Return to Mad Dogs

by Meghann on June 16, 2011

I’m addicted to smoothies. πŸ™‚

They’re cold, they’re refreshing, they makes great breakfasts, and they make great snacks. πŸ™‚

I cooled down with on this afternoon.

• Frozen Mango
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (Whole Foods Brand)

All blended to perfection and topped with a little granola.

The smoothie tamed my hunger until my 7:00pm dinner date with Tampa friend, Sarah.

We were suppose to go to Pane Rustica because I’m obsessed with their sandwiches and baked goods….

However, I didn’t realize they turn into a uber fancy $$ restaurant at night. Eh.

Instead we headed down the road to Mad Dogs and Englishmen for a much cheaper – and equally as tasty – dining option.

Mad Dogs has a special place in my heart. I only went there once with Jenna and Anne two years ago (FLASHBACK), but the memory of how great the food was never escaped me. It’s in an odd location that I would never casually drive by, so it was fun to actually seek it out and eat there again.

It’s funny how the menu hasn’t changed a bit in two years. Fine by me – that way I knew exactly what I wanted

IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG !

Sarah and I decided to split a pizza and a salad.

Can you believe this is 1/2 of the salad? A) I love that they were kind enough to split it in the kitchen (without us asking!) B) I loved how large the portion was for such a great price ($7!) C) It tasted pretty amazing too!

The Arugula & Spinach Pizza was pretty amazing too.

The grilled crust made for a nice, chewy bread and the feta, tomatoes, and mixed gave a nice fresh flavor.

For two people, the price wasn’t bad either.

That wouldn’t have even covered one meal at the dinner version of Pane Rustica! I told Sarah she has to go back for lunch though – their sandwiches are really delicious. πŸ˜‰

On my way home I stopped at Berryism to take advantage of the Living Social Deal that just keeps on giving.

I purchased the $25 deal months ago and have been slowly making my way through it.

I love how every time you use it they attach a receipt that let’s you know the remaining balance. I give them MAJOR props for not forcing you to use the whole deal at once like most places would.

My small Peanut Butter and Chocolate Fro-Yo with Reeses Pieces and Raspberries

Did you know I worked for the local newspaper when I first graduated college? I did ad sales and worked with the major media accounts for the paper. I learned a lot in the short year I worked at the paper, but one thing that still sticks is how valuable local papers are for discovering new things in the area.

In Tampa, I’m a big fan of Creative Loafing.

It’s a great [free] local paper that covers upcoming events, restaurant reviews, local happenings, etc. I always pick up a copy when I can and also subscribe to their RSS feed and follow them on twitter. πŸ™‚

I LOVED that this week was the Food Issue. As I flipped the paper, while eating my Fro-Yo, I was inspired to try at least a dozen new (to me) places around town.

I think I’m going to write them all down, so the next time someone wants to meet me for lunch – I’ll have some places to pick from instead going “ummmmmmmm” πŸ˜‰

What was your first job out of school? Did you learn a lot or were you banging your head against the desk in boredom?

1 Hilary June 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm

My first “real” job out of school was as a teacher! Mmm…nothing better than pizza and salad…and great deal too! So jealous of your fro yo!

2 Grace June 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m quite there yet! I just hope I have a job when I graduate next Spring!
Grace recently posted..Super Booda Birthday Celebrations!

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Wow that is an awesome deal for dinner! And pizza and salad is a classic.

I never get my local paper delivered anymore, though I know it should. But the writing is pretty terrible lol.
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Underage Drinking

4 Kathryn June 16, 2011 at 10:50 pm

My favorite at Mad Dogs and Englishmen is the pecan crusted brie. IN. SANE.
Kathryn recently posted..Clearly Im In A Hotel With Nothing Better To Do

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm

yey for inexpensive dining! πŸ™‚

My first job out of college was a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. Then I decided I needed a change and went to culinary school and so on and so forth πŸ˜›

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm

My first job out of college — at Jenny Craig as a counselor. Yep!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

7 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I used to work at a henna shop after high school, painting shoebies at the shore! It was actually my dream job, and if I could do that for the rest of my life (you know, and get a reasonable salary/benefits/etc) I would. Alas, we all must grow up eventually…. but henna, you will always be in my heart!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

8 Lindsey June 16, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I was a Marketing Assistant for a bank. I did learn alot about the different area of Marketing and was able to find my niche, which led to my current job as a Events Coordinator.
Lindsey recently posted..Disappearing Act

9 Christine June 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm

My first job out of school is what I do now- teaching. Through school I worked as an admin assistant for a vascular surgeon at UCLA.
Christine recently posted..This is Very – adjective

10 emily June 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

My first real job was as a teacher! (7th and 8th grade English at a school in East New York)
emily recently posted..Which Resulted In…

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm

My first real job is the same job I have right now! In fact, it was 7 years on Tuesday. Crazy!

12 Laura June 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

My first job out of school was part time at American Eagle. I HATED IT. Then I was a receptionist, then I got into accounting and finance.

