A Microwaveable Meal

by Meghann on June 8, 2011

Oh the joys of AC repair…

IMG_0466.jpg

Maddie was NOT a fan of the AC guy that came today. She about lost all her fur running laps around the apartment and barking her little head off. I eventually got her to calm down by putting her in crate, but she really worked herself up to a frenzy – the poor thing.

The AC man gave us one quote for a new unit and we’re expecting to hear back from a few more. Buying a unit is a ‘process.’ Ugh.

Luckily we’re able to get the ac to work if we turn it off for a few hours, then let all the water drain into a bucket instead of down the designated pipes. It’s a lengthy process that only allows the ac to work for a couple of hours at a time, but that bit of cool air right before I go to bed are like pure gold in my head. Good for my stinkiness and good for my sanity. πŸ˜‰

I spent the afternoon sucking up the free AC at Panera and chowed down on an apple on my way home.

*note* my bike isn’t always in my car. I was suppose to meet a friend on the bike trail, but the need to meet the ac man at 6:15 deferred those plans for another day.

Despite the semi-working AC, I was still hesitant about turning the stove or oven for dinner. So, tonight’s feast was 100% cooked in the microwave. πŸ™‚

The trick to microwaved ‘steamed’ veggies is wrapping them in a wet towel while they cook.

The asparagus went in for 2 minutes and the potatoes cooked for 4.

On top of the asparagus and potatoes I added a mix of baked tofu, artichoke hearts, olives, and topped it all with parmesan cheese.

The finishing touch was a homemade dressing of lemon juice, dijon mustard, olive oil, and vinegar. It was a nice tangy touch to the meals.

It was a pretty awesome meal for coming from a microwave. In fact, it was a pretty AMAZING meal no matter if it came from a microwave or not. Delish. πŸ™‚

For dessert I had a little bowl of berries and Attune dark chocolate.

What’s the most creative meal you’ve made from a microwave? I know I got pretty creative and crazy with mine in college. πŸ˜‰

Barre54 Winner

And the random winner of the Barre54 Unlimited Month Pass is…

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 9.24.28 PM.png

Congrats Grace! Send me an e-mail at mealsandmiles@gmail.com with all of your info and i’ll get your pass to you asap!

Thanks!

1 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Poor Maddie! My cats do the same thing–I swear they howl…like dogs πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Moving Day 2- Eats and Fruits

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tip on the microwave veggies! Usually I eat them raw or I roast them. But I sure don’t want to turn my oven on either!

I sure hope you get this AC thing working for good.

Usually I just use the microwave for heating up leftovers.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm

My bird freaks out when strangers are in the house. Poor Maddie!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Nice job on the microwave meal! I’m impressed!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping blues- summer break style

5 Kelly @foodiefresh June 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

You should check out the microwave steam bowl from pampered chef. I’m usually pretty skeptical of their “gadgets” but I actually own two and they’re pretty useful for steaming. I even cook sweet potato fries in them to get them a little softer before crisping them. They’re also great for rice and other grains when you don’t feel like dealing with the stove.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Breakfast on repeat

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Sorry to hear that you have to buy a new AC unit but I hope it will give you some much needed relief soon! πŸ™‚

7 Lindsey June 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thats pretty creative! I can’t even think of anything creative I have made in the microwave… egg and bacon breakfast sandwich!? haha, lame I know!

Hope you get your AC fixed soon, I was in Florida in January and couldn’t imagine the heat there now!
Lindsey recently posted..Whats Up Wednesday!

8 Amy @ loveliving.com June 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

It seems Maddie doesn’t like anybody lol except for you and Derek!
Amy @ loveliving.com recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- A Babble about Boobs

9 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 6:59 am

She doesn’t like guys. I’m not sure why but guys (even Derek sometimes) freaks her out.

10 Amanda @ Eating Up June 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

The microwave is a relief during this heat wave! Thanks for the tip!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

11 Steph @ 321delish June 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

That’s quite an impressive meal from the microwave!!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..And That’s Why We Practice

12 Ashley June 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm

mm strawberries and chocolate are such a great combo.. I need to eat them more often!

I love making spinach and sweet potatos in the microwave!
Ashley recently posted..Workout Wednesday

13 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Very impressed with your creativity! Cooking without ac is ROUGH! We don’t have ac in our house (only in our bedroom) and even just cooking on the stovetop creates a ton of heat!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Trojans

14 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 9, 2011 at 12:53 am

I always microwave sweet potatoes rather than wait the 30 minutes to roast them. I love coming up with microwave recipes, and I always steam veggies, cook eggs and make 5-minute mug cakes in it πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sweat and the City

15 Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 9, 2011 at 12:53 am

Wow that is a very impressive microwave meal!!

