more ยป" />

Oldsmar Tap House 5k

by Meghann on June 10, 2011

A bar sponsored 5k on a Friday night with all you can drink beer at the end?

Don’t mind if I do! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I first heard about the Oldsmar Tap House 5k when I moved to Tampa back in March. Every runner I met knew about the race and every runner told me I had to to do it. The ‘5k’ is really a 3 mile fun run excuse to get you to the big party (and all you can drink beer) at the end. There’s no timing chips, but the first 50 male and female finishers do win ‘das boot.’ :)

I fueled up before the 7:00pm start time with a 3 minute Peanut Butter Cookie at 3:30 and a tiny apple around 5:00. I wasn’t quite sure what to eat before a late run (I’m a morning runner), but this seemed to hold me until after the race.

IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

It was a beautiful evening for a race. Clear skies, shining skies, and highs in the upper 80s. It’s definitely summer time in Florida!

Derek and I arrived just in time to pick up our race shirts, say hi to a friend, and squeeze into the start area.

As this was a fun run (and un-corraled race) the start was a little crazy. There were 2,000 runners of all different level standing anywhere and everywhere. They were in it for the beer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was warned this was a hot race and not to push it (unless I wanted to feel like I was dying). Good to know. Instead of going all out, I decided to stick with Derek at his pace. This was his first race since January and only second run since that. I was full prepared to take it easy and just enjoy the run.

At 7:00pm on the top the crowds were off.

The race was a pretty simple loop that took us around the gorgeous suburban neighborhoods of Oldsmar. All flat, no hills, and great pavement to run on – all good minus the awful sun. The run got HOT.

For not running consistently the last 5 months, Derek did great! We kept a 10 minute pace the majority of the race and only walked a handful of times. Even when we did walk Derek said ‘I probably could run, I just don’t want to’ – doesn’t say much for his desire to race, but shows he still has endurance. :)

I loved the quite houses along the water. I want to live here!

It wasn’t long before the finish line was in reach.

Just a little further…

Almost got it….

We headed straight to the beer tents. Obviously. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Free home brew? Yes please!

I also ran into my friend Sarah in line. Hi Sarah!

We tried the Strawberry Wheat. It was a little too ‘wine cool beer’ for my taste.

The Summerfest Sierra Nevada brew was more my style.

Oh yeah. That’s the spot.

Post-race I grabbed a Mango Rita’s Italian Ice Sample (yum!)

And Derek and I split a mini bag of kettle corn. (Double yum! Totally grabbed another one to take home.)

Major Congrats to Courtney for being one of the top 50 female finishers to win a boot! My goal for next year is to come home with one too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

At this point Derek and I decided to turn the after party into a free dinner.

Starting with FREE Tijuana Flats

IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0569.JPG

(Chicken Taco!)

And the Taphouse sausage and potato salad.

And more Italian Ice. Of course. :)

They had a great party going with plenty of drinks, food, and entertainment. It was honestly the best post-race party I’ve actually taken the time to stay and enjoy. A great way to spend a Friday night with a couple thousand sweaty running friends. :)

Even better having my man by my side.

IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG

Nothing like a late evening run to wear a girl out.

Good Night!

1 Wifey June 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Looks and sounds like it was a blast. I was sold at all you can drink beer …

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey recently posted..Staying on Track- Sauteed Shrimp &amp Whole Wheat Pasta

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Aw I love those pictures at the every end! Super adorable!

Looks like a great fun run! I was looking today at a 4 mile Beer Run in August in Gainesville (my hometown). Earlier I was like “nah, I’m not going to do it” but after seeing this race, I may sign up! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..World&8217s Biggest Lightweight

3 Amy June 10, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I’m so jealous! I wish Calgary had cool runs like this.

4 skinnyrunner June 10, 2011 at 11:07 pm

i gave my little brother a das boot as a gift. love me some beerfest!

5 Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm

So cute!! That race looks like a ton of fun! I want to find something like that for Dave and I. In Orlando.
Amber recently posted..Where did the time go

6 Carissa June 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm

They need to bring a race like this to Orlando!
Carissa recently posted..Spaghetti Squash

7 Sana June 10, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Omgggg the free food looks soo awesome!
Sana recently posted..Sushi King

8 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm

what fun! We need a run like that around here! So great you two were able to run together :)
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Friday Fun Mood Boosts and Share Your Posts!