BTW, my dog Leland looks so much like Maddie. They could be twins πŸ™‚

13 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 17, 2011 at 12:11 am

I do love fro yo but that fro yo looks EXTRA amazing!!!
My first job OUT of school? Weellll I’m still in school but I’ve done a variety of babysitting, nannying, tutoring, waitressing, and working at a farm <- random much?
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW &amp The Story- Part II

14 anne June 17, 2011 at 12:16 am

i hope you tipped the fro-yo employees!

i’m still working on my undergraduate degree in sociology. after that it’s grad school for either education or social work.

my first job in high school was at a little independent movie theatre. i moved across the country to go to college, and have been working at a little independent video store the past 3 years.

15 Sophie June 17, 2011 at 3:04 am

I worked for a marketing company when I first graduated, which was fun enough, but not at all what I wanted to be doing. Then I moved on to my current job as a PA – still not what I want to be doing but still pretty fun and better pay. And now I have a job as a teacher to start in Sept (what I’m actually trained in!) and I can’t wait! πŸ˜€
ps – thanks so much for the email reply – I’ll try some yoga!
Sophie recently posted..The One That Got Away

16 Carol June 17, 2011 at 4:53 am

First real job was a Youth Director at a YMCA! I loved it! I lived at home, made $21,000/year, got to play with kids all day, loved my coworkers, loved my schedule-basically made my own hours. It was a great first job.

17 Christine @ Burning It Off June 17, 2011 at 5:47 am

I’m currently in my first “big girl” job and luckily it’s one where I’m learning a lot. I’ve had other desk jobs while in school that were boring and not challenging at all…. it makes the day go by so much faster when you have a lot to do and the work requires you to use your brain a little!
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Surviving the Work Week

18 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 17, 2011 at 6:40 am

If you had to spend the $25 at once, that’d be a lot of froyo! My friar job out of college was my dream job! Doing communications for a large theme park/entertainment company. I’ve since switched companies for a great opportunity but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..White Wolf CafΓ©

19 Lauren June 17, 2011 at 6:58 am

I have worked for the same company for 8 years which I love but my first job with them was a Marketing Intern. I absolutely loved it! I actually credit my entire career to that experience.
Lauren recently posted..Feels Like Rain

20 Hillary June 17, 2011 at 7:01 am

My first job out of college is the job I’m currently working—middle school teacher! If there’s one thing I can say about my job, it’s that no day is ever, ever boring ; ) Thirteen year olds really know how to keep you on your toes!
Hillary recently posted..A New Early Routine

21 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

My first job out of school was as a NASA contractor. It was actually pretty cool.

22 Lee June 17, 2011 at 7:58 am

My first job out of school was also for a newspaper. I worked in the marketing art department and designed ads.

Love Creative Loafing, we also have it here in Atlanta.

23 Hope June 17, 2011 at 8:36 am

That smoothie looks so tasty! πŸ™‚ Oh, and that frozen yogurt deal is amazing!

My first job out of college is where I am still working right now. I’ve been there for just about 5 years.
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

24 Monika June 17, 2011 at 8:36 am

I’m still in school, so I’ll have to get back to you on that one!

But as an undergraduate I work as an administrative assistant for an international company specializing in military and technological equipment

25 Anne P June 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

Awww I miss that restaurant! And you and Jenna <3

Hopefully someday the 3 of us can return πŸ™‚

26 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 17, 2011 at 9:37 am

LOVE the FSU cup! Go Noles πŸ™‚
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Five for Friday – Traveling for Work

27 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life June 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

Unfortunatly I was banging my head on my desk in my cubible every day since day #1 at my first job… thank god I was able to get out of there after only 1 year!

28 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 17, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’ve had the exact smoothie but used vanilla protein powder instead. I’ll have to give it a try with the chocolate!
Carey @ Positively Blonde recently posted..Jalapeno Flavored

29 Elisabeth June 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

My first real job out of college is my current one! I’ve been a clinical lab scientist at a hospital for the last 7 years. I like what I do, but it has started to get monotonous the last couple years. I’m trying to determine whether I’m going back to school for a grad program or do I want to move to a new area of the country for a different job in the same field (I live in rural Ohio & there aren’t really any other large hospitals for me to work for).

30 Sarah K June 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yummm that all looks so good. I’m still in college so I don’t know what my first job will be, or what part of the country it will be in. I’m hoping to graduate in about a year and a half and then move somewhere new. I love my hometown but I want to venture elsewhere for a while.
Sarah K recently posted..When Bad turns to Good- Part 2

31 Lauren June 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I loved Tampa’s Creative Loafing…admittedly I still read it (online) on a pretty regular basis. πŸ™‚

My first ‘real’ post-graduate job was teaching creative writing courses at a not-for-profit downtown center. I did this for several months before I went to grad school, and I enjoyed it.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

32 Alaina June 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm

My first job out of college was going back to Bugaboo Steakhouse. I can NOT eat there again. Shortly after I got a job at a nice hotel in Harvard Square. That’s where I got my concierge start!

33 Joanna @ braverealworld June 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Woo Go Noles! Love your cup!

I just finished a master’s degree, and I’m looking for a job every day!

34 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm

First job out of HS was swim instructor! Love the idea of a great pizza πŸ™‚

35 Allison June 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I work right by that Wood Fired Pizza on Bearss… it’s delicious!! I’ve only been there for lunch but I’ve been meaning to go back for happy hour.