Is your dog a JRT?? I have one also, and my family breeds them, so my mom has 2 and my brother has one. Love them!
Amber Faye @ One “Faye” At A Time recently posted..deal breaker

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 2:02 am

Never knew/thought of that with the veggies in the microwave. I do it with potatoes in the microwave but never thought about other veggies. Good idea!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

17 greenbean June 9, 2011 at 5:55 am

this is why i love my toaster oven. it’s just like cooking in the oven, but doesn’t heat up my apartment!

18 Lauren June 9, 2011 at 6:49 am

I can’t even tell you how much our unit was to replace because its still painful to remember. LoL. I had no idea it would be such a costly mess when ours went out. But it wasn’t just our AC, it was our entire Heat Pump so I’m sure ours was much more involved than yours. At least I hope!
Lauren recently posted..Winner of the Sun Warrior Giveaway

19 Heather June 9, 2011 at 7:16 am

Your meals have really been slacking lately…I know it’s hot, but you don’t seem to be getting a full amount of nutrients, at all..

20 Hope June 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

I really hope your AC gets fixed soon! I don’t know about Florida but here in PA, today is supposed to feel like 105. I can’t imagine not being without an ac!

Love the microwaved meal! Very creative! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Frozen Hot Chocolate &amp A Massive Supply of Brussels Sprouts…

21 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

Ah, one of the recent top chef masters had a quickfire challenge where they had to make a creative and tasty dish out of a microwave only! Needless to say, many of those fancy shmancy chefs had no IDEA what to do with a microwave (one admitted they didn’t even have one in their home, let alone their restaurant!)

Looks like you did a bang up job, though. Esp with the asparagus, good to know that secret!!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

22 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

I’m thankful that my apartment landlord takes care of all issues relating to the AC, especially with the 100 degree heat in PA today. Ugh.
I think my cat is an exception to all pets though – new people in the house = new friends for my cat to play with. My cat knows no fear πŸ˜‰
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Cooking for Two

23 Lisa in IL June 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

Sounds like your indoor coil is freezing up. Did the “ac guy” add some freon to the unit? how old is the system, maybe you just need to replace your indoor coil which shouldn’t be nearly as expense as replacing the entire system. I assume someone cleaned the outdoor coil and someone has made sure the air filter is clean on the indoor portion of the system. if it’s a leak in your freon (hence the freezing up/thawing/draining/working/freezing cycle) many times the leak can be fixed. obviously I work in this industry – please please make sure you are getting someone who is liscensed, always get a second opinion, it’s is worth the extra money every time. I tried to enlarge the picture to see the serial number on your system but couldn’t. ac systems should typically last between 15 & 20 years even in florida.

24 Meghann June 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Trust me – we’re getting half a dozen opinions (derek is very anal).

He mentioned replacing the coil, but that’s $1200 and we’re not sure we want to invest that much in a unit that may break again in another year (the unit has been here since the condo was built in 1987!) It’s wellll past it’s prime.

However, we did discover the outtake pipe/valve/thingy is clogged and managed to unhook it temporarily and let the water drain in a bucket to prevent it from shutting itself off. It’s still leaking out the back too, so this is a temporary fix.

25 Lisa in IL June 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm

insert sad face here… $1200.00 sounds reasonable for a new indoor coil – make sure you get one with a ten year warranty (most manufacturer’s already have them you just have to register your new equipment) it shouldn’t cost extra $$$, if they tell you it does they are trying to make money off of you. the big issue will be the new refrigerant the government has mandated for all new ac systems. if you have to replace your entire system you will have to buy one with the new freon, it will cost you more.

oh and btw you inspire me, I have pulled out my bike and ride it every day after work in addition to my 3 mile walk with the dogs after dinner. some of your food choices are not quite to my liking but I enjoy reading you anyway tehehe. if I wasn’t petrified of water I’d attempt a tri, but since I can’t swim my next goal is a half marathon.

26 Stacey June 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

I just bought a new rice cooker that you use in the microwave but turns out you can make all kinda stuff in there like Chocolate lava cake! It comes out sooo moist that way too….
Stacey recently posted..Birthday at the Ballpark