more ยป" />

Suck it Up and Run

by Meghann on June 23, 2011

My head was full of excuses this afternoon….

1. It’s wayyyyyyy to hot to be running outside
  2. I’m too tired
  3. 6:30 is right at dinner time – I’ll be starving
  4. I don’t know anyone
  5. DId I mention it’s hot?

Skipping out on my planned afternoon track workout almost seemed too easy. I mean, who would care if I missed? No one. Who would notice I was missing? Nada. Who wanted me to stay and rub her belly? Maddie.

Heading to the track after a long day of work just didn’t sound like fun, but I sucked it up and did it anyways. I got dressed, put my running shoes on, and headed to my local Y to meet the team. Yes, skipping out would have been easy, but I’m not known for taking the easy roads in life anyways. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The local track we usually meet at is under construction for the summer, so we had impromptu speed work outs at the soccer fields behind the Y tonight. It was interesting. There was a designated half mile loop we did around the fields and parking lot for a couple of laps, then we did laps of the soccer fields – taking it easy on the short ends and racing the longer sides.

IMAG0747.jpg

I wasn’t kidding when I was talking about the heat. Tonight’s run was HOT. The multiple laps in the sun near killed me and the water bottle I brought was empty before we finished. By the end I was sweaty, dirty, and spent.

IMAG0748.jpg

They say you never regret a workout and it’s true. I’m glad I sucked it up made it out for the run. Worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before I left on the run this afternoon I made a batch of Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Granola Bars.

This was a recipe I had saved in Evernote and for some reason the note it was saved in didn’t contain the original link for the recipe and I can’t remember whose blog it was from. So, I don’t have a link to share. ๐Ÿ™

I’ll let you know if I figure it out. The bars were relatively easy to make and were nice and chewy.

Dinner was just what my body needed after a hot run. An. Ice. Cold. Smoothie.

It’s too hot for anything else at the moment.

In the mix:

• Frozen Pineapple
  • Frozen Mango
  • Milk
  • Xanthum Gum
  • Almond Butter
  • Whole Foods Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
  • Chia Seeds

On top:

• Crumbled Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bar

Our brand new $$$ AC unit is leaking.

We had to shut it off for the night.

I don’t want to talk about it.

๐Ÿ™

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Yikes, SO sorry about the new AC! You had better get a freakin’ awesome refund!!!!

I love that you ‘sucked it up’ and went for it. GO YOU! SO cool ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet that felt totally amazing!

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m pretty sure getting dressed is the hardest part of working out. I make up every excuse in the book for not going, but once I have my workout clothes on it’s harder to talk myself out of it!

Sorry to hear about your AC ๐Ÿ™ What a pain!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

3 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Oh wow those bars look awesome! That’s awful about your AC…I hope it gets fixed soon!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Thursday Thank You

4 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I need to get a running tank like that! Super cute.

Those bars look yummy!! I love Greek yogurt bowls with crumbled bars/granola/whatever + fruit mixed in after hot runs.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..I came for the hotdog

5 michelle June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

No AC? Aww. Sounds horrible.

Nice job on getting your run in. I probably would have bailed.
michelle recently posted..I Want To Tryโ€ฆ a Tri

6 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Good for you! And you’re right, you always feel better AFTER you get through a workout…if only someone could bottle that feeling so we could all take a hit during those I-just-want-to-slack moments.

I’ll try to cook something up in my lab tonight ๐Ÿ˜‰
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Suddenly- this summer

7 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers June 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

They should give you a refund AND money for pain and suffering.

Poor thing, but aren’t you so glad you braved the heat for your run too?! You are clearly too hot to handle.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

8 Holly @ Pink Runner June 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Ok, it might be really hot in your house with no a.c. but you look really cute in that blue tank top!!

9 LC June 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Good for you, for sucking it up and going! Plus, coming home to those granola bars? …yum.

Good luck without your A/C tonight. ๐Ÿ™
LC recently posted..How I Got Such A Fat Ass

10 Shannon June 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I thought about skipping my run tonight but I sucked it up and went out there anyway and had a great workout. So glad I didn’t skip it
Shannon recently posted..Almost There

11 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Good for you for getting out there ๐Ÿ™‚

That smoothie looks like a great way to refuel. So sorry to hear about the AC ๐Ÿ™
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Moving Stress- NaturaStride- and Picky Bar Love

12 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I REALLY don’t know how you run in the heat like that! I see people running at 6 or 7 at night and I want to stop the car and drive them home! Huge kudos to you!

Oh man, I really hope your AC gets fixed. THAT SUCKS.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Workout Guilt- Indochine Chicken &amp Coach Bags

13 Katherine June 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I am sooo sorry about the AC!
And I need to get your suck it up attitude. Badly.
Katherine recently posted..I Love To Dip

14 Sana June 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Sigh, Take a cold shower. and hop into bed.
Sana recently posted..Itโ€™s not me Itโ€™s you

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oh, I hope you find a link to that recipe!

16 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Urgent: Where do you find Xantham gum in the store? ha I really want to add it to my smoothies! Anyone?!
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Are GMOโ€™s Really Evil

17 Dani June 24, 2011 at 11:54 am

It’s usually in the “health foods” section. You could also order it online.

