Story Time

by Meghann on June 28, 2011

I like stories.

I like listening to stories, I like telling stories, and I like reading stories.

Maybe that’s why I prefer watching tv when I’m on the treadmill, listening to audiobooks on runs, and exercising with friends. Stories keep me distracted and interested. Doesn’t get much better than that. πŸ˜‰

I especially like it when spinning instructors tell stories. Sure, good music is a plus, but getting to know the instructor is even better.

My spinning instructor today was a big story teller. My favorite story of his? The price of dance lessons versus a four year degree. Apparently paying off dance classes, recitals, costumes, hair, travel, etc is equivalent to a college degree over the course of the ‘princess’ years. He made me laugh, allowing the class to fly by. πŸ™‚

The 60 minute spin class and 20 minute run were on par with my Augusta Training Plan. My upper body is sore from TRX training last night, but my legs were still feeling good.

After the spin and run I dug into my pre-prepared batch of Overnight Oats in a Jar.

In the mix

• 1/2 cup rolled Oats
  • Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Last bit of Almond Butter
  • Raisins
  • Cinnamon
  • Chia Seeds

On top

• Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Granola

Side note: The Trader Joe’s Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseed wasn’t my favorite jar of nut butter ever. It didn’t mix well and was very dry. Eh.

Gotta love those layers. πŸ™‚

1 Kara June 28, 2011 at 10:37 am

That’s why I love running with chatty people! There is nothing more fun that listening to a long story during a long run πŸ™‚

Usually if I’m running with someone slower, I’m the one nattering on and on, usually about the baby or the dog!
Kara recently posted..Tuesday Confessions

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

I agree 110%. I work out, slash WORK, a million times better when I am listening to a story! Music is kind of distracting, but if someone is telling me a story somehow I focus a million times better!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Glammed-Up Guac: Avocado Tapenade

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

That AB is my favorite, I never had problems with it being too dry. Did you mix it up real well when you first opened it? It takes me a good 5 minutes to mix (good arm workout) but then it stays nice and creamy for me. Love that stuff!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Salty & Sour

4 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I tried to mix it up, but I could never get the hang of it. Maybe the almond butter is just too work for my impatient ways?

5 michelle June 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

I zone out when I am working out so music works best for me. I have gone running with people before and have been asked a question and have no idea what they asked me because I’m just in the zone.
michelle recently posted..Marathon β€œRecovery” Week

6 Lindsey June 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

I like being the storyteller πŸ˜‰

7 Lindsey June 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

My spin teacher is so chatty! I love it though, it distracts me from any pain and makes the time fly by!
Lindsey recently posted..Phytochemical, say what!?

8 Hillary June 28, 2011 at 10:48 am

Your spin instructor is telling the truth! I danced for 14 years, and it cost a LOT of money. I still don’t know how my parents put up with writing those checks every month!
Hillary recently posted..Kitchen Sink Deliciousness

9 Wymberley June 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

I love a good story by an instructor. I wish I got to go to classes more often!

my oats were very tasty with my Walmart creamy PB and cinnamon O’s on top. I swear Walmart PB is the best!!
Wymberley recently posted..Ive been neglecting you, blog

10 Ashley @ the fit academic June 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

That spin instructor sounds awesome! Thanks for the mini AB review! I was looking at it thinking I should try some of that, but its good to know then that it wasn’t too great.
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..When Fun turns to Fabulous!

11 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

I have Sirius Satellite radio on my iphone, and love listening to it while running.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..It’s a quart of coffee kind of day.

12 kalli June 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

i love riding my bike with friends because all the sharing of stories and such makes the time fly by. yesterday i rode a tough 32 miles and without my friend yesterday it would have been terrible. have a great day!
kalli recently posted..32 but felt like 50

13 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) June 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’ve never thought of listening to a audio book while running. Good idea!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Off to a Rough Start

14 Natalie @ Adventures in Jackson June 28, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love stories too! “The Nanny Diaries” book on tape is a good one to run to and Julia Roberts is the voice!

15 Sarah June 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

I remember your post about listening to the nanny returns while running and still haven’t tried this but I think it is a great idea! Cold oats after a hot workout? yumm!! Breakfast looks great!

