The Secret

by Meghann on June 14, 2011

I learned something new tonight:

The secret to making ‘meaty’ black beans burgers is adding a heaping tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.

Of course, that means the burgers are technically no longer considered vegetarian (worcestershire sauce contains anchovies), but it sure makes them taste good. πŸ˜‰

I, also, learned that no two batches of bean burgers I make are ever the same. They basically end up being what ever I have on hand and end up throwing in the food processor.

Tonight’s burgers had

• 1 can of Black Beans
  • Mushrooms
  • Onion
  • Ground Flax
  • Rolled Oats
  • Adobe Spices
  • S&P
  • Worcestershire Sauce

The mix was blended and left to sit for 30 minutes. My plan was for the oats to soak up a bit of the moisture in that time, but, unfortunately, it didn’t work. The mix was still extra runny and sticky by the time I was ready to cook it.

Instead of attempting to thicken the burger dough up, I just made do with what I had and ended up with hot mushed beans on the stove top. It was a crazy, sticky mess, but at least it tasted good. πŸ˜‰

I paired the burger attempt with an Anrold’s Thin, spinach and a little ketchup.

A mix of roasted sweet potatoes and purple potatoes on the side.

Dessert

Afternoon snack

My hands are still up in the air about the belly button ring. I think I’m going to check out some stores tomorrow for a new one and if I don’t see anything I like, then I’ll take that as a time it’s time to say good bye.

I was happy to hear so many ladies are still out there rocking the belly ring after their twenties! You go girls! πŸ™‚

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Any time I make bean burgers they end of a royal mess, but they still taste good!

2 Carissa June 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I have always been afraid to try to make my own bean burger. Any tips to make it a success?
Carissa recently posted..Overnight pumpkin oats

3 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Add some finely chopped bread to the mixture!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Playing Hooky

4 Meghann June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Breadcrumbs. that was my mistake – not using any!

5 Mary June 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

If you dont want to put worsteshire in your burgers, try cumin. Generous amounts of cumin. Also, to make the mix thicker try using bread crumbs to make it stick together. and mush the beans with a fork instead of putting it in the food processor. I find this always works for me and I always have a thicker “meatier” burger πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

6 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Do you ever process it? I don’t have a food processor (well, I kinda do but it’s AWFUL). Do you always mush it up with a fork?
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..A horn and a guest post

7 Mary June 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

I dont have a food processor, so I always mush it with a fork πŸ™‚ A food processor is something on my list of ” i need to get one of these sometime” though!
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I didn’t know worchestershire sauce has anchovies in it!

Too bad about the burgers — but at least they tasted good.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

9 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I saw your post earlier about the belly ring and I have the same dilemma! (not with the nose ring though… at 26, I’m still rockin’ it!). I had an UGLY orange belly ring in for so long that I didn’t realize how ugly it was until recently. So I went to the store and bought a plain silver one. It seems to do the trick, for now. But, like you I am not a fan of it anymore!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..A horn and a guest post

10 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy June 14, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Yeah, I’m 28 and still have my belly button ring from college. But honestly I’ve been wanting to go in and get it taken out. It just doesn’t feel very “me” anymore and I’ve lost about 20 lbs since college so there is some extra skin and it doesn’t hang totally straight. It’s just a matter of going in to get it taken out. Gotta find the time!

One of my fav meals to make is black bean burgers w/ sweet potato fries. I also like throwing in a little shredded cheese into the bean mixture to make it all stick and taste yummy. And I usually add a bit of corn and bell peppers as well.
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..The Worst 6 Miles

11 Lindsey June 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Black bean burgers are my favorite! I like to double the batch and freeze some for quick suppers or lunches.
Lindsey recently posted..Disappearing Act

12 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Black bean burgers brighten bad [insert word that starts with “b” that’s a synonym for day]

13 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I’ve used Worchester in meat burger but never in bean, such a clever idea! πŸ™‚

I say rock it girl! πŸ™‚

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm

my bean burgers usually end up slightly too sticky too πŸ™

15 Sarah K June 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm

the burgers look good!
Sarah K recently posted..Decemberists in July

16 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 14, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Those burgers sound so good! I’ve only attempted bean burgers once, myself.
LOVE those Mojo bars!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Readers Request- The Story- Part 1

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 15, 2011 at 12:09 am

Loving the addition of worcestershire sauce. One of my faves!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Spoiled

18 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

I seriously want that ice cream sandwich right now. Is it Skinny Cow???

