It’s Friday, Friday

by Meghann on June 10, 2011

Happy Friday!!

Who’s ready for the weekend?!? This girl!

I have a bar sponsored 5k (aka beer run) tonight, an open water swim/ bike ride in the morning, and a bridal expo with my sister on Sunday. Fun. Fun. Fun. πŸ™‚

Do you have any big weekend plans?

I hit the gym this morning for NROLFW 1A. Today was workout 5, which means I bumped up to 3 sets of 10 reps (and more weight) for every move. The addition of the extra set wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I actually preferred the higher set/ lower reps approach because that meant more breaks and rest between moves. I stepped up all my weights and was content with the ratio of weight and effort. I felt shaky as I was writing down the weights used at the end – a good sign I was working something!

After I completed my workout, I discovered a new friend at the gym.

The Stretch Machine (anyone know the proper name? πŸ™‚ )

ph_sp1000.jpg

(source)

Admittedly I am a horrible stretcher. I rarely remember to stretch (that’s bad – very bad) and when I do I feel it’s a half-hearted approach. The stretch machine above may just be what I’ve been looking for to cure all that.

• It makes stretching fun
  • There’s a diagram that I can follow, so there’s no second guessing what I’m missing
  • I can feel the pull/stretch
  • It only takes a few minutes

I’ve actually been curious about the stretching machine for a while, so I’m glad I finally took it for a test run. It took 5 minutes and my body instantly felt relaxed afterwards.

I’m hoping to make it part of my post-workout routine from now on. Stretching is so important in preventing injury! This is just what I need to make sure it gets done!

Are you a good stretcher? How do you work stretching into your routine?

Breakfast

Big bowl of cereal included

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerio
  • 1/4 cup Granola
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries

You can’t tell from the photos, but this bowl was really half blueberries. Blueberries are so good right now! πŸ™‚

It may be Friday, but it’s still a work day. Time to work!

See ya!

1 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’m alright with stretching, but I could definitely be better…

I LOVE me a big ‘ol cereal combo bowl! I do them all the time. Currently I’m combining, like, 3 different Kashi’s at once. πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..How To Make Last Minute Iced Coffee

2 Ali June 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’ve always been a bit intrigued by the stretching machine, actually. I’d love to see some stretches demonstrated because even with the diagrams I tend to be a little confused about what the heck to do on it. Something tells me I wouldn’t be very graceful!

Happy weekend!

3 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

This is where having a photo taking gym friend would come in handy! πŸ™‚

4 Amy June 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

I don’t know what that stretching machine is called, but there are 3 at my gym and I LOVE them! They do feel much better after at tough workout, and I’m terrible at stretching on my own.
Happy weekend!
Amy recently posted..Two smoothies and a book review!

5 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

I was just saying that I need to stretch more. I just have to make sure to stretch while i’m still at the gym instead of pretending I’ll stretch at home. I definitely need to stretch this weekend before my 32-mile bike ride on Sunday πŸ™‚
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Cooking for Two

6 Lindsey June 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

I have never seen one of those machines! I am a horrible stretcher so that machine might help me out there πŸ˜‰

Weekend plans include a farmers market visit, baby shower, stagette and planting my flower pots!
Lindsey recently posted..Whats Up Wednesday!

7 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’m horrible at stretching too and it doesn’t help that I’m always reading conflicting sources about when to stretch, how often and whether or not it’s even good for you.

By the way, your title has now gotten that Rebecca Black song stuck in my head. Lol.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eden’s Fresh Co

8 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

haha – my plan worked!

9 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas June 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

I was just eying that machine at the gym yesterday! I’ll have to give it a try!
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Three Things Thursday- Super Mega Awesome Day Edition

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

That stretching thing always makes me feel awkward. I’d rather stretch on a mat

11 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 10, 2011 at 10:07 am

I’m actually a good stretcher when I go to a gym, but when I’m working out/running from home, it takes way more motivation to stretch!

Your weekend sounds so awesome πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..On Eating and eating

12 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

Ugh, I’ll admit, I’m an AWFUL stretcher!! When I used to do yoga occasionally, I felt much better, but just got so bored! Maybe that means I’m not happy with my own thoughts… but more likely, it just means I’m a kicker/puncher/lifter/jumper/dancer and less of a stretcher.

However, if I can find one of those machines at the gym, maybe I could make it work!

13 Dori June 10, 2011 at 10:11 am

That machine always confused me, but now I would really like to try it. Like you, I am terrible when it comes to stretching. And I am always injured, so it is my own fault.
Dori recently posted..On Not Being Dumb Again

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’ve never used that stretching machine before — I just do stretches at home on my yoga mat. Honestly after a few downdogs I’m good to go!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

My hands shake too as I write the reps and weights down. guess that’s a good thing!

16 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life June 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

I loooove stretching it feels sooo good after a long workout!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Welcome to Foodie Friday!

17 Khushboo June 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

You & Courtney always spur on a cereal craving for me!!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 10, 2011 at 10:26 am

I rarely stretch… that may be why I can’t touch my toes!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

19 Fit Chick Britt June 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’ve never used the stretch machine either. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to figure out what to do. Sounds like a fun weekend planned! My Hubby and I are going to the beach for our one year anniversarry. Can’t wait!

20 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

I must find a beer run one day. How awesome!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

21 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

This will be my first! I can’t wait!

22 Amber June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

Absolute horrible stretcher!! But, I am racing my first Half Ironman event this weekend. Boise 70.3!

23 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Woop! Woop! Good Luck!!!

24 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 10, 2011 at 10:31 am

I am the WORST stretcher, and I can feel the consequences every day. I am pretty sure I am at least 6 inches taller, I just need to loosen up the kinks in these muscles. That machine (with accompanying diagram) sounds lovely…

No big plans for the weekend. After three weeks of travel for business and then pleasure, I am happy to be home and just want to chill out. I predict a lovely Sunday afternoon nap with HGTV in the background…I get some great sleep while Sabrina Soto rearranges other people’s furniture for them!

