more ยป" />

Hittin’ the Trails

by Meghann on June 12, 2011

It has definitely been a tri-ful weekend. Yesterday we went for a swim and run and today it was all about the bike.

Say what you want about triathlon training – and the early mornings or how time consuming it is – but I LOVE it. I couldn’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning that a bike ride with three good friends. Just like I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my Saturday morning than swimming and running with my siblings. The thing about training is it brings people together. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wasn’t up too early this morning. I took my time waking up at my parents’ and enjoyed a small bowl of oatmeal before hitting the road.

The oatmeal was just a single packet of ‘original’ instant oatmeal with a drizzle of honey, cherries, nutella, and crumbled peanut butter Puffins.

It was quick and delicious. I’ve really been enjoying the fresh cherries at my parents’ place – they’ve inspired to buy some of my own when I get home. ๐Ÿ™‚

I drove to Orlando to meet Kelly and Amber at the trailhead for a casual bike ride.

We decided to take the ride easy and just go with it. It’s the beginning of training and we’re all still getting used to getting back on the bike.

Halfway through we ran into the lovely Katy who guided us through the rest of the trail.

Orlando has been hard at work connecting a few of the bike trails, so even though we started at the end of Cady Way Trail we eventually ended up on the Seminole Cross Trail which would have dead ended around Oviedo.

We went out 10 miles and turned around and headed back to the start.

After 20 miles my tummy was grumbling, but my legs still felt good. It was a great ride.

We packed up and I headed to my sister’s apartment for a post-ride snack.

She made delicious smoothies with strawberries, blueberries, and chocolate protein powder.

I added a sprinkle of granola to mine for a little crunch.

Sadie was really interested in my smoothie. ๐Ÿ™‚

TIme to shower and prep for the day.

I’m attending my first bridal show with my sister. It feels kind of weird going to a bridal show without being engaged, but at least I’ll have the title of Maid of Honor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Sunday!

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

I think I’d only do a triathlon if I had people to train with. Otherwise it’s so daunting!

Bridal shows must be so much fun! Are there runways and fashion shows too??
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Rainy Day After

2 Hillary June 12, 2011 at 11:33 am

Nutella for breakfast?! Oh, be still my heart.

Have fun today!
Hillary recently posted..A Redhead Bakes Blondies

3 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

Looks like a great way to start the day. I’m jealous of you bicyclers. I really want to but I’m put off by the initial investment. Boo.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Budget Living

4 Kaitlin June 12, 2011 at 11:38 am

Looks and sounds lovely! I love tri training too– so much variety and you never get bored ๐Ÿ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Flexible Tri Training

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 12, 2011 at 11:39 am

I too love getting up early on Saturdays for a long run — it makes me feel so good the rest of the weekend!

Have fun at the bridal show!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

6 Cate June 12, 2011 at 11:48 am

Sounds like a good ride!
I recently moved to Chicago and couldn’t carry a bike up here so I am bike-less. ๐Ÿ™ My legs have been itching for a ride!

Enjoy the bridal show! ๐Ÿ™‚
Cate recently posted..Whats Going On

7 Sana June 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I have to say I really enjoy biking wayyy more than running, it’s just FUN!
Sana recently posted..Passive Transport

8 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Reading blogs is very tough on my wallet — now I want to train for a Tri! I have always been too scared to try biking in NYC, so I don’t have any wheels of my own right now. But this looks like fun! If I ever live in an area with less crazy traffic, I could definitely see myself giving this a shot. Looks like a great morning!
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Volunteering at the Village- part I

9 Katy Widrick June 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hey Alison!

Do you follow Theodora at http://losingweightinthecity.com/? She just got a new bike and has been navigating the big bad roads ๐Ÿ™‚

Ironically, I also did a post for her a while back on how triathlon training does NOT have to be expensive…under $10, in fact! http://losingweightinthecity.com/2011/01/so-you-want-to-try-a-tri/

10 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Katy — thanks! I do follow Theodora, and I have been marveling at how much braver (or crazier) she is than me ๐Ÿ™‚ But I feel like I might be able to tap into my brave/crazy side…so I’m not giving up hope.

I don’t think I read that post, so I’m going to check it out now. Thanks again, I love how helpful and supportive the blogging world is!

11 Alaina June 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I really need to get a new bike. Those trails look so much fun and so relaxing. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Oh Happy Days!

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Biking with friends does sound like a great way to start the day!

13 Ashley June 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Were all of y’all friends first or did you meet through the blogs? What a fun day so far!
Ashley recently posted..BBQ Chicken Like Whoa!

14 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That is the cutest little dog in the world! I always have my smoothies with a bit of granola– I love the crunch!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..West Coast V- Balboa Park &amp The SD Zoo

15 Courtney June 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Yay for tri training! I’ve really been enjoying training for my first sprint tri, despite a bike crash. :/ I guess it happens for everyone, though, from what I’ve heard.
Courtney recently posted..Updated Goals

16 Courtney W June 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Your ride looked like a lot of fun! 20 miles is a solid ride to start your Sunday. Between Lucky’s Lake and the Cady Way trail I am itching to visit Orlando to train…errr…I mean visit family.

17 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I am craving a bike ride now! Have fun with your sister!

18 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

nothing wrong with going to a bridal show without being engaged! looks like a wonderful ride and a delish smoothie! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

That looks like it was a great bike ride.

I just ate but now I want a smoothie – it looks so good!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Chicken breakfast taco and 6 month anniversary

20 Sarah June 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I recently brought my bike from home to school and have loved riding it around town. It’s amazing how much easier it is on your body than running.
Sarah recently posted..The Birthday Beat

21 Courtney S June 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m in Orlando for work and guess what is at my hotel?? The bridal show I think you’re at. I have my eyes peeled for you and your sister!!

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

oh what a fun morning! I love good bike rides ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Looks like a gorgeous day (completed with a equally gorgeous looking smoothie..yum)
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..Introductions

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm

How fun to have so many training partners! I’m training for my second marathon and I would love someone to do my long runs with ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Yet

25 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

When I was on the spin bike today I was thinking how much I want to do a triathlon! My fingers are SUPER crossed that my parents will consider getting my a road bike for my graduation present in December. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Rollin&8217 With The Punches

26 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

ahhhh looks like a great run but MOST OF ALL can’t wait to see pictures from the Bridal Show!

As a fellow MOH, my bride’s wedding is nearly upon us, and I’m just getting so excited for all the hooplah and hullabaloo!!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

27 Brittany (BrittanyandTahn) June 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I love your dog! She is so cute!!
Brittany (BrittanyandTahn) recently posted..Smoke Alarms and Tahnee Lynn