A Party for Brides

by Meghann on June 12, 2011

Today was all about the brides. πŸ™‚

My future sister-in-law and sister were all smiles this afternoon for the Perfect Wedding Guide’s Summer Bridal Expo at the Orlando Hilton. They’re both in the midst of wedding planning and the event was advertised as a one stop shop for wedding vendors in the Orlando area. They were eager to learn and the vendors were hungry for business – it was a win win.

The expo itself was a madhouse of free samples, crazy brides, and numbers that made my head spin. (Weddings are expensive!) It was also a huge learning experience of discovering what each bride really wanted and what they didn’t care for.

There was lots of cake

(and cake samples!)

There were caterers

IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0732.JPG

There were drinks!

(Cotton Candy Martinis aren’t quite as tasty without the alcohol. :/ )

And there were photo booths!

IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

There was also venues, DJs, flowers, etc., but obviously I gravitated towards the fun stuff. πŸ˜‰

We had a blast exploring the expo and even ran into a few people we knew along the way (Orlando is a LOT smaller than people think). Kelly and Ashley didn’t sign on to anything yet, but it did give both of them ideas of what they want for the future. It also taught me that I’m ok not planning a wedding right now. Wedding planning is crazy stuff – I’m just fine being the maid of honor. Bring on the bachelorette party… bring. it. on. πŸ˜‰

After the expo we were all starving (despite eating our weight in cake and chocolate) and decided to head down the road to Bahama Breeze for a late lunch.

I ordered the Grilled Chicken and Fruit Salad which came with lots of delicious fresh fruit, slivered almonds, and salty goat cheese.

The salad was really good. I’m still feeling dehydrated from yesterday, so the fresh fruit really hit the spot.

I hugged and kissed the brides good bye before heading back to Tampa. Again, the drive was a pleasant one. I’ve made the drive so many times in the past couple of months that it’s starting to become second nature to me. In fact, I’ll be heading back to Orlando this week at some point and then again on Saturday. Such is life.

Once home Derek and I made a simple dinner of roasted veggies with pasta sauce and cheese.

The veggies included brussel sprouts mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and purple potatoes. The cheese was parmesan and the sauce was the Barilla Sweet Pepper.

Simple, but good. The perfect way to end a long day and a good weekend.

Time to unwind in front of the tv.

Let’s go Mavericks! πŸ˜‰

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm

wedding expos scared the crap out of my when I was engaged. They’re a bit over the top usually but the cake samples sound fun at least πŸ™‚

2 Katy @ fitinheels June 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Yay for bridal shows! How exciting for you- and fun to go with other B2B’s!!! Your meals look fabulous- I’m craving mandarin oranges now! πŸ™‚ Go Mavs!
Katy @ fitinheels recently posted..TR to the freaking X

3 Lauren @ sweet and twisted June 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Wedding shows are so crazy and overwhelming! Now that I’m done being a bride I so want to go to another one!
Lauren @ sweet and twisted recently posted..One Week Down

4 Mel June 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Wait, thought you’d be cheering for the Heat w/ the Florida connection and all.

That shoving match between Haselm and Stevenson was FIERCE. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

5 Meghann June 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Nah, Miami kind of lost it for me when they decided to make their own ‘dream team’ and got a little full of themselves. We’re Magic fans here. πŸ™‚
Meghann recently posted..A Party for Brides

6 Val @ Balancing Val June 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Your going to be wedding’d out by the time they both get married!

I found that being in the bridal party can be just as exhausting as being the bride! πŸ™‚
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Peace Day

7 Meghann June 12, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I already feel wedding’d out!
Meghann recently posted..A Party for Brides

8 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm

wedding expos are the best! Takes me back to my wedding planning days.

9 Kate June 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm

What a fun event & your dinner looks delish go mavs.

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I love wedding expos! When inwas a PR intern, I had a florist as a client so I would attend expos occassionally. It’s so much more fun to browse and plN your dream wedding without any budget concerns πŸ™‚
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in- purple sweet potato fries

11 Mac June 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Those wedding photo booths are awesome! I would love to have one of those at my reception, but I think they’ll be a little out of my price range.
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

12 Sana June 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Weddings = $$$ I am happy just dating!

13 Christine June 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Bridal expos are like car lots… Go Mavs!!!!
Christine recently posted..This is Very – adjective

14 Carissa June 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Yeah! Go Mavs!

I loved planning my wedding! It was a blast! I was fortunate to have my parents chip in.

I’m also so jealous of your bahama breeze salad. Have you tried the salmon tostada? My fave! Except it has about 1000 calories but I can never resist when I’m there!
Carissa recently posted..Lettuce Wraps and homemade peanut sauce

15 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

The wedding expo looks like fun! Even if you’re not planning a wedding, just doing the taste testing would be neat.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

16 michelle June 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

That looks like fun. Planning a bachelorette party would be a blast
michelle recently posted..Marathon Buddy

17 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner June 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

The best part about being a maid of honor (well, I’ve never been one, but still…) – when it’s time for you to get married you will know EXACTLY what YOU want for YOUR wedding! I was the first of my friends to get married and although my wedding day was completely perfect, there are so many things I would change now that I’ve been in all my friends weddings. I’m so excited for Kelly’s wedding – even though she still doesn’t have a date picked! I know you both will be just beautiful!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..food truck friday fail

