No Trespassing?

by Meghann on June 16, 2011

You know you’re a runner when it’s not even 7:00am and you’ve already been kicked off a local track for trespassing.

No Trespassing Sign? What No Trespassing sign? πŸ˜‰

I met Courtney at a local track early this morning for a quick track workout before she had to be at school for a presentation. Unfortunately the local middle school I usually go to had turned into a construction zone and the track was covered in yellow tape. Boo.

We took our chances and decided to get a quick workout in before the construction site opened for the day and they kicked us out.

Here was the original plan:

• 1200 Warm Up
  • 8 x 400 @ 5k pace w/ 200 rest
  • 800 Cool Down

400s at 5k pace? Why not? I could do that!

Wrong.

Those 400s kicked my booty! I was pushing hard and breathing heavy with each lap. Apparently my ‘5k pace’ isn’t what it used to be. It hurt so good!

Halfway through we decided to knock it down to 6 x 400 instead of the original 8, then – on our 5th lap – the authorities caught onto us and kicked us out.

We knew it was coming, so it was more of a good a laugh then anything else. πŸ™‚

Courtney headed off to school and I finished a 1 mile cool down at home with Maddie.

Final workout:

• 1200 warm up
  • 5 x 400 @ 5k pace w/ 200 rest
  • 1600 cool down

Total mileage for the day: 3.5ish

After my cool down I had a 30 minute date with my foam roller.

IMG_0886.jpg

Again – hurt so good! πŸ˜‰

Breakfast

Bowl of cereal contained

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kix
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • Plain Chobani
  • Peach
  • Cacao Nibs

I ended up adding a heavy sprinkle of cinnamon too. The cinnamon really hit the spot with this bowl. πŸ™‚

Have you ever been kicked off a trail or track for trespassing? This definitely wasn’t my first time – I think it comes with the territory. πŸ˜‰

1 Kara June 16, 2011 at 8:47 am

I go in “do not enter” roads all the time. It’s usually deserted farm roads (i.e. perfect for running) and no one has ever said anything to me. I assume the signs are for cars, not runners πŸ™‚

30 minutes with your foam roller? Do you have a routine you do, because I usually hit all the major areas in less than 10 minutes. Maybe I’m a wimp, but I can’t fathom doing 30 minutes of it!
Kara recently posted..Your mother was a hamster

2 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

I was watching TV, so I took breaks in between rolling. πŸ™‚ It was a very random set of rolling.

3 Hillary June 16, 2011 at 8:48 am

Haha I’ve been kicked out of a playground for trespassing once! Does that count? (And wow, I just realized how much that makes me seem like a child molester. I swear I don’t mean it like that!)
Hillary recently posted..A New Early Routine

4 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

haha – yes, that counts!

5 Mary June 16, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’ve never been kicked off of a trail or anything. there’s a first time for everything though!
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

6 Katie June 16, 2011 at 8:59 am

Ugh tracks are ALWAYS closed here. I say if we spend out hard earned tax dollars we should get to use them! Sorry you got kicked off suprised anyone was around to do it that early!

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 16, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’m kind of a goody goody and so I don’t break rules like that. πŸ™‚
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 16, 2011 at 9:02 am

I was so pissed when my university built a brand new amazing track paid for by my tuition and recreation fund dollars because I quickly found out that the track wasn’t even open for people (even university students!) to use.

I’m STILL mad about that. >(

9 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

That would piss me off too! When I was in college I would take advantage of FSU’s track all the time!

10 michelle June 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

When I lived on Fort Lewis Army Base I was running along a road that was used for the army half marathon a month earlier and totally missed a huge sign that said “stay out. Live rounds fired across the road.” turns out I was running on a road when people were firing their weapons at the ranges that were covered by trees off the roadside. I heard a few shots and explosions but just wrote it off because living on base, I would hear stuff like that all the time. That was until a cruiser rolled up and gave me a lift back to the main post area.
michelle recently posted..New Start

11 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

Whoa! That’s scary!

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

booo for getting kicked out but yey for those delicious cocoa nibs!

Hope you have a great day! πŸ™‚

13 Chad @ thebreakupnote June 16, 2011 at 9:16 am

Man… you criminal. How dare you run on a track!
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..Surprise Pancakes-I Could be An Interior Designer

14 Lizzy June 16, 2011 at 9:19 am

Totally got kicked off the track at our local high school. For a whole summer it was unlocked then they started locking it…boo πŸ™
Lizzy recently posted..Maybe a Sunny Muffin

15 Miranda June 16, 2011 at 9:20 am

Haha. I’ve been kicked out for other stuff when I was a teenager, but not recently πŸ˜€

What is the purpose of a foam roller?

16 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

Here’s an explanation (scroll to the bottom) http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/10/31/we-be-rollin/ but basically it’s just a hard piece of foam you uses to massage or ‘roll’ your muscles out

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 16, 2011 at 9:23 am

You rebel, you!! LOL, nope I’ve never been kicked off a trail before – I’m usually pretty cautious about stuff like that so even if I see a sign that might apply to the trail or wherever I plan to run, I usually change my plans (yes, goody-goody is right!) Have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Starstruck

18 Orla June 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

Not thrown off but chased by cows. Does that count? There is a track near where I live that is a lovely cliff walk and there is an “Enter at your own risk” sign. The fields are used for grazing cattle and during a trail run with my dog, the cows decided that I needed some encouragement! Fun times and who knew I could run that fast?
Orla recently posted..Pan fried Mackerel with New Potatoes &amp Spring onions

19 Amy June 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hahaha that’s happened to me too! Scary!
Amy recently posted..eggs for breakfast

20 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

haha it was your take of the running from the bulls in spain πŸ™‚

21 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

I feel like I’ve been kicked off all sorts of things… volleyball courts, foursquare… squares, basketball courts. Luckily, I avoid tracks like the plague, so that’s one place I can’t foresee getting booted from, thank my lucky stars.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

22 Melissa June 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

Stupid question but … what’s a foam roller for?
Melissa recently posted..Red Oak Grill

23 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

Here’s a better post on it http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/10/31/we-be-rollin/ but it’s basically a cylinder piece of foam that you roll your muscles out with

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 16, 2011 at 9:40 am

We have a local trail nearby that was just opened and they didnt really put any parking for it so I parked in a local business. There were plenty of open spaces but when I got back to my car someone was waiting for me to yell at me and say how it was private property, etc.! Last time I parked there!