Black bean burgers with bbq sauce are amazing!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Smoothie Under the Sun

19 Meghann June 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm

No, Klondike! πŸ™‚

20 Hayley @ Hayley Daily June 15, 2011 at 3:08 am

Impressive looking burgers! Worcestershire sauce seems to be the secret ingredient in quite a few things…it’s just a flavor that you can’t really describe but when it’s missing, you know it.
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Today’s Treat!

21 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 15, 2011 at 6:32 am

I had never has black bean burgers until I went to Pine 22 in Orlando and it was so delicious. Now I’m hooked! I’ll have to try an at home version.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in- purple sweet potato fries

22 Meghann June 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

thanks for the tip! Where’s Pine 22 located?

23 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm

It’s on Pine Street in downtown Orlando next to Coronas Cigars. Definitely a must-try on your next visit!

24 Christine @ Burning It Off June 15, 2011 at 6:37 am

Is that a Skinny Cow sandwich or the real deal?

As a teenager, I used to be obsessed with the idea of getting my belly button pierced but I always told myself I’d only get it done when I had visible abs… almost ten years later and still no abs lol…
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Battle Scars

25 Meghann June 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm

It’s the 100 calorie Klondike Sandwich – I’ve never had a skinny cow one before.

26 Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) June 15, 2011 at 6:41 am

HOLY YUM! πŸ™‚
Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) recently posted..Tryin to make me go to cake rehab

27 Lauren June 15, 2011 at 6:48 am

I was just thinking of making black bean burgers. Now I know the secret! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Share The Wealth of Taste 2 New Recipes

28 Hillary June 15, 2011 at 6:55 am

The easiest way to thicken up your bean burgers is to add a few tablespoonfuls of whole wheat flour! It gives them a great consistency and makes them way easier to cook.
Hillary recently posted..A Redhead Bakes Blondies

29 Holly @ Pink Runner June 15, 2011 at 7:33 am

I LOVE black bean burgers!! I will have to try your recipe πŸ™‚
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..TV Workouts

30 Jayme @ Runner-n-spice June 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

Those burgers look great…..Im in desperate need of a good mixer! There is no way I could make those in my magic bullet! haha.

31 Hilary June 15, 2011 at 8:12 am

Ooooh…wanna try that trick! I made bean burgers with a mix of black and refried beans, quinoa and veggies/spices (click link below) and they weren’t too sticky!
Hilary recently posted..Burger Builder

32 Hannah Hawley June 15, 2011 at 8:18 am

What about waiting to add the oatmeal till after everything else is processed?
Another great option would be to process all ingredients except the beans and oatmeal, use a fork or a potato masher to mash the beans more roughly and then mix all together with the puree and the oatmeal.
Hannah Hawley recently posted..Ricker Pond Rain Out &amp Broccoli Salad

33 Dione June 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

Lol as I was reading the post I was wondering…how does she keep them from being too runny??? At least they tasted yummy!

34 Stephanie June 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’m not even kidding, Worcestershire sauce is my absolute favorite condiment. However, I am a firm believer that you have to use the original by Lea and Perrins (in the bottle with the paper wrapped around it). I have tried to store brands and they are not nearly as tasty. It is well worth the extra bucks!

35 Rachel June 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

I made black bean burgers for my whole family and they loved them! like people have previously posted – per 1 can of black beans, i add 1 cup of panko bread crumbs and 1 egg. I also use my immersion blender, but only pulse it through the mixture so i get a lumpier texture.

mmm…i think i might make these tonight, actually.
Rachel recently posted..snot cool

36 Evan Thomas June 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

I really need to make more bean burgers this Summer just so I have an excuse to grill something.