We have AC!

by Meghann on June 22, 2011

Out with the old….

IMG_7715.jpg

…And in with the new. πŸ™‚

Having a working AC unit is a beautiful thing πŸ˜‰

They say if your relationship can survive a month with a broken ac, then your relationship can survive anything.

Ok, that’s lie. ‘They’ probably don’t say that, but I can definitely attest to it.

Let’s just say our ac has been on the fritz for a little over a month now, and Derek and I have probably had more arguments in that month then in the last 5 years we’ve known each other. Nothing is worst than hot and cranky people – even worst when you throw a constantly panting Jack Russell into the mix. Poor Maddie. :/

Our AC problems began with a leak back in May. That leak led to the fear of water damage and the need to turn the unit off. (Insert hot and cranky Meghann here).

We were eventually able to rig a system consisting of a tarp and a large bucket to control the leak.

243402_10100792115815403_5207154_69599640_6883969_o (1).jpg

The rigged system bought us some time to gather price quotes from 4 different AC companies regarding a new unit. You see, when Derek purchased the condo back in 2010, he went in knowing the AC was going to be needed to be replaced. The handler inside was installed in 2005, but the system outside came from the late 1980s. Repairing any part of the system would run us almost as much as replacing it and – since the outside component was so out of date – our only option was to replace both.

We took our time gathering quotes (err… Derek took his time), thinking the rigged system would buy us plenty of time.

Wrong.

It didn’t take long until problems with the outside unit began to surface too. We went from being able to leave the ac on for 8 hours at a time, to barely getting 30 minutes out of it (before it overheated). It was a dragged out nightmare of constantly turning it on and off.

Eventually everything just stopped working all together. The last few nights were the worst – it stays pretty hot and sticky in Florida at night.

Thankfully Derek found a company – and a price quote – he liked and the new system was installed today. πŸ™‚

The condo is still in the midst of cooling down and – trust me!- I have never been more thankful for running AC. I’m pretty sure Derek has never been more thankful too – now he can have some peace and quiet again. You know… instead of the nagging, uncomfortable girlfriend and dog.

A comfortable girlfriend is a happy girlfriend. πŸ™‚

I celebrated the NEW AC by turning the oven for the first time in a week.

Fried Chicken Tenders, Roasted Corn on the Cob, and Steamed Broccoli. <- heck yeah!

The fried chicken tenders came with a new twist.

I added some grainy dijon mustard to the egg wash for a little kick and instead of traditional bread crumbs I used a mix of wheat brand and ground flax seed seasoned with salt, pepper, and chili powder.

The thin tenders baked for about 12 minutes at 415.

The results were incredibly flavorful and crispy. The addition of the grainy mustard gets two thumbs up!

Derek and I can’t seem to pull ourselves away from the marathon of ‘I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant‘ on TLC. This show is insance! I mean, how can they NOT know they’re pregnant?!?! It’s crazy!!!

On the flipside, I also watched a marathon of 16 and Pregnant last night.

I know. I need to watch less tv. Maybe I’ll go ready a book (that doesn’t involve pregnancy).

Good Night!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Oh gosh, you are a better woman than me. There is no way I could live without AC for a month in the summer. I would make sure my husband got that squared away IMMEDIATELY! He would know it’s for his own good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crazy day at the vegan cafe

2 Carissa June 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Congrats on the AC! I hope I never have that problem at our home…at least not soon..I wouldn’t be as patient as ya’ll!

I sometimes use wheat germ in my chicken tenders. Add a nice sweetness!

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

YAH for new AC! I bet you feel incredible right now πŸ™‚ Woot.

Those chicken tenders look super delish, too. Thanks for the recipe!

4 michelle June 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I’ve seen that show before and thought the same thing – how did they not know they were pregnant?! It makes no sense to me! It’s a little life growing inside you, kicking, and growing bigger and bigger…. I would think you must know something is going on.
michelle recently posted..To Rock n Roll… or not

5 Sana June 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

OMG, I don’t know how you survived! Thank god you have ac now!!!

