more ยป" />

Thirsty Girl

by Meghann on June 11, 2011

Water! Water! Water!

IMG_0666.jpg

I don’t know what it is, but I can’t seem to quench my thirst today! I’ve been chugging water like there’s not tomorrow and I still can’t seem to hydrate myself. I think the sun took a lot more out of me than I had originally assumed. Along with chugging gallons of water, I’ve also enjoyed two naps today – I’m usually not a napper- it’s so odd.

The water bottle is Camelbak’s New Groove Bottle that features the built in filteration system. I’m more of a fan of the bottle for the bite valve straw than the filtered water, but if you’re a filtered water fanatic then this bottle is for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0667.jpg

My day at my parents has been pretty relaxed. My Mom and I spent the morning napping and watching Bridezilla (My Mom warned that if either my sister or I turned into a Bridezilla she would have no problem setting us straight. Good to know Mom. ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

I made a small lunch around 2:00 using what ever my parents had on hand.

I discovered fresh cherries (yum!)

Pre-cut broccoli

And left over pork roast that I turned into a sandwich using a bagel thin, spinach, and mustard.

After lunch we took a trip to the local bike shop to check out clip-in pedals for my bike.

IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0647.JPG

Unfortunately the smallest shoes they had were still too big for my tiny feet. Fail. ๐Ÿ™

I’m still not 100% sure what I want for shoes or pedals. Cycling gear is as foreign to me as speaking Spanish (though I do speak a mean mix of Spanglish when prompted). With running gear, discovering what I was comfortable with was a live and learn process that took a while to work through. It was hit or miss for a while of bad running shoes, chafing tops, and blistered ankles, but I eventually figured it out. Unfortunately with clip-in pedals it’s a $$ process as well. Hopefully, I’ll have a chance to check out a few more stores to find shoes that actually fit my feet. I also want to price hunt online to see what will be my best deal.

These things take time. ๐Ÿ™‚

We ran a few errands while we were out and hit up a new Ice Cream place that caught our attention.

Cute, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

I ordered the Peanut Butter Twist (their version of a blizzard) which was made with peanut butter ice cream, reeses peanut butter pieces, and peanut butter cups.

It was rich, thick, and absolutely delicious. Definitely heavy on the peanut butter, but I liked it that way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dad made a kick ass dinner (but who’s really surprised by that? ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

There is nothing as good as my Dad’s cooking.

Don’t worry – I helped too!

I was in charge of sauteeing the zucchini and yellow squash

And I mashed the sweet potatoes with a little butter and milk.

Dad and I have a little battle over mashed potatoes. He prefers them runny and thin and I like them really thick. I maybe add a couple of tablespoons of milk to mashed potatoes when ever I make them because I really don’t think it needs it. Dad adds a cup or more and then added chopped pieces of potato for ‘chunks.’ We’re a like in a lot of ways, but mashed potatoes is definitely not one of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fortunately we both agree that Beer Butt Chicken maybe our favorite way to prepare chicken.

Guaranteed moist chicken every time. Love that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our evening ended with games

and grocery list building.

We’re spending a week on a secluded island next month and have to make sure we have everything we absolutely need before we head out because the nearest grocery store will be a 30 minute boat ride away! Meal planning for 9 people (and four dogs) for 7 days is tough! Especially when I’m used to just cooking for two.

Alright, I’ve got big cycling plans in the morning with my sister.

Good Night!

1 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Sometimes I get super tired when I go to my parents just because I can fully relax there – so maybe that’s what you’re going through too ๐Ÿ™‚
Not sure about the water situation, but it does sound like it is sweltering down South and water is needed more than ever!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Saturday Morning Wake Up

2 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I’m with ya on the sweet potatoes…thick and fluffy for sure!

I’ve gone camping a couple of times on a secluded island and it’s definitely interesting. We didn’t have cell service either, so talk about feeling disconnected with the world! I only lasted 2 days… ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm

A week’s vacation with family — that is something I so wish we were doing this year! I used to love family vacations.

Beer can chicken is the best!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

4 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm

That ice cream looks so freakin delicious!!! And I’ve been super dehydrated all day from alcohol last night ๐Ÿ™

I’ve always liked my mashed potatoes “smashed” with chunks of thick potato throughout!

I can’t wait to hear about this vacation. Sounds like just what I need right now…

5 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Oh man, thick mashed potatoes are the only way to do it!

6 Katherina June 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Wait you add a couple tablespoons of what to mashed potatoes? That groove looks awesome, I’ve seen it everywhere lately!
Katherina recently posted..First Taste of Yoga

7 Maria June 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Oh how I love Dutch Blitz! My family gets so loud and crazy playing that game! Then we get serious and you hear nothing but pounding on the table. Good times! I didn’t know anyone else knew about that game ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m with you – thick potatoes!
Maria recently posted..not too shabby

8 Ben @ Shirtlessben June 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Dutch Blitz is the best game for friendly competition! You can say that im kind of addicted to it.

9 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I NEED cycling shoes!!! Esp. for spinning, my feet always fly out!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Perfect Barbie Chair Salad The Last Day!

10 sara June 11, 2011 at 11:35 pm

dutch blitz!! i didn’t know people outside of pa knew about that game!
sara recently posted..have mercy on the man who sings to be adored

11 Naomi June 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Dutch Blitz! How did you guys get into that game? I just thought it was a Lancaster County (PA) thing!?

12 Kim June 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I would highly recommend the SPD style clipless pedals. They aren’t too $$ and have been great for my first road bike. It is pretty easy to learn how to get the cleat to lock into the pedals. Also, the SPD cleats are easier to walk around in than the Look cleats are (SPD is smaller). My two cents!

