Get Your Spin On

by Meghann on June 14, 2011

Good Morning!

Tuesday mornings are going to be my late morning during training season. Since the Tampa Tri Team track work outs are on Thursdays, I’ve had to rearrange my plan to accommodate that. Spin class and running have been moved to Tuesdays and my 60 minute track sessions are on Thursdays.

Unfortunately my Y only has two spin options on Tuesday: 5:15am and 8:25am. You’ve got ridiculously early or practically mid-morning. I’ve already put in a few suggestion cards to add a 6:30 or 7:00am class, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. πŸ˜‰

The good news is that means I get to sleep in on Tuesdays (7:30am wake up calls rock!) and take my time getting to the gym.

The 8:25 spin class was great. It was a new-to-me instructor that I was little weary of at first, but he led a good class. He got off the bike and walked around at one point (which annoyed me when the instructor did it last week), but instead of just standing at the front of the class, he actually walked around and helped with form. I think that’s the difference right there. If it’s a good instructor who walks around and actually helps – I’m all for it – if they’re just going to stand up front and not motivate at all, I’m going to lose interest.

After spinning I hopped on the treadmill for a quick 30 minute run, then headed home for breakfast.

A lovely bowl of Black Cherry Chobani Yogurt mixed with a packet of instant oatmeal and topped with fresh mango, strawberries, Naturally Nutty Chocolate Toffee Butter Peanut Butter, and Granola.

Instant oatmeal with yogurt is my quickie version of overnight oats. Same texture and refreshing flavor without have to wait overnight. πŸ˜‰

Happy Tuesday!

1 Dori June 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

Glad you had a great spin class. I’m spinning tonight for the first time in about a year!
Dori recently posted..1 IntenSati Success 2 Exercise Pain 3 Writing Stuffs

2 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

I can’t believe 7:30 is sleeping in for you!!! When I talk about skipping morning workouts because they’re too early I’m talking about 8 am runs! Spin class sounds like a fun workout.
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Playing Hooky

3 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

pshhh… 8am is late! πŸ˜‰

4 Anne @thefitbridesmaid June 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

Last week, she got off the bike and just stood there? I thought that she was at least walking around. No wonder you were so annoyed!
Anne @thefitbridesmaid recently posted..NEW BLOG

5 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Yes! Just stood up front and had bad music. I was not a fan.

6 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

Wow I can’t believe that 8:30 is midmorning for you! I feel so lazy now…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Cold Weather Treat

7 Hope June 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

Sounds like a great spin class! I love your breakfast! It looks really tasty! I need to bring overnight oats back into my life πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

5:15 is a ridiculous time for a class. Is it even busy? What time do these people have to get to work by? 7:00?

9 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm

the gy is always busy at 5:15 – you’d be surprised how many people are standing by the door waiting for the gym to open in the morning.

10 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

Oooh goodness, being that I’m still a bit sicky, the idea of a 730 am wakeup call is just… unreal to me. Especially to spin.

I agree though, I’d love more classes at my gym around 6:30 or (preferably) 7, giving me enough time in the morning to wake up (but not before the sun) and get some exercise in before showering/heading to work.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

I had the best spin instructor in college (also the cross country coach) who stayed on his bike the entire time and worked harder than all of us. It was incredibly motivating. I’d get mad if they were walking around too. It’s like when Jillian stops doing the moves in her workout DVD’s and starts talking about form. I want to scream “shut up and keep repping it out bi-atch!” haha

12 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love spinning. I’ve been doing it for 6 months now and wouldn’t give it up EVER!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..All dressed up with two places to go!

13 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

mm that toffee pb looks wonderful! YUM!

I’m inspired by your training, keep up the awesome work! πŸ™‚

14 Shanna, Like Banana June 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

One of my Spin instructors gets off the bike too, but uses the time to correct form, so I’m all good with that. I can’t imagine just getting off and standing there!

15 Ali @ Ali Runs June 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

Spin classes are my new favorite workout!! Glad you got in a good spin this morning!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Regatta Recap

16 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t think i’ve ever been in a spin class where the instructor got off the bike to help with form. Tha’d be nice to newbies!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

As an instructor, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten off my bike to walk around the class, and I’m not really a fan when people do, but I suppose to each their own! I think it fits some personalities – depending on what they do when they’re off the bike. Glad you had a good class!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Starstruck

18 Ally June 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

7:30 is definitely sleeping in for me…and the other day I slept until 9! WHAT?! I actually didn’t really like it that much, it threw me off for the rest of the day. Early wakeups are so much better.
Ally recently posted..Pushing the issue

19 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Would have never thought of instant oats and yogurt for a “quickie” overnight oats, MUST TRY! πŸ™‚

Happy Tuesday! πŸ™‚
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..Introductions

20 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’m so glad the 8:25AM class was better than the 5:30AM class!!

