Indoor Heat Wave

by Meghann on June 21, 2011

It’s HOT in Florida today.

HOT. HOT. HOT.

I think we’re going on 3? 4? weeks with a broken AC unit. Which wasn’t too bad at first, but over the weekend all of our ‘quick fix’ tricks started failing and we’ve had absolutely NO ac for 3 days. Ouch.

Last night was the worst of all the non-ac evenings. Despite a couple of fans blowing directly on me – and sleeping in just my knickers – I woke up every few hours in uncomfortable spurts of sweat. I like the AC to be freezing when I sleep, this warm setting is not good.

Luckily, help is on it’s way! A new AC unit has been ordered. Now, we just have to sit and wait for the new one to be installed (hopefully sometime this week). Let’s cross our fingers it’s sooner rather than later. πŸ™‚

The heat kicked me out of the house this morning. When I couldn’t take it any longer, I decided to seek shelter at nearby coffee shops and shaded parks.

I even brought a lunch with me.

I considered grabbing lunch out (in the ac), but the fully stocked fridge and desire to save money for a cruise this fall changed my mind.

(Bringing my lunch ended up being a good thing when I realized I forgot my wallet at home, but we’ll get into that in a minute.)

I brought a favorite summer staple with me – Caprese Salad! Fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil on top of a bed of spinach and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Pita Chips for carbs

Bubbles!

IMG_0220.jpg

Lunch with a view.

Sitting in the shade is cooler than sitting in my house right now. How sad is that?

I was all set to walk to one of my favorite coffee shops after lunch, but quickly discovered I had no wallet. No wallet = no drink. Working from a coffee shop without buying anything just doesn’t sit right me.

On to Plan B

Look, my first adventure to a library since becoming self employed!

Is it weird the library is noisier than the coffee shop? Right now there’s a lady talking on her cellphone, little kids running a muck, and a baby crying in her stroller.

Still, it’s free wifi and plenty of cool ac. It doesn’t get much better than that. πŸ™‚

1 Kara June 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I always like to bring my crying baby to the library.

We lost power for like an hour yesterday and I was dying without the AC and we live in MD, so I don’t know how you haven’t checked into a hotel yet. You’re tougher than me πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Baby on the move!

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Ugh, I don’t know how youa re living without the AC right now! We have our blowing and I’m STILL too hot all the time!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crazy day at the vegan cafe

3 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love the library! I’m actually heading there this afternoon after work to drop off some books and pick up some new ones! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Weekend and a Winner

4 Jessica June 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Meghann I feel so bad for you – I tweeted this earlier but yeah Ryan and I haven’t been getting any AC upstairs in our bedroom so we’ve been sleeping on the couch downstairs the past week… it sucks! I feel your pain πŸ™
Jessica recently posted..Editing Life

5 Hope June 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I love going to the library! I haven’t been there in so long! Sorry to hear about your ac. I hope it gets fixed asap! Love the salad! Caprese is my fave! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Cupcakes &amp A Trip to Maryland…

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I always thought the library was way louder than trying to study in my dorm or even the student center in college. What’s up with that!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

yey I love all the ways you save money! I had to drop buying drinks out as well. Starbucks (and the like) really do add up!

Yey for your cruise! πŸ™‚

8 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm

here’s a tip to save $$ at Starbucks— I always buy their coffee beans (because I drink coffee like it’s water) solely over any other brand because if you bring the bag back in after it’s finished (which is at least once a week for me and my man), you can get a FREE tall cup of coffee πŸ™‚
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..11 Miles Later…

9 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Such a great idea Monika, thanks! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Moving Stress- NaturaStride- and Picky Bar Love

10 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife June 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

We studied for the Professional engineering exam at the library. It’s interesting when you start to see who the “regulars” are. Also, while we don’t have AC in Boston (don’t really need it), I didn’t have it one summer in Cincinnati, and I remember being so uncomfortable at night. UGH! Thank goodness it’s getting fixed!

