more ยป" />

My First Clipless Fall

by Meghann on June 24, 2011

It was bound to happen sooner to later. I took my first spill with my clipless pedals this morning.

IMAG0749.jpg

I was doing so good too!

I was up before the sun this morning, had a left over Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bar on my way out the door, and made it to the trail as the lazy sun was peeking over the horizon. On the agenda I had a 90 minute ride followed by a 30 minute run.

The ride was great – I made it through two separate intersections without a problem and got some good practice changing gears on the ‘hills’. It was the end – when I made it back to the car – when I came down. Basically I wasn’t able to stop fast enough and somehow toppled over just before I ran into my car. I’m still not 100% sure how it happened. I promise I had one foot already out the pedal acting as an anchor, but I guess even having one foot out doesn’t mean you’re safe from falling. Luckily, it was a harmless fall that left me laughing more than anything. Who falls a foot from their car? I do apparently. ๐Ÿ™‚

I got up, dusted off, and changed into my running gear. No biggie.

The run was HOT and felt SO slow. Thank goodness it was only 30 minutes – not sure what I’m going to do when I have to bump it up to 60+!

The early start meant I was done with my brick before 9:00am – leaving the rest of my day free. Want to know what encourages me to get so early for morning workouts? Knowing I’ll be done early and have the rest of my day to be lazy. Love that.

Breakfast options were limited (we’re out of smoothie ingredients ๐Ÿ™ ), but I managed with a simple meal of apple slices, peanut butter, and the last piece of Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Bar.

Apple and Peanut Butter

The Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Bars didn’t last long at all. It helps that Derek liked them – I find food goes faster when Derek enjoys eating them too. ๐Ÿ™‚

The AC man should be here soon to see what’s up with our system.

Cross your fingers for us!

1 The Teenage Taste June 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

Ouch. I hate when I fall off my bike. I don’t usually hurt myself but it scares me half to death! Glad to hear you were able to get right back up and continue with your workout…which was awesome by the way!
My fingers are crossed for your AC. It’s wayyyy too hot outside to be without AC!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Blueberry Walnut Muffins

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

At least it wasn’t a hard fall! Good luck with the AC problems!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

3 Kate (This Place is Now a Home) June 24, 2011 at 10:39 am

Doesn’t it feel SO silly to fall off your bike as an adult? When I was learning how to ride clipless my husband forced me to ride around his neighborhood to get a feel for them before we went out on a real ride. I did the SAME thing you did — fell when I was slowing to stop right at his driveway. Doh.

Lucky for me we were both laughing. I fell a few more times, usually when I was slowing to a stop at a light or intersection, which is even MORE embarrassing because people in cars watch you do it!

You are not alone… and there may be a few more falls in your future ๐Ÿ™‚ Now I haven’t been on the bike in nearly 2 years because of being preggo — I wonder if I remember how or if I will have to relearn all over again?
Kate (This Place is Now a Home) recently posted..She Saysโ€ฆ Busy Little Bee

4 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 24, 2011 at 10:39 am

I can’t believe your AC is broken again! That’s just ridiculous!

Falling of a bike and getting hit by a car are by two biggest fears. At least you avoided hitting your car. And thankfully your weren’t hurt!

I wish it wasn’t raining where I am so I could go for a while it’s still early!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..My Favorite

5 Sarah F June 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

This will sound silly but congrats on your first fall! It always seems to happen when you least expect it, so sad no one got to laugh with you this time but I’m so glad you didn’t get hurt!

6 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

Aww I hope you’re ok! I totally fall on my bike all the the time, even when wearing sneakers. I’m such a klutz!
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Veggie Spaghetti!

7 Eric @ IronMoose June 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

Did you fall over to the side in which you had your foot unclipped? You just have to remember to shift your weight over the side of your bike that you unclipped your foot. Most people fall by forgetting they were clipped in or fall over on the side their foot was still clipped in.
Eric @ IronMoose recently posted..Lake Swim- Sugarloaf Mountain Climb- and Helping out a Stranded Rider

8 Meghann June 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I kind of fell down the middle. I managed to get my other foot unclipped just in time to do a nice split down to the ground. I’m really sad no one else was there to watch it.

9 Christine June 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

Man, I don’t know how you workout in the heat (and I’m sure humidity). Anything over 75 drives me into the gym.
Christine recently posted..Interesting- but Flawed- Concept

10 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

Early morning workouts are the best! Glad your fall ended in a laugh

11 michelle June 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

That’s one of my big fears – falling off a bike! After I read about Amanda’s fall (5 miles past empty blog), that really scared me.
michelle recently posted..To Germany We Go – The Kid Question

12 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 24, 2011 at 10:56 am

At least you laughed it off!! I was biking around Penn State once and literally crashed into another biker, flipped over my handlebars, and slammed into the ground. And there were a lot of people around… *embarrassing*
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Are GMOโ€™s Really Evil

13 Shannon June 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

I am terrified to get clip-ins because I am so scared of falling. My boyfriend rides all the time and tells me they really aren’t that scary but I am happy with my bike the way it is right now. I think I might go to clip-ins if I do a half ironman next year though
Shannon recently posted..Almost There

14 Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 24, 2011 at 11:02 am

Gahh sorry to hear that happened! It is rather scary to fall from something your feet are still attached to ๐Ÿ™
I hope setting up the AC system goes nice and smoothly!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..My Intuitive Eating Series- Feel Your Fullness

15 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

Ahh I hope you’re not too scraped up from the fall! I have spin shoes that I use to teach my classes in, but I’ve never been clipped into a real on-the-road bike!! Good luck with the AC!

