more ยป" />

How to Cure Baby Fever

by Meghann on June 4, 2011

How to Cure Baby Fever

1. Stay up all night planning a tropical vacation (We’re looking at cruises in October! )
  2. Sleep in until 8:30am on a Saturday ( a glorious 9 hour of uninterrupted sleep)
  3. Kick the dog out of the room when she starts whining about needing to go out (can’t do that with a baby)
  4. Stare at your future Half Ironman training plan and think of all the other race goals you want to accomplish before settling down
  5. Remember the best part about being an Aunt and Uncle is you get to play with the baby when the baby is good and immediately hand her back to the parents when she’s not so good

Baby fever cured. ;)

It did feel nice to sleep in this morning. I turned my alarm clock off last night and crashed hard. When I did finally rise Maddie and I went for a nice mile walk around the neighborhood.

When we returned we made waffles.

I followed my favorite Cinnamon Oatmeal Waffle recipe (the trick with this recipe is to bump up the tablespoon of brown sugar to a quarter cup).

I went a little crazy with toppings.

Hot cinnamon apples and a peanut flour + soy milk glaze. Yum. Yum. And more Yum.

Let’s get this Saturday started.

Feel free to add on to my ‘how to cure baby fever list.’ ;)

1 Kayla June 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

Sleeping in is a really good cure for it! As is a day spent curled up on the couch with a good book/a season of a good show on Netflix/a movie marathon. lol I kick the dog out of the room too – I’m pretty sure a baby wouldn’t give up so easily, lol.

Those waffles look great!

2 Michelle June 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

You don’t have to worry about having spit-up on your clothes all the time! I’ve seen cute baby bibs that say “Spit Happens” and that always makes me go awwww!

The best way that I cure baby fever is knowing that I want to travel and that doing that with a newborn or even a toddler would not be fun. Also, race goals always helps me too.

3 BethT June 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

Go visit either of your two new babies around the 6 week mark. That will cure you of your fever!

4 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hahaha! That’ll do it. Although I could give you a whole list of things to bring baby fever back too. ;)

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’ve been doing the same thing: trying to cure my baby fever. I think about all of the traveling I hope to do and honestly that does it for me!

6 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Appreciate the time you get to have all to yourself! Stop and listen to the silence. There’s not usually a lot of silence when babies are around, haha! Plus baby throw up is not a problem.

7 Kiran June 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

I have a major craving for waffles, thanks to you :D

8 Rae June 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

I strongly second the race planning thing….I have another Ironman to race before becoming Mommy-hard to pull off 100 mile rides with a newborn :-)

9 Ashley @ CoffeeCakeandCardio June 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

hahaha! Your post is too funny and oh so true! I’m not allowed to have baby fever just yet, but when I do I need to remember all that will be sacrificed. Isn’t sleeping in the best?

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

Haha I’m sure that Derek is glad your baby fever is over FOR NOW!

Definitely staying up until 3AM with friends isn’t possible when there’s a baby at home ;)

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hahaha this is great. I totally need a fix for my baby fever too…although I have about five more years longer to wait than you, so I should probably stop thinking about babies all together. I always remind myself of how disgusting a diaper looks and smells. Usually quells the baby urge for a bit.

12 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

The best part of these new babies in yours and Derek’s lives is you can give them back once they start to get fussy! It’s the best of both worlds :)
Can’t wait to hear about what kind of cruise you two are going on!

13 Courtney @ Third Time's A Charm June 4, 2011 at 11:35 am

everytime i see a cute kid i get baby fever! i also have running fever so i think i’ll just let God do his thing. his timing is perfect!

those waffles look amazing!

14 faith @ lovelyascharged June 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

All you have to do is work at a preschool for four months – that will permanently end any and all baby urges you might ever have!

15 Lindsay June 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

Take a three-hour drive (and back) in a vehicle with your friend, her husband and her two boys (7 and 9).

16 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

haha yes it can be easier to think of all the good parts on being parents but it certainly comes with the tough ones as well! :P

Those waffles look delish! :)

17 Annette (with a side of brownies) June 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

I have four kids whom I love dearly. I am so glad diaper days are over. You said you wanted them two years apart, well there is five years between the first two, my oldest a girl potty trained easy, my second a boy when he turned two he just wasnt ready like the girls was so I waited. I then I found out I was PG with two more and I didnt get the first boy trained until after they were born. The twins didnt get trained at the same time either (one was ready the other, not so much). so I was changing diapers for seven years strait, however I’m still not dione whiping behinds 9 years later. Sorry if I scared anybody, but poop happens ;)

18 amanda June 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

1. stretch marks LOL since your tiny you might get them more easily! I know I sure did (but im not that tiny lol)
2. no sleep at night for at least the first few wks
3. gotta get married first LOL
4. we went on a honeymoon cruise and I was hooked so I HAD to go on one when the baby 7 months old….AHH completely different

but your time will come for a sweet new baby ;)

19 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy June 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

Water parks help cure my baby fever. This week at Typhoon Lagoon there were a bunch of British kids running around, and they areso cute when they behave, but a British accent screaming “but dad-dey, mummey said i could stay here!!!” put me over the top – had to go home shortly afterwards…

20 bobbi June 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I so needed this, this morning. I was almost in tears this morning when I saw on Facebook that another one of my friends is pregnant! I need to sign up to do the half iron man with you!!!!

