for 5-10 minutes while watching tv.

64 Matteson June 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I LOVE Zumba! I started about a year ago, and since then I’ve been hooked!
Matteson recently posted..A Very Colorful Meal

65 Alaina June 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I am definitely all about the running. I would like to get into cycling though. I kinda need a bike to do that. :-)
Alaina recently posted..Myers + Chang

66 emlod10 June 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

TENNIS! absolutely love it.

67 Lorin June 30, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I really like doing things that are more fun to me and doesn’t feel like exercise. I like running, but I get bored after awhile. However, things like mountain biking, snowboarding, bodyboarding, ect. give me exercise that may not always be as intense as running but still gives me a good workout. Actually cross country skiing is one of the most calorie expending exercises out there.

68 Katie June 30, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I’ve been super stressed and out of it lately. But for 3 days in a row I have gotten done with work and gotten 4 miles in! Day 1 and Day 3 were walk/runs and Day 2 was a walk with a friend. It felt so dang good to get back on the road!!!! Now I’m going to do 2 days of yoga, and I am seriously looking forward to it! ahhh yeah!