25 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I <3 Sabrina Soto. My dream is she will come and 'stage' my house, but after she stages I'll just keep living here.

26 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

At the end of EVERY episode you know the people are thinking: 1) why didn’t we do this while we were actually living here?, and 2) this place looks great, let’s not move!

SS is a staging rock star (and adorable to boot)!
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..St my brother says

27 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 10, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’ll admit it, I rarely stretch.. I’m trying to get better about this..

Beer run sounds fun though! What’s your favorite beer??
Monika @ Powered by Paprika recently posted..Introductions

28 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m a brown ale/ craft beer girl myself. I like dark, rich beers.

29 Elizabeth June 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

Just like you I would always walk past the stretcher and now I stop and work it out! I love them! They really do help so much! I was super surprised how well they stretched my legs after a long run.

30 Hope June 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

Happy Friday! πŸ™‚ I need to start stretching. I can’t even touch my toes! πŸ™
Hope recently posted..Frozen Hot Chocolate &amp A Massive Supply of Brussels Sprouts…

31 Renee June 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

I would love to have one of those stretching machines at my gym- I’m horrible at stretching- this would definitely encourage me to stretch! Hopefully you can find a photo friend for the gym so you can show how to use it sometime!

32 Erica June 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

I am usually an awful stretcher too but I started doing some yoga (class and on my own) a couple times a week and have totally noticed a difference so now I make time for it. Even if its in the shower after the work out (better than nothing right?!). I also injured my IT band from not stretching properly…so it’s definitely worth it. Maybe pick a fabulous stretching/cool down song that you will want to listen to!
Erica recently posted..Reflection Why look anywhere else

33 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma June 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

That stretching machine looks and sounds cool – I have never used one (I’m so curious now). I always forget to stretch before/after working out. BUT I always stretch before I play softball – I try to stretch my legs good, I have pulled my quads MANY MANY times – that is a hurtful thing. The worst was pulling them in both my legs during a game and had to continue to play…that was so painful – I did a stretch before the game that I wasn’t used to….never again, I’ll stick to what I know!!
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..Ate – Eight 8

34 Marisa E June 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

I don’t know the proper name of the stretch machine but I have them at my gym and love it. I am a HORRIBLE stretcher and have dealt with injuries that could have been prevented had a stretched properly. Live and learn, right?

35 Alaina June 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

I definitely don’t stretch enough. It’s hurt me in the past with races.

I think I’m going to try the NROLFW. It seems like it’s works well! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Oh Happy Days!

36 Courtney June 10, 2011 at 11:46 am

I <3 stretching. I usually stretch for 8-10 minutes total before and after my workout. I think once you notice a decrease in soreness, you'll be more inclined to stretch more often. πŸ™‚ That difference did it for me!

37 Belinda June 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

I love the stretch machine. I’ve been using it for over 10 years now and feel so sad if I move towns or gyms and they don’t have one.

I’ve never tried almond butter, but I’ve noticed you use it alot πŸ™‚ What is the benefit of the almond butter over peanut butter?

38 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Not much benefit, but I prefer the taste. πŸ™‚

39 Sarah June 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

Get a foam roller, it will change your life!

40 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I have one! I just never remember to use it.

41 Sarah June 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

The MobilityWOD blog is a great palce to start learning how to use it, his stuff can get pretty extreme because he’s a Crossfit guy, but the principles that he shows with the foam roller and the lacrosse ball are awesome!

42 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 10, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I loooovvvee stretching! It feels amazing. I think that is why I have never been injured in all my years o an active lifestyle!

43 Holly June 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I never, ever….EVER stretch unless I feel stiff, and even then I only do for a couple minutes. I know I should….but I just don’t. Haha, bad habit I need to break.
Holly recently posted..First Track Workout Ever

44 Coach Brian June 10, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I used to be a religious user of the stretch machine after my workouts, but I’ve been incorporating more yoga and haven’t hit the stretch machine in a long time. I’ve found that the breathing incorporated into the yoga poses actually relaxes me more than the stretch machine did. If you tend to ignore stretching, though then the stretch machine is probably a good way to start. I was a notorious non-stretcher before the stretch machine…and no, I still don’t know what it’s actually called.
Coach Brian recently posted..Post Disney Speed Work

45 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I definitely got a lot better with stretching and icing after my shin injury. Now I make it a POINT to stretch and ice after every workout!!!!!!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..World&8217s Biggest Lightweight

46 Melissa June 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I am terrible about stretching! I need to learn to take the time to do it! That machine looks amazing!

47 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Your weekend sounds FUN!!! My weekend involves working tonight and ALL day and night tomorow and Sunday. FUN stuff!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Tail of Two Cats

48 Ali @ Ali Runs June 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’ve tried a similar stretching machine before but I’m not entirely sure I did it right and haven’t been back since. I’m the worst stretcher ever and REALLY hate it. Good luck with your 5K tonight, sounds like it’ll be a fun one! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Tennis Date

49 Laura June 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I always stretch but probably not for as long as I should. I just started using that same machine at my gym after getting set up with their exercise tracking program, and just like you said, it makes stretching a lot more fun!

50 Clare @ Fitting It All In June 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I actually joke that I work out so THAT I can stretch! I’m naturally inflexible, so I have come to love stretching and gaining flexibility! I stretch after every single work out
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Priorities Straight

51 Amy @ love4living June 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Boo to me because I am a horrible, horrible stretcher as in I don’t stretch. I really need to work on it too; thanks for the inspiration.
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Got Sarcasm The pros and cons