Staying Positive

by Meghann on June 7, 2011

OK. No complaining. I’m going to take this positivity thing and run with it.

For starters, I could be upset that I got confused about which day the tri-team meets for track workouts. (Scratch that – I wasn’t confused – I was just out of the loop.) But, I won’t be.

Instead, I’ll be happy that I got a good speed workout in on the treadmill and completed my first set of Fartleks in months. Even better – I pushed myself to do 10 Fartleks when I wanted to give up at 6. It felt good to push myself!

I can also marvel at the delicious pre-run snack I enjoyed at Starbucks.

Tina’s 3-minute Peanut Butter Cookie Rocks! I made my version of the cookie (honey almond butter, no sugar, added a tablespoon of flour, and chopped dates ) and loved how caky and moist the results were. It’s a great pre-run snack. Maybe I should start making these before my long morning runs?

I guess I could complain about the heat and how awful my non-ac condo felt after the run… or how all I wanted was ice cream and pretzels when I walked in door. But, nope – I’ll remain positive.

Positivity lies in the fact that I prepared a good meal anyways. Heat isn’t going to stop me from cooking! No siree.

Ok, Ok… grilling sausages and boiling potatoes in a hot kitchen wasn’t the best idea. (I just hate food going to waste!) Next time I’ll stick to ice cream and pretzels. That’s much better than italian sausage, boiled potatoes, and saurkraut anyways.

Another positive note – eating outside on the cool porch is very serene. I should eat outside more often. :)

Ice Cream – definitely a positive.

More positivity? Derek got the AC working. It’s not permanent (there are pots and duct tape involved in the fix), but it’s good for now! ;)

I told you positivity pays off!

Barre 54

My latest episode of Meals and Miles is up at iZonOrlando.com!!

Screen shot 2011-06-07 at 4.09.52 PM.png

This week we’re featuring the Brand New Barre54 Studio in Winter Park! Check it out HERE!!

In honor of the recent grand opening of Barre54, the studio has granted a FREE Unlimited One Month Pass to one lucky Orlando reader! (a value of $125).

barre54 color logo.jpg

How sweet is that? If you’ve never taken a barre class before – this is your chance to check it out for free. Each 54-minute class features a mix of isometric exercises and orthopedic stretches that challenges every muscle in the body, creating long, lean, supple muscles and strong, sculpted physiques. The class is essentially what you make it thanks to the options of added weights and encouragement of taking it at your own paces. It’s perfect for a beginner or someone advanced in strength training.

If you’re from the Orlando area – or will be visiting in the near future and could use a free pass while you’re here – just a leave a comment on this post telling me what your fitness goal is this summer.

Mine is training for my first half ironman and completing the New Rules of Lifting for Women Plan. :)

You have until tomorrow evening to leave a comment. I’ll post a random winner in tomorrow’s dinner post.

Good Luck!

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’m likin’ the positivity!

I definitely think that ice cream and pretzels are an acceptable summertime meal. Maybe with a cool salad on the side to round it out??

Btw, did you get a new camera?? Your pictures seem different, but I can’t say how!

2 Stephanie June 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm

My fitness goal this summer is to mix up my workouts and be outside as much as possible (well, as much as possible in the FL heat!)

3 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I loooove eating on my patio, so nice!!

4 Bee Goes Bananas June 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Wow, that cookie looks incredible! I want to make it right now…

5 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy June 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

ice cream is always a positive :-)

6 Leslie Moore June 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

My goal is to tone and lift my butt! No, seriously!! This class would be perfect and I live 10 min away!

7 Heather June 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm

My goal is to increase my strength and flexibility!

8 Amanda @ Eating Up June 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Positivity rocks!

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I’m glad the AC is working at least for a bit! I’m miserable in the heat!

10 Meghan R June 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm

My goal is to run more and train so that I can cut my 1/2 marathon time down to 3 hours or less!

11 Jessica June 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Meg, our AC sounds like it was doing something similar to yours. We have an older unit and sometimes it gets clogged up, backed up, freezes up, then leaks down our wall where the intake is. We had a guy install this switch that shuts it off whenever it gets backed up to prevent it from freezing up and not working for who knows how long. It wasn’t expensive and that fixed our problem without having to replace the unit – i’d be interested to see if you guys are in a situation similar to ours.

12 Laura June 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm

My fitness goal is to FEEL strong and not necessarily just LOOK strong!

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Ice cream definitely helps in a non-AC house :)

14 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 8, 2011 at 12:11 am

Love the attitude! You can turn things around with positive thinking :) And tape solves a multitude of problems…my iPod Touch screen is shattered, but two pieces of Scotch tape have kept it going for more than 2 months!

Oh, and my fitness goal for this summer is to begin 1/2 marathon training — tomorrow! (I am not a Floridian but I visit Orlando quite often and would love to check out a barre class or two).

15 Daniella SMF June 8, 2011 at 12:29 am

At least you have heat! Be thankful for that. It was chilly today where I live…we’re still waiting for the real heat of summer. Sigh…I’m so jealous.

16 Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) June 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

great job with the positivity :) it works! …most of the time.

17 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 8, 2011 at 1:27 am

Another positive: you are probably saving a metric butt load on your energy bill with that broken AC! ;)

18 Tiffany June 8, 2011 at 2:14 am

My fitness goal for the summer is to consistently work out at least 4 days a week.

19 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 8, 2011 at 5:33 am

Staying positive is SO powerful! Hope the a/c gets fixed soon!

My fitness goal for the summer is to train for my first full marathon and to work on upper body strength too. So far, so good!

20 Dina @ DinaRuns June 8, 2011 at 5:49 am

My fitness goal is stay on target when I start my training for my first half. That starts next month and I cannot wait.

So glad your ac was fixed, it’s been so hot here not sure I could sleep without ac.

21 Jessica @ sushi and sit-ups June 8, 2011 at 6:38 am

My fitness goals this summer are to build strength, graduate from
10 pound dumbbells, stay accountable for working out via the blog and still manage to get in some outdoor fitness despite how hot it gets in Orlando!

Yay for AC!

22 Lauren June 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

It seems like a lot of people didn’t have the best day yesterday. But way to stay positive!! That’s all you can do sometimes. :)

23 Brittany June 8, 2011 at 7:34 am

My fitness goal of the summer is to focus on weight lifting & strength training. I recently completed a full marathon and am going to give my leggies a little break from running :D

24 Kristen June 8, 2011 at 7:36 am

My goal this summer is to challenge myself my doing a variety of fitness classes including taking a kettlebell, boot camp, and my first HOT yoga class!

25 Holley @ Smart Snacking June 8, 2011 at 7:42 am

My summer goal is to stay motivated in my training for my first marathon – the Savannah RNR in November!

26 Stephanie June 8, 2011 at 8:07 am

My summer goal is training for my first marathon! Going back home from Orlando to Detroit to run the Detroit Marathon…so excited to have family support at a race for once!

I tried a Barre54 class and really enjoyed it but would never be able to afford to go regularly…

27 Angela@pinching and packing June 8, 2011 at 8:12 am

I don’t know how you have been going without AC for so long. Its so hot here!

My summer goals include training for my first sprint tri with the boyfriend, upping my strength training, and working on flexibility – which I currently have none of!

28 Hope June 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

I think it’s great that you are so positive through this. I hope your AC get’s fixed soon!! :)

29 Carolina June 8, 2011 at 8:25 am

My summer goal is to train for myfirst marathon & work on my arms! :)

30 Elizabeth @Reading Between the Miles June 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

That is just a great idea to always remain positive, I feel sometimes I am really negative towards things but I am going to keep these posts in mind when I think a negative thought!

31 Olivia June 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

My summer fitness goal is to try some new group fitness classes; like Body Pump, Boot Camp, etc… Barre 54 sounds like it would be a great challenge.

32 Chelsey June 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

Lovin’ the giveaway, I’d love to try something new like that! I’m currently training for a half marathon in November- the Savannah Rock N Roll!

33 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep June 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m moving to Orlando in 24 days (yay!!!), and I would LOVE the pass to Barre 54 to not only get a workout but to meet new people and try something completely different! My summer fitness goal is to train for the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon :)

34 Kathryn June 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

My fitness goal is to get back into my fitness routine (these last few weeks have been rough) and rebuild my upper body strength!

35 ashley June 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

i’m at my ideal weight but my goal for the summer is to strengthen and tone my muscles. this class would be perfect for me!!!

36 Sarah June 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

Living in Orlando, I feel your pain at not having air conditioning right now! Glad you guys got it figured out. :)

My summer fitness goal is to build up my mileage and continue training for a half marathon.

37 Victoria June 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

My fitness goal is to cross-train during my marathon training so I don’t get IT band problems like the last time!

38 Grace June 8, 2011 at 9:12 am

My fitness goal is to sweat once a day! I also am starting my Disney Marathon Training in August and searching for a sprint tri to do, but I am still very nervous about doing a tri! Barre 54 sounds really fun!

39 Paige @ RAN June 8, 2011 at 9:30 am

Sounds like quite a few bloggers are really trying to keep up the positivity! It’s hard sometimes not to let the negativity get to you, but it sounds like you’re doing a good job:) Also sounds like you did a great fartlek run!

40 Kate June 8, 2011 at 10:50 am

My goal is to be more consistent with my workouts. Finding time is hard but I’m trying to increase the number of times per week that I workout.

