No Oven Required

by Meghann on June 8, 2011

Lesson learned: Cooking while AC is out = Bad Idea

I’m sticking to smoothies, snack plates, and ice cream from here on out.

Or I’m voting for going out. πŸ˜‰

BUT with the $$ of a new AC staring us in the face, eating what ever we can at home sounds better. Who needs a fancy wrap or salad from a local deli anyways? I’ve got a big bag of pretzels and enough flavored peanut butter to last for years (or weeks in my case πŸ˜‰ )/

I also have carrots

Extra Sharp Cheddar and Broccoli

Yep, I’m all set here. No oven, stove, or take-out menu needed.

BUT, if someone comes home with something good…. I won’t knock it. πŸ˜‰

We’re having someone come look at the AC tonight and give an estimate. Fingers Crossed!

Barre54

Don’t forget! If you’re in the Orlando area I’m giving away a free month long pass to Barre54. Head to this post now to enter!

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) June 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hope your AC gets fixed soon! Mine was leaking buckets upon buckets of water last week and I had to shut it off for a day before someone could fix the problem. It was awful! I can’t imagine what you are going through!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Steps And Intervals

2 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Do you cut your carrots yourself a la minute? They always look so crisp!!

Also, sometimes, when life hands you lemons (in the form of a pricey AC upgrade) you just gotta roll it and thank goodness for your massive amount of pretzels! Like the way you think…
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

3 Meghann June 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Yep! I peel them and cut them myself. I love the way fresh carrots taste over baby or pre-cut carrots.

4 Hope June 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Good luck with the AC! I hope it gets fixed asap! This excessively hot weather is making me not want to cook. I can only imagine how it feels not having air conditioning. I really hope you can get it fixed today!

5 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Having AC is a strange concept to me living in the Northwest, but I will be moving to Atlanta in August and I’m sure I’ll appreciate working AC 100 %! Hopefully it gets fixed soon, I know I get so cranky when I’m overly hot and sweaty – you’re a trooper!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..My Tips for South Beach

6 Amanda @ Eating Up June 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hope it’s less than you’re expecting! I don’t have a/c in my apt either and it’s been 95 the last three days!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

7 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 8, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Haha sounds like a cool lunch to me! It’s pretty ridiculously hot in NYC today, too. Getting my AC on at Sbucks πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..City Watching

8 Casey June 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

We just got our central air unit fixed this morning. The damage was $540. That was for a new motor, plus labor ($90 bucks an hour what?) To continue with your positivity theme, at least we didn’t have to buy a whole new unit (which would have cost thousands)!!!

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Good luck with the AC! Hopefully it isn’t too costly.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

10 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm

love your snack plates. Wish I was in orlando to try barre54
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..DanceWorks at YogaWorks

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I hope you get it fixed soon! I know the feeling- my dad refuses to turn on the AC unless the temperature hits over 90… indoors!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

12 Tracey @ Tropicalhappiness June 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Good luck with your AC… ours just went out as well and it was SO ANNOYING. Luckily our pipes just needed flushed out, but it was still annoying to pay so much money for something so simple (even though we couldn’t do it ourselves). UGGG.

13 Stephanie June 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Ok the pretzels look amazing, where are they from?

14 Bee Goes Bananas June 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm

My fiance and I just moved into an apartment together and we’re trying to cut as many costs as possible. We were thinking we could live without A/C, but at this rate, we’re definitely going to have to use it! We turned it on last week for the first time and keep it at 26 C.

15 Halley (Blunder Construction) June 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Too hot to make eggs? Breakfast for dinner might be a good idea for you on these hot days. Not too muggy in Beantown yet, but we’ll catch up!

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm

You always have me craving pretzels! I’m heading to the grocery store on the way home from work…definitely grabbing some! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Sonoma Wine

17 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Having no AC in high humidity? That is no fun πŸ™

I hope it gets fixed soon.

I wish I lived near Orlando because that give away sounds great!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..The view from up here

18 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma June 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

yuck for your air to be out in FL – my car AC went out not long ago, I live in FL too – thought I was going to DIE!!!! It’s fixed now thank goodness. Hope yours if fixed soon!
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..Ate – Eight 8

19 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I really really hope the AC can be fixed soon (and cheaply!). Up in the Twin Cities, we’ve been having a SUPER hot heatwave (up to 100 degrees!), and I can’t imagine having an AC that doesn’t work!!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Moving Day 2- Eats and Fruits

20 Bethany June 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

that looks delicious! and refreshing! sounds like it will be my lunch tomorrow πŸ™‚

21 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

AC is SO expensive! I agree with you about no oven during summertime. It heats up the whole darn place!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Ithaca Trip Part 2

22 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm

haha we have the opposite problem here in Australia – its too damn cold!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Steppin’ and Salmon

23 Angie Mae June 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Good Luck with the AC–we live in Orlando and when we first bought our home the AC went out 5 weeks later–in the middle of summer! So I feel your pain… your dinner looks great though!!

24 So Very Domestic June 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

I totally feel your pain too. We just bought a house with central air, but we don’t close till August, so we are trying to lay off the oven till then because our current house is way too hot! A cross breeze helps but man, the oven does not!

25 jodie June 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I wished I was in Orlando to attend Barre 54.
jodie recently posted..Product love and Routine