HIM Training: Test Set

by Meghann on June 13, 2011

The second week of HIM Training has officially begun!

(Only 15 more to go! Woo hoo!)

I’ll be back later with a run down of my thoughts on the first week, but first let’s dive into my second swim work out Courtney designed for me – the Test Set.

Test Set workout sample(Total yardage = 2250 yards, 45-50 min)

Warm up set (8 min)

3 x 100’s @ 2:30 nice and easy for warm up

Additional warm up/drill/speed (10 min)

8 x 50’s @ 1:15 doing drill or light speed work if you still don’t feel warmed – up or need to add some yardage

Main set – Time yourself for the following distances and record the time.  Rest for 30 seconds to 1 minute between each swim. Treat like ladder of track workout.  (24-28 min)

3 x 100 yard

2 x 200 yard

1 x 600 yard

Cool down (5 min)

250 easy breathing every 3 strokes

Comment: Figure out how you want to test yourself once every week or every two weeks.  This is a great way to gage how you are improving in the water.  You can keep this main set exactly the same every week and increase your total workout time by adding a longer warm-up or cool down.  Or you can increase the distance of your last swim.  See how fast you can go for a 1000 yard swim or 1500 yard swim.  I don’t suggest doing that more than a handful of times because it can get boring and you’ll increase your swim endurance through doing a more sets like 15 x 100’s @ 2:00 instead.

Did you catch all that?

It’s hard to believe a lot of the swim stuff is starting to make sense to me. Courtney’s notes (and my constant badgering of questions) helps a lot. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the course of training – or life in general – is don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you never ask then you’ll never know!

Here’s how my Test Set broke down this morning:

Warm Up Set

3 x 100’s @ 2:30

Main Set

3x 100 (2:05, 2:06, 2:04) w/ 30 sec rests

• Felt good for all 100s. I think 100 is starting to be my ideal distance in the pool

2 x 200 (4:11, 4:14) w/ 45 sec rests

• These weren’t bad and went quicker than I had originally thought. I like how there was only two sets.

1 x 500 (11:33???)

• Here’s where things got tricky. I shortened the set from 600 to 500 because I was afraid I was running short on time in the pool. I only wanted to spend 45 minutes in the pool before hitting weights and 600 just seemed so intimidating.
  • I also lost track of how many laps I actually did. There has to be a better way to track laps than just counting 1-10. I think next time I’ll count in increments of 5. Only counting to 5 and then counting to 5 again seems like it would be easier to count down from for some reason.

Cool Down

250 easy

Final thoughts

This was my first Test Set, so I really had nothing else to compare my times to. I’m hoping these numbers will only continue to improve, but it’s nice to have a solid base to build from. 🙂

Weights

After my swim, I had a quick change before heading to the weight room to complete workout 5 of NROLFW 1B. I really pushed myself on the weights today and could definitely feel it in my arms. I felt strong and bad ass making my way around the gym. 😉

Breakfast

I had barely walked in the front door before I started piling my bowl high with cereal for breakfast.

So. So. Good. 😉

• 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/2 cup Mulitgrain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Uncle Sam Strawberry Cereal
  • Plain Chobani
  • Mango
  • Honey Peanut Butter

The mango was extra ripe and delicious. I’m really digging all the summer fruits.

TIme to get this Monday started. 🙂

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 13, 2011 at 10:25 am

MMm that cereal bowl screams summer! And I’m sure your body’s really asking for cool and refreshing refueling after your workouts!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..This Weekend

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 13, 2011 at 10:26 am

Swimming+lifting is my favorite workout combo. Nice work on the test set!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Zoes Chocolate Company- Fathers Day Chocolate Six Pack

3 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 13, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oh, I bet plain Chobani and fresh mango is a delicious combination! Enjoy your day, Meghann. 🙂

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oh my, your brekkie looks amazing this morning! And very well deserved too!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Starstruck

5 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 13, 2011 at 10:34 am

That breakfast is so colorful, which makes it even more exciting to eat 🙂 What an excellent way to start the week!
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..Four Seasons of Cancer

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

I am loving reading about all of your awesome workouts! Totally inspirational how many different things you’ve incorporated into your training plan. Keep up the amazing work! 🙂

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love mango — especially when it is super fresh!

Good job on your workouts — and I’m glad the swimming is making more sense to you!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

8 Hope June 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

Your cereal bowl looks so good! I have to agree with you on the summer fruits! I’m loving them. I just bought cantaloupe yesterday and it’s so tasty! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

9 Holly @ Pink Runner June 13, 2011 at 10:58 am

Congrats on your 2nd week of training!! I love your cereal bowl!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Phillies Game!

10 Melissa June 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

looks like a great bowl! Yum. You deserve every bite after that crazy workout!

11 Megan McK June 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

Meghann,
I’m so impressed. Your drive is inspiring. I think my jaw-drop moment while reading your post was realizing that you did all of this AND blogged about it before breakfast on a Monday. You’re my hero.

Keep it up!
Megan

12 Shannon June 13, 2011 at 11:39 am

The worst thing about swimming is having to count your laps. You will get used to it and start to know distances by feel too
Shannon recently posted..Swimming

13 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

I am enjoying reading your workout posts. Very inspiring!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Art and ole

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

I really want some mango right now. Glad the swimming is starting to make sense and get easier for you!

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love the way lifting weights makes me feel strong, sexy, and confident! It feels amazing, eh?? 🙂

16 Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Swimming is such a great workout, it obviously makes every single body part work!
Great looking breakfast as usual m’dear 😀
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Lessons From The Weekend

17 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

If you ever come up with a good way to count laps, let me know! I’ve been swimming for 7 years and it always get frustrating trying to keep track of a 100o yard swim. My suggestion: Find a 50-meter pool, that way you can swim a 500 and only have to count to 10 🙂
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..My First Group Bike Ride

18 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Haha! I love that suggestion. Made me laugh out loud. I love flip turns too much to like long course pool though.
Courtney recently posted..Oldsmar Taphouse 5K Das Boot Fun

19 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I’ve heard that swimming also helps to improve your running times… I can’t speak from experience but have you found this to be true?
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..BBQ Chicken Like Whoa!

20 Mary June 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I find that the best way for me to count laps while I’m swimming is to repeat the number that I’m on with every breath stroke. you know… like I breathe every third stroke, so I just say to myself 1, 2, 3, ONE, 1, 2, 3, ONE (or whatever lap i’m on)

Good luck with training, I think that swimming is my favorite part of tri training 🙂
Mary recently posted..A New Chapter

21 Kim June 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

The best way to keep track of laps Is time your 25 at a moderate avg pace. Then just start your watch timer and swim the avg/ same pace. Once you have completed the total “time” of swimming divid it by your 25 yd. Pace time and it will hive you total laps swam. It’s slot like calculating pace and miles. You fun for 40 min/ 10 min mile = 4 miles… But it’s more accurate in the pool

22 Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) June 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

That breakfast combination sounds delish! I love kashi honey sunshine and multigrain cheerios! Have you tried the cinnamon cheerios? I’m addicted. 🙂
Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) recently posted..Food-makin Sunday

23 Kim June 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Totally typed this on my phone – why wording/ spelling is awful haahaa

24 Meg L. June 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

When I swim I countdown the number of laps. So if I’m doing a 500, I push off the first wall saying “20” to myself. Each wall I hit I count down. until I hit 0 laps left which means I stop. It seems kind of silly but it works wonderfully for me!