6 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 22, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Congrats on the new AC unit! It’s great that you guys are now closer having been through replacing it πŸ™‚ When our furnace had a major issue and our dryer died within the same week, I just about lost it. But it ultimately brought my boyfriend and I closer together because it showed how much he trusts my decisions on big ticket items like that!
I, too, need to stop watching all of the pregnant shows. 16 & Pregnant is like crack! I just can’t look away!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Vacation!

7 molly June 23, 2011 at 4:55 am

I also can NOT stop watching 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom. I try to justify this habit in two ways: 1. even though I’m not a teenager anymore, it still is a good reminder of how difficult parenting is 2. it furthers my belief that teenagers everywhere need really honest and open sex education and access to birth control options, not limited to just condoms.

8 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Exactly! I agree on both points. The aspect of watching someone be pregnant, give birth and bond with a newborn is fascinating, but also learning about an individual and all of the circumstances / variables that lead them to become a teenage mom is intriguing. I agree that teenagers needed this show to show them what it’s really like to be a teen mom. An eye-opening series, for certain!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Vacation!

9 molly June 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Lol, after responding to your post this morning I Googled 16 and pregnant and found some random news articles about health teachers using episodes of the show in class. Interesting idea

10 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Congrats on getting a new AC!! I know you are relieved!! I hate being HOT, almost as much as I hate being too COLD! What ever happened to nice 70 degree weather?!

Your chicken tenders look super yummy! I like to mix gr flax and gr pecans for the crust! I like the addition of grainy mustard to the egg wash!

Oh, and that one chicken tender looks like a large finned FISH! Ha ha!
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..I have a confession to make…

11 Ashley June 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I am so happy y’all have AC!! WOOP WOOP! You dinner looks great too. Enjoy a nice, cool evening tonight!
Ashley recently posted..Weekly Plan- June 20-26

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 22, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I find the I didn’t know I was pregnant show crazy as well! Although if you think about it, so many people don’t pay attention to what their body is telling them anyways so I can see how they might ignore the symptoms of pregnancy!

That dinner looks so yummy and healthy! πŸ™‚ Yey for a working AC unit! πŸ™‚

13 Christie June 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Once we had a tornado come through our neighborhood (our house was mostly fine) but it knocked our power out for 2 days. My husband couldn’t handle not having AC after about 5 hours so we ended up getting a hotel until the power came back. I’m pretty sure we couldn’t make it a month. Kudos to you guys!

14 Anne @thefitbridesmaid June 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Don’t you feel weird saying “girlfriend” when you are in your mid to late 20’s and live together? I felt like I was in high school calling Matt my “boyfriend”. HOORAY FOR AC!

15 molly June 23, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I’ve been working at a local independent video store for over 2 years now and have become close with pretty much all of our regulars. One of my favorite regulars, shes in her mid 60s, sometimes asks, “How is your sweetie doing?” I love that she refers to him as my sweetie. I find it endearing and absolutely adorable.
I usually refer to B as my partner or my dude.

16 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I can’t help but laugh, but your old A/C looks like R2D2 from Star Wars! hehe. Good night!

17 Lauren @ sweet and twisted June 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I sighed with relief when I read the title!!
Lauren @ sweet and twisted recently posted..Kitty Time!

18 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

‘I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant’ is the funniest show on TV. It blows my mind. If I’m more than 2 days late and have even one craving for pickles, I’m totally convinced I’m pregnant. How do they miss these signs!?!

19 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

UGH that show is just the pits. Can you even fathom that experience?

BRB, gotta go to the bathroom OH JK IT’S A BABY!!