16 Meghann June 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

no scrapes – just got a little dirty ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

I’m glad you’re alright and were able to laugh it off! And at least now you don’t have to worry about when your first fall will be. It wasn’t so bad. Fingers crossed for working AC soon!

18 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

Good luck with the AC. I’m glad you’re ok after your fall! That’s scary. Have a great Friday ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Thursday Thank You

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

And that is why I am afriad of clipless pedals! Hah. Your b-fast look super yumm!!

20 Kendall (On An Inhale) June 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

i give you so much credit with the AC ! id be going crazzzzzzy. I hope it works out and you cool off soon!
Kendall (On An Inhale) recently posted..Big Changes!

21 Lisa June 24, 2011 at 11:39 am

Sorry about the fall! I think it’s a rite of passage though. ๐Ÿ™‚

I recently got clip in shoes and new pedals. I’ve been practicing and finally commuted this week with my new shoes. The morning went well. Then the afternoon was kind of awful. I had to bike in heavy traffic which was stressful and I almost fell when I struggled to clip out! Then I struggled to get through a busy intersection. UGH It was a disaster!

22 Hillary June 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

A couple of months ago, I was out for a run in my boyfriend’s neighborhood. After three miles, I headed back to his house and completely wiped out less than a hundred feet from his front door. I’m talking deep, bloody gashes on my legs and arms. I walked in the door, and he FREAKED OUT. Oy. Such a klutz!
Hillary recently posted..Pedometer Pressure

23 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers June 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

Well done with truly just getting up and back on the bike again! I remember my first really bad bike fall led to a deep intense fear that lasted several months (I flipped over my handlebars and started pouring blood! Grosser than gross.)

Good luck with your AC, hot tamale!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

24 Hope June 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

Good luck with your AC! Glad you are okay from your fall!
Hope recently posted..The Best Thing You Ever Ateโ€ฆ

25 Mac June 24, 2011 at 11:52 am

The falls that you can laugh at yourself for are the greatest! Glad it was just a minor one!
Mac recently posted..Big Step in the Life of a Foodie

26 Sarah June 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

Well, you did say it was inevitable! At least you had a great pick me up breakfast afterward. Chocolate chip granola bar with pb and apple? That would brighten up my day a little!
Sarah recently posted..Stuck in a Rut..

27 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

ouch! better luck tomorrow!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Goodness Gracious, Granola Gone GaGa.

28 Jamie in Arkansas June 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I fell the first 3 times I rode with clipless pedals. But that was over a year ago and thank goodness, no more accidents! Just remember…if you unclip on the left – lean to the left!!!! I unclipped on the left and leaned to the right! Not good. Also,
get in the habit of always unclipping the same foot first. You’ll get the hang of it!!!

29 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I would be scared to fall with the clip less pedals… Hell, I’m scared to fall riding my bike half the time as it is!

Hope you get your AC fixed ASAP!

30 Holly @ Pink Runner June 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Glad you’re okay!!!!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Rain, Rain Go Away

31 Sana June 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Welcome to my life. I have bruises all over my body from my last bike fall!
Sana recently posted..Running with a twist

32 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm

It’s a rite of passage! Glad you didn’t hurt yourself and you were able to laugh at it.

Being lazy the rest of the day is my motivation for doing my Sunday long runs! We are done by 6:30 and while it’s painful getting up (at 3:45) – it beats the sun (unfortunately not the heat) and I have the rest of the day to eat. ๐Ÿ™‚
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Five for Friday: BIRTHDAY!

33 Mary June 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Glad you weren’t hurt in your fall. My only two falls were in my driveway – getting ready to leave one time and coming back the second time. I can totally relate!!!!! Being clipped in is a challenge. I find myself rehearsing the dismount about half a mile from the end now LOL.

34 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Aw, sorry to hear about your fall! I stepped out of a bus once, started running and fell. Flat on my face if that makes you feel any better ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Personal Training- The Second Workout

35 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm

That’s totally my nightmare with bike riding… I’m always petrified riding in the street because I’m THAT girl who’d end up losing her balance. Happens to everybody though!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..My morning routine

36 Holly June 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Most of my clipless falls and near misses have been within feet of my car- or designated stopping point. For the car now, I’ve gotten good and using the bike rack to stop myself if all else appears to be failing (rack on an suv is just the right height). My most embarrassing fall was at a stop sign in town, I unclipped one foot, but lost my balance the other direction- and fell, right in front of several cars including a police man who wasn’t sure what to do with me. Yeah, I’m a mess.
Hope y’all get the AC fixed once and for all soon!! It’s been brutally hot here in TX and I’m guessing y’all are having similar temps.

37 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Good luck with getting the AC fixed.

I have never tried biking with clips/clipless – I am too uncoordinated and I would definitely fall.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..My favorite breakfast bowl (vegan)

38 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

That oatmeal bar looks rockin’!!!!!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Everybodyโ€™s Working For The Weekend!

39 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’m always so scared of falling off my bike – and I don’t have clips. I took a corner with some gravel to fast a couple years ago and skid out and have been terrified of hills or going fast ever since. I need to get some of that fearlessness I had back as a child installed in me again!
Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble recently posted..Caprese Salad

40 Sarah K June 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Yikes, glad you’re all right.
Sarah K recently posted..Funny Story

41 Lori June 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Your not the only one to fall a foot away from you car – I did it too. My first ride with my clip ins and I was so happy not to have fallen. Was almost back at our truck and I was all clipped out and ready to stop. Ended up having to pedal a few more times to get to the vehicle and I guess my feet clipped right back in. Went to get off, and yup, tipped right over. It was actually really funny!