Alarm Clock Fail

by Meghann on June 29, 2011

Gooooodddddd Mooorrrnnninngg!!!

The morning started off late for me. For the second day in a row my alarm clock failed to ring. Not 100% what is up with that, but I updated my phone software and all the apps. Hopefully that helps!

Luckily Derek’s clock acts as a great back up – it’s just a back up that rings an hour after mine is suppose to. What’s an hour in the grand scheme of things anyways?

I made it to the pool right when the kid’s swimming lessons were starting and managed to find a lane to share with a fellow swimmer. She had an ironman tattoo on her ankle and I instantly felt intimidated. Luckily, she was really friendly and even talked to me between sets on what to expect with Augusta in September.

I had to keep my swim short because of time, but was very proud of myself for some what designing my own swim workout.

Warm Up

• 250 yds

Main Set

• 2 x 100 @ 2:15
  • 2 x 200 @ 4:30
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:15

Cool Down

• 100 yds

I think I’m getting used to this whole swimming thing.

After the pool I headed to the weights for NROLFW 1A – my LAST workout of the set! Woop! Woop!

There’s a special set next week to officially end stage 1, but after I finish that I’ll do an official wrap up post for the first stage. I have lots of thoughts to share and I’m interested to see how my number compare to where I started.

Protein packed smoothies are the perfect post-workout recovery fuel.

In the blender

• Silken Tofu <– what makes the smoothy extra creamy
  • Frozen Cherries <– my current favorite frozen fruit
  • Milk < —– 1% cow’s milk
  • Chia Seeds <– for the omega 3s
  • Xanthum Gum <– can find at local health stores. thickens the smoothie up
  • Chocolate Whey Protein Powder <— Whole Foods brand

On top

• Kashi Golden Goodness < — granola substitute

Enjoyed with a spoon.

I love the mix of chocolate and cherries which is strange because I don’t like chocolate covered cherries.

Random question: What’s your favorite chocolate covered fruit? I’m old fashion – Chocolate Covered Strawberries never go out of style. πŸ˜‰

1 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife June 29, 2011 at 10:22 am

My favorite chocolate covered fruit would be peanut butter. (not such a big fan of the fruit and chocolate. If you made me answer I’d also say strawberries.)

2 Alex June 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Ha! Best answer ever πŸ™‚
Alex recently posted..Koreatown

3 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Agreed πŸ™‚

4 Hillary June 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

Bananas, pineapple, apples, strawberries. If it’s covered in chocolate, I am not picky!
Hillary recently posted..Reader’s Request: What The Heck To Do With Oats

5 Sarah June 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

Chocolate covered strawberries are pretty excellent. I’d either have to go with the strawberries or pineapple! Chocolate covered pineapple is soo good!
Sarah recently posted..A Mission a Mile

6 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life June 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love chocolate covered strawberries, bananas, and dark cherries. OMGoodness now I want some!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Welcome To The Most Random Blog Post. EVER.

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yep, strawberries for me too! I’m not a chocolate covered cherries kinda gal either. Bananas are a close 2nd favourite!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 63

8 michelle June 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

I agree with the chocolate covered strawberries. So good.

I’m curious to see what your results are too for the weight lifting. A lot of bloggers are following that program from what I can tell.
michelle recently posted..Revisiting the FIRST Training Program / Running Goals

9 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 29, 2011 at 10:33 am

Chocolate covered strawberries are definitely foodgasmic…. I like the idea of a chocolate covered blueberry, but never had one. Then again, I’m a big fan of chocolate raisins so I’m sure it can’t be too different!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Mez in Durham and a BEER REVIEW!

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

I agree, chocolate strawbs are my go-to. Sooo good. Especially, dark chocolate. Excited to hear your thoughts on stage 1. I’m 4 workouts away from completing the stage right now.

11 Laura June 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever had a chocolate covered fruit (gasp!).

Also wanted to let you know the you inspired me and I’m reading NROLFW now. Can’t wait to get started!
Laura recently posted..25 While I’m 25 – Update

12 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

That’s like my sister saying she doesn’t like fruit in her cereal (gasp!) It’s unfathomable!

13 Whitney June 29, 2011 at 10:44 am

I own a chocolate shop. We did a fruit platter for a birthday kiwis , oranges, raspberries, etc. It was delicious! For fathers day we did chocolate covered bacon and potato chips! Crazy but awesome.

14 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I <3 chocolate potato chips. Maybe I should have a chocolate covered platter for my next birthday πŸ™‚

15 Ashley @ the fit academic June 29, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’d def have to say the norm: choco-covered strawberries! Delish!
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..When Fun turns to Fabulous!

16 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 29, 2011 at 10:55 am

I love all of Harry and David’s chocolate covered fruits. Chocolate cherry cordials – the ones with the gooey drippy center – are just jacknasty though!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Raw Balsamic Zucchini β€œPickles”

17 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Agreed. Disgusting.

18 Jessie June 29, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m about one week behind you in NROLFW so I can’t wait to hear about your experience with the program! So far I really like it, but I can’t wait to move on from this first level!

19 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 29, 2011 at 10:58 am

You’re asking me to pick my FAVORITE chocolate covered fruit? Unfair. But…dried pineapple.

