Champions Mud Bash

by Meghann on June 18, 2011

We came. We ran. We got MUDDY!

DSCF6774.JPG

Mine and Derek’s first mud run was a huge success! It may not have been the best mud run out there (the course was really dry and the obstacles were few and far between), but we had a great time and that’s what counts!

Now, I’m itching to do the 12 mile+ Tough Mudder in Tampa in December. Who’s with me? ;)

The Champions Mud Bash was set up in several waves throughout the day. I’m not sure what I was thinking when I signed us up for the 11:00am wave. Maybe I thought that would give us some time to sleep in since we did have to make the 2 hour drive from Tampa? Who knows, but it had to of been the hottest wave! THe temps were already creeping into the 90s when we arrived a little after 9:30am! Yikes!

DSCF6677.JPG

Why not get a little work done while getting muddy? I thought it would be fun to film the mud run for an upcoming episode of Meals and Miles on iZonOrlando.com

DSCF6678.JPG

We spent the majority of the time leading up to the race interviewing participants and learning all there is to know about mud runs. I promise to share the link when the show airs on Tuesday!! :)

DSCF6683.JPG

I give my camera crew MAJOR PROPS it was HOT and they took it with stride!

DSCF6688.JPG

Just before 11:00 we headed to the start line with the rest of our wave.

DSCF6687.JPG

One last shot before the muddy shenanigans began!

DSCF6685.JPG

Ready or not! It’s time to run!

DSCF6693.JPG

And that’s what we did – we ran. For the first half mile or so it was nothing, but an open field, hot sun, and lots of silence.

DSCF6695.JPG

DSCF6696.JPG

The course was missing music in a bad way. Too bad this guy’s boom box only played air.

DSCF6697.JPG

Our first major obstacle was climbing over a pile of hay – not as easy as it may seem.

DSCF6699.JPG

DSCF6700.JPG

DSCF6702.JPG

And then we walked. It was hot and time was the last thing on my mind. This was a FUN run after all.

DSCF6703.JPG

More open field.

A ‘mine’ field through the cow pasture – trust me – those are mines you want to stay away from.

Some shaded trees.

And FINALLY we saw some mud.

DSCF6708.JPG

I had never been more happy to crawl through mud. Nice, cool mud!

DSCF6709.JPG

DSCF6712.JPG

Squishy feet!

DSCF6713.JPG

DSCF6718.JPG

So. Hot!!!

DSCF6719.JPG

More hay was next.

DSCF6715.JPG

It really took some arm muscle getting over those barrels!

DSCF6717.JPG

DSCF6716.JPG

And just when we couldn’t take the heat any longer, Derek and I saw something wonderful in the horizon…

DSCF6721.JPG

A BEAUTIFUL watery slip-n-slide. We both just wanted to stand in front of the sprinklers and never leave.

DSCF6735.JPG

DSCF6731.JPG

DSCF6727.JPG

Seriously my favorite part of the whole Mud Bash! Derek and I went down it 3 times each and could have easily done more.

DSCF6729.JPG

Also, waterproof digital cameras ROCK!

DSCF6736.JPG

DSCF6737.JPG

DSCF6734.JPG

Mud Love!

DSCF6740.JPG

Unfortunately I hurt my knee trying to stand up after my last time down. It was our cue that it was time to move on.

DSCF6739.JPG

Ouch.

Only a few more obstacles until the end!

DSCF6742.JPG

DSCF6744.JPG

DSCF6746.JPG

DSCF6751.JPG

More hay?!?!?

DSCF6755.JPG

Where’s the mud?!?! They should of called this a hay run!

DSCF6756.JPG

DSCF6758.JPG

By the time we saw the finish line we were both ready to be done. Only two obstacles stood between us and the finish line.

The great fire jump.

DSCF6759.JPG

And mud crawl.

DSCF6762.JPG

DSCF6770.JPG

DSCF6771.JPG

FINISH!

DSCF6767.JPG

We were handed medals and the honor of calling ourselves Mud Bash Champions!

DSCF6769.JPG

There were tanks of water to hose off at, but the lines were WAY too long. It would have been nice to have ONE more cool down though.

DSCF6682.JPG

Champions Mud Bash Review

Location: St. Cloud (aka the middle of no where)

• It was a little out of the way, but I guess a race like this would have to be to accommodate so many people in a muddy setting.
  • I actually assumed it was closer to Tampa then it was and ended up meeting my film crew 30 minutes late. Oops.

Course:

• Ehh.. This was their first year and I’ll give them props for putting on a good show, but the course could use some improvement. It needs MORE obstacles, MORE mud, and MORE entertainment.

Atmosphere:

• LOVED IT! Loved the costumes, loved the crazy people running, loved the music, loved the beer, LOVED IT.

Prizes:

• Did I mention the medal? Bonus points for the medal!

There’s another Champions Mud Bash in the works for South Florida, so I’m hoping they’ve learned from their first event and can tweak the South Florida location based off of that.

