Early Morning Friends

by Meghann on June 9, 2011

Hip – Hip – Hooray!

Hip-Hip-Hooray!!

Clearly jumping photos are not our strong suit. ;)

That’s better! :)

My GORGEOUS red headed, Mexican friend Monica and her manly man husband, Ben, took the red eye from Los Angeles to Tampa last night for a mini vacay with their family who live in the area.

Knowing they were coming to the area, I immediately volunteered to pick them up from the airport at 7:00 this morning, so I could take them out for breakfast and spend as much time as I could with my dear friends who live on the other side of the country (and who I surprisingly see more than some of my friends who live in Orlando. Check out our previous visits here, here, here, here, and here ;) )

My HIM training plan had me taking a 60 minute spin class this morning followed by a 20 minute run. Knowing I had to be at the airport at 7:00am I took the EARLY spinning class at *gulp* 5:15am!! It was a little painful setting my alarm for 4:45am for this morning, but once I was up it wasn’t that bad.

The class itself wasn’t my favorite spinning class I’ve taken at the Y. My previous instructors at my Y have all been dedicated tri-athletes and offered great classes that were aimed towards people those of us in training (that approach to spinning was one of the main reasons why I joined the gym!). However, this instructor was a little easier and not so descriptive in her narrative. Instead of saying ‘we have a huge climb to tackle or we’re going to hit rolling hills’ it was more of the ‘time to turn the gauge and let’s get out of the saddle.’ Not having the descriptive narrative really took all the fun out of it.

Plus, she got off of the bike during some songs and walked around. I don’t know why, but one of my major pet peeves in spinning classes is when instructors dismount during the class. Talk about a loss of motivation on my end!

I didn’t leave the spin class in my usual sweat drench, nor did I feel a worked. A good sign I will not be taking this instructor again.

After class I did a quick 20 minute run on the treadmill while watching trashy tv. Love it.

Getting to the airport wasn’t bad at all. Monica and Ben’s flight was right on time and we had no issues with traffic. Leaving the airport I may have got us a little loss, but eventually we ended up at Datz Deli where I promised them an amazing post-flight breakfast.

Datz is a great breakfast, lunch or dinner spot. Everything they have is made to order and mouth watering delicious. I’m always tempted by their amazing selection of pastries and treats, but usually stick with what’s on the menu.

I ordered the Popeye’s Rise and Shiner ( two eggs, nueske’s applewood smoked bacon or turkey bacon, smoked gouda, baby spinach, on whole wheat toast).

Wow. The bread was thick and crisp on the outside, but still slightly doughy in the middle and the egg, bacon, and cheese combo was just the right mix of protein and fats that my body was craving.

My favorite part had to be the bacon though. It was thick deli bacon that really puts all other bacon to shame.

If I could I would have another one of those sandwiches right now. Delicious. :)

After breakfast I was sad to say good bye to my friends. :(

Have fun in Marco Island guys! Wish I was going too!

1 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

What a fun little visit, albeit short. That sandwich looks TO DIE FOR as I pretty much salivate over anything with smoked gouda in/around the area of it…

I have to agree with you on hating when instructors stroll about during classes. It kind of makes me think that they are taking a break, which sometimes makes ME want to take a break, and it’s a vicious cycle (ha. cycle. spinning joke.)

Well, kickass to you for getting up and at em this morning, and being a quality airport pickerupper friend!

2 Ali @ Ali Runs June 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love your workout top! Where did you get it?

It’s too bed your spinning class wasn’t as good as you were hoping. I agree with you though–I hate when instructors get off the bike.

3 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Target! Like 3 years ago….lol

4 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’m so jealous of their vacay! So nice of you to get up early and pick them up! :)

I am okay with spin instructors getting off they bikes provided I get a good workout. Sorry yours wasn’t so great! :(

5 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yeah, I think I wouldn’t have minded the getting off the bike if I felt she had really pushed me hard, but she hadn’t so getting off the bike was the last straw in my opinion.

6 Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) June 9, 2011 at 10:25 am

Ummm… Please mail me that sandwich. It should still be edible by the time it reaches Brooklyn, right? :)

I’ve never taken a spinning class, but am so eager to try!

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 9, 2011 at 10:25 am

That sandwich looks delicious — that bread is so thick!

About the instructor getting off the bike — that would annoy me too. That is one thing that really annoys me about some workout dvds — when the instructor just stands there and tells you what to do — I like it better when they do it all with you!

8 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:41 am

That annoys me about workout DVDs too!

