Take Me Out to the Ball Game

by Meghann on June 19, 2011

Yesterday was a GREAT his and her day.

The Champions Mud Bash in the morning for her.

DSCF6774.JPG

(Derek didn’t dig the early wake up call, long drive, and HOT conditions.)

And a Tampa Bay Rays Baseball game for him.

The boy LOVES his baseball (and the Rays!), but the games are a little far to get to as often as we’d like on a typical weeknight. After we both were showered and well napped this afternoon we randomly decided to head to St. Pete to watch the Rays take on the Florida Marlins.

Best part? The stadium is completely enclosed and air conditioned!!!!

Our ac is still on the fritz (we’re getting a new one next week!!!!!!!!), so I was more than happy to tag along for what Derek politely referred to as my “$15 evening of AC.” Other people may have a problem with the enclosed stadium, but I, for one, am a big fan!

Before we left I had a refreshing peach.

I brought the big bag out last night.

aka I’m too cheap to spend $15 on food that is going to give me heartburn

with tickets in hand we headed inside

Check out this face of pure bliss. We hadn’t been to a baseball game together in two years (linked here), wayyyyy too long!

The beer selection at Tropicana Field was actually pretty good I ordered a Cigar City Jai Alai (it’s a local brew) and enjoyed every sip of it.

Sure it was an $8 beer, but it was 100x better than a $7 Bud Light. πŸ™‚

Our seats were pretty amazing for $15. We had the perfect view of the whole field and were able to catch all the action from up above.

IMG_0072.jpg

I love date night. I spent the whole evening quizzing Derek on all things baseball from the backgrounds of different players on the team, to why they were doing ‘such and such’ at the moment, and even on his own experiences with baseball in his youth. The required *knock, knock* of cups before every game was a personal favorite. πŸ˜‰

When my tummy began to rumble, I brought out my prepared dinner.

Derek made a joke about having a complete meal when he assumed I was just bringing snack. Rookie.

It was really just as a last minute concoction of everything I had in the fridge. I believe there was green beans, carrots, olives, mushrooms, peanuts, and tabouli. Hey, it worked!

I, also, brought a bag of pretzels.

And ‘borrowed’ some mustard from the concession stand.

What’s better than pretzels and mustard at a baseball game? πŸ˜‰

The Rays WON! YAY!!!!!! And we headed back to our un- air conditioned condo. Boo.

Rest Day

Today is my rest day. Good too because climbing over hay barrels messed with my back. Why am I so sore today? Weird.

I took Maddie for a walk and made smoothies for breakfast.

In the mix:

• Frozen Mango
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Silken Tofu
  • Peanut Butter
  • Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (Whole Foods Brand)
  • Chia Seeds
  • Milk

Topped with granola

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY

Ben's album 010.jpg

Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful Dad’s out there. Especially my Dad because raising 4 kids isn’t easy and raising 4 kids that all turn into successful adults and still want to spend time with you? Shoot. Dad – I don’t know how you did it, but you ROCK!

OF course, I won worst daughter of the year award this morning.

Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 8.20.14 AM.png

This is when living on the other side of the state from your parents is tough. πŸ™

If I could I would be over there this weekend, but the timing just didn’t work out. I will be home next weekend (for a wedding) and I promise to make waffles and omelets! πŸ™‚

And, don’t let my Dad fool you – he’s never one to stay out of the kitchen.

LOVE YOU DAD!!!!!!!

1 Tami June 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

$15 for baseball tickets, the Red Sox are triple that I think? I finished my first half ironman yesterday, i will email you with some tips

2 Alicia at Poise in Parma June 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

Isn’t it crazy how you can spend $8 on a beer and only $15 on a ticket? I think at the Cleveland Indians games, there are even cheaper seats that that – same for the beer and the admission!

Congrats on the Mud Bash – definitely looks like you had a great Saturday.
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..my guest post on Attune Foods’ daily digest blog- I Should Have Listened To My Body

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

Baseball games are the best part of summer (in my opinion ;)). However, you were super smart to bring your own dinner! Definitely going to do that the next time I head to the ballpark! πŸ˜€
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..An Out Of This World Opportunity

4 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. June 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

I love how you packed a whole dinner. I totally do that, especially when I travel. People look at me like I’m cra-ha-zy, but whatever.