20 Courtney June 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

STRAWBERRIES! yumyumyum πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..The Dessert Cart

21 Kristie June 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

definitely chocolate covered cherries and strawberries are my fav, but if it’s covered in chocolate I will eat it! -Kristie

22 Hope June 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

I love chocolate covered strawberries! πŸ™‚ Is there anything better than that?

23 Hilary June 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Mmm…quite the smoothie! Of course, I love anything (fruit or otherwise) covered in chocolate….if I HAD to pick a favourite, it would be the old-school, childhood fav: chocolate-covered frozen banana! YUMM!
Hilary recently posted..Fresh plus Frozen

24 Bridget June 29, 2011 at 11:03 am

I just finished my last A workout too! The only thing I didn’t do was take before pictures…how silly of me! I noticed though that when I dropped to 8 reps, I still couldn’t lift more weight. Like Shoulder Presses-I’m stalled!
Bridget recently posted..I’m back in black

25 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I was stalled on the Shoulder presses too! I wasn’t sure if i took on too much weight too fast or what.

26 Lindsey June 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

For Easter my Mom bought me a bag of chocolate covered blueberries and acai berries, I am still working my way through the bag and they are so yummy!

I haven’t tried the silken tofu in my smoothies yet! I am thinking I should though!

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

I agree… chocolate covered strawberries are sooo yummy!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..NYC-Bound

28 Taylor June 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

Chocolate covered strawberries aren’t just my favorite chocolate covered fruit, they’re one of my favorite foods period! πŸ™‚

29 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Agreed. There is nothing better!

30 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 29, 2011 at 11:29 am

I don’t like chocolate covered cherries either – but I love chocolate covered pomagranate seeds. SO GOOD.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Confession Wednesday: I’m Bossy

31 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Chocolate covered Pom seeds? Where did you find those?!

32 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

I had almost the same smoothie yesterday! I wasn’t a huge fan of tofu in the smoothie, which is weird because I looove tofu!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eating Bird Food

33 Meghann June 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I like the tofu because it makes the smoothie creamy, but i guess to each their own!

34 Krissie J June 29, 2011 at 11:42 am

Chocolate covered strawbs are my all-time favorite as well. I’d like to try chocolate covered pomegranate though.
Krissie J recently posted..Travel Like a Local

35 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 29, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love Harry and David’s chocolate covered cherries. Yum!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in: pea pesto

36 Courtney June 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered bananas = yum! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Strong Muscles = Healthy Person

37 Lauren June 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Anything dipped in chocolate can be a good thing. πŸ™‚ Favorite would have to be dried apricots though.
Lauren recently posted..On My Playlist

38 Lindsey@ Textbooks and Cookbooks June 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Chocolate covered strawberries and bananas! They are delicious in chocolate fro yo too! πŸ™‚
Lindsey@ Textbooks and Cookbooks recently posted..Non-Stop Travel

39 Katherine June 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Chocolate covered pineapple!!!! Soooo good!

40 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Alarm clock fail πŸ™ Unfortunately, I don’t really care for chocolate covered fruit. Maybe I’ll grow into it some day.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Saving Money

41 Ali @ Ali Runs June 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I always set at least 4 different alarms on my phone when I need to get up and be somewhere. It is pretty ridiculous that it usually takes that long to wake me up.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Running Quotes

42 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Strawberries! Oh SO good with chocolate πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Backstroke

43 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh man, my alarm failing to ring in the am is one of my worst nightmares! I actually set two alarms because I’m worried I’ll sleep through one or it won’t ring on time..
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Transformers and a dinner date

44 Carissa June 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Who can resist chocolate covered strawberries! They’re a dream! Provided the strawberry on the inside is delish too!
Carissa recently posted..Red, White, and Blueberry Salad

45 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I have 4 alarm clocks set most nights, because I have a super hard time waking up and because I am paranoid about alarm clock failure (funny, that great Seinfeld episode was on last night — the marathoner who overslept for the Olympics and then overslept for the NYC marathon. Classic!).

I have two digital alarm clocks, one battery operated one, and my cell phone. I’m sure my neighbors love me πŸ˜‰

Also, chocolate covered strawberries FTW! I have a great memory of chowing down on a HUGE tray of them after a friend’s wedding. The bridal party was among the last to leave, and at the end of the night we collapsed one the floor with our shoes off, our dresses hiked up, and strawberry juice on our chins. Yum!
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Shut up and drive

46 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Lately I’ve been loving the chocolate covered frozen banana bites from Trader Joe’s.
Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Food and Workout Recap

47 Sami June 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm

i will forever love chocolate covered bananas. probably because they remind me of the boardwalk at the beach as a kid πŸ™‚

xo.
Sami recently posted..Eat. Think. Smile. Winner!

48 Sara June 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I hate when my alarm clock fails, it seriously ruins my whole day when I wake up late.

My favorite chocolate covered fruit would have to be a tie! Between strawberries and bananas, both are so good!

49 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) June 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm

My alarm clock fails usually include me hitting the snooze button so many times my alarm just turns off. Oops!

When are we going to get a before and after flexing pic for NROLFW? I’d love to see your results so far!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Wine & Dine Wednesday: Week 2

50 Meghann June 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

I have before photos up here http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/27/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-plan/ and I have a checkin photo here http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/06/08/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-check-up/ I plan to do another update after I complete stage 1 next week. πŸ™‚