more ยป" />

The Lucky’s Lake Crew

by Meghann on June 25, 2011

Triathlon training has it’s perks. Making friends that you have the pleasure of seeing on a somewhere weekly basis is one of them.

Meet the unofficially ‘Lucky’s Lake Crew’

Eric, Rachel, Ben, Amber, Kelly, Me, and KatyWe’re all training for our own races. We’re all at our own pace. And we all have our own goals. But that doesn’t stop us from meeting every other Saturday to support each other as we swim across the lake and back. It’s that kind of support that really gets me moving in the morning. Nothing like a group of friendly cheerleaders to keep you motivated. :

My little brother and I were up early this morning to meet the crew at Lucky’s Lake before 8:00. I made a bagel thin with honey peanut butter, apple slices and granola before we left, but could only stomach half of it. For some reason my body didn’t want to eat.

Ben drove us the hour to the lake and we met up just in time to play catch up before the swim began.

Not going to lie – I was the last swimmer (from our crew) across the lake each way.

The competitive person inside me hated this. It was saying ‘you’ve been working so hard! you should be faster!’ And for a minute I’d listen to that voice in my head and succomb to feeling inadequate. But, then a group of smiles, laughter, and friendly faces greeted me. No one gave the slightest peep of who was faster or slower and frankly, I’m not sure anyone was even paying attention or cared. Their easy nature reminded me that this wasn’t a race. We were all there to swim – no matter how fast or slow – and we were all there for ourselves, no one else. We were each other’s support system – I liked that.

I joined the girls for another half out and half back and spent the majority of time talking with the group rather than swimming. Best part of the swim if you ask me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, and good news! The belly button stayed in! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ben and I said our goodbyes and headed to Whole Foods for a post-swim breakfast.

Thankfully, my stomach was now ready to eat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A yucca roll from the bakery

And some tofu scramble and potatoes from the hot bar.

Rock Shrimp

I didn’t realize Rock Shrimp was a local thing until so many of you started asking questions about it in last night’s post.

Here’s an in depth explanation into the history of rock shrimp but basically it’s a ‘trash shrimp’ that they used to throw out because it was tough to open and eat – it has a similar texture of a lobster tail. Then one day, someone in Titusville discovered how to open it, cook it, and made a restaurant around it. Rock shrimp then became a Titusville delicacy. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like to order mine steamed with cocktail sauce, but you can get them broiled or fried too.

1 Amy June 25, 2011 at 11:34 am

Hey Meghann!
I train with Courtney and she recently told me about your blog. Every so often I click and read through your posts, which are fantastic and really entertaining btw! But this morning when I opened I see you were at Lucky’s Lake…today was my first day swimming there! Such a good time is right! And it’s always great to have motivating friends out there with ya. =)
~Amy

2 Amber June 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

Girl you rocked it!! & I have to agree we have an awesome support system and great group of freinds! I look forward to this every time! There is nothing better than waking up super early and getting to spend quality time with great friends laughing and chit chatting. I<3 Lucky Lake swims and swimming it with you guys! ๐Ÿ™‚ An amazing post.

3 Carissa June 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

Thanks for the rock shrimp explanation! I looked more like crawfish to me! Kudos on swimming Lucky’s…that place scares me to death! As does any body of water! ๐Ÿ™
Carissa recently posted..Running and online shopping

4 Sana June 25, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yay! Who cares if you are last with friends, but with strangers it is ON!
Sana recently posted..Smoothie In A Bowl: SIAB

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

I was wondering about those rock shrimp too. I thought they looked like mini lobsters. Interesting!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Strawberry ginger sauce

6 Mary June 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

Glad you didn’t let the competitive monster get you this morning! Just have fun, and you’ll have plenty of time to be competitive for you HIM in september!
Mary recently posted..Lazy Saturday

7 Hillary June 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

What an awesome support team! Good for you guys pushing and supporting each other.

8 Jenny June 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Are those real alligators on the little beach?? I’ve been in Florida for over 10 years now and alligators still freak me out! Ya’ll are brave!!!
Jenny recently posted..Week 2 and a fun brunch!

9 Victoria June 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I was wondering the same thing! Oh my God!
Victoria recently posted..Four Years

10 Monika June 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I’ve never tried rock shrimp before.. but it kinda reminds me of monkfish if it’s psuedo-lobster!
Monika recently posted..Oh the weather outside is weather..

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I’m crazy competitive too, and sometimes it’s nice to just remind yourself that it’s not the end of the world not to be the best at everything! Thanks for the reminder.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..day in the life of charlie

12 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes June 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Excuse me, but is that a real alligator? I’m nervous for you all the way from Connecticut! And don’t sweat the swim…you’ve been doing awesome!
Happy Saturday!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Hair Gods!

13 Sarah June 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks for the rock shrimp explanation I had no idea what it was!
Sarah recently posted..Stuck in a Rut..

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm

WOOT! What a cool thing to do on a Saturday morning. SO impressed ๐Ÿ™‚

15 My Traveling Troop June 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Kudos to you for training for a triathlon! I’d love to try one someday. In the meantime, I will stick to running and try to find rock shrimp to treat myself with because that picture looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

16 Jane June 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

You are so lucky (no pun intended) to have such a great spot for you to train. Been following your blog for a while, really enjoy reading and following along!

17 Ashley @ the fit academic June 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm

awww, the swim sounds like so much fun! I’d lie if I said I wasn’t jealous! I lived in Florida for a couple years and now I’m in the dessert (Arizona) and missing the beach (and my Florida friends) something fierce this summer!!!! Glad that you’re taking advantage and able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: friends + fitness! : )

18 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I am so jealous of your open water swims. They look so fun!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Changes for summer

19 Ashley June 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I’ve never heard of rock shrimp. They do look like little lobster tails.
Ashley recently posted..Dreaming of Peaches

20 Erica June 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm

What a fun group activity! I grew up on swim team- I really need to get back in the water. And that yucca roll looks yummy. Hope your weekend is treating you well ๐Ÿ™‚
Erica recently posted..Baked Italian Turkey Meatballs

21 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Don’t be hard on yourself about swimming! The great thing about tri’s is that everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses. So glad it’s such a supportive bunch, what fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great rest of your weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Conflicted over Chicago

22 Biz June 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm

That shrimp looks interesting – don’t have that up here in the midwest, but they do look like baby lobsters! ๐Ÿ˜€

Great job on the swim!
Biz recently posted..I got my 10%!

23 Megan June 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I love reading about your swims in Lucky’s Lake. You will definitely get stronger as you continue your swimming.

Question: in the picture with the dock, is that a gator? (!)

Hopefully the next time I’m in Orlando I will be able to head over for a swim.
Megan recently posted..Philadelphia International Championship

24 Holly June 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That’s so great that you have such a big crew to swim with!
Holly recently posted..Twin Cities Jazz Festival

25 Amanda June 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Congrats on your swim! Your motivation really inspires me.
Amanda recently posted..Happiness is a choice.

26 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) June 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Looks like fun!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Week in Review

27 Ali @ Ali Runs June 27, 2011 at 8:24 am

How amazing that you have such a supportive group of friends and family that are all training for triathlons! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Weekend in Pittsburgh