21 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups June 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Babies definitely can give baby fever. They’re so cute and perfect. Even when they cry, they’re cute! Now hang out with a bunch of hyper 2 to 3 year olds…fever cured!

22 Jessica June 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Babysit for a stubborn 2 year old and a very active 10 month old month old who are both still in diapers! Or, for me, just hearing about all the gross and painful things that happen during pregnancy and delivery definitely cures the baby fever for at least a few months!

23 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I bet a cruise in October would be a great time to go. Plus, you’re enjoying the tropics before you have to start throwing on the sweaters & jackets!

24 Sarah for Real June 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

My cure for baby fever is the fact that I’ll have to get over being a perfectionist. Sure I can have visions of children who eat whatever wholesome foods I provide and turn their noses up at Grandpa’s Lucky Charms… But my guess is that’s just one of 10,000 things that won’t go as I’d planned. I don’t think I’m ready for that yet. I don’t want to be a helicopter parent.

25 Homa June 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I am giddy over my son turning 1 and my daughter turning 3 in August but I still don’t get to sleep through the night so sleep is the best cure for baby fever, I agree! Enjoy being a couple, travel somewhere like Australia, and give yourself time to get your business off the ground. You are still young! Congrats on Derek’s niece, I am always happy to hear of babies arriving safely!

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

def know that sleeping in is THE best without babies!!

27 Michelle June 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm

If baby fever ever strikes again, I will gladly record the morning I had with my kids and send it to you (yet, the despite that I still want a 3rd – I’m pretty sure I’m certifiable).

I think most jealous of your sleeping in!

28 Hilary June 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Mmmm…Saturday breakfast! I started my day with French toast. :)

29 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Oh I could go on forever on adding to that list. Here’s a couple:
-have a nice cold beer (or glass of wine) and remember you can’t do that for 9 months or longer if breast feeding with a kid
-run a super quick errand in 10 mins. That would’ve taken about 30 to just get out the door with a baby in tow.

No baby fever for me! ;)

30 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm

How to cure baby fever? Sit down and calculate how much it costs to raise a child all the way through college – yeah, that is a sobering activity.

31 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm

breakfast looks delicious. I have no baby fever. I never have. But I have serious puppy fever!

32 Biz June 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Never being able to go to a sit down restaurant from when your child is about 18 months to 4 years old, because they cannot wait to get their food and are too curious about the restaurant and need to walk around.

I’ll never forget on a family reunion, we always would pick one night to get an expensive meal. I ordered the lobster and steak combo – even back when Hannah was 2 1/2, (17 years ago) my dinner cost $25, which was a lot of money for me then.

She was great right up to when our food arrived, and she would not sit still at all. I ended up walking with her up and down the peer, thinking I’ll just have to have my leftovers the next day.

The next day, I am looking in my Aunt’s fridge and I was like “where are my leftovers?” She said – “oh, I thought the doggie bag was for the dogs so I gave it to them already.” Yep, $25 spent on two bites of steak!

It’s weird though, I am about to have my 25th reunion, and the guy who had his locker next to me is just having is second child – I can’t imagine being a parent of a new born at 43!

33 marie June 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Just being around kids does it for me. Do not want.

34 Allison June 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm

My kids are the most wonderful, amazing things that have ever happened to me, but if you want to cure baby fever, just spend a little time with a brand new mom. Leaking breasts, bleeding, blood clots, soaking your stiches if you have them, hemrroids (thankfully only had with one) and walking around without realizing you have spit up down your back. As my sister-in-law likes to joke “It is not a sexy time”.

35 Grace June 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Seeing as I am currently watching a three year old I think that is a great way to cure baby fever… because babies turn into bd little three year olds. Your waffles look amazing!

36 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm

How to cure baby fever- work at a daycare! Works for me :)

37 BroccoliHut June 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

My addition to the list: change a dirty diaper. Ick. Much worse than picking up dog poo.
On a completely different note–your waffles look wonderful!

38 Claire June 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

Those waffles look INCREDIBLE! And vacations + shopping is my baby fever cure. Can’t quite spend multiple hundreds of dollars on home goods when you have a kid, haha!

39 Lauren June 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

All very good cures for baby fever! I think when you’re eventually ready, you won’t feel like you’re sacrificing anything. This is what I keep telling myself. :)

40 Emily June 6, 2011 at 12:21 am

I’ve got a major baby cure. Treating yourself to a coffee at a coffee shop to get some major work done only to discover it seems to be some sort of mommy and terrible two group.

41 Jess@atasteofconfidence June 7, 2011 at 10:54 am

Number 6 is high for me. Along with liking to sleep:)

42 Aleyta June 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm

It’s okay to have baby fever every now and then. It’s healthy! It shows you that you want that in your future, at some point :) Until then get pointers from your friends and family with babies and TRAVEL.
Travel as much as you can :) You can do everything else with a baby but traveling is HARD. And expensive :) Love your blog xxoo