Bonefish Grill

by Meghann on June 19, 2011

Oh, Bonefish…

So many memories, so little time. πŸ™‚

Back in college my roommates and i had a thing for Bonefish. It was our go to place for fancy occasions, special dates and when ever we felt like dressing up.

100_1368.JPG

(Flashback circa 2005 with sophomore roommate Jordan)

We were all obsessed with bang bang shrimp, lilly chicken, and the house salads that came with every meal. Back then it was the best thing our limited college student budgets could buy!

100_1371.JPG

(such babies!)

Then – when we all graduated and my roommates all moved away (sad face :() – I sort of forgot about Bonefish. It’s funny how a place that was such an important place to your college experience (I think Chili’s falls in this category too) suddenly becomes a thing of the past.

Tonight I was able to revisit that past when we met Derek’s parents at Bonefish in celebration of Father’s Day.

I’m sad I was unable to celebrate Father’s Day with my own Dad today, but it was nice to have a back up to celebrate with.

And thank you for all the kind comments about the dress! It’s from Target and I love it too! πŸ™‚

IMG_0106.jpg

Nothing much has changed about Bonefish in the 4 years since my last visit. They still have bang bang shrimp and they still Lilly Chicken, but now the house salads cost extra. Pshhh…

The bread wasn’t as puffy as I remember either, but it was still of the pull and tear variety

And still served with an herb and olive oil dip.

Butter? We don’t need no stinkin butter – olive oil is where it’s at! πŸ™‚

After a 4 year absence I thought I should try something new – the Salmon and Asparagus Salad instantly caught my attention. Salmon, goat cheese, asparagus, tomatoes, and greens beans with a citrus vinaigrette dressing.

I really enjoyed it! I was after something light and this fit the bill. However, the salmon was a tad overcooked, but I mainly ate the greens and cheese anyways and let Derek finish the rest.

Overall, it was a great meal with great company, just as Bonefish was always meant to be.

Belly Button Revisited

When Derek and I returned home I discovered a package waiting in the mailbox.

Sonya from BellyCharms.com had read my post on my belly button ring dilemma and offered to send me some new rings. (She actually specializes in maternity belly button rings that are ridiculously cute, so I suggest checking them out if you’re expecting or you know someone who is expecting.)

After a week with no belly button ring, I’ve decided my belly looks naked without it. It’s one piece of my youth I’m not quite ready to give up yet. Thank you Sonya for reminding me of that.

Now I feel complete again. πŸ™‚

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm

yey for putting the belly button ring back in! I wish I hadn’t been so lazy and let my piercing close up!

So glad you had such a lovely day and you do look beautiful in that dress, as always πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Best Laid Plans for Fathers’ Day

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Ahhhhh girl you are so pretty! I do like Bonefish, but I agree — the salmon is always so overcooked!! Their salads aren’t too awful though, I just wish that the food was a bitttt more high quality for the price πŸ˜‰
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Reader’s Request- Exercise Recovery!

3 michelle June 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

That dress is adorable. The salmon looks good
michelle recently posted..Marathon Weekend and a little Flashback

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Ooo Bonefish Grill looks delicious! And I felt naked without my belly button ring for a while – I’m used to it now though!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crazy day at the vegan cafe

5 Dori June 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Cute belly rings! When I need a new one I will definitely go to that site. Your din looks yum.
Dori recently posted..Focus On- Core Fusion at The Fitnessista

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

After a week without any ring in did the hole start to close up at all? I know an earring wouldn’t but for some reason I seem to think a belly button would close up really quickly!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

7 Meghann June 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

Nope, it didn’t close up at all. It was a little tough to put the ring in, but nothing one good push couldn’t handle. πŸ™‚

8 Leslie M June 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Ok can u give away the ones u don’t use (2 me I’ll take one wink wink loyal follower!! )

9 Amy June 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

So cute! I had my ring in for 7 years and never ONCE changed it out. I wish I had!
Amy recently posted..truth fact

10 Ashley June 19, 2011 at 10:15 pm

LOVE the dress. And love the belly button ring! Your tummy is so flat and toned…I’m sure it looks wonderful!

11 Bee Goes Bananas June 19, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Happy Father’s Day! I love your dress!!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..Gruel

12 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Mmm Bonefish’s bang bang shrimp and pomegranate martini is all I need!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Pizzeria Valdiano

13 Coach Brian June 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I definitely loves me some Bonefish Gril. My wife and I have dined there on our last two anniversaries. The waitress even remembered us even though it had been a year between visits.
Coach Brian recently posted..Back on the treadmill again

14 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm

<3 that Target dress, it totally looks like one I got from Zara (although probably half the price.. haha)
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..11 Miles Later…

15 Laura June 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Yummy looking salad! I have such a craving for salmon at the moment, which is weird because I’ve only had it three times in my entire life and it took until the third time, when it was cooked properly, to warm up to it! πŸ™‚

How tall are you, if you don’t mind my asking? You look so teeny in photos.

16 Meghann June 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’m 5’4″ (on a good day πŸ˜‰ ) I’m pretty short in person.