9 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 10, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Oh how fun! I wish I had a beer run in my city (Chicago) :(

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Das Boot! Haha, my brother has one of those. Come to think of it, that would make a great cup for smoothies- my smoothies are huge!!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

11 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 10, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Haha it does look like a run to a big party! Exactly my kind of race.
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..West Coast V- Balboa Park &amp The SD Zoo

12 Emily June 11, 2011 at 12:23 am

What a cool race! I’m curious about the home brew samples, though. My husband is a home brewer and the laws are pretty strict. Maybe FL is different, but I didn’t know you could serve free samples at a big event like that. Super cool! Looks like a TON of fun. :)
Emily recently posted..Thanks- karma

13 Kate June 11, 2011 at 12:29 am

Do you ever think that maybe the stretched-out-arm-self-pics get a bit excessive on your blog? I like to read about your food and exercise but enough awkward self portraits already!

14 Stephanie June 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

I have an idea. Why don’t you just stop reading if you are that bothered? Love people that just want to be an %&$#! for the hell of it.

15 Laura June 11, 2011 at 2:31 am

Ha, I saw “Dunedin Brewers Guild” on the whiteboard and was, like, “WHAT?” for a moment. I grew up in Dunedin, New Zealand, and I would often google for a restaurant or something and have something come up that looked really good, followed a split second later by the realisation that it was in Dunedin, FLORIDA. :)

16 Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) June 11, 2011 at 4:28 am

Such a fun race! Looks like a great way to spend a friday night! Glad you had a good time!
Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) recently posted..Free Meal

17 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] June 11, 2011 at 5:38 am

That looks like so much fun! And making me nostalgic for America :) This would just not happen in France
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently love affair with language

18 Charli [charlisquest] June 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

Was your man “tweaking” something in that first picture of him? HA HA HA. Looks like a fun run, I love how Derek runs with you, my ultimate goal is to run with my husband….maybe I should start running?
Charli [charlisquest] recently posted..summer break

19 Derek June 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Good eye, Charli

20 The Teenage Taste June 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

What a great way to get people running. Motivate them with alcohol! Haha!
Glad you had a great time! ๐Ÿ˜€
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Homemade Quinoa Bread With Honey Butter

21 Lee June 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

This sounds like the coolest race ever. I wish we had something like this in Atlanta.
Lee recently posted..Nothing Weird

22 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 11, 2011 at 9:13 am

Love that the top 50 get a ‘boot’.

That looks like be most fun race – EVER!!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..An American classic

23 Jenny June 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

First time commenter here (but long time lurker)!!! I ran this race last year!! It was my worst 5K time ever but the after party more than made up for it. Looks like the turn out and the food was even better this year. How was the t-shirt this year? I love wearing mine, people always comment on the ‘will run for beer’ on the back. I wish I had decided to do it this year, it would have been great to meet you!

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Fun way to spend a Friday night! You definitely need a boot next year :)

25 Marissa June 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

That looks like such fun! I haven’t done a 5K since last November… I really want to again; can’t wait until a month or two down the road when I’m given the all-clear for running! I love Rita’s gelati–I’ve only been there once, but their pumpkin spice ice and vanilla custard were delightful!

26 Jordan P June 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

That looks like one heck of a crowd, but that’s a pretty impressive spread so it looks like everyone got fed and provided with enough beer and water ice, clearly it’s a well run race/event!

Never been too big on strawberry beer, but Sierra Nevada is always a crowd pleaser (and definitely one of those beers that I can bring to an event that will ALWAYS be gone by the end!)

27 Ashley June 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

How fun!! Y’all must have had a blast! What a great way to start the weekend.
Ashley recently posted..BBQ Chicken Like Whoa!

28 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted June 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Looks fun! I am so not a morning runner so I’d love an evening race but haven’t found one where I am. That does look hot though!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..One Week Down

29 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Is Derek pinching his nipples? HAHA!!! I’m glad you had a good run and lots of good beer/food after!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

30 Amy June 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Was Derek showing off his nipples? That pic made me LOL! :)
Amy recently posted..Doggie Humiliation – Part Deux

31 Coach Brian June 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I didn’t make it, but my friend Drew finished 3rd in that race! I ran into him during my long run Saturday morning and he didn’t seem very phased, though he said it was hot and he put in a lot more effort than his time would indicate. Of course, he was also back out running Saturday morning, so clearly it didn’t effect him too much!

Glad you had fun.
Coach Brian recently posted..Wicked cool stickers and a run with Ragnar Cary

32 Katie June 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

How fun! Is it bad that I had absolutely no idea about this, and I live all of a few miles away? Shame.
Katie recently posted..Wedding in the Desert- Party Time!

33 Karolina June 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Wow- this sounds like so much fun! If i lived in the area, I’d definitely be there in a heartbeat:)
Karolina recently posted..Fantastic- Fun Fridays