Overall I had a blast and really want to try more mud races. There are a TON out there right now – definitely a growing sport! And the Tough Mudder in December really has my attention. Has anyone done that race before? Thoughts?

The Aftermath

We headed straight to the car for a quick change.

DSCF6783.JPG

Bye, Bye muddy shoes!

DSCF6777.JPG

DSCF6781.JPG

Much better!

A shared post race snack.

DSCF6782.JPG

Then we hit the road for FOOD!

This was a Derek approved find on the road. :)

I ordered the grilled chicken tender sandwich with the cajun sauce.

I adore restaurants that have homemade potato chips. Yum!

Get in my belly!

Want to know the best part about volunteering to drive the way to the Mud Bash? Being able to sleep on the way home. It’s a beautiful thing.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

1 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

You guys rock!! I would have only done the water slide ;-)
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Pop over- popover

2 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run June 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm

The heat was the ONLY reason I didn’t do this one! My hubs and I did the Warrior Dash in January and it was a PERFECT day but I was still super hot. I couldn’t imagine June. Maybe try that one next year? They have 13 obstacles and you hit the first one after a quarter mile I believe. It was SO FUN. We’re doing it again next year. Join us! :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Post That Almost Wasn’t

3 michelle June 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Looks fun! I want to do one
michelle recently posted..Marathon Weekend and a little Flashback

4 fit chick britt June 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Its been so hot and tough to run in houston too! Looks like yall had tons of fun though.

5 Sam @ Savage Race June 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Awesome review! Looking forward to seeing the Meals & Miles crew at Savage Race!

6 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups June 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Just thinking about your run in the 11 am Florida heat makes me feel dehydrated. Way to rock it!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in- chicken kabobs

7 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

That actually looks like fun! When I read the title I wasn’t so sure I would be interested in something like a mud bash but if it was warm out and I got to cool off every so often I would definitely sign up for one :)
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Ummmm…Choices Part Two

8 The Teenage Taste June 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm

That looked like SO MUCH FUN! I’m sure that’s an experience you’ll never forget!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Holy Guacamole- It’s Summer!

9 Carissa June 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Love the blog! I can’t believe you ran with your camera. We were at 830 and it was hot then. I can’t imagine 11.
Carissa recently posted..Thriving in a gluten-free world

10 Carol June 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

:) Looks like you had a great time!

11 Courtney June 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Haha, I love that you said St. Cloud is the middle of nowhere. I used to live there and, believe it or not, it’s grown a lot. ;) Glad you enjoyed getting muddy!
Courtney recently posted..Oh- Tri Training!

12 Holly @ Pink Runner June 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm

That is so cool you could carry your camera through the race! It was great seeing all the different parts to the race and you looked great!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Bon Voyage!

13 Courtney W June 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Looks like a lot of fun! Shame the course wasn’t muddier. Hopefully you’ll get your fill of mid through 12 miles in December.

14 Monika June 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

That looks like so much fun! Kudos on not mudding up your camera ;)

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Whoa that looks like it was a blast! I agree, I wanna see more mud! ;)

I LOVE sleeping in cars!

16 Christine June 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I did one today too and it was so so so dirty! The first 3.5 miles were dry and uphill in the heat, and then remaining 2.7 were mud. Fun, but the shower situation after was horrid.
Christine recently posted..This is Very – adjective

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

The water slide looks like so much fun! I’ve always wanted to do one of these courses. Haven’t found one close by yet though.

18 Val June 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Wow! That looks like a lot of work/fun. Can’t wait to see the show! Geaux Meals and Miles!

19 Sana June 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Yay! I would totally love to do one, but I would worry about getting a weird injury!
Sana recently posted..The Elbow Diet

20 erica June 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm

that looks like so much fun!!!! i don’t think my other half would like it though…he’s such a neat/clean freak. i don’t think he could handle the mud! LOL

21 April @AdventureApril June 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm

The Mud Bash looks like a lot of fun! There’s a similar race here locally, called the High Rock Challenge, but it’s done in teams. I bet it would be just as fun–I really need to check it out!

The Slip ‘n Slide seems like a fantastic option after all that mud.
(And I have to say, those medals are fabulous. Nice touch.)
April @AdventureApril recently posted..The Party That Never Stops

22 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Too fun!!! My allergies would be a hot mess with all that hay though, lol.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Hello Appetite

23 Lee June 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Looks really similar to the Warrior Dash, which I did in May and was super fun. Regarding the Tough Mudder, there is one obstacle that literally shocks you, that totally freaks me out.
Lee recently posted..Vacation Prep

24 Laura June 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I totally want to do a Tough Mudder. They will have one in Seattle next year and I think I will go for the Orange Headband next year!
Laura recently posted..Food Cart Friday and Random Thoughts

25 trina collins June 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Way to rock the 1st Annual Champion Mud Bash in St. Cloud, Florida:O)
Love the pictures :O)
It was such an amazing time:O)

26 Ali @ Ali Runs June 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Wow, I could not imagine running something like that in 90* heat! I give you major props, I’m sure I would have been on the water slide a lot longer than you guys! ;)
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Thursday Track Day

27 Grace June 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Wow that looks likes so much fun…but I don’t know how we;; I would have done in that heat! I looked at stuff about the tough mudder and I for one know I am not that tough. I would not run through the whole electrical field thing…no way!
Grace recently posted..Super Booda Birthday Celebrations!