18 stacey June 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm

We had a new AC unit and furnace installed this year and when it came time to turn on the AC, it was leaking. Fortunately, the unit is in our basement, so we were able to let it keep running without worrying about damage. We called the guy back out to fix it and it was a simple solution that was taken care of in about 30 minutes. Hopefully your issue is also a quick fix and you get your AC back ASAP!:)

19 E June 23, 2011 at 11:18 pm

OMG on the new AC! I’d be totally ticked, too…

20 Leigh June 23, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I can attest to how your weather is! I was there earlier this week and it was freaking hot! I don’t mind the heat and humidity (beats the crappy weather we have at home), but that was hot! And I was on the beach, which didn’t cool me down any! I would trade it for snow any day so if you ever want to switch locations let me know! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 23, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oh my god, what a tease! A/C for one day!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

22 skinnyrunner June 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

girl you need to move over to this cooler coast.
skinnyrunner recently posted..Congrats- blondie

23 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

I was on the frisbee fields (in Orlando, not Tampa) at 6 and our weather was beautiful! It was overcast and super breezy… easily shot down 10 degrees in between 6 and 6:30. Wish you could have had that kind of weather for your workout! I hope your A/C gets fixed ASAP!!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

24 Brooke @ Bittersweetb June 24, 2011 at 12:49 am

You’re a saint for dealing with no A/C, I think I probably would have lost it the first night without it!
Brooke @ Bittersweetb recently posted..A Fathers Day Letter

25 Amy @ Amy Starts To Run June 24, 2011 at 2:49 am

Living in Arizona and driving a car with no AC, I totally can feel your pain. But I don’t have to sleep in my car at night and we don’t have humidity, so I’m sending you lots of cooling AC thoughts. Hope the next fix is quick AND cheap!
Amy @ Amy Starts To Run recently posted..Amy Starts to Runโ€ฆ Again

26 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 24, 2011 at 6:34 am

Love the motivation you provide for not skipping workouts. It’s so true that it can be so easy to put it off but you’ll never regret going. I have my fingers crossed that your AC woes end soon!

27 Hillary June 24, 2011 at 7:15 am

I just made myself go for a run this morning! It would have been REALLY easy to hit snooze, but I got my butt out of bed and went for it. I feel better already : )
Hillary recently posted..Pedometer Pressure

28 Lauren June 24, 2011 at 8:17 am

You poor thing! I am so sorry to hear about the AC. ๐Ÿ™
Lauren recently posted..Healthy Contradiction

29 Hope June 24, 2011 at 8:18 am

Oh, no! I’m sorry about the AC! I really hope it gets fixed for good this time! Keep cool, girl!
Hope recently posted..Cupcakes &amp A Trip to Marylandโ€ฆ

30 Christine @ Burning It Off June 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

Sometimes just getting there is harder than the actual workout. Good on you for braving the heat and going (although it’s unfortunate that you weren’t able to cool off afterwards… hope you get that fixed soon)

31 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

Good for you for ‘sucking it up’ and going!! I HATE running when its super hot outside and I find treadmills to be SO boring. So in the summertime, if I am going to run, I have to get up early and do it before work! The hardest part is simply putting my shoes on…. (once they are on, NO excuses!)

32 Cait's Plate June 24, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh me oh my those granola bars look like heaven! Chocolate chips are a must-have for me in a granola bar ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad you were able to suck it up and get your run done. Sometimes putting on your shoes is the hardest part!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Load โ€˜Er Up

33 Monika June 24, 2011 at 9:48 am

As my XC coach said in high school, once you’ve got the shoes on you no longer have an excuse! Great job in rocking out your run!
Monika recently posted..Trick or Treat Tuesday

34 OntarioGirl June 24, 2011 at 10:07 am

Your smoothies always look so good! I agree…you never regret a workout!

35 Courtney June 24, 2011 at 10:23 am

Great job for pushing through! And those granola bars look sooo good!
Courtney recently posted..Amazing Blogger Award!

36 Ashley @ the fit academic June 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

OMG, You’ve GOT to be kidding! So sorry about the AC!!! : (

37 Hilary June 24, 2011 at 10:25 am

I am SO with you on running/working out at night…it is the LAST thing I’d like to do…which is why I’m a “get-‘er-done in the morning” kinda girl! Hope things work out with the AC….hopefully this one is under warantee ’cause it’s new?
Hilary recently posted..Ring around the Burger

38 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

Good for you for getting out there and doing it! Looks like you worked up a sweat. That a girl! PS- your smoothies always look sooo delicious. I love how you top them with good stuff. Mouth.Watering.Right.Now
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..The Lazy Girlโ€™s Workout Plan

39 Daniella June 24, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh those bars look delish! I hope you find the link and can share…
Daniella recently posted..A wonderful wedding for some wonderful friends

40 Dani June 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

Man, I REALLY hope your AC problems get fixed soon! You really are a saint for having put up with it this long!
Dani recently posted..Special spaghetti

41 Jane June 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Would love the chocolate chip oatmeal granola bar recipe. Looks and sounds really good.

Jane

42 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) June 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Ugh, that is the way I felt this morning. The last thing I wanted to do was get up and run… so, I stayed in bed. Now, of course, I wish I had gotten my exercise out of the way.
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Snack Pack Attack

43 Amy June 25, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Ahh no way on the leaky AC! That is so not cool.
Amy recently posted..The โ€˜Skinnyโ€™ or โ€˜Fatโ€™ Debate