Return to Lucky’s Lake

by Meghann on June 11, 2011

‘Twas a BEAUTIFUL morning for my first open water swim of the season!

I was up before the sun this morning with big plans of making the the 1.5 hour drive to Orlando to meet a few friends for a little swim.

On my way out the door I had a piece of toast with peanut butter, apple butter, chocolate chips, and a sprinkle of flax seed.

The early morning drive to Orlando was quick and pain free. I’d rather wake up super early and cruise along I-4 with zero traffic, then drive later in the afternoon when it’s bumper to bumper.

What can I say? I’m a morning person. πŸ™‚

Once in Orlando I met Amber, Kelly, Katy, Ben, and Eric at Lucky’s Lake for a couple of laps of the lake.

In case you’re new here… Lucky’s Lake is this great group swim that takes place every Saturday morning in Lucky’s backyard. One lap out and back is one kilometer, so swimmers have the option of doing one or more laps depending on what they’re training for. Lucky (a seriously great guy) opens up his property, bathroom facilities, and even his hot tub to all local swim enthusiast with no string attached.

I’ve taken advantage of Lucky’s Lake in all my past training for tris and am a big fan of the calm water and welcoming crowds. (You can read about my first swim – from all the way back in 2009! – here )

As I’ve been putting extra effort in training in the pool this time around I thought the open water swim would be a little easier then years’ past. Wrong!.

When they rang the bell – signaling the start of the swim – I’m not sure what happened, but I instantly tensed up and had problems controlling my strokes and breathing. The dark, merky water threw me off and not being able to see really threw my mental game off. I’ve never had this problem with open water swims before, so I was not expecting it. I think the the fact I was taking a breath every third stroke instead of every other stroke (like I’ve done the past) may of had something to do with it.

I took my time for the first 500m, mentally wrapping my head around the conditions. About 3/4 of the way through Kelly and I stopped and had a little chat before pushing ourselves the final leg. Taking breaks and not worrying about time kept me calm and happy.

Thirteen minutes after we started we reached the sand bank of the other side of the lake. After a nice rest and a quick catch up up with our friends we turned around and did it all over again.

This time my body – and mind- were ready for it . Mentally, the dark water wasn’t bothering me and, physically, my arms and legs felt strong. We swam the second half straight through and reached the starting bank a couple of minutes faster than the first 500.

IMG_0608.jpg

That second lap felt so good, I didn’t mind heading out for another 500. The four girls took our time swimming out to the first bouy and back for a nice cool down.

Overall, I was happy with the swim. It’s an open water base I’m more than pleased to start at.

After the swim my sister, brother and I changed into a pair of running shoes before hitting the road for a HOT three mile run.

We didn’t start our run until after 9:00am and by then it was just too hot. We pushed it through the best we could, but there’s no way we could have made it any further in the morning heat. Running in Florida in the summer is brutal.

When we finished I only wanted one thing – an ice cold smoothie. Luckily, I knew there was a Whole Foods down the road that would grant my wish.

The Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie from Whole Foods never tasted so good. I asked them to skip the bananas, double the strawberries, and add a tablespoon of almond butter for good measure.

IMG_0629.jpg

It tasted like a Chocolate PB&J milkshake. Love!

With the smoothie I also purchased a Top of the Morning muffin.

The addition of carrots and raisins to muffin always makes this a favorite of mine.

I have no big plans for the rest of the day, except relaxing at my parents’ house. I can’t believe I haven’t been over here since Easter! Way too long if you ask me. πŸ˜‰

Happy Saturday Everyone!

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Looks like a fun morning! While I’m not training for a HIM, I’m looking for new cross-training activities while I train for the Chicago Marathon. I’m thinking about adding swimming to the mix!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..World&8217s Biggest Lightweight

2 Amy June 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I absolutely HATE the heat. I’m currently training for a half in September, and already am hating the heat and humidity here in Ontario.

Everytime I want to NOT run, I think of you guys in Florida who are rocking your runs in heat WAY worse than here.

Canadians eh? We complain about the cold, then we complain about the heat! πŸ™‚

Looks like you guys had fun! Good job on the swim and run.
Amy recently posted..Doggie Humiliation – Part Deux

3 Alyssa June 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

We are workout twins today – I also drove over an hour for a group open water swim, and did a 3 mile run!
Alyssa recently posted..The time I trampled a cop

4 Val @ Balancing Val June 11, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I plan to move away from where I am now which happens to be close to my parents house. I couldnt imagine being away from my family but I guess it gets easier!