9 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

It looks like a great spot!

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

I can’t believe you went to a 5AM spin class! That’s motivation, girl!!

Hm I totally agree on the spin instructor front. I love it when instructors give descriptive instructions, so that I don’t feel like I’m just a hamster on a wheel.

Yay for friends :)

11 Dori June 9, 2011 at 10:35 am

That breakfast looks AWESOME. I actually liked when my old spinning instructor would walk around. He was so motivating, and would tap on my monitor in approval if he liked how high my RPMs were!

12 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

This instructor didn’t even mention RPMs! I prefer it went instructors give me something to aim for :)

13 Amy June 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

Spinning instructors are hit and miss for sure.

I used to have THE BEST one ever. He had amazing music. He was motivational. And the fact you could see his muscles rippling through his spandex certainly didn’t help either.

He moved away, and sadly there hasn’t been another one like him since! :)

14 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

awww… Sadness!

15 Callie June 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

Too funny – I feel the same way about instructors dismounting during spin class! I want them to power through it with me!

16 Krissy @ Shiawase Life June 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

Fun post! Glad you were able to spend a little time together =)

17 Ashley June 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love monicas blog! And yummmm sandwich!

18 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

I sometimes get annoyed when spin instructors get off their bike. I’m thinking “You’re making me work my ass off here while you’re just walking around the room?! F off!”
…but that’s usually because I’m pissed that they are coming up to my bike and intimidating me into riding faster. So I guess it’s motivating in a sly way.

19 Angela June 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

I hate that about some spin instructors as well. Especially when they get off and start yelling for us to go faster. If you are going to yell at me at least be doing the hard work with me!

20 Mac June 9, 2011 at 10:57 am

The spin instructor makes or breaks the course for sure! I have experienced both sides of that coin!

21 Karen @ Run Shop Travel June 9, 2011 at 10:58 am

I totally agree a good spin instructor makes the class (along with music) and like you; I like someone who pushes me and intimidates me a little bit with their “huge climbs.” I am not so annoyed when instructors don’t stay on the bike for the entire class because I imagine they teach a fair amount of classes a week. If you teach 3-5 a week that is a lot of hard work; plus they probably enjoy other workouts that they want to have enough energy for!

22 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

If the instructor had really pushed me I’m pretty sure the dismounting the bike wouldn’t have bothered me as much :)

23 Karen @ Run Shop Travel June 9, 2011 at 11:48 am

I totally agree – nothing is worse than unmotivated/bad music instructor! I once attended a class where the instructor played slow jazz, lol! That was the first and last time I went to his class!

24 Hope June 9, 2011 at 10:59 am

I would love to try a spin class. I’m a little nervous though because I don’t know what to expect. It seems like it would be a great workout though!

That sandwich looks so good! Send one to me, please?! :)

25 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

Try a class! They really are fun to take!

26 emily June 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

That’s so funny because I have the opposite pet peeve; I hate when instructors do the workout with the class! I’m there to work out, you’re there to work, stop doing the moves and come correct my form! :)

27 Emily @ comfortable home life June 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

Ugh I HATE when class instructors get up and walk around during class. I definitely feel you there. SO frustrating! The instructor can make or break a class.

28 Liz June 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

I’m a group fit instructor. Sometimes we have to teach more than one class a day and it can make us really sore! Lots of times, I walk around because I’m in pain from the class thirty minutes ago. Also, it helps us see people in the back of the class and make sure everyone’s okay.

29 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

Totally understand that. :) I honestly never thought about it that way before. I guess I’ve just been spoiled with the other early morning classes I’ve taken and the instructor stayed on their bike the whole time. So, it was something I wasn’t expecting. Besides the getting off the bike was just the final straw for me – she also had really bad music going (think 70s ‘she’s a brickhouse’ theme), had us doing weird up and down moves, never gave us an RPM to shoot for (I live and breathe for those numbers in spin classes, otherwise I’m loss on how hard to push myself), and didn’t tell a biking story like I prefer. It just comes down to personal preference with instructors. I’m such a spinning newbie too, all those reasons I listed above makes it sound like I need an instructor to hold my hand along the way. lol I’m bad – i’ll admit that!

30 Jodi June 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

The instructors get off their bikes to make sure everyone is good- in case someone is having a bike issue or needs more water. At my gym it is mandatory for the instructor to get off their bike 1-2 times per class. It’s also not up to the instructor for YOU to have a good workout. Especially in spinning. YOU shold be in charge of that.

