Beating the Heat

by Meghann on June 4, 2011

A couple of things you never want to happen in Florida in the summertime.

1. Have the AC in your car break
  2. Have the AC in your house break

See a pattern there?

Unfortunately Derek and I have fallen under the latter. πŸ™

We’ve seen the signs that our AC unit wasn’t going to last much longer for weeks now. It would turn itself off for hours at a time and then randomly turn itself on for a few minutes before shutting itself off again. It’s hanging on a very, very thing thread that’s about the snap.

Currently I’m sitting in my living room with the least amount of clothes as possible on and I am sweating up a storm. Hopefully we’ll get this fixed soon because a broken AC in the Florida summer heat is NOT something you want to put off fixing. Trust me.

Derek and I have been combatting the heat by spending as much time away from our house as possible.

We started with a visit with baby Marley (who is even more beautiful than last night and thriving!) before heading to lunch at Square 1 Burgers ( I had a Groupon πŸ˜‰ )

I built my own burger by checking off a veggie burger with tomatoes, grilled onions, grilled pineapple, and chipotle ketchup on a bed of greens.

Great veggie burger. The best part was how it crumbled at my fork – a good sign that it’s homemade and not deep fried.

With Sweet Potato fries.

After lunch I cooled off at Berryism (using yet another Groupon!) with FroYo

IMG_0216.jpg

Original Tart with Chocolate Chips, Raspberries, and Kiwis.

Want to know the best way to beat the heat?

An hour massage at an air conditioned studio. πŸ˜‰

What? It was better than sitting at home in the heat. πŸ˜‰

I’ve actually been meaning to get a massage for a while. My upper back needed some TLC and the masseuse was great at working out all the knots. She commented on how my calves and my shoulders were what really needed the most work and spent the majority of her time working those area.

She also asked if I was a runner or if I wore high heels a lot because my calves said as much. I am pretty proud of the definition of my calves. πŸ™‚

Dinner tonight required no heat and no oven. If I had the ingredients on hand to make smoothies, I probably would have made that. Instead I took another stab at Homemade Hummus and was once again victorious.

Only this time I used a little of the chickpea water with the chickpeas, lemon juice, and tahini. The results were a creamy, silky hummus.

On the side I had a selection of carrots, cheese, ham slices, cucumber, broccoli and mini pitas.

I’m very tempted to spend the rest of the evening in front of the fridge with the door wide open….. or maybe taking an ice bath. For once, an ice bath doesn’t sound half bad.

Good Night!

1 Holly @ Pink Runner June 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I LOVE Sweet Potato fries!!!!! They are my favorite thing ever!! The veggies and hummus look good too!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Wedding and Sushi

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm

We’re trying really hard not to turn on the AC before the summer starts, and thankfully the weather in NJ has been cooperating!

Glad to hear baby Marley is doing well!

And how many yogurt places are there in Florida? I hear you going to a new one every time πŸ˜‰
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..An Inverted Pizza

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Oh no! I hope it gets fixed soon. I honestly cannot sleep when I’m hot – good luck!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

4 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

No ac when you’re trying to sleep is the absolute worst! Hope you guys get it fixed soon. Isn’t it funny how things like that always break on weekends when getting a repair person is so much more difficult (and expensive)!?
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

5 Jenna June 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm

that creat your own burger and froyo look simply delish!
Jenna recently posted..Hello June!

6 Hilary June 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Total scores with the groupons…way to go! Looks like smart ways to beat the heat too, hope your AC is fixed soon!
Hilary recently posted..Chill out!

7 Carissa June 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Sooo how does one make homemade hummus? Do you need Tahini? And congrats on the group on success tonight!

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I live in California, which I’m sure isn’t as bad as Florida, but I don’t have AC in my car and it is MISERABLE sometimes!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

9 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I definitely know how you feel with the heat because we don’t have AC and didn’t have any last summer!

We got used to it but our friends didn’t!

That veggie burger looks AMAZING! mm mm!
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..When the Going Gets Tough- the Tough Gets Vegin’

10 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 4, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Exactly! I have baby fever too but I’m not quite ready to deal with everything that entails with a baby..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW &amp The Move In

11 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East June 5, 2011 at 6:06 am

Sorry about the AC! That sucks! Our car AC was broken for about 2 weeks and it was pure hell!

The veggie burger looks fabulous! YUM!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Pasta with roasted tomatoes- peppers- and sausage

12 jill June 5, 2011 at 7:01 am

Meghann, I do notice that you often have spelling or grammatical mistakes in your posts….for example, it’s latter, not ladder! Not being a hater (I love the blog), it just often jumps out at me and I figure it might to potential clients or employers too.

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 5, 2011 at 7:17 am

Our A/C broke in September two years ago. It wasn’t TOO bad with the heat in GA at the time so we held off on fixing the stupid almost $10,000 repair. Then it became June of last year. We had to wait 5 weeks for a repair and I went through half the summer with no A/C while pregnant. I wanted to cry. LOL

Hope yours gets fixed easier/quicker/cheaper! πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

14 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 5, 2011 at 8:25 am

Good luck with the air–I can honestly relate as my car AC is out. It makes for a long, sweaty drive!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Simply Delicious Part I

15 Marie June 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

It’s “the latter.”

Sorry, these things just sear my eyes.

16 Claire June 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

Our AC is on the fritz, too! It’s awful. And that burger looks DELICIOUS!!
Claire recently posted..Amazing Weekend Plans

17 Michelle June 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

My a/c has started making a very loud noise (outside) when it turns off. It’s freaking me out!!

I lost a/c a few times in college after having parties because we didn’t realize that turning it down so low can cause it to freeze. Oops.
Michelle recently posted..First Group Run

18 Kristen June 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh no! Broken AC is the worst, my unit is doing the same thing – turning on and off, hope the landlord will replace it! Hopefully you can fix yours soon.

19 Kelsey June 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

My husband and I go on Groupon dates too! Love it.
Kelsey recently posted..Convenience of Brosix Automatic Update

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

those sweet potato fries look aMAZing!

I love massages, usually it is my back and shoulders that are the most sore….from all the weight lifting πŸ˜‰

21 Amy @ love4living June 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I love your hair Meghann! Even with the heat you speak of, your hair looks super cute!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Survey Sunday