HIM Training: Week 1 Wrap Up

by Meghann on June 13, 2011

Last Monday kicked off Week 1 of training for the Augusta Half Ironman in September. (See full plan here)

Here’s what was on the original schedule for the week:

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 12.16.07 PM.png

And here’s what actually went down:

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 12.18.32 PM.png

There are lines through anything I missed and the red font translates to all the add-ons. I’m a BIG BELIEVER that any training plan can be flexible. Trust me, I’m not one to miss out on swimming or riding with friends just because I’m not scheduled to do so that day. If something fun and active comes up and it fits with my HIM Training journey, then I am always 100% up for it. πŸ™‚

Wrap Up

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

• Warm up: 20 min Elliptical <– realizing I need some form of cardio before jumping into strength training
  • NROLFW Stage 1B

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Numbers Breakdown

• Swim: 3500 yds (approximate)
  • Bike: 20 miles + Spin (should those miles count?)
  • Run: 12 miles
  • Strength: 3 Days
  • Misc: 40 mins

Final Thoughts

• When I added the swim on Saturday and moved the bike ride to Sunday I accidentally removed my rest day for the week. Whoops.
  • Only 12 miles of running for one week is very low for me. Part of my training strategy was cutting back on running to allow more training time for biking and swimming. Surprisingly with all the cross training, I didn’t miss it as much as I thought I would.
  • Training for a Half Ironman is serious business. Enough said.

Can’t wait to see what Week 2 brings! πŸ™‚
Today’s lunch
I had a pretty busy morning and didn’t end up breaking for lunch until late. By then I was at the point where I knew I wanted something, but my mind wasn’t made up on anything. I ended up finding frozen beef-less beef tips in the freezer. Just a little heating up on the stove top with some bbq sauce and they made the perfect faux taco filling.
After a weekend apart, the pretzels were calling my name. πŸ™‚

I’m not a fan on Mondays. Can we institute three day weekends please? πŸ˜‰

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I had a one day weekend, boo! I could definitely use a three day weekend πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Yet

2 michelle June 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Great week you had. Following blogs with people training for half ironmans always inspire me. That’s good you didn’t miss running as much like you thought… I have that fear that I will if I decide to train for something other than a running race
michelle recently posted..Getting Beat and Weekly Recap

3 Ann June 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wow, your lunch looks like something from a restaurant! And I tried mustard on my pretzels and loved it. Thanks for the idea.
Ann recently posted..Home Again Some Nashville Purchases

4 Pamela June 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Girl, I’m not a fan of Mondays, either. I may or may have played hooky from work today. It is too beautiful, and I have a slight eye infection… that counts, right? I took advantage of the breeze and ran on a paved trail out in the suburbs, and it was perfect. Running on new trails is my favorite activity, no question.

5 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

If you ever start your own business, I think you should make three day weekends mandatory. I’d love to work for you!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Munchies

6 Rae June 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm

geat job on week one!! I’m no coach, but I think the pin class should count-I count it when I train. It works the same muscles and pushes you in ways an outside ride done “easy” wouldnt πŸ™‚
Rae recently posted..Takes the cake

7 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I hear you on 3-day weekends!

8 Hope June 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I would totally love 3 days weekends. They should be mandatory! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

9 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas June 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I love how many of your meals involve pretzels. I could eat them every single day. Yum!
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..The Benefits of Running Hills

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I agree on 3 day weekends.. I am trying my best to keep my eyes prodded open after getting 3 hours of sleep post-Glee tour last night. I am NOT good at this! On a training note, I think you did great!! I agree that it’s best to be flexible – listening to your body is far more important than doing a workout (or not doing a workout) just because it’s written down.
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Starstruck

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Wow, you did awesome sticking to that training plan for the most part. HIM training is no joke, huh?

12 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect June 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Three day weekends for everyone!!! That would make my lifetime for sure!

13 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

See I would be all for three day weekends except that I then Tuesday through friday would be super busy! πŸ™‚

Awesome job with your training! I am all about the flexible training schedules because you have to be able to listen to your body and adjust as life demands! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Friday Fun Mood Boosts and Share Your Posts!

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love 3 day weekends — I wish they happened more often though!

I would be exhausted without rest days. I don’t know how you do it!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

15 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I hate Mondays too, good luck on your training!
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..Introductions

16 Mary June 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm

If we always had 3 day weekends, then you’d hate tuesdays just as much as you hate mondays! Good work on week 1 of your training plan, I love swimming laps, I think the bike is what would get me in tri training.
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

17 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

More 3 day weekends, more tacos, and more serious training!!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

18 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I think companies/businesses would save a LOT of money if we all worked 4 10 hour days instead of 5 8 hour days. I think it would boost moral until we all get use to 3 day weekends and look forward to 4 day weekend πŸ™‚

19 Jamie@everydaydolce June 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yes, three day weekend, please! I was not ready for an early alarm this morning πŸ™
Love your lunch…looks like a great stabilizing meal…I have a craving for pretzels now πŸ˜‰

20 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] June 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

hehe it was a three day weekend in france today! we’re making up for mem day πŸ™‚
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Colmar

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Wowza – awesome training week!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Running the day away

22 Clare June 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Wow you really are addicted to exercising. A day off a week is actually healthier then constantly going 7 days a week. Not to mention you never indulge…enjoy yourself!

23 jo June 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I was going to say the same thing. excessive exercise can’t be good.

24 Jen G. June 13, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’ve had Gardein Beefless Tips in my freezer for ages, but it’s been so long since that I’ve eaten meat that I couldn’t figure out what to do with them. BBQ sauce is such an obviously easy choice, but I totally forgot about it… Now I know what I’m having for dinner! Thanks πŸ™‚

25 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 13, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I’m allllllllll for three day weekends!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..West Coast V- Balboa Park &amp The SD Zoo

26 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Holy smokes! Intense! I admire your dedication!!!

27 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I agree! Mondays are crappy πŸ™
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Readers Request- The Story- Part 1

28 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am seriously in awe of your dedication to the training schedule! I should email you actually – I’m currently training for my first half marathon and am having some injury issues already, and now am a little worried about how to stick to the training plan….

I totally am with ya on the being too hungry to pick something to eat- that always happens to me and then I end up snacking on whatever the easiest thing to grab out of the fridge is (usually Greek yogurt bowls!). πŸ™‚

29 Ali @ Ali Runs June 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

I love how flexible you are with your training. I think it is one of the most important aspects of training. If you get hung up on what you missed with working out, the training will not be enjoyable at all.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Regatta Recap