The most ridiculous.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

20 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) June 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m glad your A/C is back up and running! Since The Boy and I moved in together we’ve had a couple fun moments of apartment living, with the worst being when our apartment flooded riiight after Thanksgiving and we spent a month without use of our living room and dining room (we have a two story townhouse). We were eating dinner in our bedroom and I was SO SO SO happy when I got the text “we have carpet.”

So, I totally agree with your statement about being able to stick together even after a month without A/C (or with only half of your apartment..)
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Get a Move On!

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

As landlords (in NY) to tenants in FL, we’ve had our fair share of calls about A/C’s being out. My response (to my husband, not the tenant) is always “i don’t understand why it’s such a HUGE inconvenience to be out A/C for a day or 2 before it gets fixed”. After reading your month long saga, I guess I understand a bit better!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

22 Meghann June 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

Trust me – a night without AC in Florida is pure torture. It’s not just the heat – it’s the humidity! It’s a suffocating heat that makes it very difficult to sleep through.

23 Amy June 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

Hi-so happy you have your AC back. I live in Canada and need mine so i can’t even imagine how uncomfortable you, Derek and Maddie were πŸ™

I was wondering if you could put a shout out, or give some advice on changing workout times. I’m a morning runner and run with my baby in a jogging stroller, but my older son is out of school soon so i have to get some evening runs in for my first marathon training. I did my first evening run tonight and it was a disaster. I could feel the food from all day swishing around in my stomach, i felt slow and sluggish-it was awful!! I need some advice from fellow runners who love their evening runs–please!?

24 Meghann June 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hi Amy!

I’ll see what I can do. πŸ™‚

25 Amy June 23, 2011 at 11:54 am

That would be great-last night’s run was the worst run i have ever had πŸ™ I’m just so used to running on an empty stomach and having morning energy…this is going to be a tough change, but any tips and tricks from other runners to help my body adjust would be appreciated πŸ™‚

26 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

I could only imagine how miserable it gets in Florida without AC! I don’t have AC in my car, and god, stopping at a light for more than 2 seconds and having the cool breeze go away when I’m driving makes for a very angry Kate πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

27 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 23, 2011 at 12:27 am

I’m SO happy your AC is fixed because I was honestly getting overheated just reading your posts about it! πŸ˜‰ YAY for cool summers!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Off roading while camping

28 Audrey June 23, 2011 at 1:00 am

Haha, it was 103 today and I turned the AC OFF! It never gets over 87 in the house, and I missed the warm weather soo much, so I’ve been soaking it all in. I turned it back on before the rest of the house got home from work, butguring the day I just enjoyed summer vacation with the AC off πŸ™‚

29 Marie June 23, 2011 at 1:25 am

Oh how did you survive? I’m sure the millions of people in the world with no AC, clean water, electricity, or you know, much food would love to know.

30 Amy June 23, 2011 at 1:26 am

Seriously is there anything than ‘fried’ chicken?? Mmmmm
Amy recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Being Perfect

31 Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. June 23, 2011 at 6:19 am

I’m very excited that you finally got AC!!! We survived almost 100 degree weather without it recently. Our upstairs was 85 and downstairs was 83! Not fun, nor comfortable so I can totally relate. We finally got it installed and couldn’t be happier πŸ™‚

The chicken tenders look awesome! I love the idea of the dijon in the egg wash! I will definitely give it a try

32 Meghann June 23, 2011 at 9:51 am

85? Pshhh… our house got to 95 INSIDE. INSANE πŸ™‚

33 Lauren June 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

Thank GOODNESS the AC is fixed. When my husband and I first got married, our AC until broke in the dead of summer and I swear it was a true test of our marriage. πŸ™‚ Glad you guys are calm, cool and collected once again. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Spotted- Im in the News

34 Hope June 23, 2011 at 8:30 am

Congrats on getting a new AC! I hope you had a great, cool nights sleep! πŸ™‚ Dinner looks delicious! πŸ™‚

I totally love 16 & Pregnant too! Did you know the original cast of Teen Mom comes back July 5th?! Cannot wait!
Hope recently posted..Cupcakes &amp A Trip to Maryland…

35 Meghann June 23, 2011 at 9:51 am

Yep! Excited!!