28 Hilary June 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

IT still looks like fun…especially the slip ‘n slide! I am not sure how I feel about mud runs though. But I’m pretty sure I know how I’d feel about those chips….DELICIOUS!
Hilary recently posted..Keepin’ ‘em guessin’

29 rootberry June 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Cool blog, we just posted a video about our championsmudbash, we did the 9am. It’s on the Rootberry youtube channel, I don’t want to spam you with a link.

30 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I don’t know if I could ever do something like that- all that mud doesn’t seem appealing! One of my old co-workers put together a team for a mud run next month and I opted out, but I would love to spectate :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Just Beet It

31 Joanne June 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Your race looks so funn!!!! What kind of water camera do you have???

32 Samantha June 19, 2011 at 12:16 am

A bunch of my friends completed the Tough Mudder last year (when I was recovering from ACL surgery)! They had a blast and all but one finished. It’s not to be taken lightly though — they trained for a few months for it! And you have to sign death waivers before you compete in it — one of the guys at my school signed up and ended up breaking his leg during one of the obstacles! Everyone said it’s a lot of fun as long as you’re smart during the race and you train beforehand. I want to do it in 2012!
Samantha recently posted..Painting Like a Pro

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 19, 2011 at 12:50 am

How fun!! But I agree, if it’s called a mud bash, there SHOULD be more mud!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW &amp The Story- Part II

34 Hayley @ Hayley Daily June 19, 2011 at 3:55 am

Great photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun. :)
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Current Obsessions

35 Cara June 19, 2011 at 5:46 am

That looks like a blast! It seems like everyone is doing mud runs lately! That was always my favorite part about Cross Country, when it rained you got super muddy!
I’m also a sucker for homemade potato chips :)

36 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 19, 2011 at 7:50 am

You guys are troopers. I’m not a fan of running in the heat. Looks like fun though!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Quinoa Vegetable Bake

37 Stephanie June 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Wow crazy maybe not for me but very impressive. Plus I did not get to comment on your last post of wood fire pizza, oh my that looks soooo good, wish I was in florida to have some!
Stephanie recently posted..The Blame Game

38 Sarah K June 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm

wow looks like you guys had fun! I’m surprised it wasn’t muddier though. That slip n slide sounds amazing right now.
Sarah K recently posted..Summer Thoughts

39 Brecken Bowland June 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I did the 9 am wave and it was still hot. I was hoping for more mud, less poop and less hay. Warrior Dash and MuddyBuddy were way better. The parking was horrible. My civic got all scratched up in that field of poo. And refreshments? Everyone I’ve ever done there are oranges, bananas, bottled water, etc, in addition to the beer tent. I sure hope the bulk of our entry fee went to save the ta ta’s bc I really can’t tell where else it went. I’m looking forward to the run in Tampa but I won’t do MudBash aka hay bash again.

40 Brandi June 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm

It looks like you guys had fun! I really like the variation of obstacles in this run. I did the Redneck Mud Run in Punta Gorda FL ( 1 1/2 hrs south of Tampa) a couple weeks ago. It had 17 obstacles which were mostly mud related and there was soooo much sand on the “running” part of the course. They are doing it again in March 2012.

41 Amy @ love4living June 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Haha I love some of the outfits people wore. The course def seems like it could have used a little more ‘something’
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Sht that’s Annoying Grocery Edition

42 Karolina June 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm

This looks like such a fun race! Thanks for sharing so many pictures of it:)
Karolina recently posted..Happy Fathers Day!

43 Anne P June 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

FUNNNN!!! Love the slip n slide! That sounds like “Rugged Maniac” race Tina, Heather, and I did here in NC. It was WAY muddier though, haha.

44 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’d like to know where are the races that are just a course full of awesome water slides/sprinkler runs? Sign me up for those!!

Also, sign me up for anywhere with homemade potato chips. Maybe as part of the race. Yummy.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

45 Yacine June 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Haha that’s the coolest race ever! It looks like so much fun!!!
Yacine recently posted..From Bad to Good

46 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Awesome!!! I love mud runs! I’m training for one this September, and I did a Tough Mudder last October. It was so challenging, but a lot of fun. You should definitely do a Tough Mudder!
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..Happy Father’s Day

47 Courtney June 20, 2011 at 11:32 pm

my brother and i are doing the tough mudder in VA… i’m nervous about the electric shocks!!!
Courtney recently posted..Just a typical Friday grocery run at 730am

48 Heidi July 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Awesome documentation of the day! A friend and I are going to do the one in November. We would like to know who took your pictures along the way? Did one of you carry a camera and what kind did you use?

49 Meghann July 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I have a waterproof camera that my boyfriend and I took turns taking pictures of each other with or we politely asked someone else to take a photo for us.