21 Miranda June 14, 2011 at 11:09 am

Very good idea! I’m going to try that.

22 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

You should do a post about how to become an early morning person (and an early morning exerciser!). I’m one of those who hits my snooze alarm 5 or so times before finally getting out of bed.
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Yay- We’re Engaged!

23 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve thought about it, but I would feel so cliche writing it. I think what motivates me to get up is knowing I have a set workout to do and not giving me an option to press snooze. I hear the alarm and I get up and go.

24 Mac June 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

I miss spinning πŸ™ The university (my gym right now) doesn’t offer spin in the summer and I’m going through withdraws, along with getting super bored just biking myself.
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

25 Laura June 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

I have the opposite problem with one of the spin instructors – She breathes really heavily into the microphone while she’s talking to us. A little distracting.
Laura recently posted..The Week Ahead

26 Sarah June 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

I haven’t been to a spinning class in ages. I used to love them though. I’m going to have to grab some mangos on my way home today. Your breakfast looks great. So refreshing!
Sarah recently posted..Pretending to Plan

27 Amy @ love4living.com June 14, 2011 at 11:52 am

That really is so true especially about spin classes – although I don’t think I have ever had an instructor get off the bike before.
Amy @ love4living.com recently posted..Girl on Girl Hate

28 Mary June 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’m with you, I love spinning but I get so upset when the instructor hops off the bike mid class, I love when they’re riding up front and are motivaing you while they’re pushing themselves too

Bum deal about your AC! I hope you get it fixed soon!
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

29 Jamie@everydaydolce June 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love instant oatmeal packets with yogurt! You’re right about the flavor and texture thing, it is very similar to overnight oats, without the waiting πŸ™‚

30 Cat June 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Definitely interesting to hear the perspectives on what people’s expectations are of instructors! Spinning and group ex is definitely different than what I do, but keep in mind that, especially for full-time fitness instructors they may be teaching several hours a day and they sometimes need to balance out how much activity they are doing while teaching. For example, some instructors that work for me teach 6 classes a day. Also, in my opinion, it’s actually responsible, ethical and uber professional to talk about form and help correct things. Preventing injury is something overlooked so often in group ex. classes that I find it really refreshing when instructors take the time to do this — it also shows, to me, that they actually know what they are talking about vs. just being able to complete the workout they planned for you. Remember that it’s YOUR workout not theirs…they shouldn’t be taking you along on their workout for the day, you know?
Cat recently posted..Mermaid Duathlon- How it all Went Down- Happily 9th

31 Lauren June 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love spin classes in the morning but I can’t imagine waiting to eat breakfast until 10am. I would definitely need to eat before I left.
Lauren recently posted..Share The Wealth of Taste 2 New Recipes

32 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I always eat a half a z-bar in the morning (or something equivalent)

33 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

My gym also has awful spin class hours. Like today, it was either 5am or 9:30. 5am wasn’t happening for me (I don’t get up before 5:30am unless it’s for a race, long run, or travel ;)) so I went to the 9:30, which was a little too late for me.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Technical Difficulties Round 3

34 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

That makes no sense that they would have one class at 5:15 and the next at 8:25 – crazy…
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Best laid plans

35 Heather June 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Don’t you feel like you work out to an extreme?

36 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

No – I feel like I’m training for a Half Ironman. Trust me, there are way hardcore people out there than me. In fact, four people in my spin class were staying for the next spin class that immediately followed! That’s crazy to me. πŸ™‚

37 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm

A 5:15am class is early, but that is what I’d have to take. I need to leave my house at around 7am to get to work. That is why I don’t usually workout in the morning! It is too early!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

38 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yep, it is super lame when instructors don’t help out if they’re walking around already!!

39 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 14, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I used to take a spinning class where the instructor would walk around the whole time and make you sing into her microphone… very awkward… never went back there!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Yet

40 kristi (sweet cheeks) June 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I went to spinning this morning too! My gym is the same way with times…there is a 5:15 am one and then 9:00. Crazy!
kristi (sweet cheeks) recently posted..Wha Wha What I…Wednesday

41 Emily June 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Yum! That’s a new idea to me- I’ll have to give it a whirl. Thanks!