Thought I was more of a fan of Teen Mom 2 then the original.

36 Charli [charlisquest] June 23, 2011 at 8:32 am

Yay!! I am not sure my husband and I would have survived a monthw ith no AC. We fought when it broke down for one night! As for the show, I had a friend who didn’t know she was pregnant (I asked her how…I mean really, I have been pregnant twice and it was NO surprise, especially with all the weird things that happen to your body). She didn’t find out until she ws 7 months along. When asked how, she said she never really got her period before getting pregnant so when it was gone, it was no difference and her stomach never got hard, she never had morning sickness (I bet she did, she just didn’t register it) and she never showed any other signs. I find it hard to believe myself, I mean who goes to the bathroom for a poo and comes out with a baby and it’s a surprise?! Um, no!!
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..Weigh In Wednesday

37 Jenny June 23, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’ve had some serious baby fever lately (a bunch of baby cousins have been born this year), but I find that watching 16 and Pregnant and I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant sort of calms down the baby-making desire.

However, the many incarnations of Say Yes to the Dress coupled with a slew of friends getting engaged has sort of created a WHOLE ‘nother monster. πŸ™‚
Jenny recently posted..Popping In

38 Sarah June 23, 2011 at 9:09 am

yay for AC!!! I can’t imagine sleeping in the heat like that. You guys are champs!
Sarah recently posted..Sunday Review

39 Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

Congrats on the new AC!! I had to have mine replaced 2 weeks ago. I was soo cranky!!! That chicken looks fantastic… I think I know what I’ll be making for dinner!

40 Mary June 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hooray for AC! πŸ˜€
Mary recently posted..A Whirlwind Day

41 emily June 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Ok, in the spirit of your brand new A/C and your return to non-sweaty wake-ups (isn’t that the WORST?) I have a question to pose to you and hopefully some commenters as well. I live in an older house with two (male) roommates in South Carolina and our AC has been out for almost a week. While it’s not Florida, it’s been in the high 90s this week. Our landlord is currently in Virginia and has done what he can, relatively quickly, to remedy the situation. He’s sent someone out to look, but he will probably need to buy a new unit. One roommate “feels for him” and has even offered to get a quote from his friend in the business. Another roommate is impatient and believes that we should have our rent pro-rated. I’m in the middle, as I don’t think we should feel BAD for our landlord, but I’d feel tacky asking for discounted rent. I’m curious what you think!!

By the way, your dinner looks like it was fab, I’m sure you’re glad you can use your whole kitchen again!

42 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 23, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hmm…interesting question. As a landlord, I’d say that after more than a week I’d consider prorating my tenants rent. Anything shorter than that, I think people need to understand it’s hard to fix things instaneously.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

43 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep June 23, 2011 at 11:12 am

I believe every state has different landlord/tenant codes. Do you have an attorney friend you can ask?
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

44 Victoria June 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

I would pull up your rental agreement to see how repairs are addressed in the contract. I’m guessing that the contract will provide your landlord a “reasonable” time frame in which to initiate and complete repairs, in which case you are likely legally out of luck. Most landlord/tenant laws are liberally construed in favor of the landlord. However, you may want to pull the South Carolina statutes governing landlord/tenant law or ask an attorney friend to be sure. Like Andrea said, every state is different.

P.S. – I feel for your lack of A/C. Ours was only out for a weekend, but it was absolutely miserable. No A/C means your house is basically uninhabitable! I hope it gets fixed very soon!!

45 Kristen June 23, 2011 at 11:14 am

YAY for A/C!! Don’t know how you went without for so long…

I watched that show too and could NOT believe the girl that weighted 135 lbs and still didn’t know…I mean where did the baby go, LOL!?