31 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

I know I’M the one in charge, but a good instructor helps motivate me to push through it. I take spinning classes because I need the motivation to push myself, otherwise I’m just going to sink back. A good instructor makes or breaks a spinning class in my opinion.

And the instructor leaving her bike was just a personal pet peeve of mine because I’ve had great instructors where I see them turning it makes me want to turn my gears and I also like gauging the pace of my legs based on what they’re doing.

Again, it’s just personal preference. :)

32 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

That’s definitely a pet peeve of mine too – I really don’t like when instructors just tell you what to do and stand there watching you. I can understand that they might be teaching several classes in a day or have some kind of injury, but I learn a lot better by following a demonstration, and it makes me feel like I definitely can’t do the moves if they can’t.

33 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

That’s my thought process.

34 Kristie June 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

I figure spin instructors shouldn’t be going out the whole class because they are probably teaching another 3, 4 classes that day, maybe even immediately before/after the one I’m in. Besides, if I just want to watch someone tell me what to do I’ll pop in a video! :)

35 Bethany June 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

That sandwich looks incredible! I wanna go home and make that right now :)

36 kate June 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

Music definitely makes or breaks spinning classes I have a hard time pushing myself if there is not upbeat tunes!

37 Shannon June 9, 2011 at 11:46 am

5:15 is so early for a spin class! I am not sure if I would have been able to get up that early

38 Midwestern Magnolia June 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

Sorry your workout wasn’t great today, but I have to tell you that you are looking super skinny and toned! Looks like the new lifting routine is paying off, girlfriend! : )

39 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 9, 2011 at 11:58 am

Great job on the 5:15AM spin class although it wasn’t with the best instructor. That’s fantastic! Your breakfast sandwich looks awesome too. Isn’t funny how the littlest things can change a sandwich? Just a different kind of cheese or a different cut of bacon.

40 Angela@pinching and packing June 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Datz = Best Restaurant Ever, seriously. I was just there Sunday and will be back again soon.

Thanks for the tip about the spinning class. I go to the same Y as you, along with the Interbay one. I am rarely tempted to get up that early for the gym, but if I ever am now I know not to do it on Thursdays!

41 Kim June 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

That is my BIGGEST pet peeve with spin classes. My gym has one instructor who is famous for always walking around to “check on the riders” – I attended one of her classes with only 4 other people and she came and stood next to me, singing terribly in my face and just staring at my stats. I wanted to punch her, but I ignored her as best I could and kept pushing as hard as I could because I didn’t want her to ruin my workout. Now I never go if I see her as the instructor, but sometimes she is a sub and I show up to her teaching the class — WORST ever!

42 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Sounds like a fun vacation!

43 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I can’t believe you can make it to a 5:15 class, that’s dedication right there! Sounds like a nice time at breakfast!

44 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm

It is actually cooler in FLA today. This depresses me.

45 Halley (Blunder Construction) June 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Cute, I love seeing bloggers playing together (jumping, skipping, whatever!) What a happy little community… and happy before 8AM, impressive!

46 Tracey @ Tropicalhappiness June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Sheesh! A spin class, short run AND picking someone up at the airport all before 7 am? Way to make the rest of us look like lazy bums. LOL!!!

47 amanda June 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

i love those workout pants! where are they from?

48 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm

They’re Lululemon :)

49 janetha @ meals & moves June 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Lucky! Monica is the best.

50 Katie June 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I could eat that bread on its own! I love carbs. Yum.

51 Donna June 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’ve completely changed my training schedule and am doing my transition runs/speedwork/spinning and swimming all in the AM, before work, and saving my long stuff for Saturday/Sunday. Most days I have to get up at 4am (Our Y spin starts at 5am and I do a :40 run before and a :20 run after — I would love that extra 15 minutes!). The early morning stuff has definitely helped me balance family/work better, so it gives me some motivation. This is week 3 of my 70.3 training, so I’m hoping it will become a learned “habit”, and less painful! My spin teacher personal pet-peeve is when they spend half the class dinkin’ with their iPod and changing songs in the middle; “Oh wait! Here’s the song!” and number two, when the spin teacher can’t ride to the beat of his/her own music. I totally respect group exercise instructors, but some of them leave me feeling I even know more than them, and that ain’t much! Glad you got to meet up with your friend; you guys look like you have fun together!

52 natalie (the sweets life) June 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

hmm i think i need to recreate that sandwich sometime…esp with the gouda! yum!