I second the AC stadium. Shit, if we can even fill the stadium in the middle of summer in the AC, who wants to go if it was outdoors? That would be torture.
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Bottle Filling Stations

5 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 19, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m going to the Rays game today with my dad for Father’s Day! (and my Mama because today is her birthday, wheee! And good to know they have some Cigar City brews, I loves me some Maduro, hopefully they have that. Why do you put tofu in your smoothie? I’ve always wondered why people put tofu in desserts and sweet things.
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Ways to Save- Gym Memberships

6 Stephanie June 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

did you say TOFU was in your smoothie?!

looks like ya’ll had fun at the game, enjoy your rest day
Stephanie recently posted..Sister Date

7 Amy June 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

Looks like a really fun day for you both! I love that you and Derek found 2 really fun activities to do that you’d both like. πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Waka Waka and J Biebs

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Happy father’s day to your dad!! And pretzels + mustard + beer are necessary for a baseball game. The last time I went to a game was 10 years ago! I saw so many Reds games because they were so cheap since they weren’t exactly a great team πŸ˜‰
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Alternatives

9 Mary June 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

How fun! I havent been to a professional Baseball game in years!
Mary recently posted..How to Roast the Perfect Veggie

10 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

Isn’t it weird watching baseball indoors?
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Hello Appetite

11 Ashley @ the fit academic June 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

awww, sounds like you guys had such a fun day yesterday!!! I know what you mean about living away from fam. I live 3 states away – it can be tough!
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..Compromises

12 Ali @ Ali Runs June 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

What a fun night! I am going to a game in Pittsburgh next weekend and can’t wait. I may have to pull a ‘Meghann’ and bring all the food I need. Baseball stadiums are way overpriced.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Thursday Track Day

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

Haha, that status update sounds like something my dad would do! I better go make him breakfast before he does πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

14 Clare @ Fitting It All In June 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

I always bring my own food to baseball games too. Last night it was Subway and a Luna Bar! But purchasing beer there is a must…
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Sweet Potato Almond Butter

15 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 19, 2011 at 11:19 am

Haha I love that your Dad is on Facebook…and that he even does status updates! I’ve been trying to get my Dad on FB for sometime now and he hasn’t given in yet.
Carey @ Positively Blonde recently posted..National Geographic to the Rescue

16 Hillary June 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

I would never think to add silken tofu to a smoothie! What a great idea!
Hillary recently posted..Blogspiration

17 Holly @ Pink Runner June 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Awesome πŸ™‚ I never saw the inside of the TB stadium!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Bon Voyage!

18 Marissa June 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Haha, maybe I’m just being weird, but the pretzel in that last picture that you’re dipping into mustard looks like its smiling. πŸ™‚
Marissa recently posted..Storm’s Brewin’

19 Christine June 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm

An indoor stadium- hmmm… It makes sense in Florida, though. And tickets are so cheap!

20 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh, that baseball game looked fun!

I always get a hot dog when I go to a baseball game – even if it does give me heartburn πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sunday morning dim sum

21 michelle June 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm

WOW you are lucky! My husband and i went to seattle for the mariners game on Friday night and our bags were searched and any food we brought and drinks we brought (I had water…. it was only water!) had to be thrown out πŸ™
michelle recently posted..Marathon Weekend and a little Flashback

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm

awwww what a sweet post!

I always, always take food to activities where the food could be sketch. GOOD call!

23 Jessica June 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm

My back is killing me today too… I thought it was because maybe I slept funny in the car, but maybe it was jumping over those hay bales! It was really nice to meet you, btw! You are a lot tinier in person and even prettier πŸ™‚

24 Meghann June 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm

It was great meeting you too! And yes – I am a shortie!

25 Melissa @ Mouth Watering Morsel June 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

your dad is so cute!! (:

26 Alaina June 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I need to go down to Tropicana Field to watch the Rays play the Red Sox. $15 is hard to get up here in Boston!
Alaina recently posted..Red Lantern and a Lightbulb

27 Lauren June 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I was just sitting here reading this post and my husband was sitting beside me and immediately glanced over and said “Oh that’s the Ray’s stadium.” LoL, he’s quite the baseball connoisseur too!

Glad you and Derek enjoyed a wonderful date night. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..A Fathers Day Confession

28 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love that you brought your own meal bowl to the game! Both of the local teams in NYC have brand new stadiums and the food is SO expensive (good, but expensive). I’d be happy to sneak some of my own food in and save my money for my favorite ballpark treat — Carvel soft serve in a mini Mets helmet!

29 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 20, 2011 at 10:45 am

Looks like a perfect day!! I remember one time I went to a sporting event or movie or something and brought a box of chicken fried rice. Needless to say, my fellow attendees were impressed. Silly rookies, sneaking in their cheez-its only.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday