Baby Fix

by Meghann on June 9, 2011

Babies are addicting. Once you hold one you have to keep going back for more.

Derek and I got our ‘Marley fix’ this evening. We spent two hours taking turns holding her and soothing her with her little binky. Derek even helped change a diaper for the first time! Well… helping may be a stretch, but he did watch someone change a diaper for the first time. Baby steps. πŸ™‚

Before our baby fix, I made a simple meal utilizing our oven and stove at home.

The AC is still holding strong with the temporary fix from last night, so I’m rolling with it for now. πŸ˜‰

I even braved turning the oven on to roast some potatoes.

Bags of potatoes were BOGO last week at Publix, which is why you’ve seen me enjoying potatoes every night and will be continuing to do so until we work our way through the double bags. Gotta love potatoes!

While the potatoes were in the oven I sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, and onion on the stovetop with a little italian seasoning.

Last – but not least – the plate rounded out with shrimp that had marinated in the Fil-Fil Lemon Herb Marinade then sauteed on the stovetop.

The meal was simple, but very delicious. It doesn’t have to be fancy to be good. πŸ™‚

Dessert was courtesy of Miss Monica and her knowledge of my love for all things Trader Joes.

IMG_0502.jpg

The peanut brittle was extra sweet and crispy. Four pieces of plenty to please any sweet tooth.

Dear Trader Joes, Please build a store in Florida. <3 Meghann!

I actually have a brother that lives by one now (oh, by the way – my twin bro made it to LA safely after spending 2 weeks in Argentina and a week driving cross country with my Dad) maybe he’ll send me something good!

Or I could go visit him! πŸ˜‰

Must visit my brother in LA soon!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I bought that peanut brittle last time from Trader Joe’s. It’s almost gone already. It’s only been a week!

2 Michelle June 9, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I have been on a zucchini kick lately. Yum.
Michelle recently posted..My workout partner

3 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I’m going to Argentina too! Trader Joes is definitely awesome, hopefully they do build one near you, it seems like the perfect M&M store πŸ™‚
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..My Knee Hurts All The Time

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love TJ’s — we recently got them around here — it is only a matter of time until you get one close to you too!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

5 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Peanut brittle is amazing πŸ™‚ Can’t believe you ventured to turn on your stovetop!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..On Eating and eating

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Yes I love all things Trader Joe’s!

I want to either have a baby or for my brothers to have babies. I need my fix! πŸ˜›
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..When the Going Gets Tough- the Tough Gets Vegin’

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 9, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I would be so sad to live far away from a TJ’s! It’s one of my favorite stores πŸ™‚

8 Lauren June 9, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I don’t have a Trader Joe’s near me either, but my boyfriend’s parents had a box of sea salt dark chocolate caramels from there that they shared with me. It’s now officially my favorite chocolate combo!
Lauren recently posted..Finding Old Keepsakes

9 Sana June 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I loveeee babies, soo happy you get to play with one!
Sana recently posted..Sushi King

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

mmmmm LOVE Trader Joe’s, so so GOOD πŸ™‚

11 Fit Chick Britt June 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I wish we had a trader joes too! (Rumor has it we are getting one soon; I’m in Houston) Am I the only person that sees that the second “b” in baby is missing in the titles of your posts that have baby in it. Lol. Is it just my computer?? Am I missing something here?
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Upper Body Circuit Reality TV

12 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Which ‘b’ is missing? Could it just be the funky font my titles are in? πŸ˜‰

13 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted June 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

I know – my area needs a Trader Joe’s or a Whole Foods or something!!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 10, 2011 at 12:42 am

I usually love simple meals like that better than “famcy” meals.. they make me feel so GOOD!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Tail of Two Cats

15 Dina@DinaRuns June 10, 2011 at 6:01 am

We do need TJ’s in Florida. Seeing how packed the Whole Foods in Dr. Phillips is, I think there is a market for one.
Dina@DinaRuns recently posted..Good Bread

16 Kara June 10, 2011 at 6:19 am

It’s great that you get any level of newborn experience. The first newborn I ever held was my own! Oh, the hilarity of my husband and I trying to figure out those first diaper changes in the middle of the night when I was whacked out on drugs and no sleep πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Music and me

17 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I’m pretty sure the first newborn Derek’s brother held was his own. I still have no idea what I’m doing when I hold the baby! You should have seen Rachel trying to explain to Derek how to burp Marley. She eventually gave up and just took Marley back to do it herself. He hasn’t mastered the whole ‘you need to hold her head in place’ part.

18 Jessica @ sushi and sit-ups June 10, 2011 at 6:28 am

Seriously, what is up with the lack of Trader Joes in Florida? I did find out the other day that TJ and Aldi are owned by the same company. Not the same!
Jessica @ sushi and sit-ups recently posted..Eden’s Fresh Co

19 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

My Dad told me that! So strange because the two store are SO opposite and I am not a fan of Aldi at all.

20 Elizabeth June 10, 2011 at 7:04 am

That shrimp looked so good! Where did you get your Fli-Fli? I would love to try some because normally most marinades are just to sweet for my liking, and this one seemed more natural!

21 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm

The company sent it to me. They are based in San Fransico and if you are a CA native I believe some Whole Foods carry it out there.

22 Hope June 10, 2011 at 8:03 am

I love Trader Joe’s! I’ve never seen that peanut brittle there before. I’m planning on going there this weekend. I am definitely going to search for that! Yum! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Frozen Hot Chocolate &amp A Massive Supply of Brussels Sprouts…

23 Jess June 10, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve been lobbying Trade Joe’s to come to Colorado. We need one here!

All your baby talk is making me more excited to hold our little one in a few weeks!
Jess recently posted..The Do’s and Don’ts of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

24 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 10, 2011 at 9:44 am

How’d you cook those shrimp?

In other news, I’m totally jealous of your baby fix. I had lunch with my buddy who has a 8 week old, but had to leave early before I could hold him. Broke my tiny baby lovin’ heart….
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

25 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Just in a frying pan on the stove top. I dumped the shrimp in the pan and moved them around until they were pink. πŸ™‚

26 Nicole June 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

A little tip regarding BOGO at Publix: If you find you have two much of something when you get a BOGO deal just buy one of the product that is BOGO, you will still get the deal. At Publix (at least mine) you don’t have to buy 2 prodcuts to get the special price you recieve when you BOGO! Basically you get it at half price! Just a tip!

27 Meghann June 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

It’s not every Publix – Florida rules are different for some reason. They don’t do half price on BOGO and they don’t double coupons. πŸ™