41 Dani June 8, 2011 at 10:53 am

To complete the 2nd half of the insanity program without dying so I can look toned for my college reunion in July

42 MiaDuch June 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

I love Ur jack Mattie, I saw this 39secs ago I live in Orlando N I’m an active fitness freak. I’m your biggest fan in MCO n I had my second back surgery on Jan 2011 at Celebration Hospital and I feel like wonder woman already did my 1st 5 k. I would love to take my fitness to the next level so I should be the winner of Bare 54

43 Ali @ Ali Runs June 8, 2011 at 11:23 am

I struggle with no AC in my apartment in NY! I can’t even imagine what it must be like in Florida! Good luck and hopefully you get your AC working again asap!

44 Whitney June 8, 2011 at 11:24 am

My goal this summer (and always haha) is to make working out a priority in my daily routine. It always seems to be the easiest thing to just say “ehh I’ll do it tomorrow.” But then that turns into “oh crap, it’s been a week since I’ve done anything.”

45 Elizabeth June 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

My goal is to make this summer happy and healthy. I want to commit to consistent exercise and healthy eating. I will do my best to ward of my sugar addiction ;)

46 Mandie June 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

My goal this summer is to get myself to the place where I feel beautiful inside and out, as well as setting a positive example of taking care of yourself for the girls I coach in dance. After college I let myself fall off in quite a few ways (not very proud) but now I am trying to tack back my fitness, health, and happiness!! : )
Good luck on your summer goals!

47 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

That barre workout sounds fun! :) I’m glad you’re changing your perspective to a positive one; it’ll make all the difference.

My fitness goals for the summer are to finish two sprint tris (currently training for my first!), as well as prepare for my third half. :) Whoohoo, goals!

48 J June 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I want to win soooo bad!! I always say that if I had unlimited money and time, my first move would be to sign up for ballet lessons. That said… my goal this summer? Look hot in a bikini. :-)

49 Rachel June 8, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I have a few fitness goals for this summer:
1. Complete the Lucky’s Lake 1k swim
2. Beat my previous sprint tri time
3. Beat my previous 1/2 marathon pr.
I think I should be able to accomplish all 3. I would love to check out the Barre 54 studio, it’s so cool to have all these new fitness places opening up!

50 Doc (The Healthy PhD) June 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I have a whole series of posts about this, but I’m trying to maintain my running, up my biking, and be sure to swim…and do 100 pushups by the end of the summer. Did I bite off more than I can chew? I guess we’ll see!

51 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’d love to enter! My summer fitness goal is to be back at 5k mileage before my birthday on July 25th!

52 Meg M. June 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Love the positive attitude blog! But definitely empathize with the broken a/c! Ours broke 2 summers ago and it’s just miserable to be without a/c in the summer weather in Florida.

*My fitness goals this summer*
I am currently on running hiatus due to a torn meniscus in my knee and possible ITBS issues. I am having arthroscopic surgery for the meniscus tear on July 1st and am using my non-running time to do other fitness activities I have been severely slacking on (ahem, strength training). I am currently working through the beginner program in the Your Body is Your Gym book. I am 2.5 weeks into the 10 week program and it’s been awesome so far! I can see and feel a nice difference already! :)

53 Erica June 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

My fitness goal is to work out with my sister once I move home next week. She is just getting into working out and trying to lose weight. She could really use an encouraging partner to help her stay on track and stay motivated!

54 Becca H June 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

My summer fittness goal is to add more running to my workouts. I have always been more of a swimmer and would like to add more running/walking. I just moved to Orlando and have a lot of extra time.

55 Mara Shorr June 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I adore the inspiration that comes out of this blog! My summer fitness goal is to run a 5K (and train with an overly energetic black lab!) as well as tone, tone, tone! Change is in the air as I start my own marketing and fundraising consulting company! Keep up the great blog :) Mara Shorr (http:// MaraShorr.com)

56 Jamie @ getalivingsense June 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Mine is to get back into spin classes, and also start swimming again!!!

57 Stacey June 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

My goal this summer is to battle dysautonomia by strengthening my muscles and lose weight for my wedding in October!

58 Lacey @ Lake Life June 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I applaud you for cooking without AC! I would probably be living on popsicles, ice cream and margaritas ;-)

59 Angie Mae June 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm

My goal is to continue running now that I’m fully recovered from a surgery! I’ve been walking all week and doing GREAT!

60 Lindsay Uhler June 10, 2011 at 8:51 am

SO, the reason I would LOVE to try Barre 54 is because I’m getting married in September to the man of my dreams and nothing would make that dream more perfect that feeling GREAT in my wedding dress.

Fitness is something that I always want in my life and I think Barre 54 is a great place to begin that journey. :O)

61 elizabeth June 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I would love to try Barre 54…while I’m still 54. Need to work on increasing strength before I turn 55!