Breaking Rules

by Meghann on June 21, 2011

Shhhhh….. don’t tell Derek, but I broke the no stove/oven rule tonight. 😉

What can I say? I wanted brussels sprouts.

I quartered of bunch of sprouts, sliced an onion, and sauteed it on the stove top with some Fli-Fil Herb Lemon Marinade.

Once everything began to caramelize, I threw in a can of chickpeas and some raisins.

Thankfully, no oven needed for the rice. I stocked up on a bunch of microwave steam bags, knowing I would get my use out of them this week.

The finished product

Yum. It was a great throw together dish that really emphasized the natural nuttiness of the brussels sprouts.

I think brussels sprouts are my favorite green leafed veggie. I could eat them raw, boiled, sauteed, roasted, etc. They’re like little mini pieces of cabbage heaven.

I heated the kitchen up for dinner, but managed to cool down with dessert.

Breyer’s Coffee Brownie Fudge Ice Cream is amazing. 🙂

This afternoon I had an apple on my way home from the library.

News Flash

The latest episode of Meals and Miles – featuring Saturday’s Champions Mud Bash – is up now on iZonOrlando.com

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 9.46.58 PM.png

Check it out now by HERE.

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oohhh, I agree! I could eat Brussels sprouts all.the.time! I never had them growing up, but now I can’t get enough.

2 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Rules were meant to be broken when it comes to things like brussels sprouts. And ovens. And ice cream at all times.

I enjoyed myself some steamfresh steamed veggies tonight, as well. classic, and fantastic meal-addition. So hot right now (literally.)
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

3 Sara June 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I totally would have broken the rule, too! I could never do without an oven/stove… even if it was 120 degrees in the house.

That ice cream looks gooooood.

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I love roasted brussels sprouts! Only way to eat them, in my opinion 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

5 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I went through a big brussel sprouts phase for awhile, but lately they just haven’t been calling out to me.. You may have inspired me to grab some next time I’m at the grocery store.. What kind of sauce was that? I’ve never heard of it!

6 Meghann June 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

It’s from a small company in California. I think you can find it at Whole Foods out there or order it online at http://www.fil-fil.com

7 Mary @ Fervent Foodie June 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I love brussel sprouts too! I don’t know what all those little kids are complaining about 🙂

8 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Mmmmm… I <3 brussels… But I Use to HATE them! It's Amazing how are taste buds change/mature! Chickpeas and Raisins sound like a great combo too!
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..I have a confession to make…

9 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm

That looks like a very easy and yummy meal.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..One More Day

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I haven’t had brussel sprouts lately, but maybe I should! Dinner looks semi-random but delish!

11 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm

YUM I love brussels 🙂
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..11 Miles Later…

12 Jane June 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm

The brussel sprout dish looks yummy! Love how you added chickpeas and raisins. I’ll be trying it out next week. Thanks for sharing 🙂

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Brussel sprouts are my favorite when roasted, but I’m sure they’re just as delicious in the pan. Anything that gets out their natural sweetness is perfect for me 🙂

Mmmmm coffee ice cream!!!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Run- At Last

14 courtney (pancakes and postcards) June 22, 2011 at 12:31 am

good brussels sprouts are soooo good. bad ones are SOOOOOO BAD. 🙂

15 Christine @ Burning It Off June 22, 2011 at 6:31 am

I’ve always heard brussel sprouts described as gross everywhere outside of the healthy blogging world… I should give them a chance one of these days!
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Stretching it Out

16 Meghann June 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

I grew up on brussel sprouts and have always <3 them. I always wondered why they got such a bad rap.

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

Brussels sprouts are so worth it!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crazy day at the vegan cafe

18 Amanda June 22, 2011 at 8:10 am

Love your method for cooking the brussel sprouts. I’ve never been a big fan, but I think I could enjoy them cooked with this recipe.
Amanda recently posted..America’s Got…Too Much Time on their Hands

19 lisa June 22, 2011 at 8:12 am

i’ve tried brussel sprouts before but wasn’t too impressed, but this dish looks amazing! Maybe i’ll try them again like this! 😀
lisa recently posted..Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

20 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 22, 2011 at 8:24 am

Girl, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Must Have Been Something I Ate Review Recipe!

21 Ali @ Ali Runs June 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

I LOVE Brussel Sprouts! They are such an awesome veggie–your dinner looks awesome! But I still can’t imagine cooking in the heat that I’m sure your apartment is. I think I would be all about the smoothies. 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Thursday Track Day

22 Hope June 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

Brussels sprouts are my favorite! I love roasting them. I could and possibly do eat them every single night. 🙂 I can’t believe I never ate them growing up! I just started eating them within the past year. I never knew what I missing out on!
Hope recently posted..Cupcakes &amp A Trip to Maryland…

23 Anne Weber-Falk June 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I do not like brussel sprouts. Yuck! I’ve tried them every which way but they still leave a nasty taste in my mouth. Funny that I do like all sorts of cabbage though. Oh well, guess that means there’s more brussel sprouts for you.

24 Cait's Plate June 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Holy cow – Coffee Brownie Fudge Ice Cream?! That sounds amazing. I’ve apparently been living under a rock eating plain old coffee ice cream and thinking it was great! I gotta get my hands on some of that NOW 🙂
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Load ‘Er Up

25 Belinda June 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That meal looks SO yummy. I never thought of doing brussel sprouts in a frying pan with an onion before, and the raisins sound great too. I will try this soon!

26 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love brussel sprouts! When I was in Denver last week I went to a restaurant specifically because they had (gluten-free) fried brussel sprouts. What else was on the menu?? I couldn’t tell you. But there were brussel sprouts!
Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble recently posted..North Carolina Pulled Pork