16 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 28, 2011 at 11:33 am

That spin instructor sounds like so much fun! I love it when they tell stories πŸ™‚
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Cakes and a Circuit

17 Laura June 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

I’ve been thinking about working out to audio books. Probably not when I run outside, but maybe during the endless hours of cardio machines. I just need to get my computer up to date so I can actually download them πŸ™‚
Laura recently posted..Back to the Gym

18 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles June 28, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve been listening to audiobooks while I jog as well! I just figured that out a few weeks ago and have enjoyed exercising so much more. Currently I am on the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn…free download from the public library.
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles recently posted..Ten Tips for a Restful Stay-Cation

19 Elle June 28, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’ve started listening to audiobooks while I run as well. I’m currently listening to the first book in the Pretty Little Liars series…the narrator is a little annoying though. I also like listening to the Jillian Michaels podcast!
Elle recently posted..Menu Monday

20 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 28, 2011 at 11:47 am

haha! I love the term princess years πŸ˜›

So glad you had such a great workout and I hope you have a wonderful day! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Feels Good to be Home Again

21 Charli [charlisquest] June 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

I see that your Almond Butter is from Trader Joes. Do they have one in Tampa? I wish we had one here in Orlando.
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..Phewww

22 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

They don’t have one in Tampa. I have friends that are usually happy to send Trader Joe packages. πŸ™‚

23 The Teenage Taste June 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm

OOIAJ is the best! The PERFECT post-workout breakfast too! Yum!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Vinsaya Yoga & Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I had OIAJ this morning too! I love waking up to breakfast πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Larabars!

25 Heather June 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

haha. I love that. Spin Instructor for the win!

I am also a BIG fan of stories. I’m a little bit obsessed, truly. When I am getting to know a new friend, I usually ask… “So, what’s your story, new friend?” and I ask my boyfriend to tell me a story just about every other day. [let’s see how long that lasts before he tells me to get over it πŸ˜‰ ]
Heather recently posted..Five Favorite Posts of 2011 [Thus Far]

26 Anne June 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

That’s the only AB I’ve ever tried! I’m glad you said it’s not good because I hated it! Which one is the best??

27 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

My favorite is the Whole Foods brand! Try it!

28 jamie@everydaydolce June 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yes, I love spin instructors who engage you and tell stories, it does make time go by so much faster (and tends to make the time more enjoyable :))
Love your breakfast…that looks so perfect for a summer morning!
jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..Today in the kitchen…

29 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I really need to try OOIAJ, that looks too pretty for words!! My dog is going to be a little sad though, usually I let her lick the empty PB jars. Doggy heaven!

I’m going to try working out to an audiobook sometime soon. It seems convenient, because I have SO many books waiting to be read and never enough hours in the day…but I do worry a bit about my tendency to zone out during a walk/run. Sometimes my brain just likes to spin a little bit. I guess I’ll start out with something that isn’t super dense…no Jonathan Franzen, probably πŸ™‚
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Shut up and drive

30 mel June 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

My doggies lick the jar after my Overnight oats! There is still some pb and yogurt left on the sides and they go crazy!!

31 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’m with Mel – I still let Maddie lick the jar when I’m done.

32 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Sounds like a good idea — I’ll let Audrey lick the overnight oats jar…if I haven’t licked it clean first πŸ™‚
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Shut up and drive

33 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’ve done just about every class at the gym EXCEPT for Spin. I really need to try it, don’t I? I love getting my butt kicked, so I’m thinking it would be a good one for me. I hope I get an instructor as good as yours.
Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Camping

34 Margo @ peanut butter trees June 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Sounds like a really good workout followed by some tasty oats – I have yet to try overnight oats but keep reading about them. Seems like you can do a lot with them depending on the mix.
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Tough night

35 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I have become quite the chatty runner, which I am surprised about. I love a good distraction during my long runs. I don’t like chatter during spin though. You would love my Saturday spin teacher – she drives me NUTS!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Terrible Twos

36 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Ha! I love talkers! I think that’s probably why I loved Kelly from Orlando Power Yoga so much – she’s a great talker!

37 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

That spinning instructor sounds like a funny guy πŸ˜€
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Taste-test : Balsamic Vinegar

38 Anne June 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Do you ever listen to This American Life from WBEZ (broadcasted from Chicago). Most local NPR affiliates air it at some point during the week. You would LOVE it.

39 Sarah K June 29, 2011 at 12:02 am

hahah I can definitely say that over the 15 or so years that I spent taking dance classes and performing there was probably a large portion of my current tuition I could have paid off instead of taking out loans like I am now, but I’d still say it was all worth it.
Sarah K recently posted..Question: