Monday Swim Date

by Meghann on June 27, 2011

Happy Monday!!

Catching up from the weekend?

Let’s see, this weekend I….

What did you do?

Back to the work week. Back to training.

This morning’s plan called for a swim, but I had some bad news when I got up – my goggles and swim cap were still safe and sound on my parents’ kitchen table back in Titusville. Dratz.

Lucky for me, I had a swim date with a swimming fanatic, who just so happened to have plenty of extra swim caps and goggles lying around. Score!

Just another reason why I <3 training friends!

With the borrowed swim cap and goggles (which was better gear then the stuff I own anyways) in hand, Courtney and I hit the pool for a fun pace based work out. πŸ™‚

Warm Up

• 250 Easy

Main Set

Pace

• 4 x 50 @1:10 (w/ goal of holding 1:00 minute pace)
  • 200 @4:00
  • Repeat twice

1-2-3

• 50 Easy
  • 50 Medium
  • 50 Fast
  • Repeat Three times

Cool Down

• 100 Easy

I use the term ‘fun’ loosely because apparently I have a bad habit of making a face when ever Courtney start’s rattling off sets. I need to learn to fix that. πŸ˜‰

I promise once we got in the water it was fun! πŸ™‚ Courtney is working with my on gauging paces and trying to figure out where my comfort zone is. My goal in the pace set was the hold 50 @ 1:00 x 4 with minimal rest, then I had to hold the same pace I did at 50 for 200. I was about 4 secs off each time, but I’m working on it.

My favorite set of the morning was the 3-2-1 set where we built up the speed on the 50s. It reminded me of a good track or treadmill workout. I felt confident going all out on the fast set because an easy one immediately followed.

After our swim, I did a quick change and headed to the free weights for NROLFW 1B. As I get deeper into training, I’m discovered three days of strength training is getting tough. Looks like I may be switching to just two days a week for the remainder of HIM training.

Breakfast

Once back home, I made a big bowl of cereal to calm my growling belly.

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/4 cup Back to Nature Granola
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries

Berries. Berries. Berries. πŸ™‚

Time to work!

Did you know the Fourth of July is NEXT Monday?!?! Man, time flies!

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

I know!! I can’t believe that JUNE is almost OVER! Before I know it, I’ll be back to school and then it’ll be Christmas again πŸ™
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Everyday Pancakes

2 kalli June 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

time is flying for sure! great swim this morning……and i am in love with strawberries too right now πŸ™‚
kalli recently posted..To Enjoy

3 Sarah June 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

I can’t believe July is right around the corner either.. it’s nuts! This summer is flying and it makes me sad πŸ™ I think I might incorporate a swim workout into my workout routine this week. I don’t know any fancy strokes at all but I think I’ve got breast stroke and free style down well enough to get a good workout out of it.
Sarah recently posted..Stuck in a Rut..

4 Ali June 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love reading about your monday swim workouts and the way you explain them. Makes swimming newbies, like myself understand πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..Weekend in Pittsburgh

5 Meghann June 27, 2011 at 11:18 am

haha – glad you like them. My goal is to not go over people’s head. πŸ™‚

6 Mary June 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

This summer is flying so quickly, I havent even been to the beach yet!
Mary recently posted..Battle of the Bulge

7 michelle June 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

It is absolutely crazy how fast this year has gone by so far! Everytime I look at the calendar I can’t believe that it is almost July
michelle recently posted..Marathon β€œRecovery” Week

8 Fit Chick Britt June 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

LOL about your making faces when she goes through the sets. You’re rockin the HIM training!!

9 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

I can totally relate to making faces at sets. It was terrible in high school when the coach would rattle of our 6000+ yd set and I’d just sit there and ask myself why I was on the swim team. But the training definitely pays off in the race – so cheers to you πŸ™‚
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

Woohoo for long weekends! Ours actually starts on Friday (Canada Day) and we don’t get the 4th but I’m still pumped! This past weekend was good, but I’m really looking forward to seeing some of my besties that I haven’t seen in months on Thursday night. Have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The weekend in (mostly) pictures

11 Rae June 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

Lifting is super hard during long distance tri training, but remember you get a decent upper body and core workout swimming and a great lower body workout by biking! During my trainnig, I try to focus on the body parts I dont hit, like glutes and some of the uppers, then do more post season, bc if you do too much, your muscles wont be ready for the key tri workouts!
Rae recently posted..Ironbike Weekend!

12 Stephanie June 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

i really have to start mixing cereals, that looks amazing
Stephanie recently posted..Dance Party

13 Christie June 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

Those red berries look amazing! I need more of them in my life!

14 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

Throw some blueberries in your breakfast and it would’ve been a week early, and all dressed up!!

I’m so stoked for this weekend, even though the only swimming I’ll be doing is in the ocean! (and definitely not with a cap and goggles on… at least that’s the plan.)
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Shoveler vs. Scraper

15 Shannon June 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Sounds like a great swim! I love going straight from swimming to lifting. It makes my arms feel so strong
Shannon recently posted..Baltimore Women’s Classic 5K Race Recap

16 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I bet all your swimming is also contributing to building muscle strength. You’re going to be lean and mean in the end of all this!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Sweet!

17 Alyssa June 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Mmm. I’m a huge fan of cereal/fruit/yogurt bowls. I made a kiwi/blueberry/ yogurt with oats combo this morning…but anyways..do you find you have a better workout if you eat breakfast before or after you work out?

18 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 10:10 am

I have a vetter workout if I eat breakfast after because then I don’t feel it swishing around in my stomach.

19 Lauren Clarke June 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I started swimming before work in March expecting it to last a week or so but I haven’t missed a day since. I’ve found that breakfast after the swim is the best meal of the day.
Lauren Clarke recently posted..Nespresso C101 Essenza Espresso Machine

20 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

it doesn’t seem possible that it’s next week. I have zilcho planned.

21 Cait @ Urban Fencepost June 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Seriously, where the heck did June go??!
Cait @ Urban Fencepost recently posted..Weekend Whirlwind

22 Alex June 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm

That bowl looks delicious! Berries galore πŸ™‚
Alex recently posted..Monday I’m in Love- Action Bunny

23 Margo @ peanut butter trees June 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Those berries look so delicious! And that sounds like such a great workout. I have yet to add swimming into my cardio routine, but maybe now is the time.
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Sunday Super Funday

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I can’t believe the 4th of July is so soon! Once it’s over, the rest of the summer flies by πŸ™
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Cook By the Book

25 Caroline Calcote June 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I know…I can’t believe June is almost over! We’ve really been enjoying this summer and I feel like my kids will be going back to school in no time. But we still have lots of fun stuff planned, so I need to stop thinking it away and just enjoy it.

26 Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. June 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Seriously!! Where does the time go? June FLEW by!

27 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Your breakfast looks so delicious!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..I *HEART* June!

28 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

You make me want to start swimming again πŸ™‚

Your workout sounds fun and your breakfast looked delicious.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..I ate the whole thing

29 LauraJayne June 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love the idea of putting cheerios and shredded wheat in oatmeal! I’ve got to try that!

30 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Sad that June is almost over, but I’ve tried to make the most of it and have had plans every single weekend, including lots of long runs! Hooray for the 4th of July and the 3-day weekend that comes with it.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..10 miles, and my legs didn’t fall off.

31 Chelsea June 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Your breakfast looks delicious!!! I’m craving cereal now!! But, you’re right. Where does the time go? Wasn’t it just Easter like, 2 weeks ago?
Chelsea recently posted..a cakey catastrophe.

32 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles June 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I am so impressed that you got so much done this morning before work. That swim work out is nothing to laugh about. You are a rock star.
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles recently posted..Ten Tips for a Restful Stay-Cation

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I cannot BELIEVE it’s next week! I realized it the other day and I was shocked!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Posts I love… Last Week

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 27, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I can totally relate to dropping down to 2 days a week. I’m NOT training for anything and just with running and 3 days of nrolfw I find myself pretty sore for at least 1 or 2 runs a week. I can’t imagine what it would be like with your plan!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..First day at the lake

35 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Your food always looks so GOOD. I am so ready for the fourth of July!! It is actually one of the greatest holidays out there.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..As we go on, we remember….

36 Charli [charlisquest] June 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I NEVER should have mentioned the A/C issue you had. I now have one as well that could possibly cost me over $1000. Bad juju, I will never speak of air conditioners again!
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..update

37 Meghann June 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

eekkkkk…… looks like ac problems are popping up everywhere right now. Maybe it’s because it’s that time of year where people are actually using their acs?

38 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Hello awesome swim idea for workouts. Nicely done πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Weight For It

39 Katherine June 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Sounds like an amazing workout! I really wish I could have done it!