Enjoy your Saturday πŸ˜€

5 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Swimming in open waters always freaks me out… I hate thinking that there might be other creatures swimming down there.

But your morning sounds so fun and active. I think I’ll go make myself a strawberry PB smoothie right now!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Good Start

6 Cynthia @ Cynthia's Adventures June 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Great job on the swim and run!!

We had a bit of a heat wave in Toronto this week but today cooled down and made the weather perfect for running πŸ™‚ I rocked my long run!!
Cynthia @ Cynthia’s Adventures recently posted..Milton Duathlon pics!

7 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. June 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I absolutely love LUCKY. I mean I’ve never met the guy, but his website is awesome and organizing this, offering bathrooms, patches, stickers, etc for free is seriously one of the coolest things I’ve heard in a while.

Makes me want to buy a waterfront home and have this. πŸ˜‰ In my dreams….
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Salseria

8 Amber June 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm

You did awesome this morning! I was so happy to have great friends to go swimming with. It really helped alot. Thank you for all the support and cheering! πŸ™‚ It means a lot. Have a great day!

9 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm

That toast reminds me of a delicious dessert!!! I lahhhve apple butter. I have never done an open-water swim as a workout, only to float around! Haha maybe I should tyr that this summer!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Perfect Barbie Chair Salad The Last Day!

10 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Mmm, I love variations of “morning glory” muffins – the carrot in them is key!

Looks like a fun morning of workouts. πŸ™‚
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Peanut Butter Ritz Crispy Treats

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I think getting in that water is an accomplishment in and of itself! Nice job on the swim.

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I hate running in the heat! It gets really hot here in the late summer and fall, so I am trying to soak up the June gloom before it’s too hot to run outside.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

13 Charli [charlisquest] June 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Fun swim, you were right by me today! I love that Whole Foods πŸ™‚
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..summer break

14 Hilary June 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Looks/sounds fun! I haven’t done much (serious) open water swimming, so not sure how I’d do….and nice bread concoction too. πŸ˜‰
Hilary recently posted..Meat-free- the way to be!

15 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Congrats on the open water swim! Lakes seem SO daunting to me!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Tail of Two Cats

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Awesome job! Good thing you could get used to the water after the first lap around. I guess that bit of info would help people who are planning to do a tri without testing out an open lake swim.

Is the water shallow enough to stand?

17 Stephanie June 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

My Whole Foods does not make smoothies. those look awesome, i am jealous!
Stephanie recently posted..To Run like a Squirrel Or a squirrel run

18 Mac June 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm

What a great guy! That is so cool that he opens up hi property for random people to swim there!
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

19 Heather June 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Do you take rest days? When was your last one?

20 Ashley June 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm

One of the major benefits of living in Florida. I’m pretty sure the last place you want to swim in Washington, DC is in the Potomac… so we just stick to the pools. I hope y’all had a blast.

Who’d of thought— PB&J Smoothie… yummy!
Ashley recently posted..BBQ Chicken Like Whoa!

21 michelle June 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Here in WA I ran this morning and the temp was in the 50’s. I wish it would get up in the 80s and 90s here in the summer but that really only happens a handful of times.
michelle recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Track

22 Amy @ love4living.com June 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I live right outside Boston and the two whole foods I have gone too don’t sell smoothies. I have WF Smoothie envy.
Amy @ love4living.com recently posted..Got Sarcasm The pros and cons

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

yah for awesome open water swimming! How cool πŸ™‚

24 Amy June 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Looks like a great morning for swimming! The idea of open-water swimming gives me the chills…the dark, murky water, and the depth! I took years of swimming lessons in small, inland lakes…but it’s been SO long since I’ve done it!
Have a great weekend, girl!

25 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Lucky sounds like such an awesome guy! πŸ™‚ and how nice that you got to spend the day with your family πŸ™‚

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Friday Fun Mood Boosts and Share Your Posts!

26 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I don’t like swimming very much (ok at all) and swimming in a lake freaks me out! I don’t like not being able to see what is lurking under there. πŸ™
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

27 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Ah, what a beautiful way to start your day! Especially with the promise of a muffin with carrots, yes please!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool