Vacation Dreaming

by Meghann on June 3, 2011

No, baby yet.

Actually, no hospital yet.

Well… not for us.

I was a little ambitious when I stated ‘we were on our way’ at 9:30 this morning – umm…. before Derek was actually awake and the car packed. oops. I assumed we would be there all day – Derek assumed later in the afternoon. Just a little criss-cross of communication.

Oh well. πŸ™‚

Being at home did afford me the ability to make a tasty lunch. =

This bowl of yumminess more than made up from the failed attempt of flavors yesterday. Luckily, you can really never go wrong with a baked sweet potato, a fried egg, cheese, and salsa.

No, this was perfect.

Vacation Dreaming

I’m thinking of saving up for a nice tropical getaway after the Healthy Living Summit in August and my Half Ironman in September. What better way to recover from a HIM than on a tropical beach somewhere? πŸ˜‰

If you were planning a quick tropical getaway – where would you go? err…. Where would you go on a budget? A really, really tight budget?

1 Chelsie June 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Vegas, but that’s not really “tropical.” I love Costa Rica, and I’m pretty sure that can be done on a tight, tight budget.
Chelsie recently posted..Since I last posted

2 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I second Costa Rica. Although trips from Orlando/Tampa to Puerto Rico are really cheap and so is everything on the island.
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..A New Running Route

3 Amy June 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

What about Bermuda?
Amy recently posted..Wear sunscreen

4 Sarah for Real June 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Hmm… really really tight budget + tropical vacations don’t combine in my region. But since you’re in Florida, seems maybe something in state or near-by (like the Caribbean) might be an option?

I am dying to go back to the Cook Islands (south pacific). Think, little hut all to yourself on a quiet beach on a small island for around $200 per night. But the flights there are so expensive it’s only worthwhile to go for 7 or more days which really adds up.

5 Krissy @ Shiawase Life June 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I would do a cruise! When we lived in FL it was so nice to be able to book a cheap last minute one…miss that =)

6 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas June 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

There’s a website that I’ve been looking at called Luxury Link – where they have vacations at big %% off. You can search by area or all inclusive (which I love bc I just want to get to vacation and have everything paid for) and either bid on a trip (like ebay) or just purchase it. It gives you the exact names of the hotels so you can go to other sites and read reviews. It’s pretty awesome. I’ve been staring at a trip to the Dominican Republic for weeks… 4 nights all inclusive for 2 ppl for $526. Swoon. Alas, my first priority for the summer is paying off my last credit card (and I’m almost done with it!).
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Happy National Running Day- 5 Reasons a Non-Runner Should Start Running

7 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I would definitely do a cruise! Since you live in Florida you have access to all sorts of tropical cruises to the bahamas, which I am way jealous of being all the way in Seattle. Plus you can find cheap deals through airline websites or places like TravelZoo and Kayak.
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..I love sandwiches

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Can’t claim to know much about Costa Rica, but I’ve been to the Dominican on a grad trip and it was great (having said that, we did grad trip activities – lay on the beach and enjoy pina coladas – alllll day.. might not be what you’re after). I’ve never been on a cruise before, but I’ve heard really good things about them. Since you’re paying a flat rate right up front, that might be a way to control the spend – provided you can find a good AND cheap one!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The Good and the Bad

9 michelle June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

A cruise. Or all inclusive in Mexico
michelle recently posted..Get Fit Fast – Workout Log

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

We are on a really tight budget as well! The key is to find an all inclusive place and if you trip is less than a week, don’t go on the weekend days or at least don’t fly on the weekend. Mexico Jamaica and the AVI are all good choices πŸ™‚

Best wishes for another baby’s arrival! πŸ™‚

11 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm

A tropical vacation sounds awesome. πŸ˜‰ I dream of Visiting Hawaii again, maybe one of the lesser visited islands?

