more ยป" />

Tweet Up

by Meghann on June 29, 2011

Tonight I had the pleasure of attending my first ever official Tweet Up at Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza.

Funny Story.

A couple of months ago I saw a handful of my Orlando twitter friend tweeting about a Tweet Up they were attending at Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza in Orlando. As a HUGE fan of Anthony’s – and their mouth watering pizza – myself, I was a teensy bit jealous I couldn’t be there.

That jealously led to some back and forth tweets with the Anthony’s tweeter (where I put on my best pouty face and begged them to have a similar Tweet Up in Tampa). Those tweets caught the attention of Anthony himself (yes, Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza is actually own by a nice guy named Anthony) and sure enough – Bam! – a Tampa tweet up was born!

LOVE the power of Social Media! ๐Ÿ™‚

The Tweet Up was co-hosted by the folks at Metromix Tampa. They provided a few door prizes for the event and created a twitter list of attendees.

I wasn’t sure what to expect at the tweet up. Would I make new friends? Meet tweeters in the area? Find everyone talking to each other by typing into their smart phones? So many things could happen!

Luckily I brought a friend.

(side note: out of the two months Courtney and I have known each other – this is the first time we’ve seen each other in normal clothes and not running/swimming/biking gear)

And we all know what I was really there for anyways…. The Food!

Oh, Anthony’s, you know you make the best pizza ever. Please – never change. ๐Ÿ™‚

With the (multiple) pizza options, they also had a beautiful salad and their famous wings and meatballs.

I immediately dug in, piling my plate high with salad, a meatball, chicken wing, and two different slices of pizza – the cauliflower and basil, tomato, and fresh mozzarella.

The cauliflower pizza is Anthony’s newest addition to their menu and I have to say it was the most interesting. The roasted cauliflower and mix of cheeses was super buttery and rich, I almost needed a cup of marinara sauce on the side to dip the pizza and cut the richness a tad. It tasted amazing, but I could only handle a slice at a time.

As always, the wings were flavorful and grilled to perfection and the extra large meatball with ricotta cheese reminded me of my Dad and his love for Anthony’s meatball appetizer.

The tweet up wasn’t terribly large, but I did make one connection with @CarlosEats. Carlos writes a local food blog and promised to help me become more involved with the Tampa food blog scene. Yay for new friends!

Our table lucked out with door prizes at the end.

Courtney won a DVD pack courtesy of Metro Mix Tampa.

And I lucked out by winning BOTH the giveaway for funniest tweet (I tweeted Anthony’s telling him how I should win because I got the ball moving for this event in the first place ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and a random door prize for putting my name in a box.

Score!

Did I mention Derek got to join in on the fun too? You say free food – he’s there!

My first tweet up was a blast! Good food, great people, and new people to follow on twitter in the Tampa area. Win, Win in my opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Big THANKS to Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza and Metromix Tampa for making this possible!

After the Tweet Up Derek, Courtney, and I thought it only seemed logical we would walk next door to World of Beer for a quick drink.

I ordered the Cigar City Jai Alai – a Tampa local IPA brew that has really grown on me.

mmmm….. beer. ๐Ÿ™‚

We stayed, talked, and parted ways.

Pizza + Beer = major sweet tooth alert when I got home.

Much better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pretty in Pink is on the DVR and it’s calling my name.

Good Night!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Interesting! I’ve never participated in a tweet up before, but if it involves free food, I’m there! ๐Ÿ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy birthday little brother

2 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 29, 2011 at 10:01 pm

what an awesome and delicious event! That meatball and marinara looks heavenly! ๐Ÿ™‚

I want to do a tweet up! Now I just need to figure out what city I’m going to be living in! ๐Ÿ˜›
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Workout Wednesday Triple Threat Strength Exercise Workout

3 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers June 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ahhh Jai Alai heard so many good things about that beer!!

I LOVE going to tweet ups, it’s totally opened my mind to the NC Triangle food and drink scene, it’s great to meet other like minded folks and try new cuisines.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..โ€œDiet Foodsโ€: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-Part TWO

4 kristy @ kristyruns June 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm

looks like a great time! have fun watching pretty in pink!!!
kristy @ kristyruns recently posted..W.I.A.W.

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Oh free, good, food how I love thee! Looks really yumm. I love a good pizza, that is for sure! ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Backstroke

6 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Looks like fun! Love the idea of a tweet up!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Preparing for Peachtree

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

What a fun event! I’d go to anything involving free pizza ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW and Blender Explosions

8 Carissa June 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Anthonys is the besssttttt pizza ever! My mouth was watering reading your post! It’s my whole family’s fave! Can they rehave an Orlando tweet up??? Haha!
Carissa recently posted..KW Collards- Eat some Slammin’ Good Greens!