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm

oh funn!!! I love a good salad πŸ™‚

18 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Cute. I love Bonefish, too. Old school.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Quinoa Vegetable Bake

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I love Target dresses! That’s where I buy all of mine πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

20 Sonya - Belly Charms June 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for the mention and I am so glad your belly is no longer naked! Have a great week and I am going to have to share your post too! πŸ™‚
Sonya – Belly Charms recently posted..Mens Health Magazine Only 12 for A One Year Subscription

21 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I’ve only been to Bonefish a few times, and I think their Bang Bang Shrimp is out of this world!!!

But your Bonefish was definitely my Cheesecake Factory πŸ™‚ That place was always packed on the weekends!

Happy Father’s Day to Derek’s dad πŸ˜€
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Alternatives

22 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 20, 2011 at 12:04 am

Bonefish never gets old! And I DO love your dress, so cute and summery!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW &amp The Story- Part II

23 Melissa @ Mouth Watering Morsel June 20, 2011 at 1:16 am

cute belly button ring!
Melissa @ Mouth Watering Morsel recently posted..Running Shoes

24 Jemma @ celery and cupcakes June 20, 2011 at 1:36 am

You look so cute in your dress. It’s great to go back to your old haunts as they bring back so many memories.
Jemma @ celery and cupcakes recently posted..Smoothies- Salads and Compote!

25 Katie June 20, 2011 at 6:01 am

My family went to Bonefish too to celebrate…though here in GA…bang bang shrimp is always a go-to favorite. They have the pesto recipe online too if you like it…the secret kalamata olives.

26 Lauren June 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

I have only been to Bonefish a few times but I’ve always enjoyed it. Bummer about the salmon being overcooked. That is the worst when they overcook salmon. I think its meant to be a tad underdone but so many people don’t realize that. It completely changes the taste when its overcooked.
Lauren recently posted..A Fathers Day Confession

27 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 20, 2011 at 7:16 am

I love your dress! Where did you get it??

I’ve passed by Bonefish quite a few times but never been there before (we don’t have it in D.C. but it’s in FL where my boyfriend is living right now)… I may have to convince him that we need to go there next time I’m in town! πŸ˜‰ PS Good for you on the belly button ring- you should do what makes YOU happy, forget about society or what other people think is appropriate for your age.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Planes- trains- and automobiles

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 20, 2011 at 7:19 am

I was just at Bonefish with my parents last week. I love that place! The Chilean sea bass is awesome, even if it is way more expensive than the rest of the stuff on the menu…
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Best Dinner Ever

29 Lee June 20, 2011 at 7:58 am

I feel that way about TGI Friday’s. It was a huge part of my high school/college experience. I haven’t been in years though.
Lee recently posted..Vacation Prep

30 Hope June 20, 2011 at 8:20 am

I went to the Bonefish last week. I love the bang bang shrimp! Definitely the best part of the entire meal! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Cupcakes &amp A Trip to Maryland…

31 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love Bonefish Grill! First off, they have a great happy hour! And second, the Bang Bang shrimp are so yummy!
Carey @ Positively Blonde recently posted..National Geographic to the Rescue

32 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 20, 2011 at 8:56 am

Ahhh Bonefish, I remember Bonefish! I also used to go there in college, in Tallahassee. I loved Chili’s back then too, the 2 -4 – 1 drink specials were the best thing ever for poor college students! Their bread is sooo delicious.
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..The Four Seasons of Cancer continued

33 Ali @ Ali Runs June 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

I love Bonefish Grill! My cousin works there so sometimes when we go she can get us a little discount! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Thursday Track Day

34 Anne P June 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

Awww I miss Bonefish!!!!!

p.s. I have that dress πŸ˜‰

35 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

What a cute dress!! Your salad also look awesome!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Weekly Plan- June 20-26

36 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

We don’t have a Bonefish near us, but it’s sexy older cousin, Rockfish Seafood Grill, is basically my second home. Their Volcano Shrimp (which I imagine is just like the bang bang shrimp) is to die for, and on the occasions that I actually get the meal, I always feel like it lives up to my dreams!

Fish and bones aside, your belly button looks at peace with the world, glad it’s not naked anymore!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

37 Katie June 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Yum, Bonefish! We are pretty much regulars there; I’m a sucker for grouper, mahi, or tilapia cooked pan-Asian style…so delish!

If you aren’t already signed up, you should definitely fill out either their info card or go online to sign up for their offers. On the month of your birthday, you get a free bang bang shrimp card sent to you, and on the month of your anniversary you get a $10 gift card! Haha, I also never really knew that tidbit of info until I started my current job, which happens to be related to those cards…I had been missing out on this knowledge for too long!
Katie recently posted..Weekend Wrap-up

38 Jamie@everydaydolce June 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Love the belly button ring, so cute!! and I love bonefish…bang bang shrimp are where it’s at πŸ™‚
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..A Wedding tale

39 Hilary June 20, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Mmmmm….LOVE Bonefish! One of the best parts of vacation for my family!
Hilary recently posted..Quick Pizza Post

40 BroccoliHut June 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Seth and I love Bonefish! There’s one just around the corner from my apartment, so we like to walk there for a sunset dinner:)

41 Kelly June 20, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’m lurking and have never commented before.. Its a coincidence I went to Bonefish in orl for father’s day as well. I also have a belly button ring which i love and would feel naked without it. anyways, have a great week!