25 Hayley @ Hayley Daily June 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

Sounds like a great start to your day! I can’t say I’ve ever been kicked off a track, that’s strange that they would do that.
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Today’s Treat!

26 Katie June 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’d love to eat that cereal concoction for breakfast every morning! Looks great…especially with the fresh fruit. Yum!

27 jen @ taste life June 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

A couple years ago when we were in Hawaii we did a hike where there was a no trespassing sign. It was actually closed because an earthquake had caused some damage to the trail, and when we got to that point it was dangerous, so we just turned around. No one caught us, but i was nervous the whole time!
jen @ taste life recently posted..Microwaves and Mountains

28 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’ve never been kicked off a trail for trespassing- but I’d feel pretty badass if I did πŸ˜‰
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..Introductions

29 Erin June 16, 2011 at 10:34 am

We did 6×400 w/400 rest at the track last night. Our coach had us running them at 1 mile pace, though, which is why we got so much rest in between!

We’ve been kicked off the track because of college practices and because the lights no longer work so they don’t let people on after sunset. But never for straight out trespassing!
Erin recently posted..Weekly Workout Wround Up

30 Amy June 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

I have THE best track story.

So, I used to meet my friend Dan at our local highschool for track workouts.

I was taking a night class at the time, so we would run pretty late at night… around 9h. It was during the fall so it was dark and frickin’ cold. That night, Dan happened to be wearing a black toque and all black clothing.

Next thing you know the police show up, and shine spot lights on us telling us to “get down”.

Apparently the silent alarm in the highschool went off and when the police came we just happened to be there.

After the realized we were there for a workout, we all had a good laugh about it, but still.. slightly crazy! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..House and Hockey

31 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

Wowza!! That would have scared the crap out of me!

32 Lauren June 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

This is my fear about using a track!!
Lauren recently posted..One Week Down

33 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 16, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’ve been thinking about getting a track workout in at my local high school. The only problem is that I only graduated from my high school two years ago, and I’m just worried that I’ll get kicked off my one of my old teachers!!! That’d be embarrassing… lol
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Two Years Later…

34 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

When did you do team in training? What race did you run?
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Ouch Charlie!

35 Meghann June 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yes, I trained and ran my first marathon with Team in Training back in 2009. I ran the SD marathon – Full Recap: http://mealsandmiles.com/2009/06/01/my-very-first-marathon/

36 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 16, 2011 at 11:17 am

That’s fantastic! I ran the Country Music Marathon with Team in Training in April of 2010.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Ouch Charlie!

37 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 16, 2011 at 11:35 am

haha I have never been kicked off a track before, but I am glad you all got a good laugh out of it!

38 nikki June 16, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I just found your blog and I feel like a creep for admitting that I cut out your Shape Success Story last year and paperclipped it to my planner because it was EXACTLY me – I got a desk job after college and all my natural thinness suddenly became squish. Glad to see you’re still at it πŸ™‚ You’re such an inspiration!

39 Hilary June 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Hasn’t happened to me YET…I was seriously bummed though because I was going to check out the nice paved track at our local Catholic high school for a track workou but it is behind a LOCKED gate (I would have to be seriously hardcore to scale the fence)….so I guess I have to suck it up and do the gravel one at my old high school. And I am lovin’ cacao nibs right now…great crunch and flavour!

40 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Okay, this is a totally random comment, but I want to tell you that every time I see “Kix” as an ingredient in your cereal bowls, I smile a little. I LOVE Kix and I love that you buy it as an adult! I haven’t had Kix since I was little but obviously that needs to change πŸ™‚
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..My last day as a new employee

41 Cara June 16, 2011 at 1:22 pm

It does come with being a runner. My high school’s track has a huge fence around it, so it is super hard to trespass but not impossible πŸ˜‰

That cereal bowl looks great! Peach and cinnamon rock together!

42 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I have been kicked out when I brought my dog to a high school football field to run.

I so need to get a foam roller!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Oatmeal risotto with peaches Parmesan and sage

43 Lisa June 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

There’s a track right next to my house. I love it! So nice and convenient. I’ve never been kicked off the track but there have been times when I ran over there to use it and there were kid’s soccer/football games going on so I couldn’t use it. πŸ™

44 Maura June 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Go Team! I can spot that purple anywhere πŸ™‚

45 Stephanie June 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm

hahah too funny, you girls are bad ass πŸ˜‰ . my foam roller is my “best friend” too
Stephanie recently posted..The Day I Fell In Love with Squirrels

46 Amy June 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Man, I need to start foam rolling.
Amy recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Fat Talk

47 Kristin @ FoodFash June 16, 2011 at 9:46 pm

We used to kick the soccer ball around after work at the field across the street from Academy of the Holy Names on MacDill. It was very short lived… Excited for Sunday!!! Haha and Monday!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Sick Of Sriracha Yet

48 Carissa June 16, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I love that you told that story! I want to go do track runs, but I’m too shy to get kicked out. My mom came to visit and asked for a track but I was too shy to tell her where to find one.

How do I beat the “please don’t kick me out” fear???
Carissa recently posted..Fun mail day!