9 Bee Goes Bananas June 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I just created a Twitter account for my blog. It’s such a great way of networking. You can find me at BeeGoesBananas!

10 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm

PIZZAAAA! And free goodies!! I’m so glad you had a good time!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..My house is bursting with juice.

11 Mandy June 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Okay… is this better than Mellow Mushroom?! It looks amazing!

12 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Mellow Mushroom is more of the thick, chewy crust, while Anthony’s is thin and crispy. They’re two totally different approaches to pizza, but both are equally as delicious in their own way. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Mimi June 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Love Pretty and Pink. And your hair, too, BTW!
Mimi recently posted..Those normal days

14 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks girl ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 29, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Looks like a fun time! I need to try Anthony’s next time in FL, there’s one 2 minutes from my mil’s house that I’ve always ignored.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..It ain’t no Whole Foods

16 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Go! It’s great!

17 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 29, 2011 at 11:09 pm

How fun! Crazy what social media can do!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sick Days

18 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

what a fun evening!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Chicken and Vegetable Shepherds Pie

19 Sam @ Savage Race June 29, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Awesome, Meghann. This place is owned by the family of a good friend of mine, yet I’ve never been. Looks delish!

-Sam @ Savage Race

20 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

And you’ve never been? There are two in Orlando – one by Ikea and the other by Whole Foods. Go. Now. ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Sam @ Savage Race June 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Monica and I eat paleo, so pizza is pretty much a no-go. But we do have cheat days on occasion…

-Sam @ Savage Race

22 Sally Kate June 30, 2011 at 12:06 am

i’m OBSESSED with roasted cauliflower so i can only imagine how much i’d love pizza with it on there!!!
Sally Kate recently posted..this guy in my chemistry lab

23 kelly June 30, 2011 at 6:36 am

I love Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza!!!! The eggplant is my favorite. Every time I fly into Orlando we head to Millenia for some shopping and always eat at Anthony’s…good choice for free food!

24 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 30, 2011 at 6:38 am

I love their wings!! The meatball looks really good too!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Anthonyโ€™s Pizzeria: Love at first slice

25 Emily @ Life on Food June 30, 2011 at 6:43 am

That pizza looks amazing. I am going to Orlando in September and this just got added to my list of dinner options.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

26 Lauren June 30, 2011 at 7:03 am

LOVE the idea of doing a Tweet Up! This could be a fantastic idea for so many companies to help get the word out and to utilize their social media avenues.
Lauren recently posted..Do Onto Othersโ€ฆ.

27 Hillary June 30, 2011 at 7:19 am

Mmmm, I love Anthony’s; I make my grandma take me there every time I visit her in Florida! Looks delicious…and fun!
Hillary recently posted..The Early Bird Hits Snooze

28 Hope June 30, 2011 at 8:14 am

I love Anthony’s! I’ve only been there once! I really want to get back to try more of their pizza’s and the meatballs! The tweet-up looks like such an awesome time! I hope they have an event like that at the Anthony’s near me! Congrats on winning prizes! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Box Full Of Goodies!โ€ฆ

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 30, 2011 at 8:35 am

Oooh is that sweet treat Trader Joes soft peanut brittle? YUM!

30 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Yes it is! Good eye!

31 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

I want to go to a tweet up one of these days. …but I don’t have a phone so the place would have to have wi-fi

32 Mac June 30, 2011 at 9:27 am

That sounds like so much fun! I have never heard of a Tweet Up, news to me lol

33 Biz June 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love your idea of adding a marinara dipping sauce for the roasted cauliflower pizza – I may steel it! ๐Ÿ˜€
Biz recently posted..I love packages (thatโ€™s what she said!)

34 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I love the dress you’re wearing, Meghann! Where’d you get it?
Congrats on your first tweet-up! Looks like it was a blast.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..10 miles, and my legs didn’t fall off.

35 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thanks! Forever 21 a couple of weeks ago

36 Stephanie June 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I might just have to fly to Florida just to have that pizza, wow it looks sooooo good. I am just about a tad, meaning majorly jealous.
Stephanie recently posted..Not Every Successful Run Means a PR

37 Katie July 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Ah man, I saw the info for this Tweetup and really wanted to get there, but of course I had an appointment I had to be at that evening. Go figure. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for the next Tampa area Tweetup!
Katie recently posted..Feathered Friday