12 Bobbi June 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

CALIFORNIA!!!! You can stay with me πŸ™‚

13 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

We recently went to an all-inclusive in Mexico (playa del carmen). Mexico was MUCH cheaper than the Caribbean. Loved it! I bet it would be cheap in the late summer too b/c most people go in the late winter/fall.
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Mexico can be a good budget vacation.

I’m not a fan of beach vacations though so my input is restricted to the only “southern” place I’ve been to.

15 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] June 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Me and my girlfriends had almost no money, but we found an awesome 5 day cruise out of Miami for only 350 dollars! We booked super early and were maniacs about finding the perfect thing. Otherwise North Carolina is relatively cheap and probably beautiful in September!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Meuse Γ  Velo

16 Jody June 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Check Travel Zoo for deals! I’ve been to a bunch of places and I liked the Playa Del Carmen/Riviera Maya area of Mexico the best for a budget beach vacation. It’s south of Cancun, easy to get to, and there are lots of all inclusive resorts. We like to stay close to downtown Playa Del Carmen, which is really cute and a great place to walk around so you don’t feel “stuck” at a resort. There is lots to do there (Mayan ruins, snorkeling, etc.) or you can do nothing at all. πŸ™‚ Good luck in your search!!

17 Ashlee (Ash & Lew Plus 2) June 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

You could always cruise on the Carnival Dream in December! We found a seriously great deal and it leaves from Port Canaveral!
Ashlee (Ash & Lew Plus 2) recently posted..Glorious Naptime!

18 Samantha June 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Check out cruises! If you try to book a month or a few weeks before the cruise, you can usually get something at a heavy discount because they’re desperate to fill all of the rooms. You’ll probably get an inside room, but who cares? You won’t be in it for most of the trip anyway!
Samantha recently posted..Stretching Before A Run

19 Hope June 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm

What about the Bahamas? That might be cheaper since you live in Florida. It might not cost as much to travel to. Plus, it’s very relaxing and nice there. I went there several years ago and stayed at a resort called Our Lucaya. I think it’s still there. So nice πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Loving the Grill &amp Stressful Morning…

20 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit June 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I agree with Samantha – especially since you’re in Florida, you can find some amazing deals on cruises to the Caribbean / Mexico and not have to worry about any airfare. I’ve been dying to go to all of the “St” islands personally.
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..I can run faster

21 Jo June 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm

go to the Bahamas. Cheaper because it’s closer and flights are affordable. ALso get an all inclusive package. saves lots.

22 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Definitely go to the Dominican Republic. It’s gorgeous there, and it shouldn’t be too expensive to fly from Florida!

I’ve never tried savory flavors on sweet potatoes before, but I think I’ll have to try some day πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Loaded

23 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) June 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The Bahamas is pretty cheap and fast from Florida, right? Haven’t been there but throwing it out there.

For somewhere more exotic but still budget-friendly, I have to recommend Costa Rica. Very cheap once you’re there and absolutely gorgeous.
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Young Small House Love

24 Angela June 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This is what I blog about, lol! Depending on your specific budget, I would do a short cruise, Dominican, or see what the best special is at cheapcarribean.com or on travelzoo! Key West is a pretty good tropical getaway also, especially for Floridians.
Angela recently posted..NYC on a Budget

25 Lizzy June 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I would highly recommend New Orleans. I went there for spring break one year during college. Stay in a hostel and create a challenge to find inexpensive restaurants and bars in the area. Surprisingly, there are many to choose from!!
Lizzy recently posted..In a New York State of Mind

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Mexico!! We went on our honeymoon there and we looovveeed it. All inclusive resorts are great for being on a budget. πŸ™‚

27 Andrea June 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I would choose somewhere off livingsocial escapes or hautelook vacations…they usually have some rest all inclusive options…I want a tropical vacation too!

28 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

A tropical vacation on the cheap? Let me know when you figure it out πŸ™‚

For a pretty cheap vacation last year we went to Vegas — you can make it as spendy or as cheap as you want to!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

29 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oh my, baked sweet ‘tater is the best! Loving it. Especially a loaded one πŸ™‚
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Meatless Meals and Escapees

30 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy June 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

It’s funny b/c you live in Tampa and most folks would consider that a tropical getaway πŸ˜› You can try somewhere on the gulf coast like Siesta Key or Sanibel Island. That way you aren’t paying for airfare! If you feel like going further I’d definitely say Key West since you can drive and get a place with a kitchenette to save on food too (they have a full Publix there). We just had a beach weekend in St Pete Beach (Pass-a-Grille) for our wedding and stayed at the Coconut Inn, very charming and reasonable $$ too.
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..What’s in my Kitchen

31 Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl June 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I echo those from above! My vote is for Mexico. If you go all inclusive, you can get some great deals πŸ™‚
Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl recently posted..Sometimes Healthy – A Day in the Life

32 Amy @ love4living June 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Mexico is close to you and there are plenty of great deals out there too!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Why FaceBook Sucks sometimes

33 Amy @ love4living June 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm

And no, Mexico is not dangerous. AT ALL. There is more crime in the states than there — because I know some nitwit would probably comment about it lol

34 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Cruise! Since you’re in FL it will be easy to get on one.. and I hear they’re pretty cheap. Plus, you’d get to go to several destinations instead of just 1!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Making Some Ch-ch-ch-Changes!

35 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Apparently Central America is pretty cheap!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

36 Jen @ Jen is Awesome June 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Key West!! The hubs and I are going in a couple of weeks! And you can drive there… our favorite part is stoping at each key along the way (lots of good food and drinks)!

37 Julie June 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm

If you don’t mind being tropical state-side, I would suggest Key West! Comparable prices to Tampa, not toooo bad a drive, and so, so pretty and fun!

38 Su June 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Margarita, Venezuela πŸ˜€

39 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes June 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm

St. Maarten!!! I don’t know how budget friendly it is, but I’m sure you can find a deal. We have a timeshare there and it is the MOST friendly island. I’ll vouch for a phenomenal time…It’s amazing!!! Go!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..The death of me…

40 courtney (pancakes and postcards) June 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

DR, or caribbean somewhere all-inclusive. Living in SF that’s not so cheap for me, but it should be for you! πŸ™‚
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..National Running Day Slightly behind Per usual

41 Alaina June 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm

If budget wasn’t an issue, I would love to go to Turks & Caicos. If budget was a concern I would find an all-inclusive Sandals resort. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon

42 skinnyrunner June 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm

mexico? its cheap but is that really far from florida? ok i could be the worst at geography in the world.

43 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I would look on cheapcarribean.com! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

44 Hilary June 3, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mmmm…love that flavour combo (or at least I think I would). There are lots of cheap packaged vacations out there…why not look into an all-inclusive? I went to Domincan and it was nice…and I think there’s some reasonable deals to be had out there.
Hilary recently posted..You’ve been soft served!

45 Janet June 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I would go on a Cruise! Since you live in Florida, you will be able to get AMAZING last minute deals (I recommend Carnival or Royal Caribbean). Plus, the meals are included and you won’t have to fly! Gotta pay for drinks though, but no cover charge for the clubs/bars/casinos at least! If three broke college girls (myself and two friends) could afford a Spring Break cruise, then you should have no problem!

46 Crystal June 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Check out http://www.luxurylink.com They have some great vacation packages beachy places in the US as well as to the Caribbean and Mexico. I just recently took a vacation to Cancun at an all-inclusive that we got for an amazing deal thru that website.
Crystal recently posted..Leaving on a Jet Plane

47 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma June 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I know a lot of people said cruises….I agree – you can do the 4 day cruise, and they aren’t too $$
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..Ate – Eight 8

48 kelly September 2, 2011 at 12:17 am

You could come to the Yukon Territory, where I live, and stay in my house while I go to your place for a change! (House exchange) Its not tropical, but 100% different from Tampa, and you would love the sceanery. We have Mt. Logan, the tallest peak in NA. Google: Kluane National Park. We live at the foot of it.” Have fun no matter where you go and everywhere you are is a vacation!!” πŸ™‚