13 Maria June 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I am also toying with the idea of adding clipless pedals to my Cannondale. Can’t wait to hear what you decide to buy!
Maria recently posted..Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce

14 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes June 12, 2011 at 12:12 am

I was wondering about the water bottle that comes with the built in filter…
You’ve given me the green light! Thanks for the 411!
Good luck on your biking excursion in the a.m. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Cat June 12, 2011 at 12:17 am

Meghann! Yes, do it with the cycling shoes! It feels much more traumatic than it really is, I promise. I wrote about it a little bit in the blog I was using last year: http://mishmashcat.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/taking-the-plunge/

And plan to write about it on my newest blog — I’m non-committal that way ๐Ÿ˜‰

But trust me, it’s a little stressful at first, but (knock on wood) I’ve never fallen with mine in the past year and half and I’m super clumsy. For the long rides you’ll be doing for Ironman training, the efficiency will be super helpful, even if you can’t tell at first. Do it! Decent shoes should only run you about $90 and the pedals anywhere from $40 – $150….totally worth it. Also? You will feel incredibly badass about it all — or maybe that’s just me! But, hey, confidence is super important with these things!
Cat recently posted..Kind of a Big Deal- Part 2

16 Monika @ Powered By Paprika June 12, 2011 at 12:24 am

mashed sweet potatoes? yum.

looks like you’re having a good weekend thus far, enjoy it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Monika @ Powered By Paprika recently posted..Introductions

17 Emily June 12, 2011 at 12:29 am

I am so excited you played Dutch Blitz! It is such a great game-we used to play a giant version in youth group where the cards are the size of poster board. I’m Mennonite, and I’ve never known anyone who wasn’t Mennonite to know about Dutch Blitz! So cool! ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily recently posted..Thanks- karma

18 Katie March 29, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Emily, Do you know where you can get a giant set of Dutch Blitz cards?

19 being domUnique June 12, 2011 at 12:55 am

Gotta love Dutch Blitz!
being domUnique recently posted..Bright Eyes at the Mann Center

20 Bee Goes Bananas June 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

What card game is that? I’ve played it before, but I can’t remember the name! Is it Dutch?

21 Bev June 12, 2011 at 8:33 am

Try a pair of Sidi women’s shoes. They are good for small feet. Sidi’s are expensive but they last forever.

I prefer the Look pedal/cleat system, but Look won’t work in spin class. Another choice is SPD, which will work in spin class. A third choice is Speedplay pedals/cleats, but I don’t like them because the platform is so small.

Good luck!

22 Hilary June 12, 2011 at 8:47 am

Mmm…perfect Saturday (minus the dehydration issues)….lots of food and family. I think I’m in the same camp as you over mashed potatoes…..and that peanut butter ice cream looks AMAZING!

23 Mac June 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

Nothing sounds more heavenly than that peanut butter twist right now… I’m such a sucker for that flavor!
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

24 Meaghan June 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

I just wanted to say, I love love love love the blog! You’re site is definitely one of my daily motivators as I work toward becoming a runner (and generally improving my fitness). Keep the blog posts coming!

25 Molly June 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

obsessed with the sautรฉed veggies! I also enjoy grilling veggies until they get slightly charred– adds a nice crunch! Yum!

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 12, 2011 at 9:30 am

Definitely with ya on the thicker mashed potatoes. Runny ones remind me of the boxed kind!

27 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 12, 2011 at 9:30 am

what an awesome trip to spend a week on a secluded island! I wish I could do that!

Have a great swim! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Friday Fun Mood Boosts and Share Your Posts!

28 Caro June 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

Dutch Blitz! Amazing. Love that game. Hardly anyone over here in the UK knows it, but its sooo fun!

29 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m a thick potato fan, too!! And we had squash and zucc last night, too!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Budget Living

30 Nikki June 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I don’t know if this is a sign indicating something for you in the near future or not but I was actually reading your blog last night when my boyfriend pulled me aside and proposed to me. Maybe you’re next!

31 Meghann June 13, 2011 at 11:03 am

Holy crap girl!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 Lindsey June 12, 2011 at 10:21 am

Peanut butter ice cream is my favorite! That photo made me want to go find a PB Blizzard stat ๐Ÿ˜‰
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

33 Steph @ 321delish June 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

OHMYGOSH! Dutch Blitz!!! I love that game! My college roommate introduced me, and now I introduce my friends to that game. Good times:-)
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Friday Fact Day

34 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

One day, I vow to myself (and the internet) I will live somewhere where I can have a grill that will allow me to make my own beer butt chicken!

Looks deLISH!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

35 Lacey @ Lake Life June 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m with your dad on the mashed potatoes!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Union Block Italian Bistro revisited

36 Joanna @ braverealworld June 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Dutch Blitz! I love that game, but my family hates it so they won’t play it with me ๐Ÿ™

That ice cream looks delicious!

37 Lee June 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

best prices and stuff for bikes is at nashbar.com

I use 2 hole rodeo-2 pedals which allow you to ride clipped or you can flip them over and ride unclipped.

38 Hannahviolin June 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Ha, I came here to comment about the Dutch Blitz as well–seriously thought that was just a Mennonite thing…
Hannahviolin recently posted..Sunday night blues

39 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Dutch Blitz is definitely not just a Mennonite game, nor is it only seen in PA! We’ve been heavy players of it for as long as I can remember, in New Brunswick & Nova Scotia [Canada], no Mennonites anywhere close! [this is more to other commenters than to the blog post โ€ฆ]
Courtney recently posted..teacherloves- to do by one oclock- wash &amp dry &amp put away dishes clean sheets pack get the crap out of this town if only for a few days