11 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I can never work in a library as well as I do in a coffee shop.. too quiet for me!
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..11 Miles Later…

12 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life June 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

It always amazes me how not quiet libraries are! Haha

Ohhhh a cruise sounds like so much fun!

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I can’t imagine being in Florida without AC right now. You’re on a goose chase for AC!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..CityScapes

14 Kendall (On An Inhale) June 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I can’t imagine no AC in FL! I’m in Boston and I thought my window AC was bad! I’m glad you had the library to cool you off!!

15 Sarah June 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Free wifi trumps noise sometimes. I would go to my university library but it stresses me out sometimes. Everyone always looks so intense. Not a fan.
Sarah recently posted..Sunday Review

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Public Libraries are the worst. They’re never quiet. I don’t know how anyone could work there.
My favourite place to work was in the law library at my university. Those law students are serious workers. You could hear a pin drop!

17 Amy June 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m so glad y’all are getting a new AC soon! I hope it’s SOONER than later!
Amy recently posted..squat- lunge- curlREPEAT

18 Becky June 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Is Maddie doing okay without AC?

19 Liz June 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

This is what I wondered.

20 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm

She is not a fan of not having AC and I worry about her constantly πŸ™ I let her outside in the backyard a lot because it’s shaded and cooler out there than inside and when we leave her in the crate we have two fans blowing directly at her and access to plenty of ice water

21 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Way to make do with the situation! The library in Orlando also has some interesting characters …

22 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I laughed at your library comment (being noisy) because the library on campus when I was at university was probably the loudest study space you could find! Well, apart from the top floors which were super quiet and people would shoot you evil stares if you did so much as drop a pen on the floor. Hope you’re having a great afternoon, and stay cool in the AC!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..I Heart Summer

23 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm

The library at the school I went to was pretty quiet. I used to take naps during my long breaks between classes – they had really comfy chairs on the second floor πŸ™‚

24 Dani June 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I don’t know how you’re doing it either! I work in DC and last summer, when our building lost AC around noon, we got sent home with PTO for the rest of the day!

Hope you can get your new unit soon!

25 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm

That happened to me when I work in an office – when the ac broke they told everyone to go home.

26 Erica June 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Meghann!! If i lived closer id make you stay with me-it is too hot! The salad looks very refreshing. We have lots of tomatoes coming in, i will be making a caprese salad soon

27 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm

If I lived closer I would take you up on that offer! Trust me, if my family was closer I would be staying there. πŸ™‚

28 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm

My local library is always packed and noisy.

What happened to all those librarians that used to come down on anyone who dared make a peep while at the library?
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..The toes have it

29 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Libraries are supposed to be quiet haha I remember getting shushed all the time as a kid.. hanging out in the lib to do work totally gives me flashbacks to college though, minus the stress of a 15 page paper of course. πŸ˜‰

30 Lisa June 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Did you know they are serving those exact pita chips on Southwest flights now? So exciting!
Lisa recently posted..From The Marketers Desk 3

31 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm

ha! Those pita chips are actually from my Southwest flight to Philly a couple of weeks ago. I like to snag as many as I can.

32 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Libraries can get seriously noisy! I used to go to the one near my house to study and I just can’t do it anymore. Too loud!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

33 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Good lord, I can’t imagine living without A/C, especially where you are! Hope it gets fixed soon!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Don’t Be Alarmed

34 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 21, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Life at the library will no longer be the same after you watch this clip from Portlandia (only the most hilarious show I’ve never seen because I only watch clips online…)

Seriously. Next time, just play competitive H&S.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

35 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

How you are living without AC is beyond me. It is SO hot here in Florida… it’s not even funny!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Let&8217s Catch Up!

