Cold Food

by Meghann on June 7, 2011

Today’s meal theme of the day is COLD, COLD, COLD.

I’m trying to think of cold meal ideas that aren’t salads or sandwiches… any ideas?

My lunch was a mix of a salad and sandwich. A left over tofu SALAD served on top of an open-faced SANDWICH.

The tofu salad mix contained:

It was a very refreshing mix that worked well as an open faced sandwich. I ate the top of the pile off with a spoon before finishing off the piece of toast hiding underneath.

On the side I had some carrots with Jalapeno Pretzel Nuggets.

The AC is still broken, but I’ve promised not to complain about it anymore. Instead I’ll enjoy the wonderfully COLD AC in Starbucks and count my blessings that I even have an ac that could break in the first place.

Kill negativity with positivity, right? πŸ˜‰

1 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Hmmm how about a wrap?! haha is that too non original? or cold pasta?!
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..Makin’Bakin’

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

A bean and grain salad is good… but I guess that’s a salad, eh?

A Vichysoisse, perhaps?

A really hearty smoothie can be really refreshing, especially if your A/C is out.

Canned tuna with a bit of salsa?

3 Freya June 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I loveee your combinations! So original and delicious looking πŸ™‚
I like your positive attitude! I’d probably be sitting there sweating, being red, and shouting at everyone :p
Freya recently posted..Ten to the Ten

4 Juli D. June 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I made some quinoa tabbouleh (allrecipes.com recipe) and it’s a delicious chilled salad (I know you said not a salad but I figured you meant green salad). You could mix up any other chilled salad too – corn and black bean, just chilled bean salad, tuna salad, etc.
Juli D. recently posted..Special in a Special Way

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm

All I can think of are salads, wraps or sandwiches! Cold leftover pizza maybe? πŸ™‚
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Friday Date Night

6 Hillary June 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Obviously you’re already a fan, but smoothies are my FAVORITE food when the weather gets hot. And cold pasta salads (esp mixed with pesto) are fantastic: you can load them up with veggies, beans, etc and it becomes a hearty meal!

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

good idea with the cold lunch and heading to starbucks. We don’t have AC either but we live in a garden apt and in Chicago so I think it’s a little cooler here!

Best wishes staying cool! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..When the Going Gets Tough- the Tough Gets Vegin’

8 Hannah Hawley June 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Chilled soups like gazpacho! Or chilled cucumber soup.
Broccoli slaw? Coleslaw?
Quiche served cold.
Fruit and yogurt parfaits with granola.
Perhaps a tomato aspic?
Hannah Hawley recently posted..Life is Good!

9 Jules June 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I was going to say gazpacho! It’s my favorite summer dish.

10 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Cold soup that you can puree in a blender would be my pick.

I don’t blame you for complaining about the heat. It is getting warm here and I don’t know how I would handle it without AC.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..A lemony morning

11 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Kath just posted a lemony lentil salad that looks awesome. I also like tabbouleh, wraps, smoothies (duh), and salads with a grain base rather than a greens base. You should also try some gazpacho!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..My Tips for South Beach

12 Jody June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hmmm…I can think of smoked salmon w/bagels and cream cheese, ceviche, sushi, and cold soup. Here in MD we also buy shrimp in the seafood dept. of the grocery store that is cold, but has been steamed in Old Bay. Or you could do shrimp cocktail. Crock pots are also great in the summer when you don’t want to heat up the house. We do 1lb chicken, taco seasoning and a jar of salsa, cook all day, shred the meat, and have tacos or serve over rice or salad. Stay cool πŸ™‚

13 Bethany June 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Gazpacho is absolutely one of my favorite go-to summer meals…so easy, and delicious!! You can also do no-cook nachos (mix corn, black beans, avocado, cherry tomatoes, lime juice, seasonings together – put on top of tortilla chips and add sour cream/guacamole/salsa). Happy cooling! πŸ™‚

14 Amy June 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Oh girl, I would be dying without AC, and I don’t even live in FL!
Cold meal ideas: sushi, smoothie/cereal bowl, potato/coleslaw (I guess those are salads, but not?!)
Amy recently posted..Goals and a kettlebell experience!

15 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I’d die with AC. I’m in GA so I totally understand!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Needing Motivation

16 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I mean without*** πŸ™‚

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

What about a summer salad. Like one with a quinoa base or something similar?

18 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Well since you’ve eliminated salads… how about an abundance of guac & humus and all of the veggies you can find πŸ™‚ With a side of frozen grapes.
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Cooking for Two

19 Emily June 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Cold pasta salad! But instead of calling it a salad – call it a “mix.” hahaha.
And I totally agree on the frozen grapes – ahhhhh-mazing.

20 River June 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Jalapeno Pretzel Nuggets look amazing. I must try. I’ve never heard of them before.
River recently posted..Game Review – The Sims 3 Generations

21 Kelly @foodiefresh June 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm

You could make a bean or lentil salad; gazpacho; hummus, cheese, and crackers; smoothie; cold pizza!; or a big bowl of yogurt with fruit, nuts, and granola. πŸ™‚
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Dressing down

22 Hilary June 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I made a nice cold soup with cucumber/asparagus/spinach/fresh herbs/green onions/salt, pepper and tzatziki last week. Also, a nice antipasti-plate type supper would be good too.
Hilary recently posted..Secret Ingredients

23 Luna June 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

When it’s hot we eat these cold:
frittata with balsamic vinegar and a side of yogurt-mint-garlic-cucumber … sauce πŸ™‚
zucchini or eggplant parmigiana
fish like smoked trout or salmon
pasta with pesto and cherry tomatoes
vegetable/eggs quiche (I love scarola + black olives + tomatoes + parmigiano or one with ricotta and spinach …I don’t know if you use ricotta cheese though!)
grape leaves rolls (or any other green leafy vegetable!cabbage maybe?) stuffed with rice or rice and meat, …
zucchini “boats” with tuna+capers stuffing
πŸ™‚

24 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Smoothies, yogurt bowls, cereal, hummus (or any of the awesome Mediterranean cold mezzes) are my favorite cold meals (with salad and sandwiches, of course!).

I just had a spicy tofu salad this morning! Only not homemade.

I’m also camping out at Sbucks, escaping the NYC heat while I can πŸ˜‰
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Scenes from the City

25 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm

This combo sounds SO good! I love those pretzel nuggets, too. The buffalo ones are tasty!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Ithaca Trip Part 2

26 Brooke @ bittersweetb June 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm

This is the same china I grew up eating all my meals on! It’s so funny to see it somewhere else. Home sweet home.

27 chris June 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm

i like cold grainy dishes – like a base of quinoa or bulgar mixed with a bunch of veggies and some mint. or cold quinoa and beans. yum! also a fan of this delicious watermelon/feta/tomato salad my fiance makes – yeah it’s a “salad” but def not one you have everyday!

or, just have ice cream for dinner! that always works too πŸ™‚

28 Jordan P June 7, 2011 at 7:51 pm

When it’s hot, I love to do chips/crackers/pitas and dips! hummus, homemade chunky bean/corn/tomato salsa, tzatziki, mmmm!!
Jordan P recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

29 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

It doesn’t feel like summer here at all- I haven’t turned on my AC all year! I try to avoid it whenever possible- my car doesn’t have AC so I’m used to sweating profusely πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

30 Rebecca June 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

WATERMELON is my go-to hydrating, heat-busting food πŸ™‚
Rebecca recently posted..Sweet Springtime

31 tiffany June 8, 2011 at 12:19 am

zaru soba! cold japanese buckwheat noodles…sooo good.