While the cat’s away, the mice will…eat strange food

by Meghann on June 13, 2011

Derek is working the late shift this week.

On one hand this makes me very sad because talking to my boyfriend via g-chat isn’t quite as fun as seeing him face to face.

On the other hand, this means I get full control of the tv (The Glee Project, what?!) and get to enjoy ‘Meghann Meals’ for the week.

‘Meghann Meals’ are weird creations the no one else seems to understand, but me. Derek is a trooper with most things I make, but he can only take so much of my funky mixes. ‘Meghann Meal’ nights are nights he knows he’s on his own.

Today night’s Meghann meal was an odd trio of what I was craving.

One third was a sweet potato topped with peanut butter, apple sauce, and granola.

Trust me – this was good. πŸ™‚

Another third – fresh green beans. So crisp, so cold, and so good!

The remaining extra large third was a package of Kettle Corn I took from the Oldsmar Taphouse 5k on Friday night. It was some serious stuff!

We’re having issue with our ac again (I know, I know). We’ve had 4 different price quotes now from 4 different dealers, with 4 different prices. Oy Vey!

Luckily, Derek was able to fix today’s AC malfunction with a wire hanger and a quick prayer. Which was great, except he got home close to 9:00 and the AC stopped blowing cool air around noon. :/

I attempted to cool down this afternoon with a homemade smoothie.

IMG_7466.jpg

My sister makes the BEST smoothies, so I took her lead on this one and kept it simple.

• Frozen Cherries
  • 1 sccop chocolate protein powder
  • Low-fat Milk
  • 1 tablespoon Flax

Kelly was right – there is a difference when you use cow’s milk and almond milk in a smoothie. The cow’s milk creates a thicker, smoother smoothie. Good to know!

To further cool down after dinner I had a Klondike Ice Cream Sandwich

BOGO deals get me every time! πŸ˜‰

Time to unwind with my man.

Good Night!

1 Hilary June 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Most random supper ever! LOVE IT! So fun just to go a little nuts sometimes though. πŸ™‚
Hilary recently posted..Weekend Baking

2 Carissa June 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Ahhh the Klondike BOGO! Those crafty publix marketing people! I’m with you on eating alone. I have a lot more veg and a lot less meat when I don’t have to cook for my husband. He’s always like, “where’s your protein source? ”
Carissa recently posted..Overnight pumpkin oats

3 Val @ Balancing Val June 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

You definitely get the {random food blogger award} if there was one! πŸ™‚

Ever make a combo you just couldn’t stomach?
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Peace Day

4 Meghann June 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Trust me – that has happened before!

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love eating strange combos too….and I get made fun of for it by some family members. hah πŸ˜‰

6 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

God, I could really use something cold and refreshing like a smoothie! Guess this Icy Hot will have to suffice.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm

mmm I love sweet and savory combo’s looks wonderful! πŸ™‚

Hope you have a great late evening and a good, cooler start to your Tuesday! πŸ™‚

8 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I LOVE my man but I also love my ME time too.. you gotta have a balance!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Readers Request- The Story- Part 1

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love your random dinner — loaded sweet potatoes and kettle corn sounds great to me!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

10 Amy @ love4living.com June 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Ohh that smoothie looks so. good.
Amy @ love4living.com recently posted..Digging Deeper- Dying Again

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

very random dinner, but somehow it does look good!

12 Katie June 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Publix BOGOs get me every single time. They are the best!

My hubby and I eat those Klondike sandwiches every single night – they are the perfect treat for the end of the day!
Katie recently posted..Blackened Mahi with Strawberry Mango Salsa- NoshGirl Chef Challenge

13 Anna June 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love random food! My niece and brothers make fun of my weird combinations. In fact, my niece keeps on teasing me about putting pizza in my smoothies. I have my boundaries though I am not opposed to creating a savory smoothie…

14 Hayley @ Hayley Daily June 14, 2011 at 12:44 am

Haha, I love your strange dinner! So random, yet so delicious. πŸ™‚
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Today’s Treat!

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

I am loving chocolate and cherry smoothies lately! I’ve never tried cow’s milk- I will do that next time πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Yet

16 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 14, 2011 at 6:29 am

Yum I love kettle corn. It reminds me of college football games.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in- purple sweet potato fries

17 Lauren June 14, 2011 at 6:57 am

Haha, I love it! πŸ™‚ I thought my “single style” dinners were odd but I’ve never tried popcorn and sweet potatoes.
Lauren recently posted..Share The Wealth of Taste 2 New Recipes

18 Amy June 14, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’m not really known for weird combos, but I do try to healthify EVERYTHING.

My brother once took a bite of a cookie I made, and a huge strand of zuchinni came out of it.

The look on his face was pure disgust, which was followed by a huge rant about “leaving things alone” and “veggies don’t go in cookies”.

Meh! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Progress

19 Hope June 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

Interesting meal! I really want to try peanut butter on a sweet potato. I’ve heard it’s amazing! I hope your AC gets fixed soon! That is really annoying that it keeps breaking. Fingers crossed! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

20 Rachel June 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

I can’t imagine being without AC in that heat! I would definitely just suck it and up and pay for a new one! Go with the cheapest quote! πŸ™‚

21 Miranda June 14, 2011 at 9:05 am

Meghann meals looks like exactly what I would eat if I didn’t have to consider the hubs and child. Tonight I’m on my own.. Might be time for a weird Miranda Meal myself!

22 Jenny June 14, 2011 at 9:15 am

Your dinner creation looks…interesting. πŸ™‚ I have the weirdest aversion to kettle corn so excuse me if I don’t use this meal as inspiration for my future self-date nights. But you go girl. Fly your freak foody flag!

Also, the real reason I’m posting a comment – I totally caught the Glee Project on Oxygen last night and it was AMAZEballs.

23 Ali @ Ali Runs June 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

The sweet potato combo does seem very odd. I’m not sure I could eat that, BUT I am a huge fan of kettle corn! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Regatta Recap

24 kalli June 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

i love your meals……..they always give me crazy ideas to make. thankfully my husband will pretty much eat anything i serve him but he has gotten a bit sick of my new facination with tahini πŸ™‚
kalli recently posted..The End of the First Year

25 Carol June 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

I eat strange food combos (portion control goes out the window) when my hubby is away also:) Greek yogurt gets topped with the most random items. It all tastes so good though!

26 Lisa June 14, 2011 at 11:35 am

Your meals always look ..interesting

27 Maria Blevins June 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I love buying skinny cow sandwiches and smearing a tbsp. of peanut butter on top…TO DIE FOR πŸ™‚
Maria Blevins recently posted..Waking UpNot Just Hard To Do-It Plain Old SUCKS

28 Jennie June 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I love when I am on my own for dinner so I can make my crazy meals, too. I call them concoctions. My husband will have nothing to do with them. I am heading out of town this week for a conference and am packing all sorts of crazy concoctions! YUM!