18 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I LOVE samples! I’d go to a bridal expo just for those samples. And to watch all the crazy brides make some serious decisions πŸ˜‰

That salad looks amazingly fresh and so colorful!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..This Weekend

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love martinis, but cotton candy? I dunno about that one.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Remember what I said about the β€œflash” Re-thinking that

20 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the cotton candy martini looks like dirty pool water? All the other food looks just fab though! I am in your same boat – SO glad I don’t have to plan a weddings any time soon. I was the maid of honor for my BFF last year – that was enough work for me. Also weddings = dolla dolla bills!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..West Coast V- Balboa Park &amp The SD Zoo

21 RunningOnCoffee June 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I’m happy to say I never went to a bridal expo. I think it would have made my head spin with all the options! I got married where I grew up, but had to plan it from 6.5 hours away. I just priced out cakes/flowers/etc. from a handful of places I was already familiar with or had used already (i.e. florist for prom). I think that made it a lot less overwhelming!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Last Weekend- Dragonboat Race!

22 RunningOnCoffee June 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm

PS,
You reminded me that I miss Bahama Breeze! We used to have one by us but it closed probably 9 years ago. I didn’t realize they were still out there!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Last Weekend- Dragonboat Race!

23 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Wedding expos are so much fun! It’s like looking through wedding magazines – but real! πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Frittata for One

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I would love to be maid of honor! None of my friends are married yet- I’ve only been to two weddings!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Yet

25 Jessica June 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I wish I could have gone with you guys! We didn’t get done running around til 5pm! it was fun but exhausting, I came home and took a nap lol
Jessica recently posted..Bridesmaid Dress Shoppin’

26 Sally Kate June 13, 2011 at 12:59 am

i’ve never been to a wedding expo, but big race expos make me overwhelmed so i can only imagine!! such an exciting time!
Sally Kate recently posted..snooze

27 erica June 13, 2011 at 1:56 am

wedding expos are CRAZY!!!!

photobooths and free samples are my fave πŸ™‚

28 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 13, 2011 at 5:27 am

Looks like such a great event! Free samples are always good too! πŸ™‚
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..All dressed up with two places to go!

29 Khushboo June 13, 2011 at 6:11 am

OMG I love wedding cakes!! The whole day looks like a blast!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

30 Lauren June 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

Ah, I remember going to all those Bridal Expo’s. How fun! And it must be great to soak up all of the bridal excitement with them. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Weird Day

31 Hillary June 13, 2011 at 7:01 am

Watching my best friend plan her (relatively small!) wedding has made me want a future wedding with about ten guests. I’m exaggerating, but it really is SO MUCH work/time/money. Helping to plan these two will at least be a great learning experience for you, and I bet by the end you’ll have a great idea of what you do and don’t want!
Hillary recently posted..A Redhead Bakes Blondies

32 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

That looks like fun! Even if just for the samples. I don’t know anyone getting hitched. πŸ™
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Budget Living

33 Hope June 13, 2011 at 8:25 am

That bridal expo looks like fun! I haven’t gone to one yet. Although, I’m not really sure if I should since I am having a destination wedding in Disney. I’m not sure if it would be beneficial to me. It might be though just for the freebies! πŸ™‚ Looks like you had a great weekend!
Hope recently posted..Anything Goes…

34 Meghann June 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

A destination wedding at Disney? WOW! I want to get married at Disney! That’s so cool – congrats!!!!
Meghann recently posted..A Party for Brides

35 Mimi June 13, 2011 at 8:50 am

I’ve gone to one wedding expo while planning. While it was good to see all of the options, it can make for awkward situations. Sometimes I just wanted to be like, “You know, I’m not really interested in your product.” I swear, those vendors are hungry sharks!
Mimi recently posted..Crappy blender- great smoothies

36 Cait's Plate June 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wow I’ve never even heard of a wedding expo but that sounds amazing!! Also? Can’t get enough of those photobooths – whenever there is one around I just can’t say no!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Rottweilers

37 Alaina June 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

When I was engaged, I didn’t go to those shows. My engagement was only 7 months long and it seemed to be between the “season” of wedding shows. I think that’s the key to not stressing about wedding planning – short engagement! Haha. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Oh Happy Days!

38 Marissa June 13, 2011 at 10:30 am

That salad looks positively delicious! If and when I eventually get married, I’m definately going to have a nice, tiny wedding. Just our families, a couple close friends, a little church ceremony… and no crazy after party (parties suck!)
Marissa recently posted..Half-Baked

39 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

oh I love expos! I definitely figured out what I wanted before diving into all the crazy wedding planning. hah.

40 Katie June 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Ah, wedding expos: I went to 1 or 2 of them when I was wedding planning, and they were fun to experience. However, I will say that I did not hire a single vendor from an expo…I found much better prices (and in my humble opinion, some nicer/easier to work with people in general) by doing my own searches and having one on one appointments. More work, yes…but I think the results were great (obviously I’m biased, but I think our wedding was fabulous). Thankfully, with the Internet, there are so many resources to investigate with!
Katie recently posted..Blackened Mahi with Strawberry Mango Salsa- NoshGirl Chef Challenge