HIM Training: Week 2 Wrap Up

by Meghann on June 20, 2011

Another week has come and gone in Half Ironman Training. (see full plan here)

Two weeks down – 14 more to go!

Previous Wrap Ups:

Here’s what week 2 looked like going into it

Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 12.19.24 PM.png

And here’s what actually went down.

Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 12.15.50 PM.png

Not many changes, but definitely some noticeable ones (like adding a rest day and taking out a run)

Wrap Up

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

• REST

Numbers Breakdown

• Swim: 2000 yds (approximate)
  • Bike: 15 miles + Spin
  • Run: 14.5 miles
  • Strength: 2 Days
  • Misc: 20 mins

Final Thoughts

• I feel like I’m doing a lot, but all my numbers are low (for me) – I guess that’s what you get when you try to train for three sports at once? I also have to keep reminding myself that it’s only the second week of training and the workouts will get longer and harder. It just takes time to build up to that – time I will be thankful I had in the future.
  • I cut my run on Sunday because I felt like I needed to add a day of rest into my work out. Sometimes rest is more important than sticking to a schedule and it felt good to just have a day of nothing after a hard week of work. 🙂
  • Having a training buddy has been a TREMENDOUS help! MAJOR THANKS to Courtney for hitting the workouts with me. I’m not sure I could do this without her! 🙂

Food

Lunch today reminded me of something you would find in a little kid’s lunchbox…. Or maybe it would have just been my lunch box?

You have the classic grilled sandwich.

Little kids like grilled cheese, almond butter, spinach and carrot sandwiches right?

Apple slices

And pretzels with mustard.

A meal any kid (or adult) would be proud to eat!

Running and Listening to Your Body

Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 3.14.17 PM.png

Running isn’t always about miles, pace, and time – sometimes it’s about listening to your body. Check out my post at Attune Foods this month as I talk about my own journey of listening to what my body has to say.

1 Courtney June 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

What a yummy lunch! 😀 😀
Courtney recently posted..Do’s and Don’ts of Eating Out

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That sandwich looks incredible! Almond butter and cheese go with anything 🙂

3 michelle June 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

8 or 9 weeks from now you will be wishing you had easier weeks, like you said. I think it’s natural for anyone training for a tri to look at their individual numbers for each sport and think wow they are low… until you add them together or add up the time you spent doing all the different activities.
michelle recently posted..Vancouver USA Marathon Race Recap

4 Meghann June 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Thanks Michelle. That’s what I keep telling myself – I’m dividing my time over three sports and when you add it up – it’s alot! 🙂

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Sounds like a delicious lunch Meghann (minus the mustard – but that’s just me!!) Congrats on week 2, it sounds like you’re going strong!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..I Heart Summer

6 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I always feel like I’m not running enough when I train for a tri… but when you add all the hours up – you’re really doing alot! Congrats on 2 weeks down 🙂
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Are GMO’s Really Evil

7 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm

i would have definitely needed a rest day after that week! Good job listening to your body. 🙂
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Hearty Father’s Day

8 Christine June 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm

You brought up a really interesting point that I never considered for tri training (I’m not considering one, but I enjoy telling the multi-sport athletes in my life that they should). There are three sports that you have to figure out how to allocate time to- crazy! I can see how that would become super time consuming.
Christine recently posted..If There is a God

9 Stephanie June 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

It is so important to listen to your body and your attune post was right on.
I also especially perked up when I read about your break form running after your marathon….
I’m in the midst of a running hiatus-and having a really hard time with it.
I have soft tissue damage and a stress fracture in my foot from a half a week and a half ago-my doctor said 4-6 weeks of staying off of it as much as I could and 6-8 weeks until running. A week in, and I already am upset and missing my running routes…how did you deal with your month off? I’m really looking for advice right about now-what am I going to do with myself for a whole month!?

10 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 9:59 am

It just so happened that my month off fell during summer and vacation time. I just let myself enjoy the rest and took up cross training with swimming and cycling. I missed running, but the distraction of friends and family helped.

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I wish I had a grilled cheese like that when I was a kid! looks delish!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

12 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

That sammie looks amazing- it’s making me drool!
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..11 Miles Later…

13 Katherine June 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Pretzel with mustard = NOMNOM!
Katherine recently posted..Just One Of Those Mornings

14 Cait's Plate June 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh my goodness that lunch looks so delish. No matter what I eat, as soon as I stop by your blog I’m immediately jealous of what you had and wish I’d had that! Haha.

You’re a total rockstar with all that training…don’t know how you do it!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Herby Turkey

15 Dani June 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm

That is totally a Meghann meal! Haha, one of these days I will be brave enough to try that sort of combo but for now, the most adventurous I get is grilled cheese with a tomato slice inside!

16 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm

With 14 weeks to go – it all looks perfect to me! Enjoy the ‘smaller’ workout weeks why they last lol

17 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wow, congrats on keeping up with your HIM training.

I will check out the attune article.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..You can tell its Monday by the pizza

18 Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

That’s awesome to hear you listened to your body and took a rest day. I often struggle with taking any sort of rest from exercising, but need to realize how important and necessary it is for our bodies.
Great article too, I will use this as a reminder to relax once in awhile!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Almost Gave In… Recipes!

19 sammy June 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm

cheese and peanut butter and people are saying “yum”? am i the only one who doesn’t get that??

20 Katie @ Life... Discombobulated June 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Way to go! That’s quite a training load!!! 🙂
How’s the NROLFW going for you? I’m in my third week and I don’t know if it’s my mind playing tricks on me, but I think I can see some results!!!
Katie @ Life… Discombobulated recently posted..When Motivation Goes Away

21 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’m in my 4th week and I swear I’m seeing results too. As I dive deeper into training I find it more difficult to get the NROLFW workouts in, but I’m sticking with it!

22 Ashley @ the fit academic June 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm

haha, I love you so don’t take this the wrong way….but that sandwich sounds disgusting!!!! omg, cheese, carrots, almond butter & spinach??? What the what??? too funny!
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..Shred the Fat- Cut the Hair

23 Meghann June 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

haha I promise it’s not disgusting! It’s delicious 🙂

24 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I can see how you think your numbers are low – but you are a machine! 3 Sports AND weight lighting?? Definitely nothing to laugh at! And taking a rest day is IMPORTANT! Glad you did.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Yep- It’s Here Again…

25 Courtney W June 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thanks for getting me out of bed! It’s awesome having the company early in the morning.
Courtney W recently posted..Swim workout switch up

26 Lauren June 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Haha, I think your sandwich looks amazing, but then again, I just got done eating an egg white, hummus, and pesto sammie on a sun dried tomato bagel. I love weird sandwich combos.
Lauren recently posted..A Fathers Day Confession

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oh wow, I want to make that grilled cheese sandwich now! You have great ideas.

And cool idea to share about the wrap up of it all!

28 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I lurveee grilled sandwiches. We used to have a panini press growing up and they used to make such fun grilled cheeses. I bet a grilled dessert sandy would be good too.. Mmm, now I want one!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Planes- trains- and automobiles

29 Kristy June 20, 2011 at 9:10 pm

that sandwich looks delicious –

you know what this blog has been missing lately? a cute jack russell…just saying! 😀