36 Charli [charlisquest] June 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Maybe I missed it, but why are you still with a broken A/C? I know they are expensive to fix (I think we are going to have to fix ours this HOT HOT summer), but you must be melting?! I am melting for you?! How are you sleeping? Man, I sure sound like a mother! Good luck.
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..Happy Birthday Wills

37 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

We have to get a whole new system which requires research and time to make sure we get as much bang for our buck as we can. Trust me – I am melting! The temp gauge is measuring 95 degrees inside the house! And I sleep with lots on fans – LOTS of fans

38 Sara June 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Stinks about the ac! What about Maddie? Heat may be miserable for us humans, but imagine a full coat of fur in it. Maybe u can find a place she can come too.

39 Brandi June 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I would be interested in knowing how you and Derek have ‘weathered’ the air conditioning or lack of situation as a couple. I guess I am assuming that this is your first big stressful problem you have had since moving in together that involves your living situation. Things like this usually would lead to some arguments at our house. lol.

40 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Great idea! I think this may be a blog post. Trust me – it hasn’t been easy!

41 Carissa June 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Is it weird that I’m totally shocked the library was loud??? I consider the library a secret shrine from my nerdy youth!

Here’s hoping it cools down AND your AC comes soon!
Carissa recently posted..No excuses breakfast- overnight oats

42 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the AC!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Scenes from my weekend – Sydney Style

43 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Oh man!! I feel for you! I really, really hope you find some more relief soon… no AC = no FUN! I think your game plan for today was rockin’ though!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Weekly Plan- June 20-26

44 Ashley @ Thefitacademic June 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Ugh! Maybe I’m just an old crabby lady, but i hate when i go to the library and people are loud and disruptive! So rude! I grew up with the whole *shooosh!No talking!* kinda library attitude. People now must not have the same grouchy old librarian who enforced the rules when I was a kid : )
Ashley @ Thefitacademic recently posted..Shred the Fat- Cut the Hair

45 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 21, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Wow! I can’t imagine being in FL in the humidity with no AC right now! You’re quite a trooper.

46 Lauren June 21, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I feel the same way. I can’t use a place for their free wi-fi unless I buy something. To me, its kind of like stealing. Hope the AC gets fixed soon!!! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..A Fathers Day Confession

47 Ali @ Ali Runs June 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

My local library is the same way! It is always so loud–but I usually need it to be very quiet if I’m going to be productive. I’ve found that local college’s library’s are much better.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Thursday Track Day

48 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yikes I would DIE without AC! Nice choices to get out πŸ™‚

49 Hilary June 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Looks like you made the best of a hot and sticky situation…too bad about the wallet though!
Hilary recently posted..Summer BBQ…done right!

50 Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) June 21, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I LOVE the library for a change of scenery, but I agree that they don’t enforce the “quiet” rule enough..
Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) recently posted..Keepin It Clean

51 Mac June 22, 2011 at 12:33 am

My library is the same way and it drives me nuts! What happened to the old days when the librarian would yell at your for breathing too loudly!
Mac recently posted..Fathers Day Weekend was a Success

52 Amelia June 22, 2011 at 8:37 am

I know it’s super hot in Florida, it is 104 in Charleston, SC this week. However, I would completely trade having the AC unit go out vs the heat during the winter. About 4 years ago, right after my husband and I bought our first home, the heat went out during the middle of January. You might wonder what the big deal is considering we live in Charleston, but that year was one of the coldest winters! To top it off, Kevin was on travel for 2 months. I purchased two tiny space heaters rotating them through the rooms to keep warm. Try taking a shower when the house is 50 degrees! COLD!!

I hope your unit is installed sooner than later! πŸ™‚

53 Rachael June 22, 2011 at 9:09 am

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I know you are uncomfortable without A/C but please know that I am super jealous every time you post something about it being hot… so, every day. When it actually gets above 70F here people rejoice. It’s 60F in my office and I have my coat on and a little space heater by my feet haha
Rachael recently posted..hiatus

54 Lauren June 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

I can’t work in the library – it is too quiet and too noisy all at the same time.
Lauren recently posted..Kitty Time!

55 Amy June 23, 2011 at 12:11 am

Ugh I hate when people are noisy in a library! Ahhhh pet peeve alert!
Amy recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Being Perfect